August 2018 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• workaholic_nurse
    workaholic_nurse Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    hmmph ticker factory not updating correctly? Shows correct on their website but not on my post.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    @PastorVincent Ready Player One was an awesome book...I don't think I will see the movie as it would just ruin my perceptions of it.

None of the six "challenges" except Adventure from the book are in the movie, the entire school plot was dropped, as was "H"s basement, none of the gates, battle at the castle is way truncated, Og has a much smaller role, characters swap roles, and so on. It really is a retelling more than an adaptation. If you watch it, it would be best to separate it from the book, think of it as a remake maybe.
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    hmmph ticker factory not updating correctly? Shows correct on their website but not on my post.

We get this question a few times each month: Short answer, check later and you will see it updated fine. It is due to the way browsers cache stuff. All is good :)
  • eleanorhawkins
    eleanorhawkins Posts: 1,655 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    1. I'm buying trail running sandals. Brands?
    2. @eleanorhawkins Shin splints are often caused by too much too soon, pronation, not the right shoe, or cambored surfaces. If its medial shin splints, you can push into the sore spot where the angry attachment is, and flex your foot up and down to work that knot.

Then i think you should cross train until you can run with tolerated pain and add calf strengthening exercise.

@Elise4270 Thanks for the input! Yeah, I'm pretty sure it's just a case of too much too soon as I'm a bit of a noob, even though on paper I haven't upped my weekly mileage for over a month. I just get kind of overexcited. Shoes are fine, at least they damn well should be they were perfect at first, are only 2.5 months old and have done under 200 kilometres, and there's no sign of wear on the tread. I run on flat paths and pavements or a dirt track so don't think it's that. Don't think I pronate either. Guess I'll have to have them looked at if it continues. It's just worrying me that I'll never actually be able to run longer distances without messing my legs up. I HAVE to do the half in December even if I speed-crawl it.... my not very supportive other half first told me I was crazy to want to do it, then tried to forbid me from doing it. So, yeah, I'm doing it even if it kills me ;-)
  • workaholic_nurse
    workaholic_nurse Posts: 727 Member
    Options

We get this question a few times each month: Short answer, check later and you will see it updated fine. It is due to the way browsers cache stuff. All is good :)

Thanks @PastorVincent
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    So I have a fasting blood draw Monday. I am debating if I run or not. I can do a 40-minute foundation run fasted but I usually eat something after. I can't run any other time of day, too hot. Do I just take a ton of food with me and shovel it in after my blood draw? I risk getting shakey, headache, and crabby with or without the run.

@RunsOnEspresso I had a fasting blood draw for a physical 2 weeks ago. I ran a quick 5k beforehand with only black coffee to fuel me. I lived, however, my husband (who went with me because he had a physical scheduled at the same time) immediately stopped at the closest Starbucks. It made us both late however... I think he was legitimately scared of my hangry-ness. ;)

I'm not allowed to have black coffee in the morning. Water only. :s

RE: Running Sandals

Many years ago I read the book Born to Run which is about the Tarahumara tribe. They run in a sandal of sorts. If you haven't read the book, I highly recommend it.
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    Options
    2. @eleanorhawkins Shin splints are often caused by too much too soon, pronation, not the right shoe, or cambored surfaces. If its medial shin splints, you can push into the sore spot where the angry attachment is, and flex your foot up and down to work that knot.

Then i think you should cross train until you can run with tolerated pain and add calf strengthening exercise.

@Elise4270 Thanks for the input! Yeah, I'm pretty sure it's just a case of too much too soon as I'm a bit of a noob, even though on paper I haven't upped my weekly mileage for over a month. I just get kind of overexcited. Shoes are fine, at least they damn well should be they were perfect at first, are only 2.5 months old and have done under 200 kilometres, and there's no sign of wear on the tread. I run on flat paths and pavements or a dirt track so don't think it's that. Don't think I pronate either. Guess I'll have to have them looked at if it continues. It's just worrying me that I'll never actually be able to run longer distances without messing my legs up. I HAVE to do the half in December even if I speed-crawl it.... my not very supportive other half first told me I was crazy to want to do it, then tried to forbid me from doing it. So, yeah, I'm doing it even if it kills me ;-)

It definitely sounds like dialing back is the key, then. I am a relative newbie as well - I started late last summer and then took most of December through April off. When I first started I would stop running as soon as my shins started hurting and walk until they felt better, then repeat. I don't recall how long it took before it stopped happening, but it definitely did eventually. As for weekly mileage, it will come if you're patient! It's probably not the most useful metric of progress early on, anyhow. I ran more miles in my first month back to regular running this spring than I did in all of 2017!

