August 2018 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• sarahthes
    sarahthes Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    When you have to do a long run and found a route that looks cool only to learn (via conversation & street view) that it's actually a high speed highway with no real shoulder...

Guessing I will run laps of the village instead. After I digest breakfast.
  • marisap2010
    marisap2010 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    @katharmonic The Jeff Galloway plan I am following had me build up over about 30 weeks and has me actually doing 26 miles as my last long run one month before the marathon. I know that it a lot longer than most training plans have as the longest run, and so it advises a longer taper to recover. The long runs for the 3 weeks before the race are 7/6/7.
  • katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    Options
    That's interesting @marisap2010. I don't think I would be up for a 5k/10k a day or two after a full marathon distance long run! But you could plan to walk it/run easy as a recovery maybe? We run by time goals rather than distance but my longest run will probably be in the 20-22 mile range. I think I will probably do that about 3 weeks out and then something like 12 and 8-ish for the 2 weeks before. But I'm worried about not having enough of a taper so that's why I was curious.

Good luck with your training plan, I look forward to hearing how it goes for you.
  • marisap2010
    marisap2010 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    @katharmonic Yes, I’m not sure if I’ll feel up to anything a couple of days after such a long run, so I’m contemplating whether to do it at all.
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    @Avidkeo - I just live with the glasses; I'm too old to learn to poke myself in the eye. Most of the time, they don't fog up running; but when it's cool out they can fog up as soon as I go inside. When I know it will be raining or otherwise challenging for the glasses, I drive to where I'll run then change glasses. I wear my old pair to run then pull my clean current pair out of their case for the drive home.
  • workaholic_nurse
    workaholic_nurse Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    3.01 today on endomondo for 11.56/50 for the month. Ticker will update on Monday as I have it on the work 'puter. 80F with about 90% humidity and brief cloudburst about 10 minutes after run completed. Wasn't gonna get out there today but y'all inspired me. Have an awesome day!🏃‍♂️🏃‍♀️💪
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    Options
    Avidkeo wrote: »
    shanaber wrote: »
    @avidkeo - I don't need my glasses to see distance really so I leave them home. Makes it a bit difficult to read my watch or a text message when I am out but I really don't need to be doing that when I am out running anyways!
    Someone here suggested wiping glasses with shaving cream to keep them from fogging over. It was in response to my question about sunglasses but I expect it would work for regular glasses too.

Hadn't heard about the shaving cream! Might be worth a try! I definitely need mine, can't see more than about a foot in front of my nose so necessary for on coming traffic lol

I was going to say I don't normally wear them. When I race or go places I'm unfamiliar I wear contacts. I wonder if the stuff for scuba masks would work? I dunno.

I used spit when SCUBA diving... lol
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    Options
    noblsheep wrote: »
    No runs have happened yet this month. We are going through a big heat wave and even 5am is too hot for me running wise - leaving the house every morning feels like facing a death squad. I have been lifting, cycling and doing other kinds of (preferably indoors) training. The heat is supposed to break on Monday.

Re: Macros. I mostly keep an eye on my proteins, with 100g a day as current goal. Enough protein mostly keeps me from being hungry all the time. Carbs and fats will happen anyway so although I track them I don't really look at the numbers.

@Avidkeo I've got a swimmer's trick for foggy glasses. Smear the lenses with Johnson's baby shampoo (a thin layer, a drop each side should be enough), wait for ten minutes, and wash it off with water. This trick keeps swimming goggles clear for three or four swims, so it should be able to keep your glasses fogless for at least the day.

Oh ill have to try that!
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    It's hot again! 96 temp and 75 dewpoint. It seems like my running pace is highly dependent on temperature - ran trails on the same trails as last week's PR, nearly a minute slower per mile than when the temp was twenty degrees cooler. Only 5k since my husband wrenched his ankle last run and it's not 100 percent. Hopefully it will be better by two days from now for our next run.

exercise.png

Re: macros. I'm a type 2 diabetic so counting carbs is life for me - I eat as many carbs as my glucose readings say I can handle, which is usually 30 - 50g per meal depending on what the food is and how quickly it hits my bloodstream. On days after lifting, and immediately following a run, my tolerances are much higher than otherwise. I try not to eat fewer carbs than 150g / day because then I start to get keto adapted and it makes me feel ill. I also try to get enough protein, optimally 150g on days when I lift. If I eat enough protein and carbs while staying within my calories for the day, the fat pretty much takes care of itself.

I saw a barefoot runner on the trail! Based on his appearance I think he may be from another country, and not aware that he was running in poison ivy (which I got on my neck after our last trail run when a tree branch caught me in the face) on a trail where poisonous snakes frequently sun themselves. It just seems like a really unsafe thing, humans invented shoes for a reason.