JUST FOR TODAY ....... One day at a time ..... Daily Commitment Thread for 2018

Options

Replies

• mytime6630
    mytime6630 Posts: 4,197 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    Bex953172 wrote: »

See this is where I've gone wrong. The TV is on all day. It's just background noise. The films are the special treats. They don't really have special toys. They just use all their toys.
    I will turn the TV off sometimes so they will use their toys but they mostly use both in the day but if they start slobbing about watching it all day I turn it off.

I think the "special" toys would work perfectly then! Sometimes just a new toy, or a new pack of crayons or notebook ... something different! Do you have "dollar stores" where you live? Here we do, and everything only cost $1.00 ... yes, their cheap stuff, but great entertainment for a little one.
    Or ... maybe a special movie or something they don't get to see much. But ... it could also be just being cooped up. I was that way yesterday LOL!!! It has been SO hot here .... even though I get out ... there is nothing like being outside to play! Hang in there .... and vent whenever you want!

and you STOP thinking you are a bad parent, and are messing up. You are a great mommy!!!

My brother had what I thought we "perfect" kids. I remember once saying to my mom that his kids were so good ... they would sit on the couch like little angels, while my kids were running around screaming, picking on each other, having tantrums if they didn't get what they wanted, etc etc.

My mom told me that NO ... his kids were not normal kids. A normal kid does what mine were doing .... testing their limits, having tantrums to see if you will give into their demands, picking on each other. This is just a normal part of growing up... so you have normal kids - they are just testing you to see what they can get away with, might be just bored, etc.

And please don't ever let my situation with my daughter scare you. Parenting has absolutely nothing to do with what we are dealing with ... my daughter had mental illness in her genes, and no matter what we did, it was unavoidable. So please do not ever let that scare you ... you are doing a great job! Parenting is absolutely the hardest job in the world .... so give yourself lots of credit!
  • mytime6630
    mytime6630 Posts: 4,197 Member
    Options
    Saragirl2 wrote: »

I've been weight training for a few months now. I've only missed a few weeks due to flu but worked slowly on my recovery. My strength & posture have improved. My knee pain & weakness is gone. No drastic changes in physique but subtle ones. The first month I struggled to approach the barbells but I stuck with it. It was such an intimidating part of the gym to me. The other lifters don't even even notice me now and I sometimes get my son to "spot" me :smile: For anyone who is hesitant to enter the gym, remind yourself that you deserve this time to yourself, this is your journey and remember your "why".

"If not now, when?"
    :smiley:

I am the same way. While my weight has stayed the same, I feel so much stronger, my shorts fit better, even hubby told me my arms are firming up. I tend to do a lot of cardio because I like how I feel, but I need to concentrate more on the weight lifting part. Great job you are doing!
  • HGSmith0920
    HGSmith0920 Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    AND I just found out that she may be leaving next Friday instead of the Wednesday after next! Lol
  • toaljasa
    toaljasa Posts: 955 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    @Bex953172

"They need boundaries." Yes yes yes. And be consistent in keeping those boundaries. Boundaries and consistency really helped me keep order in the home. If it isn't allowed today it won't be tomorrow. Yes, children tend to mimic us...and it seems they are more quick to pick up the negative actions than the positive ones! Training up children is hard hard hard! But as they see the consistency and begin to follow it, it truly does become easier...kids need and thrive on routine,we all want to know what is expected of us at work. And it's frustrating when the boss continuously changes the rules...same at home. Especially when you are getting the routine going...even if it means you have to sacrifice opportunities for awhile. No exceptions until it all becomes routine and the children are cooperating.

You have already started doing this by having them pick up toys at the same time each day, helping you in the kitchen each day. It is up to you to keep this going---they sure won't. And again, that probably means no outside events messing up the routine for awhile.

With regards to needing to be assured that you are okay and that her world is okay... I don't have experience in that situation although I do know it is common. (I dealt with other issues, lol) I like @phedrjd 's idea of earning time with mom for good behavior...just the two of you reading a book, or painting her nails, etc. I really like everyone's input!

You are going to mess up...how do I know? Because you are HUMAN! You are a proactive mom, and that's wonderful. Yes, the walk to the nursery was probably good for both of you and if you can walk her back, it will be more exercise for her to wear herself down.

