Cliques

Options

Replies

• george5911
    george5911 Posts: 3,910 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    I don't really see cliques. I rarely post outside of chit chat and the fun and games. I do spend a lot of time reading in the other areas, but I still have more to absorb than deal there. I think theres a large group of the "above you" posters that seem to never wander outside of that (myself included), but if you've ever been in there they clearly love everyone. It's like the 60's.

Still fairly new here myself and everyone has been nothing short of welcoming and hospitable. I do see some "pass-over", but have chalked that up to being people who know each other better.

• bojack5
    bojack5 Posts: 2,859 Member
    Options
    What exactly is a clique? If it's just a group of friends interacting is that bad? I guess if it's exclusionary or a hunting pack mentality it's bad, but I honestly don't see any dangerous people here.
  • mustacheU2Lift
    mustacheU2Lift Posts: 5,844 Member
    Options
    theres team doritos, and then theres others

Team Doritos all the way! I don't have clique but I have the Doritos crew and my Swolemate Bestie <3
    Yep no clique here. Team doritos only

But i see massive amounts of cliques on this forum. Ill root for the underdogs

Can you give examples of the cliques that you see? I don't see "massive amounts."

I definitely see mostly the same people who will comment on the same kind of topic, but I don't view them as cliques.

Maybe everyone has diff opinions on what cliques is. But to me, i can write one comment and no one would giv a sh1t. Another person can write the same exact thing and all their buddies ( or to me , their “group” )will come out and have a 5 hour chat about it

Its why i dont even care to post much. Some peoples posts will get overlooked. Others will always get a response cause they r more popular

I can definitely say ive seen this. Guess you could debate the whys. But as a mod said the other day...groups, groups. Groupies...lol or something along those lines. But i think only the cliques will get that statement. :#
  • Teamleslie
    Teamleslie Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Can someone jump me in one of these cliques?
  • caco_ethes
    caco_ethes Posts: 11,962 Member
    Options
    There is an air of exclusiveness in many areas. Anytime a few or group of people make others uncomfortable, you are a clique. Though I can appreciate "being on here a long time" and inside jokes based on past experiences, take those elbow rubbing thoughts offline and email each other directly...spare the new folks. Many of them are looking for diet, nutrition and exercise support, which is as much emotional as anything. If they want another place to feel like a social out cast, Facebook serves.

Takes little effort to notice a "group" who seem to always hoover on certain topics or pounce on new posters and ideas not in the "norm". Can avoid them, once you know their MFP Ids but God help you if one those "cliques" descends on your post. If they can even stay on topic instead of drawing it off onto some obscure word someone not in their mind set stated.

Yes...there are cliques and some are pretty darn vicious. Kindness, even when you don't agree with someone or acknowledgement of a new face with just the slightest shout out of a "hi" would change the face of MFP rapidly and the cliquiness of it all.

Is this in reference to all of mfp or chit chat specifically?
  • george5911
    Options
    caco_ethes wrote: »
    In general I would say this place is most enjoyable if you understand that

1. Most people in chit chat are being silly and not intending anyone any harm

b. There are no secret inside jokes. Just things that happened before you came along. Don’t begrudge long time users the experiences they had together before you came along. Just ask what it’s about. When I first came around, half of my posts were “I don’t get it :grimace: “ and someone always explained.

2. Lots of things look like inside jokes but aren’t. I say dumb things to people all the time as though we’ve known each other for years. Other times to people I know well I’ll make a joke about something that probably looks like an inside joke when really I’m just saying the most ridiculous thing I can think of, knowing that they’re going to roll with it.

G. 9 times out of 10, the posts that get glommed onto are either troll posts or they are posts that people don’t ever revisit. The longer you’re here, the more you will become aware of these transient posters. They’ll start a thread, never to return. It turns into a playground for that reason.

4. I’m only still itemizing things because no list is complete unless you have four items

Man nipples
  • caco_ethes
    Options
    george5911 wrote: »

b. There are no secret inside jokes. Just things that happened before you came along. Don’t begrudge long time users the experiences they had together before you came along. Just ask what it’s about. When I first came around, half of my posts were “I don’t get it :grimace: “ and someone always explained.

2. Lots of things look like inside jokes but aren’t. I say dumb things to people all the time as though we’ve known each other for years. Other times to people I know well I’ll make a joke about something that probably looks like an inside joke when really I’m just saying the most ridiculous thing I can think of, knowing that they’re going to roll with it.

