Less Alcohol- July 2018- One Day at a Time

Replies

• kittybenn
    kittybenn Posts: 444 Member
    Am with @JulieAL1969 and @salleewins on the treats. We can't cut ALL the fun stuff out of our lives. I'm actually a bit hooked on those new Trader Joe's Girl Scout thin mint knockoffs - "Dark Chocolate Mint Coins." I measure out my daily allotment in a little bowl in the refrig, LOL. I enjoy every single one of those eight, very small cookies!
  • kittybenn
    kittybenn Posts: 444 Member
    @jaime920 - Welcome! We have all been there with the frustration and throwing in the towel. I love this thread called "What's Your Most Recent NSV" - https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1275030/whats-your-most-recent-nsv#latest

Very inspirational - and cutting down on alcohol for sure is an excellent NSV (nonscale victory).
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    For those of you looking for something sweet and a liquid treat may I suggest:

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/246986/tiki-cooler/?internalSource=recipe hub&referringId=1822&referringContentType=recipe hub&clickId=cardslot 40

It is a very summer holiday NA drink. It is a touch sweet for me but that is probably because I am accustomed to having the alcohol in it.
  • snoo61
    snoo61 Posts: 549 Member
    NormInv wrote: »
    snoo61 wrote: »
    Today was Day 8

I know I am not being very supportive but I do appreciate seeing all of you making progress

You'll be supportive when you can be. In the meantime you have my support. 8 days is amazing. I'm glad you're back, I missed your humor. :)
    And just so you know, my progress doesn't exist. I'm backsliding, for about a week now. Life happens, death happened, I didn't deal as well as I would like. You are not alone.

Thank you for the kind words. The thing is we're still here, we still come to this place, that itself shows we are self aware and fighting. We may not win all battles but we shall win the war. Sorry for your loss, here for you.

You're right, the fight continues. I look forward to realizing its become a journey instead of a war. We can all get there, we have each other.
  • salleewins
    salleewins Posts: 2,308 Member
    edited July 2018
    Oh no, I don't give up on having treats. The problem is that I am eating too many at times. I buckled down yesterday again after all those lower fat Oreos and diet Pepsi,lol. Anyways I plan to make the following with Stevia for the holiday. I am going to grate the ginger today and have everything ready for after an 11 hour shift. https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/247355/ginger-beer. No alcohol.
  • RubyRed427
    RubyRed427 Posts: 4,155 Member
    @amiclon Welcome! We could learn a lot from you. I did read and learn from the book Drinking: a Love Story. That was the first book I read in January. So happy you are celebrating 3.33 years sober. Amazing! Keep your suggestions and comments coming! Xo
  • NormInv
    NormInv Posts: 3,285 Member
    Today was Day 8

I know I am not being very supportive but I do appreciate seeing all of you making progress

I like seeing you make progress also. 8 days in is definitely progress!! And like you said, "we're still here...we still come to this place." Keep up the fight! :)

Thank you, you too!
  • NormInv
    NovusDies wrote: »
    "Sitting on the porch watching cars go by is a better use of my time off than drinking" and things like that.

Agree 100%.

Also, I dont know who said it here but it is correct that you get over a hump around Day 10 and it should get easier after that
  • NovusDies
    "Sitting on the porch watching cars go by is a better use of my time off than drinking" and things like that.

Agree 100%.

Also, I dont know who said it here but it is correct that you get over a hump around Day 10 and it should get easier after that

It was from @JulieAL1969's list of general tips which I think she learned from her copious amounts of research.

• snoo61
    It's true @NormInv Day 10 is a pivotal time point. I remember buying a bracelet at day 10 because it seemed I passed a major hurdle.

I am feeling better today emotionally. Yesterday, i was sad and weepy for the strangest reason. I arrived on our vacation and it was a Fourth of July celebration- every one was at the outdoor bar drinking, seemed everyone had a wine or beer in their hand but me. I felt like a pouting child. I simply didn't allow myself to drink and I was feeling left out. I saved myself about 4-5 drinks which would have been my normal vacation intake.

Today, I woke up feeling accomplished and over the mopey feeling. I had no headache. Ate healthy salads for lunch and dinner yesterday and no snacks. I probably saved Myself 500 calories yesterday or more!

I was on the NOMO app today and saw a woman posted that she is on this AF journey alone and has no one to help her. I want to reach out to her and tell her about our thread. I am once again sooooo thankful I have you guys to depend on. I love reading your posts. @NovusDies Seems that we both do a lot of self talk which is very helpful. The old me would have succumbed to the holiday temptation of drinking. The new me does a ton of self talk about why I shouldnt.

Congratulations! Way to reward your "tomorrow you"! If you haven't already, telling that woman about this thread is a great idea. :)
  • NovusDies
    edited July 2018
    @JulieAL1969 I do find self-talk helpful. I am also done believing that alcohol enhances certain experiences which, in the past, was probably my most powerful lie.

Good job yesterday keeping the adult in charge even when the inner kid was acting up. That doesn't sound like it was an easy day. You are definitely right. In the not so distant past we would have both had drinks in our hands yesterday.
  • lorrainequiche59
    lorrainequiche59 Posts: 900 Member
    I am also done believing that alcohol enhances certain experiences which, in the past, was probably my most powerful lie.

YES, we are all "conditioned" to believe lies when it comes to alcohol. The only thing that alcohol "enchances" in me is my ability to forget & to say stupid things I would never normally say without alcohol clouding my good judgement. I have had so many wasted experiences because I wasn't available mentally or emotionally because alcohol took me hostage through most of it.

SO thankful to be AF!!!! To be present for my life is WAY better than being preoccupied with numbing myself with alcohol. I do NOT want to be overconfident in saying this, but I believe I am ready to commit to this now. I've been working my way here through a lot of lapses in my drinking. The only difference between then & now is my thinking is definitely changing. Thanks in a large part to the support & all the really good references that I'm taking advantage of on this thread. <3 to all the supportive people here :)
  • lorrainequiche59
    Not certain what I am doing wrong when I quote someone & then my comment is contained in the quote. Any suggestions....not that it matters, but just wondering.
  • NormInv
    Not certain what I am doing wrong when I quote someone & then my comment is contained in the quote. Any suggestions....not that it matters, but just wondering.

step 1: put the wine down....
  • snoo61

step 1: put the wine down....

:D that cracked me up!
  • lorrainequiche59
    step 1: put the wine down....[/quote]

I know I'm a bit of a techno-tard!! Thanks for the suggestion though ;)