There are a lot of resources out there for keeping your legs healthy while running, but in my experience strength training is probably the most helpful, so if you're not doing that already, it might be something to look into. Even bodyweight workouts can help a lot if you don't have access to a gym or want to invest in equipment right away.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options

I suffered with shin splints for some time. You will get stronger and one day you'll realize that it doesn't hurt and you won't remember when that happened. Just dont give up!
  • PastorVincent
    Options

Were you fitted for those shoes? If not you might want to see if there is a running store near you that can check your stride and footfall to make sure you have the right shoes. :)
  • eleanorhawkins
    Options
    @MegaMooseEsq thanks, yeah I've only been running around a year. They don't actually start to hurt while I'm running strangely enough, it's only the afternoon/evening when they start to feel a little sore. Thinking about it the last time it happened a few weeks ago they were more painful than sore by this time, so fingers crossed today it's just post-workout ache and a rest tomorrow will sort it. I had only been doing upper body strength training until about a month ago, have now added another full body session once a week and am gradually increasing the weights. Maybe I need to add a second session but don't want to overdo it. I had been walking for an hour as cross-training on the 3 days per week I don't run. Now thinking I probably need to include a real rest day for my legs and swap that for swimming or cycling.
  • eleanorhawkins
    Options

Were you fitted for those shoes? If not you might want to see if there is a running store near you that can check your stride and footfall to make sure you have the right shoes. :)

Yes I was, we were a match made in the heavenly running store :-)
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    Options
    @MegaMooseEsq thanks, yeah I've only been running around a year. They don't actually start to hurt while I'm running strangely enough, it's only the afternoon/evening when they start to feel a little sore. Thinking about it the last time it happened a few weeks ago they were more painful than sore by this time, so fingers crossed today it's just post-workout ache and a rest tomorrow will sort it. I had only been doing upper body strength training until about a month ago, have now added another full body session once a week and am gradually increasing the weights. Maybe I need to add a second session but don't want to overdo it. I had been walking for an hour as cross-training on the 3 days per week I don't run. Now thinking I probably need to include a real rest day for my legs and swap that for swimming or cycling.

Hah, it's so hard to tell what timeframe is involved when someone says they're new - you've probably been running longer than me! I don't know that I've ever had shin pain when I wasn't actually running, although the calves and hammies definitely started talking to me on the regular in the last month or so, and I'm in an ongoing battle to keep my knees from pooping out on me. I'm trying out two rest days a week and upping the stretching and targeted strength exercises - it's been helping the last couple of weeks at least. I do heavy full-body lifting workouts twice a week but it definitely has taken experimentation to find the right balance - I had to drop from three workouts a week to two back in May when I started running regularly again, and running the day after deadlifts is a definite no-go at this point.
  • Scott6255
    Scott6255 Posts: 2,439 Member
    Options
    @eleanorhawkins just one more possible cause for shin splints...over-striding. If you can shorten your forward stride so your feet land under your hips and not in front of you, that should help reduce shin pain. The easiest way to accomplish this is to make sure your cadence is not too slow. About 170-180 steps/minute (both feet) should help get your feet to land underneath you. Just something to think about.
  • cburke8909
    cburke8909 Posts: 990 Member
    Options
    Monthly Question?

macros. Do you target them? And where's your personal "sweet" spot?

No I pay attention to them. Especially if I am feeling hungry. I shoot for lower carbs and higher protein.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    Scott6255 wrote: »
    Just wanted to do a test run after Wednesday's ankle roll.
    Sounds like special sushi for runners...

oh we got jokes now...