July 2018 Running Challenge

Replies

• polskagirl01
    polskagirl01 Posts: 2,010 Member
    missevil wrote: »
    AprilRN10 wrote: »
    @missevil When I started out, I just repeated the weeks until I could complete them and then moved on. I couldn't do C25K because it progressed too quickly for my skill level. I switched to John Bingham and he got me running. Now I do Hal Higdon for improving. YOU CAN DO IT!
    I've never heard about John Bingham, I'll look him up :) Always eager to learn more, thanks.
    Teresa502 wrote: »
    @missevil – Even though your evening run was rough, it’s good to change things up. Not every run will be a good run. It’s the bad ones that make us appreciate the good ones!
    I can see why variety is good and keeps us from getting too bored but this evening run was really bad. I might meet with a friend though and add a few laps on a real running track as soon as I am comfortable with running a few kilometres without walking in between. That probably is still challenging, due to temperature and energy level but at least I don't have to run through crowds of chilling people.

Ok, back to my surprisingly awesome progress:

July 2018
    Guestimated goal: 50 60 Km
    Achieved so far: 45 Km

2. 3,95 Km
    4. 2,82 Km
    5. 2,83 Km
    6. 3,79 Km
    9. 3,61 Km
    11. 4,69 Km
    13. 4,45 Km
    15. 5,55 Km
    16. 4,18 Km
    18. 3,86 Km
    20. 5,29 Km

I'm extremely pleased and surprised by how well it went so far. I apparently found a good pace, which brings me through without too many issues. It's very slow (~7:35 per kilometre) but firstly, I'm a total noob and secondly, I'm a shorty (1,55m / 5'1") with short legs, so my step-length is ridiculously short, which makes me in the end pretty slow when based on the distance. But that doesn't matter and I'm super proud of myself! (ok, it might matter when I try to do a 5K but not when I'm alone)

Is there a site or something which will convert pace from km to miles, for us metric-impaired Americans? I did the math myself and got 12:13, is that correct?

If it is correct, that's a quite respectable pace for a short female noob running 5k! My first 5k was 38 minutes or something. Your pace will improve gradually as your conditioning improves, but there are several female runners here who run 12 minute miles. Great job finding a pace that feels comfortable!

https://www.unitjuggler.com/convert-speed-from-minkm-to-minmile.html?val=7.6
    Yes, it's a completely acceptable pace for running for fitness or for fun!
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    missevil wrote: »
    AprilRN10 wrote: »
    @missevil When I started out, I just repeated the weeks until I could complete them and then moved on. I couldn't do C25K because it progressed too quickly for my skill level. I switched to John Bingham and he got me running. Now I do Hal Higdon for improving. YOU CAN DO IT!
    I've never heard about John Bingham, I'll look him up :) Always eager to learn more, thanks.
    Teresa502 wrote: »
    @missevil – Even though your evening run was rough, it’s good to change things up. Not every run will be a good run. It’s the bad ones that make us appreciate the good ones!
    I can see why variety is good and keeps us from getting too bored but this evening run was really bad. I might meet with a friend though and add a few laps on a real running track as soon as I am comfortable with running a few kilometres without walking in between. That probably is still challenging, due to temperature and energy level but at least I don't have to run through crowds of chilling people.

Ok, back to my surprisingly awesome progress:

July 2018
    Guestimated goal: 50 60 Km
    Achieved so far: 45 Km

2. 3,95 Km
    4. 2,82 Km
    5. 2,83 Km
    6. 3,79 Km
    9. 3,61 Km
    11. 4,69 Km
    13. 4,45 Km
    15. 5,55 Km
    16. 4,18 Km
    18. 3,86 Km
    20. 5,29 Km

I'm extremely pleased and surprised by how well it went so far. I apparently found a good pace, which brings me through without too many issues. It's very slow (~7:35 per kilometre) but firstly, I'm a total noob and secondly, I'm a shorty (1,55m / 5'1") with short legs, so my step-length is ridiculously short, which makes me in the end pretty slow when based on the distance. But that doesn't matter and I'm super proud of myself! (ok, it might matter when I try to do a 5K but not when I'm alone)

Is there a site or something which will convert pace from km to miles, for us metric-impaired Americans? I did the math myself and got 12:13, is that correct?

If it is correct, that's a quite respectable pace for a short female noob running 5k! My first 5k was 38 minutes or something. Your pace will improve gradually as your conditioning improves, but there are several female runners here who run 12 minute miles. Great job finding a pace that feels comfortable!

i type it into google and it does the math for me