July 2018 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• polskagirl01
    polskagirl01 Posts: 2,010 Member
    Options
    girlinahat wrote: »
    things are not going very well. It's the 11th July and I have run exactly zero miles. I did dance 20 miles worth of steps over the weekend - does that count?

somewhat concerning with the lack of running is the half marathon I am booked on at the end of the month......

I clicked "hug", but want to balance it with a kick in the butt... ;) Hope you can get some running in soon!
  • polskagirl01
    Options
    AlphaHowls wrote: »
    @AlphaHowls Only 13 miles today? Are you ok? Sick? Injured? :D

I actually got up late, by a couple of hours, being lazy. I usually am out the door before 5 AM, but just stayed in bed for a little bit longer. I am also trying to work on my sleep habits, and sometimes I just need a little more. I don't know what I will do if it ever says I had 8 hours of rest. Injured... no more than usual aches and pains of being my age. My heel actually hurts at rest or walking, but not running.

That may be the first time I've seen 13 miles described as "lazy"! Good call on the sleep, though!
  • polskagirl01
    edited July 2018
    Options
    I'm trying to catch up, here! This is what happens when I take a "lake day"!
    bride001 wrote: »
    @katiebug3268 - Welcome. I have ran the half marathon for St Jude Memphis Marathon Weekend 4 times. This year I am running the 10K - mainly because there are some bucket list races I want to do in my home state that I can't do while training for a half marathon.

I am concerned that you are a new to running and are attempting a half six months out - but people have done it before. St Jude half course is a little hilly but very manageable. I also know plenty of people that walk the half.

I think @katiebug3268 can do it! I started running in 2011... on April 25 of that year I squeezed out my very first mile in a cotton t-shirt, gray Russell sweats and Reebok cross-trainers. I got educated in a hurry about running clothes and especially shoes. Chafed nipples and blistered feet are harsh teachers. I ran my first half five months later totally clueless and without a training program. @katiebug3268 appears to be on a quicker learning curve...lol

I agree that it is possible, as long as she sticks to a plan that will get her there gradually and doesn't have any hangups along the way (injury, etc). Something like C25k (8 weeks), then Hal Higdon's beginner HM plan (12 weeks) would technically get her there in time.
    Teresa502 wrote: »

I want compression bermudas, lol, with lots of pockets. Don't the running fashion gods know that there are chubby women in their 40s who *also* like to run in the summertime?

Skirt Sports makes a skirt with compression shorts built in that actually don't ride up. I've tried other brands but Skirt Sports are the only ones that stay down over my thighs.

Gypsy Runner makes great compression capris and longer shorts with deep pockets. She has all kinds of funky prints.

My cycling shorts have this rubbery-sticky strip along the bottom hem that keeps them in place REALLY well. I wonder if there are companies that make shorts for runners like that.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to catch up, here! This is what happens when I take a "lake day"!
    bride001 wrote: »
    @katiebug3268 - Welcome. I have ran the half marathon for St Jude Memphis Marathon Weekend 4 times. This year I am running the 10K - mainly because there are some bucket list races I want to do in my home state that I can't do while training for a half marathon.

I am concerned that you are a new to running and are attempting a half six months out - but people have done it before. St Jude half course is a little hilly but very manageable. I also know plenty of people that walk the half.

I think @katiebug3268 can do it! I started running in 2011... on April 25 of that year I squeezed out my very first mile in a cotton t-shirt, gray Russell sweats and Reebok cross-trainers. I got educated in a hurry about running clothes and especially shoes. Chafed nipples and blistered feet are harsh teachers. I ran my first half five months later totally clueless and without a training program. @katiebug3268 appears to be on a quicker learning curve...lol

I agree that it is possible, as long as she sticks to a plan that will get her there gradually and doesn't have any hangups along the way (injury, etc). Something like C25k (8 weeks), then Hal Higdon's beginner HM plan (12 weeks) would technically get her there in time.
    Teresa502 wrote: »

I want compression bermudas, lol, with lots of pockets. Don't the running fashion gods know that there are chubby women in their 40s who *also* like to run in the summertime?

Skirt Sports makes a skirt with compression shorts built in that actually don't ride up. I've tried other brands but Skirt Sports are the only ones that stay down over my thighs.

Gypsy Runner makes great compression capris and longer shorts with deep pockets. She has all kinds of funky prints.

My cycling shorts have this rubbery-sticky strip along the bottom hem that keeps them in place REALLY well. I wonder if there are companies that make shorts for runners like that.

