WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JULY 2018

Options

Replies

• SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,428 Member
    Options
    ryenday wrote: »
    Lanette yes there is some research suggesting that fasting (full ffasting) post 65 might not be as beneficial but is there any research on the 5:2 type of restricted calorie day’s?

Brazil nuts! When I started my diet I had one per week (again, b/c selenium) but stopped that. I might have to start that back up. I didn’t really like them, and kinda considered it to be like a once a week vitamin.

Thanks! I think we are often looking at the same stuff :)

Rye
    - Mosley's Youtube presentations included a BBC Horizon presentation - How to stay healthy, all about women. There were several others, all of them good. I tried to find the one where he mentions low-carbing on the fast days and of course couldn't find it.

As far as fasting being OK for older folks - I found some comments on the FastDiet forums where folks over 60 did well with weight loss on the 5:2.

Also could not find the TedX presentations I found earlier, but there are plenty on there if a person has time to kill, lol. I don't recall they were on fasting per se, tho Valter Longo had one I skimmed through. Looks like Mattson has one as well.

Love your kitties hugging each other! You definitely have a cat loving home!

Carol
    - prayers going up for a good outcome with your DnL's brother.

Lanette
    SW WA State
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,727 Member
    Options
    Pppp
  • ryenday
    ryenday Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    Lanette I am continuing to try and have a low sugar and low refined grain diet. I am now reading The Case Against
    Sugar to keep me inspired. I am finding it easier to keep out the refined grains then sugar. In reading labels sugar or a type of sugar is in everything. I am also trying to keep GMO food out of my diet too. Sometimes it is in the fine print. I do not use artificial sweeteners either, so no Crystal Light for me. The artificial sweeteners keep the craving for sugar alive. I know my diet isn't for everyone but I find it helping me. I do not like Stevia because of the aftertaste. Another case against artificial sweeteners is it does not help the good bacteria in your gut. ( The bacteria that work for your health instead of against it)

The positives since I started at the end of May is I am down 13 pounds, I am having fewer leg cramps (that is the biggest thing that disrupts my sleep), I feel better and seem to heal faster ( I hardly noticed when I had that sinus infection), and I also notice I am having less trouble with my gums ( I am prone to gingivitis). It does make sense to me bacteria does feed on sugar.

Unfortunately when our country went through the low fat stage sugar replaced the fat. I know a few people who gave up sugar. One of them besides losing weight her skin cleared up. She was having adult acne. The other person I know has such vitality about her and I do believe it has to do with her diet. I try to remember them when I am tempted to go back to my old habits.

:heart: Margaret

While I have not eliminated processed or added sugar from my diet I have severely reduced it. And I have an occasional artificially sweetened soda (two a month?) but otherwise my sugars are generally in the form of fruit and veggies. I think it makes me feel MUCH better.

Similarly with grain. Wheat I probably have about twice a month, usually some meal my husband wants to prepare for us. But no bread or rice or pasta for me outside of that.

I also have eliminated all dairy except in John’s meals, occasionally a pat of butter (once a week?) and some special cheddar cheese (once or twice a month).

I’m not sure this will be doable when holiday time (cookies) comes calling, but otherwise it has not been too difficult and made me feel much better. Especially in that I no longer suffer constant acid reflux, indigestion and other digestive ailments.

If I had the time and money, I’d go back to school and get a degree in nutrition now. I think it would be fascinating.

• coastalgosgal
    coastalgosgal Posts: 2,900 Member
    Options
    Rebecca - Do you have SCREENSHOT on your Fire? When there is no other way to do it, that's what I resort to. On my Samsung tablet I have to swipe my hand across. On my phone it's the "off" button.

The curry was heaven! :D

I'm so impatient to get going. Today on my tablet I'm reading a decor magazine in Spanish, killing two birds with one stone. B)
    DH has more conservative taste than me, but we are mainly constricted by budget. Apart from one or two pieces, part of me would just like to start my decor over. I know I can't. Because of that we end up making more safe choices than I might if I had a free hand, because new stuff has to go with the old to some extent.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxx

Hmmm, I am not sure but I will research screenshot! Thanks.
    Rebecca
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,428 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    Margaret - thank you for your input. I remembered you were doing a similar low sugar and low refined program and it had been successful for you. And you were part of my inspiration to get back on the wagon!

Great to hear the benefits you are realizing! Funny, about 5 years ago I couldn't stand anything sweet and gave up adding sugar to most things, would forgo cake icing and all that. A couple years ago the sugar cravings hit - and I am wondering if it's in response to me quitting alcohol. Not being a soda pop drinker, it was easy for me on the weekends to grab a beer or two. :s

Are there any of you who have stopped drinking alcohol to find sugar and carb cravings going up?

Rye - I found the Youtube presentation that briefly mentions low carbing on fast day: look up "Meet diet guru Michael Mosley - the Feed" and toward the end of the interview says there's "an easier version of fasting which is essentially just cutting carbs 2 days a week based on studies that just came out, which includes not drinking alcohol".