(I suggest you turn off the tv and use music for background noise...and not the head banging kind either, lol...lots of kid tapes out there) (Hey my reply was only a short story in length and not a novel today, lolol)
  • HGSmith0920
    HGSmith0920 Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    @Bex953172 HAPPY BIRTHDAY MARLEY!!! She's turning 3 right?
  • eminater
    eminater Posts: 2,477 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    JFT - July 13th

Eat home-prepared food only
    Weigh and Log everything
    Drink 4 litres of water
    Drink only coffee, tea, water today
    60 mins cardio, including a swim
    20 mins strength
    ---
    For Child 1:
    homework focus: writing and reading
    go to the playground
    For Child 2:
    Pack for trip
    For Child 3:
    go for a walk together

Remember : today is NOT a cheat day :lol:
  • Bex953172
    Bex953172 Posts: 4,068 Member
    Options

2 :) Terrible two haha
  • PackerFanInGB
    PackerFanInGB Posts: 3,334 Member
    Options

Really sorry to hear about this, it must be so frustrating and I can totally understand why you're feeling discouraged, I think everyone would be.

It sounds positive though in that the Ortho seems to think that together he and the Pain & Spine doctor will be able to help? So whilst it's really difficult right now, it sounds like it will get better in future.

Take care of yourself while this is going on - don't ask too much of yourself and just focus on the key things that you know make the most difference to your health and wellbeing.

(On that note - I downloaded some of those Optimal Health/ Living podcasts you've mentioned - one was really interesting but one was... How shall I put it... Ridiculous! The person had been on a trip and had had a strategy for maintaining their weight whilst away which meant that essentially all they could eat was quinoa and seeds. I'm exaggerating a bit, but not that much. This is advice I'm not going to take - how boring!!!! I'd rather come back from a trip ten pounds heavier than only eat that...)

Thinking of you and sending you lots of positive thoughts and wishes. You're right, you have been through cancer and you will get through this.

Thank you. It felt like another step backwards yesterday and I was pretty depressed. But you're right. After 7 years, I have doctors who are listening to me and following up on it and that is a really good thing. They're taking me serious finally. I will be able to move forward. And that is a good thing. Right?

I had to laugh about the Optimal Health/Living podcasts! I listen mostly to the Optimal Living ones and like you said, some of them are interesting and give me good ideas on organization and simplifying my life and getting rid of stress, etc. But some of them really are RIDICULOUS! I skip those. What I like mostly about them is that they're short (usually less than 10 minutes) and they are easy listening...take my mind out of stressful places at work. :smile: I really like listening to the Half Size Me podcasts that @SaraGirl1 mentions. I've been listening to those for about the last four weeks (every Monday they come out). Those have a lot of insightful ideas. :wink:

Thank you for the positive thoughts and wishes. I'm sending you hugs from the other side of the pond.... xoxo
  • jeschepp
    jeschepp Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Today I tried a workout video (The Biggest Loser Workout) because the weather was terrible for the 3rd day in a row and I'm bored with my stationary bike. It kicked my butt!! I made it through but oh boy did I feel all the muscles I haven't been using (most of my workouts have been walk/jogging or biking.) Had a some thoughts this week around "is this worth it" and "it's taken a month to lose 5 pounds how long will the whole 40 I want to lose take." This left me a little defeated and wanting to give up. Mostly I just told those voices to shut up, womanned up, and did what I need to do to continue this journey. Sometimes it's just hard, ya know. It took me like 10 years to put this weight on, it will take time to work off. This is not a diet, it's a life change. Anyway, that's where I've been this week. Thanks for *listening* as always.

For today:
    House chores-½ points
    30 minutes exercise ✅
    Meet 1200 net calories, counting exercise ✅
    Track food and exercise ✅
    Water challenge-80 oz. ✅
    Add one page to bullet journal-did one last night
    Set weekend plans including 1-month reward!!! ✅-dude this is going to be pizza. I, who usually ate pizza weekly (easily) has not had pizza in a month. It is time!
    DISHES ✅
    Post here for accountability ✅

For tomorrow:
    Self-care
    House chores
    30 minutes exercise
    Meet 1200 net calories, counting exercise
    Track food and exercise
    Water challenge-80 oz.
    Post here for accountability
  • toaljasa
    toaljasa Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    jeschepp wrote: »
    Today I tried a workout video (The Biggest Loser Workout) because the weather was terrible for the 3rd day in a row and I'm bored with my stationary bike. It kicked my butt!! I made it through but oh boy did I feel all the muscles I haven't been using (most of my workouts have been walk/jogging or biking.) Had a some thoughts this week around "is this worth it" and "it's taken a month to lose 5 pounds how long will the whole 40 I want to lose take." This left me a little defeated and wanting to give up. Mostly I just told those voices to shut up, womanned up, and did what I need to do to continue this journey. Sometimes it's just hard, ya know. It took me like 10 years to put this weight on, it will take time to work off. This is not a diet, it's a life change. Anyway, that's where I've been this week. Thanks for *listening* as always.

