July 2018 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,388 Member
    Options
    @hesn92 - One trick that I use in my mileage posts is to include a word that isn't common. In my case I go to agility class each week with my dog (it is truly a workout in itself) so I note the agility days along with my run mileage. I also have races listed that I can search on as well. That makes it easy for me to find and copy a previous post and add to it.
    @MegaMooseEsq - I run 5 days a week typically with a midweek rest day and a weekend rest day. I also lift twice a week with a trainer and lifting heavy as well. On those lifting days I typically run in the morning (3-5 miles) and lift late in the afternoon. My trainer always checks in to see how I am feeling, did I run that day and how far/fast and adjusts what we are doing accordingly. Doesn't necessarily mean less just maybe not as much focus on legs but more on full body or upper body. He also cuts back on the lower body impact the week or so before I have a race. For example tonight will be my last strength workout before my HM on the 29th. There have been days where I have a specific run on the plan that I had to modify after a tough lifting session but I have also had some where I thought my legs would be too trashed to run the next day and they felt amazing.
    @pastorvincent - funny how our societal norms still have the expectation of the woman taking care of the husband and somehow being responsible for what and how much he eats or not. I personally don't have that kind of control over mine and wouldn't want the responsibility. Besides he would hate me because I would take all of his junk/sweet food away :lol: Like @kcs76 says - my mouth would get me in trouble in that situation too!
    @polskagirl01 - The charts are ok as a reference point but even a lot of practitioners don't like them, especially when used alone. You can have very low BF and still be too high on the BMI chart.
    @hesn92 - over time the cushioning (foam) in your shoes will dry out so if you have had them for years, whether you ran in them or not I would get new running shoes and keep those for walks and hikes and other non-running activities. Running shoes have changed and evolved a lot too with many options and levels of cushioning, etc.. I would recommend going to a running focused store and have a gait analysis done to get you in the correct shoes. Just use caution if they try to sell you orthotics.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    It's 82F here right now, but it was a delicious 57F when I ran this morning.

Just goes to show that life is not fair. :wink:
  • KeepRunningFatboy
    KeepRunningFatboy Posts: 3,055 Member
    Options
    July Goals: 200 running miles.

July Running:
    07.02.18 - 07.08.18: Running Miles 48 / Weekly TSS 585 / Fitness: 76 CTL
    07.09.18 - 07.15.19: Running Miles 40.3 / Weekly TSS 484 / Fitness: 75 CTL
    07.16.18 - 07.22.18: Running Miles / Weekly TSS / Fitness: CTL
    07.23.18 - 07.29.18: Running Miles / Weekly TSS / Fitness: CTL

Goals 07.16.18 - 07.22.18:
    Run: 6 Days, plus a LR of 15 on Wknd.

Base 1 : Week 3 of 4
    07.16.18 - 8 m. Had to stop & change shirts it was so humid :)
    07.17.18 - 10.2 m. in 2 runs.
    07.19.18 - 11.2 m. in 2 runs.

Upcoming Events:
    08.25.18 - Tour de Donut Bike Ride

• MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    Options
    Thanks @PastorVincent, @kgirlhart, and @shanaber! Last October I posted one of those “do I really need a rest day?” posts on the fitness forum and got some very helpful advice that mostly boiled down to “yes” and “never jog in place at stop lights”. I realized that I’ve primarily been struggling mid-week after my Monday deadlifting workout, so I think moving that forward a day and adding a mid-week rest day is probably the simplest tweak. I had a really good stretching session earlier today so that’s going right on the schedule going forward.

I think I’d like to work up to running a half marathon, but I’m not in any sort of rush - I just want to keep running, keep lifting, and avoid hurting myself. I realized looking at the HH plan that I’m really not ready to commit to more than about an hour of “workout” time most days. Given my current pace, the HH plan would have me at about an hour and a half three days a week and I’m just not down for that right now.

So for the rest of July going into August I’ll start off with this and see how it goes:

Monday: 3-3.5 miles
    Tuesday: 1 mile/lift (deadlift/inverted row/OHP)
    Wed: rest/stretch
    Thurs: 2-3 miles
    Fri: lift (squat/BP/1h row)/stretch
    Sat: Long run
    Sun: rest/stretch
  • AmyOutOfControl
    AmyOutOfControl Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    It is 112F here. Index is now 113.4.

Who set the world on fire?

It’s 104 here. Your in a hotter level of hell than me right now.
  • marisap2010
    marisap2010 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    I had a 4 mile run scheduled for tonight, but it is POURING outside with lots of thunder. I took tomorrow off, so I suppose I’ll try to get up while it is still cooler to get it in before my strength training later in the day.
  • marisap2010
    marisap2010 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    Also, I had planned to order new running shoes tomorrow since it will be pay day, and the sale price went up today! I’ll probably still order them, but I am bummed.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    I ordered more Nike Pegasus 34s.

Loved my first pair. I've worn them for fast 5km runs, and on my 50 km run. Never any problems.

The 35s are out, but I really wanted to get another pair of 34s since I know they're awesome.

I found them in my size and with $50 off too! Win! :smile:
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    Also, I had planned to order new running shoes tomorrow since it will be pay day, and the sale price went up today! I’ll probably still order them, but I am bummed.

@marisap2010 Don't be bummed. Look elsewhere!

Unless you have a Size 14 Narrow or something that's only available in one place, there must be hundreds of places to order from.
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    Options
    Hey all.

Yeah BMI sux. and no one really wants to get a DEXA to find out their composition - at lease here, its not easy to get them anyway.

I cant decide if I should run or not. Tomorrow is a forced rest day - it would usually be my long run day but hubby is out of town so I am alone with the kids. I kinda want to run, but kinda dont, and the don't is currently winning. This week has been all over the place, and I just feel like my rhythm has been thrown off. I havent even done any weights this week! Ill see how I feel in an hour or so. sigh. part of me thinks this is just my mind going take a break, it wont hurt, and given ive gone from doing about 10-15k a week to around 30k, including a regular 10k run...

blah blah moan blah lol. TGIF!
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    Looking like I will have to take a DNS at the Liberty Get Well race this week. It is on the same day that we are closing on the house... ah well.
  • seanevan10
    seanevan10 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    seanevan10 wrote: »

I'm only 10 miles in so far this month. I have really been splitting my time with swimming, biking and running for triathlon stuff.

I am super excited to meet IRL and run a race with @Elise4270 this weekend in Oklahoma!

Nervousness hasn't set in yet. It's been so hot, I think I'm brain dead. I'm just going to focus on hanging out and having Mexican food :wink:

I'm glad at least one of us isn't nervous. It has been so hot that I can't fathom to run outside and our house is under construction and can't get to the treadmill. ACK! I can't wait to hang out and eat mexican food on Sat!