So I'm thinking that folks interesting in doing a 5:2 fast might want to experiment on the fast days and instead of going super hungry and only eating 500 calories, try going super low carb. There are so many "housecleaning" things a persons body does during a period of no food according to research, I'm not sure the low carb thing works as intended by doing it that way. But, it's an idea.

I agree - wouldn't it be fun to study nutrition now? Especially seeing how for decades we were taught "low fat" and "eating eggs raises cholesterol". Which is totally bogus and based and corrupt studies and bad science.

Carry on ladies, I am so grateful we are able to utilize new information to regain our health. <3

Oh, and I wanted to mention -- our bodies and chemistry are all different. Something to bear in mind if we are unable to eat or exercise as others are doing in this group. Find out what works for you and stick to it.... let's keep educating each other!

Lanette
    SW WA State
  • KeriA
    KeriA Posts: 3,275 Member
    Options
    Barbara on Southern Or Coast: hope you feel better I got 2 bad colds this year and I usually don’t but I am reading longer and sleeping less and it is lack of sleep that gets me every time. I love any where on the Oregon coast
    NYKAREN good job with establishing new healthy habits. Hmm I will think about something to recognize when I had a good day besides posting here of course.
    Tigrib I have a sedentary job and a commute (at least it is reverse). However my doctor said no running unless I can find a padded track. Have arthritis in one knee. I was sad because I like running too.
    Heather UK What a nice day you described. I love lamb and got grass fed lamb at the Farmers market I will be making I will have to check out flageolet stew. I heard that England doesn’t usually win on penalties so good for them. Congrats.
    Rebecca, love the beads. I want to crochet with metal wires and you can put in beads.
    RV Rita It is hard to keep healthy routines when travelling. It is hard to do it when someone close is ill. Take care, this is the time when you need to take better care of yourself. I am just back to where I was before a trip picking up my daughter.
    Vicki GI NE My husband is an interim supervisor for his section just for a few weeks. He can’t get any of his own work done he says. Hope you get that office. I have seen how there is a heat wave in most of the country. I have been meaning to ask my son in TX about how he is doing. I WA we are such wimps and are worrying about a forecast day in the 80s. Stay Cool everyone.
    Barbie, WOW concerning the phone fiasco. I can somewhat relate since I am trying to get my fixed laptop back to where I can use it.
    Kylia since this is just one day off we aren’t doing anything for the 4th. I just wanted to go somewhere natural and quiet today. We are going to a walk at Greenlake. It is a lake that has walking bike trails around it that are almost 5K.
    Janetr OKC beautiful picture. Congratulations.
    Rori I have had cataracts removed in both eyes. The 1st surgery was great. I was young for cataracts and it was injury related. The second wasn’t as good. I have normal vision with the surgery but after the second developed slight stigmatism. I only wear my glasses for reading and computer but don’t have to really except for the phone or very small print. So I agree with you it is something to be excited about.
    Michele in NC I am bummed that I can’t go to the gym for water exercise either
    Rye sorry to hear you hurt your toe. It isn’t like they do much for broken toes. When I did they just told me to wear more supportive shoes. There are aqua shoes but if you are careful you will probably be fine. Take care unhealed injuries can be a problem. When I was young I got water on the knee but hadn’t fallen on or gotten hit on it. They decided it was too much weeding! So I got a pass on that chore.
    Sue in WA I don’t think I want to know what a Tpost pounder is. Glad your daughter is doing better. Fun having family coming. We got adopted by a stray cat recently and although the Vet found a chip they said it wasn’t registered but we found the company. They tried to contact the owners and no response. They said at the time 7 years ago they lived near to us. It is a Norwegian Forest Cat. Quite sweet and beautiful but with our son allergic we keep it outside except allow our daughter to have it in her room for an hour a day. He doesn’t really have all the domesticated skills either. We feed it and take it to the vet keeping up with medicine and shots. He has definitely gotten his way into our hearts since we have had cats in the past when we didn’t know our son was allergic. He doesn’t live with us but we want him to visit. He has 2 cats but outside as well. I think that Amber>Ambrose is good for us. Especially when our daughter is away. He has amazing amber eyes and amber coat mixed with grey. This way we do not feel guilty keeping the cat outside. He was stray. We noticed him then later realized he didn’t look so good and needed feeding. He looks much better now. Norwegian forest cats have a water proof layer of fur and a fluffy layer of fur. So he is perfect for Seattle. He is very fluffy but is all muscle under the fur.
    Katla in beautiful NW Oregon good job getting connected. Being in a park today sounds great. That’s a Crosby Stills and Nash song right? I love their songs too. I had Our House as my ring tone at work. Then the phones reset :/
    Machka in Oz you offer great advice here your info on dealing with hot flashes makes me realize that I might be able to get help for a chronic issue myself. I don’t have any menopausal symptoms except I think possibly night sweats. I have always slept like a little furnace so hard to tell if that is the issue. If you put enough insulation around me I will heat any bed up quite cozily but now it will wake me up and think I get heat rash too.
    KJ (Kelly) love the beach and GK pictures.
    Karen in Virginia sorry to hear about your rand sons camp problems. My daughter just got diagnosed with ADHD and that is why she is home from College.

