July 2018 Running Challenge

Replies

• bride001
    bride001 Posts: 153 Member
    @katiebug3268 - Welcome. I have ran the half marathon for St Jude Memphis Marathon Weekend 4 times. This year I am running the 10K - mainly because there are some bucket list races I want to do in my home state that I can't do while training for a half marathon.

I am concerned that you are a new to running and are attempting a half six months out - but people have done it before. St Jude half course is a little hilly but very manageable. I also know plenty of people that walk the half.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    kevaasen wrote: »
    kevaasen wrote: »

I just ordered the smaller Wunjo X2/Race vest as I wanted something light and economical and this fits the bill.

If anyone else is interested, WUNJOWOMAN18 is a working 18% discount code I found. Helps offsets the $10 in shipping cost since my order was less than $100 (free shipping if you hit that target).

received shipment yesterday, so one week shipping from Norway - not to bad. Looking forward to testing soon once my knee is recovered. Super light and based on quick fitting, like how it feels.

Cool. My X5 came last week and I ran in it twice. I am not ready to give a full review, but I can say it did not kill me and that is my very first line a product must cross. :lol:

Do not remember if I posted a picture, so here:

• bride001
    Scott6255 wrote: »
    Welcome @katiebug3268! You may not be a fast runner, but I hope you are a fast reader. This group posts more often than Donald Trump on Twitter! :D

Speaking of posts, I haven't seen @7lenny7 post in a long time. I apologize if I missed an injury report or something, but does anybody know how he is doing?

Not 100% sure but I think @7lenny7 usually is sailing in the summer months. I believe he focuses on that and not running.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    bride001 wrote: »
    Scott6255 wrote: »
    Welcome @katiebug3268! You may not be a fast runner, but I hope you are a fast reader. This group posts more often than Donald Trump on Twitter! :D

Speaking of posts, I haven't seen @7lenny7 post in a long time. I apologize if I missed an injury report or something, but does anybody know how he is doing?

Not 100% sure but I think @7lenny7 usually is sailing in the summer months. I believe he focuses on that and not running.

Yep. He's on strava now and again with a run.
  • Scott6255
    Scott6255 Posts: 2,430 Member
    Ah, OK. That makes sense. Thanks @bride001 and @Elise4270.
  • 5BeautifulDays
    5BeautifulDays Posts: 683 Member
    I ordered 3 pairs of shorts to try. It's getting to warm/humid for capri/knee length. And I can't do the 3-4" and its hard to find 5-8" shorts. I need to cover my booty! I got a 5" with birds, the long pocket jogger and the long roga. The 5" and joggers said compression but they didn't feel very compression-y when I tried them on. If not they will be for short runs.

I have spent a ridiculous amount of money this summer trying to find shorts that work. I am in despair. I have these Champion capris I love--they have a nice deep pocket on both sides and are compression-y without feeling tight at all anywhere. I want them to be shorts, but they are not shorts. My next step is to buy some more and *make* them shorts, but I am not a talented seamstress so I fear the results...the short equivalent of trimming my own bangs.

I want compression bermudas, lol, with lots of pockets. Don't the running fashion gods know that there are chubby women in their 40s who *also* like to run in the summertime?

Anyway. I took my chubby behind out for a 3-miler in this stupid skirt thingy with shorts underneath this morning. I will say that it's a cute skirt with pockets, just prone to thigh-rub, which is the worst.

exercise.png
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    @5BeautifulDays Old Navy has some that I like. I think they are 8". My favorites are Nike Dri Fit but I can't find them anywhere now. I'd never be able to sew a pair. I can do buttons and not that well.. Lol

Pockets are even harder to find! The oiselle ones have pockets. Haven't tested them out yet.
  • LaDispute57
    LaDispute57 Posts: 371 Member
    bride001 wrote: »
    @katiebug3268 - Welcome. I have ran the half marathon for St Jude Memphis Marathon Weekend 4 times. This year I am running the 10K - mainly because there are some bucket list races I want to do in my home state that I can't do while training for a half marathon.

I am concerned that you are a new to running and are attempting a half six months out - but people have done it before. St Jude half course is a little hilly but very manageable. I also know plenty of people that walk the half.

I think @katiebug3268 can do it! I started running in 2011... on April 25 of that year I squeezed out my very first mile in a cotton t-shirt, gray Russell sweats and Reebok cross-trainers. I got educated in a hurry about running clothes and especially shoes. Chafed nipples and blistered feet are harsh teachers. I ran my first half five months later totally clueless and without a training program. @katiebug3268 appears to be on a quicker learning curve...lol
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    Morning all!

Woo hoo rest day! I needed it. I did a total body strength workout last night thats kicked my *kitten* (and arms, shoulders, chest etc) so I'll go for a walk at lunch with plenty of stretches, and some yoga tonight before bed.

I'm just glad that 2 weeks in I'm enjoying it, not dreading it. I'm glad for a rest day but also am looking forward to getting out tomorrow morning!

I've entered a competition that will give me new shoes, running gear and some training as well as an entry to a half marathon in September. I REALLY want to be chosen (they pick 3) and I find out tomorrow morning. but it means I'll be doing the half in Sept, not November. 😂😒😓😱

@5BeautifulDays I'm too afraid to get shorts, I fear thigh chafe... I wouldn't call myself chubby anymore but still have plenty of meat on my bones so to speak. Are shorts worth it in summer? It's winter here atm so am glad for my knee length capris!
  • Teresa502
    Teresa502 Posts: 1,704 Member

I want compression bermudas, lol, with lots of pockets. Don't the running fashion gods know that there are chubby women in their 40s who *also* like to run in the summertime?

Skirt Sports makes a skirt with compression shorts built in that actually don't ride up. I've tried other brands but Skirt Sports are the only ones that stay down over my thighs.

Gypsy Runner makes great compression capris and longer shorts with deep pockets. She has all kinds of funky prints.
  • bride001
    I like the shorts sold by Gypsy Runner. She only ships in the United States.
  • workaholic_nurse
    workaholic_nurse Posts: 727 Member
    @5BeautifulDays I nab my running shorts from Academy sports and outdoors. Their store brand(can't remember the name off the top of my head) comes in 5 and 7in. The 5in have a single zipper pocket, the 7in have 2 regularly cut side pockets. they are dri fit but not compression.

@katiebug3268 You can do it! As many others have stated, just getting out there is the first step, and we have all had to take it. B)