August 2018 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• RunnerGrl1982
    RunnerGrl1982 Posts: 412 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Uggggg such a bad run. Nothing exciting bad, just humid and ouch and lost and blah. More humorous and detailed update after a nap.

I feel this post on a spiritual level.

Sorry to hear about your run! But you got out there, so YAY(?). I'm very intrigued in the "lost" part. Hope you're doing alright! Looking forward to your updated post later.

@skippygirlsmom Nice run! Congrats. The medal is definitely cool.
    @Elise4270 wrote: »
    Monthly Question?

macros. Do you target them? And where's your personal "sweet" spot?

I do keep an eye out on my macros, but I don't keep myself terribly strict on hitting the targets each day. I normally make sure I'm in the ball park, and stay within the ratios I've set plus or minus how active I've been on that particular day. I'll look at the end of each day and review - if I find myself off in a particular area, I will adjust accordingly.

I'm still too new to the tracking method on MFP to have found a sweet spot yet, but I am trying to see what works for me. I've only been doing this for a little less than a month, so trial and error will no doubt play a roll for me in finding which macros % will benefit me most coinciding with my workouts.

• Scott6255
    Scott6255 Posts: 2,435 Member
    Options
    @skippygirlsmom way to go on that trail race! Cool medal. Too bad Skip wasn't able to give you aid :'(
  • garygse
    garygse Posts: 896 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    @_nikkiwolf_ Living in Europe in a heatwave without AC is no fun...been there plenty of times growing up. If it's not humid where you are, have you considered making a swamp cooler? Essentially it's a bucket of ice water with a fan on top, but it'll probably help you sleep a little better at night (again, only if it's not humid). Plenty of examples on the web that'll give you a better idea of how they work.

@skippygirlsmom Nice run on the trail! Sorry to hear you didn't enjoy it so much, but awesome job all the same!
  • aab1
    aab1 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    August goal: 25 miles
    8/1 3
    8/2 2.6
    8/3 0
    8/4 3.5

Month to date: 9.1 / 25
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    @Elise4270 wrote: »
    Monthly Question?

macros. Do you target them? And where's your personal "sweet" spot?

I fell off the bandwagon hard with this when I developed my wheat issues. I still trying to get back to low carb, which I firmly believe is the healthiest diet. I just need to work my way back into it. It will help when we get more unpacked too. :)

• LaDispute57
    LaDispute57 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    @midwesterner85 Nicely done! Gotta love those unsupported solo training marathons...
  • LaDispute57
    Options
    @MegaMooseEsq Loved the report!!
  • LaDispute57
    Options
    @midwesterner85 I hoofed it today carrying all my stuff... no shops or anything on these back country roads... loaded up with water and Tailwind... had 120 ounces but ran dry with 3.5 miles to go... damn near died...lol... seriously thought about stream water, but dysentery, ya know?
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    A Run, by MegaMoose, Esq.

Me at 2:30: Huh, looks like the predicted thunderstorms have been pushed back. I could totally get a long run in and then work on grading over a well-earned cheeseburger! 90% humidity with a dew point of 68 isn’t great, but at least it’s only 70 degrees, overcast, and I’m really busy tomorrow. Let’s go!

Me around 3:30: Man, that first mile is the worst.

3:35: Wait, I just now hit a mile?

-: I’m breathing pretty hard. Better slow down. But make sure to relax my arms and shoulders. And not to cross my arms. And breathe in an odd pattern. Wait, I think my arms are crossing. Am I relaxed yet? Don’t look down!

-: First section of new path. Oh, the running path has disappeared into the bike path. Well, I’m just a spoiled duckling used to divided paths, aren’t I?

-: I think I went too far.

-: It’s really hard to get much sense out of the map on my watch, but I’m pretty sure I went too far.

3:50-ish: Great, a water fountain! *water fountain doesn’t work* Oh good, a trail map! *map cuts off before it gets where I’d planned on going* F this. *turns back* I probably just didn’t go far enough. Whatever. Do I need to run against traffic on a bike path? Those people walking six abreast don’t seem to think so. I am not relaxed. Are my knees actually hitting each other? Wouldn’t I be sure if they were? Why is my left ankle numb?

-: Finally, somewhere I recognize!

-: I should definitely take a new shortcut now.

-: OMG did I get turned around again? *checks watch again, realize I have lost all ability to read maps but remain convinced I’m going the wrong way somehow* Okay, I can see a lake ahead. But which lake is it? Oh thank god it’s the right lake. Home free!

-: *still running* My back hurts and my legs hurt and my throat hurts and I do not feel relaxed.

4:16: *Finally reaches the drinking fountain about a mile from home. Turns off my workout tracker, walks to the waterside. About to sit down on some detritus when I see a dead fish. Sit down anyhow but keep my shoes on*

4:20: Hey, if I run around THIS lake I should hit a bit over seven miles like I planned. But why would I do that, self? Because you’re a bag of crazy, that’s why. You wouldn’t be out here otherwise. Good point, precious. Let’s go.

4:24 to 5:01: [omitted 35 minutes of wondering why I do this to myself, reminding myself that it will take too long to walk all the way home, trying to figure out why so many people quit running because of their knees when science! says impact is good for strengthening your joints, why Minneapolis is apparently the one place outside of California (I assume) where no one minds running in a sports bra, and so on, and so forth]

A half hour later: oooh, PRs for distance and weekly mileage! *starts planning my MFP update*

The end.

AUGUST MILES:
    8/1 We - 0:21:46 - 1.86
    8/2 Th - rest, prehab
    8/3 Fr - 0:20:08 - 1.96 fartleks, lifted heavy things
    8/4 Sa - 1:24:32 - 7.30

Total: 11.12/50 miles

Races!
    July 4: Red, White and Boom! 5K Chip time: 0:32:20
    August 25: The Glo Run Night Race 5K
    September 8th, 9th, 15th, or 16th: MN Brewery Running Series 5K-ish fun run
    October 6: Twin Cities Marathon Weekend 5K

Shout out to the August 50 mile club! @mbaker566, @robdavis1, @Teerai, @hanlonsk, @grrrlwonder, @noblsheep, @ireallylikeyourface1989, @ereck44, and stretch members @5BeautifulDays and @rheddmobile and @jele30! And anyone I missed!
    Hey, you ran a quarter marathon!
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    @LaDispute57 When I'm out on trails without frequent safe water sources, I carry a Sawyer squeeze micro filter and bag or bottle for refill.
  • ereck44
    ereck44 Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    @MegaMooseEsq Thanks for the shout-out!

I feel the way that you do during the first mile to mile and a half. I learned that after I break a sweat, it is a lot easier. The last time I ran, I felt okay after a half mile, but it was extremely hot, and I broke a sweat faster.

Do you run with music? To me, it is way harder to run to the sounds of nature or silence. I am also thinking about downloading some audiobooks, just for a change.

@Elise4270 I am not really a macro counter, but pay attention to my daily fiber intake. I usually try to meet or exceed it due to my chronic constipation issues. I still have 8 pounds to lose, but have kept off 46 pounds.