pipcd34 Posts: 16,552 Member
    Options
    O
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,215 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Karen - I will message Penny. :D
    The books and CDs plus two old smart phones were taken by an Oxfam shop in Winchester that is only for books and music. They have a huge online database as well, so people can also buy that way.
    I have found it hugely cheering that I can get stuff easily to people who want it. Sometimes there is a queue. :) Nothing has failed to go except jam jars. I don't even care if people resell it, but that's not the impression I've got. Some of the stuff that is advertised on there seems so unlikely, but people seem to want it. Stuff like a roll of wallpaper, or rubble!
    No harm in trying something out. If you don't like it you can stop it.
    I do still take stuff to the dump, which I find enormously therapeutic. They also recycle furniture and decent crocks.
    Where I lived in London they had a day when you could take stuff down to a huge skip on the corner. No sooner had you put something there someone would take it. Occasionally I would put something, like shelves, out on the pavement with a notice attached, PLEASE TAKE. It always went. :D
    Unfortunately, the people who could really use things like sheets or beds often don't have the transport, though some can often call on a friend with an old van. We do live out in the countryside.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxx
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    Heather Thanks! For messaging Penny & for more info on how to get rid of stuff in an orderly fashion. <3

Here's a trivia question: What is minus 40 degrees Celsius in Fahrenheit?

Karen in Virginia
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,923 Member
    Options
    Heather Thanks! For messaging Penny & for more info on how to get rid of stuff in an orderly fashion. <3

Karen in Virginia

I thought I knew the answer, but just to be safe, I looked it up and I was right.
  • cityjaneLondon
    Options
    I looked it up as well and didn't believe the first answer, so I tried another website that had a chart. :D

Love Heather UK xxxxxxx
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,885 Member
    Options

Karen in Virginia

That's an easy one. :)

Do you want me to come right out and tell you ... or let others guess?

Incidentally, when I'm trying to make conversions for those who use Fahrenheit, I go with this rough estimate ...

0 is of course 32
    5 is about 40 (41)
    10 is 50
    15 is about 60 (59)
    20 is about 70 (68)
    25 is about 80 (well, not really, it's 77)
    30 is 86

It kind of breaks down the higher you go ... and the lower you go.

So the 14C I mentioned earlier is close to 15C which is about 60F, or specifically 57F. And quite a nice day for the end of winter. :)

Machka in Oz

• pipcd34
    Options
    P
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    Machka Oh, let the others guess. It prolongs the fun. :)
  • ljdw99
    ljdw99 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    -
  • pipcd34
    Options
    forcing myself to NOT workout today is a hard thing to do
  • cityjaneLondon
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Had a complicated afternoon sorting out a HUGE box of stuff. One big file was plays written by my mother for her local community club. They acted them at various drama festivals. She directed them as well as wrote them. I've kept that file, but didn't look through it. There might be other stuff in there that needs attention. Still looking for my father's war record.
    One big box file was a huge pile of all my writing correspondence. I've winnowed that down and just kept the most complimentary letters! ;):* It's nice to warm yourself sometimes. :)
    Another file was my teaching and workshops. I used to teach creative writing and drama/psychodrama. Titles like "Images of Ourselves" and "The Creative Express" . :D I've also kept the reports of my teaching supervision which are highly complementary. :bigsmile:
    Plus I've kept correspondence relating to the play/performance SONG OF MYSELF, about Lou Salome, the German psychoanalyst, that I wrote and directed in 1991. I asked friends and family to be "Angels" and give me money to put the play on. It is warming to see how many responded and what lovely letters I got. <3<3<3<3 We all need a boost.
    Also found my boys' old school reports and early writings. Have put those aside to give to them. Amazing to see how little they have changed. :noway:
    But I have chucked a mountain of paper away and fitted everything into a much smaller box. :D
    Phew! It's been quite an afternoon reliving all that!
    DH has now got the bug and is sorting files and shredding!!!

Love Heather, exhausted from an emotional roller coaster. UK xxxxxxxxxx
  • coastalgosgal
    coastalgosgal Posts: 2,900 Member
    Options
    Way to go Heather!! ((((hugs)))), its definitely a roller coaster ride! Before each of my son's left for boot camp, I sat down with them, and we went thru their baby box and school papers. We threw a lot out, and would end up with a box of keepsakes. That box was sent to them at a much later time. We also had a box packed of civilian clothes, their laptop, and stuff they would be able to use once they graduated from boot camp. My eldest son had so many boxes of toys, that we rented a storage unit, we paid for the first couple of months, then it was his responsibility. Its interesting to see all his items now, throughout our home!💗
    Love Rebecca
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,344 Member
    Options
    B)
  • pipcd34
    Options
    Pppp
  • trisH_7183
    trisH_7183 Posts: 1,486 Member
    Options
    Hot as hades here,so did grocery shopping at 7am,then home to enjoy the AC B) The temps due to last 4 days.

TERRY IN VT,I remember your pretty jewelery.......new necklace is pretty too.Sorry for your problems. Dd’s friend in her 40s had foot surgery 6 wks ago & now the incision is infected. She can barely move at all,is depressed & Dr office gave her appt for 10 days later. How can a Dr ignore infection at his surgical site? Grrr.

HEATHER,we do have a couple places to get rid of stuff. One prob is,DH hates the ph calls & I am leary of strangers in the house. Furniture & stuff so easy to buy,but no one wants used whatever,so getting rid of it is no fun. WOW to the many files & papers you go thru!

At one time,both DDs loved that we had lots of room & seemed to think I was gonna be the storage lady. Holidays were coming & I got 2 boxes,both big enough to hold a W&D (&did). Filled them with their school papers,notebooks,grad books,lots of pictures,grad robes,junk etc. Wrapped them,added huge bows......so pretty.You should have seen the look on their faces.
    “Mom,what am I gonna do with this?” Mean Mom said,that stuff is your problem.."...you decide.

Now they are both downsizing......does my heart good :D

Someone mentioned cook books. Used to have a huge collection. When we started traveling that was the 1st thing to go. Gave camping club their choice & rest to library.
    Computers made them obsolete.Yesterday,went to new library & came home with 3 new books.......not sure they will get read :/ but loved seeing the library. Used to be like my 2 nd home.

An elec transformer on DDs property in NC was hit by lightning. They are working/shopping this wk end to replace 2 TVS, & few other things.The AC had new motor installed yesterday. She was happy it didn’t kill her new computer.....only because she unpluged electronics before traveling for her job.
    Been thru that & lost a new fridge with lots of food,what a mess!

Time for iced tea & to watch some golf. You all have a nice wk end. Pat C