Thanks for all the firework pictures and wishes. I won’t be able to do this all the time but with the day off and not going anywhere for the 4th except a walk at Greenlake I decided to read the posts since my last post. Since I can’t post everyday and you guys post more than once a day sometimes it won’t be sustainable but a good way to get to know some of you a bit. So most of my posts will be much shorter.

My news from a few days ago is that this week so far is going well. I seem to be losing about .4 lbs a day and more loss showing this morning. This is unusual for me I usually go up and down and my weight loss or gain looks like going up or down from the Pacific Crest of the Cascades to Puget Sound or the Salish Sea up and over foothills. Anyway it’s usually anything but steady. However I have just made it to where I was before my trip to pick up my daughter. Hope to keep it up or keep it going down steadily. We have the groceries and plans for home cooking so that always helps. Unfortunately grocery shopping has gotten old through the years.

I usually go to Aquafit on Wednesday nights. No pools are open of course. Should probably swim in a lake but it is clouding up. It was supposed to be clear tonight. This is the 1st time with our cat who adopted us for the 4th. Not sure how it will react. Had some texting time with my son in TX. He is good about keeping in touch. We will have a 4th inspired meal and just enjoy the time off today.

As someone else said happy 4th for those in the US and happy day for all.

Last time I forgot to add …. Keri in Seattle
  • coastalgosgal
    coastalgosgal Posts: 2,900 Member
    Options
    Thanks Heather, easy peasy! I just hold down the volume button and power button at the same time!
    5qtcmbjudngz.png

The image goes directly to my photos👍!
    Rebecca
  • Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,813 Member
    Options
    :)
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,986 Member
    Options
    :)Karen in VA my new phone is a Samsung Galaxy S9. The old one was a Samsung Galaxy S% active. The new phone charges faster and holds the charge better. When I walk in the morning using "Walk My Dog" which is an app that maps my walk and listen to a podcast, an audio book, or music, the old phone battery would be down to 68% and take a long time to recharge. The new one on the same walk went down to 90% and recharged very quickly. The other big battery sucker was using the phone as a timer when I ride the exercise bike. Now I can use the old phone as a timer and not bother the battery on the new one.
    What a bummer about summer camp for your grandson. He will need some super TLC when he gets home.

<3 Barbie
  • LishaW1967
    LishaW1967 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I would love to join this group. I'm 51 need to lose 70lbs been on again off again for more year then i want to admit. I want to lose 1 lb per week..slow and steady which should make some significant mind and body changes
  • efricke1
    efricke1 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    "Are there any of you who have stopped drinking alcohol to find sugar and carb cravings going up?"

YES. This is so true. Alcohol=sugar. I quit drinking almost 19 years ago and become a sweets/carb freak-still am. Prior to quitting I was a total salty snack person. Now I can take or leave chips and nuts. The sweets/carb thing is mostly why I'm here :smile:
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    Welcome all Newbies! Glad you found us!

Katla That phone you have is a nice one. I hope once you are used to it, it will exceed your expectations. Thanks for the kind words about my poor grandson. He is home now, they got in a couple of hours ago. He looks a little shell-shocked, but he was smiling.

Karen in Virginia
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,396 Member
    Options
    Did Firm Maximum Cardio Burn. The plan for tomorrow is to do Patrick Goudeau Hard Work Conditioning 24/7 DVD.

Dlm – welcome back! Absolutely, you can join again. No time like the present….lol

Lucky me has a dentist appointment tomorrow

Sue in WA – how great that you’ve decided that you will keep the cat if you need to

Kim – I was thinking of you when I read about the fires. How are you and everyone else in CA doing?

Karen in VA – I can’t believe that happened to your gs! It’s good that his parents are getting him

NYKaren – you can do this (your dd leaving). She’ll be back before you know it!

Made some chocolate bran muffins for me, cleaned the bathroom vanity and floor, made banana lentil muffins (hey, when bananas are on sale for 22cents, I freeze), washed the kitchen floor than went in the pool. Got dinner ready to be microwaved. Also made mashed potatoes for Vince

Rye – you must have the most adorable kittens with the greatest names

Elizabeth and lisha – welcome!

Efricke – first off, is there a name and (general) location we can call you? And I’m right with you with the sweets/carbs. I do find that I prefer carbs in fruits and veges. However, it would be REAL easy for me to fall into the craving of refined carb habit. REAL REAL easy.

Michele in NC