G. 9 times out of 10, the posts that get glommed onto are either troll posts or they are posts that people don’t ever revisit. The longer you’re here, the more you will become aware of these transient posters. They’ll start a thread, never to return. It turns into a playground for that reason.

4. I’m only still itemizing things because no list is complete unless you have four items

Man nipples

It’s like you can see into my soul
  • george5911
    Options

Man nipples

just following your lead
  • caco_ethes
    Options
    Teamleslie wrote: »
    Can someone jump me in one of these cliques?

@kinetixtrainer2 she wants to be jumped, you seem like a solid candidate
  • caco_ethes
    Options
    lstrat115 wrote: »

Team Doritos all the way! I don't have clique but I have the Doritos crew and my Swolemate Bestie <3

Can you give examples of the cliques that you see? I don't see "massive amounts."

I definitely see mostly the same people who will comment on the same kind of topic, but I don't view them as cliques.

Maybe everyone has diff opinions on what cliques is. But to me, i can write one comment and no one would giv a sh1t. Another person can write the same exact thing and all their buddies ( or to me , their “group” )will come out and have a 5 hour chat about it

Its why i dont even care to post much. Some peoples posts will get overlooked. Others will always get a response cause they r more popular

I can definitely say ive seen this. Guess you could debate the whys. But as a mod said the other day...groups, groups. Groupies...lol or something along those lines. But i think only the cliques will get that statement. :#

She was referring to starting private groups. You can do that on MFP. It is part of the forums but you have to be invited to join the group. I understood her point because of what I said but that would be truly excluding people.

And that’s the real reason those groups don’t take off. Because ultimately chit chat is entertaining because it’s so many different personalities.
  • caco_ethes
    Options

Man nipples

just following your lead

And yet I don’t see your nipples :expressionless:
  • mustacheU2Lift
    Options

She was referring to starting private groups. You can do that on MFP. It is part of the forums but you have to be invited to join the group. I understood her point because of what I said but that would be truly excluding people.

I get why she was saying it. Hence my joke.
  • Sami488
    Sami488 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I’m pretty new here and I wouldn’t say I’ve noticed cliques.
    What I see are people who know each other and have inside jokes and conversations. But that just comes with time and being an active poster.
    Will there be people you “clique” with more, sure. I’m sure you may be more active on certain members posts as compared to others. In my opinion this is normal behavior and doesn’t upset me to see.
  • caco_ethes
    Options

I get why she was saying it. Hence my joke.

Guys, guys.. can you take this conversation elsewhere? We’re trying to talk about man nipples here
  • mustacheU2Lift
    Options
    Interesting...i guess Wed have to define clique. Im definitely a loner in these here parts.

Loner clique then

Pretty much and im ok with that :)
    Taking members applications currently. Must be weird. @SurfyPantsResurfaced if she comes back :)

I miss her :(

I know ...chatted with her the other day and shes doing good. Just enjoying life like she does.
  • caco_ethes
    Options
    Interesting...i guess Wed have to define clique. Im definitely a loner in these here parts.

Loner clique then

Taking members applications currently. Must be weird. @SurfyPantsResurfaced if she comes back :)

I know ...chatted with her the other day and shes doing good. Just enjoying life like she does.

Why did she leave?
  • george5911
    Options

Man nipples

just following your lead

And yet I don’t see your nipples :expressionless:

But I provided a great demonstration of exactly what you are describing. If you must, you know where to go. I don't wish to muddle your educational thread here with such debauchery.
  • mustacheU2Lift
    Options

Loner clique then

Why did she leave?

I dont want to speak for her. Not over mfp drama as some people will jump to assume. But shes adorable as ever.
  • caco_ethes
    Options
    Sami488 wrote: »
    I’m pretty new here and I wouldn’t say I’ve noticed cliques.
    What I see are people who know each other and have inside jokes and conversations. But that just comes with time and being an active poster.
    Will there be people you “clique” with more, sure. I’m sure you may be more active on certain members posts as compared to others. In my opinion this is normal behavior and doesn’t upset me to see.

See, someone woo’d this. That’s the sort of thing I don’t get. Some people are just salty and there’s no changing that. Are you trying to drive a newish person into hiding? Sheesh. Cheer up or go away