August 2018 Running Challenge

Replies

• Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Avidkeo wrote: »
    What do you guys do for a warm up and how much of a difference do you notice?

On most runs, I walk a couple of hundred metres, then make my first 1-2 kms very slow.

If I'm going to go for it on a run, I'll do 1-2 km easy and some dynamic stretches before the race. That also applies our speed/interval sessions for our running club.
  • noblsheep
    noblsheep Posts: 584 Member
    edited August 2018
    0811-7.1k, total-21.1k, goal-80.5k

Regular old loop. It was hot, I was starving, and everything hurt. So it was just one of those runs...

Re: warm-up @Avidkeo I'm pretty bad at warming up. Sometimes if I run first thing in the morning I do dynamic stretches. Don't usually feel a need for them if I run after work, since I've either just cycled 10km home or had a pretty fast walk from the subway station.

Re: every mile is a bear @RunnerGrl1982 I started running in Nov. 2013. I think it took me a month or so. Even now it's sometimes still hard (today for example), but I think we also get used to the feeling that running is hard, and so get better at pushing through the bearish parts.

Upcoming races:
    20181027 Mogan Ultra 30k
    20181118 Shanghai Marathon (maybe)
  • Scott6255
    Scott6255 Posts: 2,430 Member
    @Elise4270 my guess would be the knock-out gas at the dentist. Especially with dreams like that ;)
    If it is menopausal, afraid I can't help you there. Probably just this dang weather. It's been sucking the will, energy, and motivation from me.
    Hang in there and it will get better.... eventually.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Scott6255 wrote: »
    @Elise4270 my guess would be the knock-out gas at the dentist. Especially with dreams like that ;)
    If it is menopausal, afraid I can't help you there. Probably just this dang weather. It's been sucking the will, energy, and motivation from me.
    Hang in there and it will get better.... eventually.

Can't or won't? 😁 (Archer reference).

I figured part of it has to be the exhausting heat. Thanks for the support.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    I have no mojo. Please send some my way.

I think this may be menopausal. But I've always struggled with low energy levels. Usually B vitamins and lots of caffeine help. Nowadays it seems like my B's are placebo's. The caffeine just gives me a dull headache.

Dh went on a run without me. Jokes on him. He thinks its nice out. 75 F, real feel is 86 with 88% humidity. Be nice for about 3 steps.

Will take advice. May just need to give in to another round of hormone pellets. I did eat two slices of pizza two days in a row, and had knock your *kitten* out anesthesia Thursday for dental work. Maybe i can shake it if i quit eating crap food.

I dreamt i met up with @garygse but we were both teenagers at a family like gathering. i wanted to run with him, he said "no" cuz i was too slow, then i punched him in the chest and he laughed at me. Still dreaming, i checked my ranking in a race and was 5th overall. Haha!
    Yesterday Taco casa got my order wrong and gave me root beer. Hense the Gary dream. And i wanna be fast like him, i guess.

Different people react differently to anesthesia but it makes me feel bad - off color and not quite with it - for about six weeks. I looked it up because I was starting to get worried and that's not at all unusual. It seems likely even more people have lengthy reactions than anyone is aware, since most would put it down to tiredness, recovering from whatever caused them to need anesthesia in the first place, etc.