Tri shorts are also like this. You ever notice once you're hot and sweaty, if you adjust your bike/tri/ compression shorts at all (pit stop), they are never comfortable again?
    This i hate. And then the seams get to bothering me.
  • workaholic_nurse
    workaholic_nurse Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Today was a planned run day but trainer texted me about a 0630 session so I nabbed it. Distance run tomorrow, aiming for five miles with no canine interference 🤔 Current totals 15.2 outdoor and 2.6 treadmill. Keep on trucking🏃‍♂️🏃‍♀️
  • AprilRN10
    AprilRN10 Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    Sun 7/1 crosstrain: 60 minutes elliptical and triceps/back
    Mon 7/2 run: 3.15 miles
    Tue 7/3 crosstrain: 60 minutes elliptical and biceps/shoulders/abs
    Wed 7/4 run: 3.14 miles
    Thu 7/5 run: 3.15 miles
    Fri 7/6 run: 4 miles
    Sat 7/7 planned rest
    Sun 7/8 planned rest
    Mon 7/9 crosstrain: 45 minutes elliptical and legs/back
    Tue 7/10 run: 3.16 miles
    Wed 7/11 run: 3.51 miles and shoulders/back
    Thu 7/12 run: 4 miles speedwork
    24.11 of 60 completed

UPCOMING RACES
    August 25th - Camp New Hope 10k
    September 7th - 5k Glow Run

COMPLETED RACES
    January - Frosty 5k
    February - Run for the Chocolate 5k
    March - Penguin in the Park 5k
    April - Lake Sara Dam 5k
    May - Run Through the Jungle 5k
    June - French Fried 5k
    July - Firecracker 5k
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    kevaasen wrote: »

I just ordered the smaller Wunjo X2/Race vest as I wanted something light and economical and this fits the bill.

If anyone else is interested, WUNJOWOMAN18 is a working 18% discount code I found. Helps offsets the $10 in shipping cost since my order was less than $100 (free shipping if you hit that target).

received shipment yesterday, so one week shipping from Norway - not to bad. Looking forward to testing soon once my knee is recovered. Super light and based on quick fitting, like how it feels.

Cool. My X5 came last week and I ran in it twice. I am not ready to give a full review, but I can say it did not kill me and that is my very first line a product must cross. :lol:

Do not remember if I posted a picture, so here:

Thanks for the photo - I like how you swoop the water line over. Last night when trying it on, I noticed it was super long and was debating how to minimize length or minimize bounce - so this looks to be a good way to position it.

I got the idea from @JessicaMcB posts of her pictures wearing hers. I have seen others tuck it behind the straps heading straight down too. I am undecided which way is best yet.

@PastorVincent I'm not sure if this is an option or if you could rig this to your vest, but I have an Osprey cycling pack that I sometimes use for running. If I'm using a hydration bladder and if I need more space (i.e. longer trail runs), then I take that pack. Cyclists get all the cools stuff like packs that don't bounce. Anyway... this particular vest has a magnet on the buckle to the top (sternum) horizontal strap. The reservoir that came with the pack has a matching size/shape magnet on the end of the tubing near the bite valve. This setup allows me to put the bite valve on the middle of my chest secured by the magnet, but is very fast and easy to grab for a drink and then place back again quickly. The tubing doesn't bounce around at all, but is fast to access.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options

I just ordered the smaller Wunjo X2/Race vest as I wanted something light and economical and this fits the bill.

If anyone else is interested, WUNJOWOMAN18 is a working 18% discount code I found. Helps offsets the $10 in shipping cost since my order was less than $100 (free shipping if you hit that target).

received shipment yesterday, so one week shipping from Norway - not to bad. Looking forward to testing soon once my knee is recovered. Super light and based on quick fitting, like how it feels.

Cool. My X5 came last week and I ran in it twice. I am not ready to give a full review, but I can say it did not kill me and that is my very first line a product must cross. :lol:

Do not remember if I posted a picture, so here:

Thanks for the photo - I like how you swoop the water line over. Last night when trying it on, I noticed it was super long and was debating how to minimize length or minimize bounce - so this looks to be a good way to position it.

I got the idea from @JessicaMcB posts of her pictures wearing hers. I have seen others tuck it behind the straps heading straight down too. I am undecided which way is best yet.

@PastorVincent I'm not sure if this is an option or if you could rig this to your vest, but I have an Osprey cycling pack that I sometimes use for running. If I'm using a hydration bladder and if I need more space (i.e. longer trail runs), then I take that pack. Cyclists get all the cools stuff like packs that don't bounce. Anyway... this particular vest has a magnet on the buckle to the top (sternum) horizontal strap. The reservoir that came with the pack has a matching size/shape magnet on the end of the tubing near the bite valve. This setup allows me to put the bite valve on the middle of my chest secured by the magnet, but is very fast and easy to grab for a drink and then place back again quickly. The tubing doesn't bounce around at all, but is fast to access.

Interesting idea. Not sure if I could rig something like that up. Getting a magnet on the vest should be easy, but getting it on the round tube might be really tough. Esply since it gets wet. Think on this, I will.