You are right! This is a lifestyle change. I spent years and years losing weight for "something"---a wedding, a cruise, a party, etc. I'd work hard, lose the weight, and look fabulous in my new dress. But then after the event was gone, I had no reason to continue so up up up went my weight. THIS TIME my goal is to reach optimal health. To thrive. My goal is to lose two pounds a month. But I usually lose four. Now think about that..four pounds a month is 48 lbs in a year! Let's say I slow down and lose 3 lbs a month...that's still more lbs. than I've lost in years. I have no deadline. I have small mini-goals but overall, nope, no deadline. I figure when I get there, I'll know it.

Look at what you have done in a month. Not only have you lost weight, you are journaling. You are learning self control. You have found that being accountable for your actions is a good thing. You are meeting wonderfully fabulous people who have been encouraged by your words. Are you more joyful? Positive? Confident? Hopeful? Think back where you were just one month ago...were you exercising? were you being mindful of what you ate, and how much? were you tenacious in improving your whole well being? wow! the strides you've made are absolutely fantastic! Keep on keeping on.

Peace and joy!
    d6lzcpfyahtl.png
  • PackerFanInGB
    Options
    Bex953172 wrote: »

2 :) Terrible two haha

Happy birthday Marley!!! :heart:
  • PackerFanInGB
    Options

Just For Thursday
    • Log every bite ;)I plan to do this after I update here. I know what I ate, just didn't have a chance to log it yet.
    • Stay in the green :)Pretty sure I did!
    • Drive to southern WI clinic to shadow :star:What a great day! I learned a lot and got to get out of the office for awhile. Really enjoyed work today.
    • Stay calm in the stressful situations I will be in at work tomorrow :star:Turned out to be a great day. I stayed calm and realized I know a LOT more than I gave myself credit for! Very much needed boost in my self-confidence in this new job.
    • Remember to smile :star:Couldn't stop smiling! :smile:
    • Drink lots of water :star:Much better than yesterday
    • Spend time thinking about the things causing trouble at home. Can I change any of it? If so, what I can do to change it? and if I can't...how do we come to terms or put it behind us and move forward? :/This is ongoing.
      Talked to husband a bit tonight regarding a few of the issues we need to resolve.

Just for Friday
    • Log every bite
    • Stay in the green
    • Catch up on emails at work
    • Make follow up calls I've been putting off
    • Work on self-confidence. You were hired because you DO have a lot of knowledge for your position and you ARE fully capable rocking this job!
    • Get up without hitting snooze
    • What needs to changed? Can I change it? How? If not, how do I find acceptance? Ongoing....
    • Sit Less. Use Stand Up app
    • Podcasts, inspirational reading and gratitude journal. Try one new Podcast.
    • Be grateful. Be patient. Be kind. Smile.

July 1: Water :star: / Walk/Move :star: / Mindful Eating :star: / Planning :star:
    July 2: Water :star: / Walk :star: / Mindful Eating :star: / Planning :( [/quote]
    July 3: Water :( / Walk :star: / Mindful Eating :star: / Planning :( [/quote]
    July 4: Water :naughty: / Walk :naughty: / Mindful Eating :star: / Planning :star: [/quote]
    July 5: Water :star: / Walk :naughty: / Mindful Eating :star: / Planning :naughty:
    July 6: Water :neutral: Not as much as I wanted but not bad / Walk :naughty: but to be fair, I had PT and was pretty sore / Mindful Eating :star: / Planning :star:
    July 7: Water :star: / Walk :star: / Mindful Eating: :star: / Planning :star:
    July 8: Water :star: / Walk :naughty: / Mindful Eating :star: / Planning :star:
    July 9: Missed logging
    July 10: Water :star: / Walk :naughty: / mindful eating / :neutral: / Planning :star:
    July 11: Water :star: / Walk :naughty: / Mindful eating :naughty: / Planning :star:
    July 12: Water :star: / Walk :star:not an actual walk, but I did make conscious effort to get up from my desk and move more than normal. Less Sitting. / Mindful Eating :star: / Planning :star:
    July 13: Water / Walk / Mindful Eating / Planning

Be the change you wish to see in the world
    2018 Theme: Persistence and Determination
  • nickssweetheart
    nickssweetheart Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    Wrap up:

1. Log everything I eat and stay under goal. :)
    2. Drink 6 cups of water before 3 pm. I AM going to do this today. You can quote me! :) Drank 7!
    3. Do my physical therapy morning and evening. :)
    4. Eat only when hungry. :)
    5. Drink no more than 1 20 oz bottle of diet soda. :) Only drank half a bottle of diet soda, but did drink a flavored sparkling water...I wonder if that's cheating?

Just For Friday (Yay, Friday! And yay, I actually have a job so I get to appreciate the weekend!)

1. Log everything I eat and stay under goal.
    2. Drink 6 cups of water before 3 pm.
    3. Do my physical therapy morning and evening.
    4. Eat only when hungry.
    5. Drink no more than 1 20 oz bottle of diet soda.
    6. Do the Aldi grocery shopping, also stop by Sprouts if I have time.
  • Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,730 Member
    Options
    JFT - Wednesday July 11
    2L of Water - :)
    Stay in Green by 150 - :)
    Outside 15 Minutes - :)
    Exercise/Walk? - :)
    Write in Journal - :)

I just realized that I didn't post my goals for today, I had them all ready to go and then got distracted.
    To be totally open and honest I will post my goals and then tell you all how I have completely blown them for the day.
    2L of Water - :) working on the last one now
    Stay in Green by 150 - >:)>:)>:) I knew I was going out for lunch with a friend so was prepared and planned in my head what I would have for supper to make up for it. I got home from work and hubby wanted to go get new shoes at the new mall. Our daughter works there so he could get a discount. We got there and she needed to be off work before she could do it for us, so he decided we should go to the food court to eat. I had poutine, this food court doesn't even have a pita place! I then for some absolutely asinine reason decide that a peanut buster parfait would be a great way to cap off the day. So I am currently over by 1000+ calories. I'll move on from it and make tomorrow much better.
    Outside 15 Minutes - >:) too much time spent eating to get outside
    Walk - >:) I hurt my foot last night on my walk and realized at the mall this afternoon it was still hurting so decided I shouldn't go for a walk tonight.
    Write in Journal - :) I will get this done before I go to bed.

We had a request for a quote for a business that I had dropped off a brochure and business card we put it in, but we didn't get it because our rates were too high. I am hoping that head office listens to me and understands that they may need to lower the profit margin to get some business up here until we are getting more.

I did have some positives today in amongst my terrible eating. I desperately needed a new bra, I have been putting this off now for a couple months. I went down a cup size and a band size! I also needed new shorts because all of mine are getting baggy in the bottom. I bought 2 pairs sized 12, I didn't need to unbutton them to get them on, I didn't want to try a smaller size in case they shrink. I also went and bought 2 - 8 lb weights tonight, now I need to figure out what to do with them.

I'm going to respond and catch up in the morning with all of the posts!
  • nickssweetheart
    nickssweetheart Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    @Bex953172 this showed up on the top of my quotes for my nightly fb post. I think it was meant for you.bwv3gb4dobya.jpeg

This is amazing.
    jeschepp wrote: »

For today:
    House chores-½ points
    30 minutes exercise ✅
    Meet 1200 net calories, counting exercise ✅
    Track food and exercise ✅
    Water challenge-80 oz. ✅
    Add one page to bullet journal-did one last night
    Set weekend plans including 1-month reward!!! ✅-dude this is going to be pizza. I, who usually ate pizza weekly (easily) has not had pizza in a month. It is time!
    DISHES ✅
    Post here for accountability ✅

For tomorrow:
    Self-care
    House chores
    30 minutes exercise
    Meet 1200 net calories, counting exercise
    Track food and exercise
    Water challenge-80 oz.
    Post here for accountability

I think we all have the "how long will this take" thoughts. I need to lose more like 140 than 40, and my last weekly loss was .6. Yes, .6. But it is what it is, and the tracking app I use tells me that I am steadily heading in the right direction, so I just keep on going. Because as someone once said in a WW meeting back when I attended those, "The time will pass either way, whether I lose the weight or not, and probably quicker than I expect."