JUST FOR TODAY ....... One day at a time ..... Daily Commitment Thread for 2018

Options

Replies

• jeschepp
    jeschepp Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Happy Birthday Samson!

Bex-thank you for sharing your story and Samson’s story. *hugs* today.
  • jeschepp
    Options
    @Faebert so sorry to hear. I’ve had a few family members including my mom go through cancer treatment. It didn’t matter what level or how treatable-it was scary and upsetting every time. I’ll be thinking of you and your family. Sounds like her doctors have an action plan in place to treat this. Take care of yourself today.
  • maryrobinson40
    maryrobinson40 Posts: 1,109 Member
    Options
    Faebert wrote: »
    Hi all

So unfortunately it’s not good news for my sister. She has a carcinoma in the duct. Luckily it is not invasive but it’s high grade which means they believe it could become so. She has opted to go for a double mastectomy with reconstruction and it is all likely to happen quite fast - within the next month or so. Not that it is a a priority at the moment but they’ve also said they will send her for genetic testing as it’s highly likely given our family history that it is a genetically linked cancer - so implications for me.

I feel pretty numb right now. I wasn’t expecting it to be nothing but was hopeful that it would be at worst pre-cancerous cell changes so less urgent. She has two young children, one of whom is profoundly disabled, so we will all need to pull together to help her through surgery and recovery.

Going to try and rest a bit tonight but I need some distraction so if you find me on here wittering a lot this evening you know why!

X

@Faebert.. We're Here for you...
    I was hoping for better news.. I'm so sorry to hear this. Lean on me as much as you need to.🙏🌹🌹
  • maryrobinson40
    Options
    bcTRAI wrote: »
    Okay, one more try! I've done this twice and the first time it disappeared, the second time it disappeared when I had to wait too long to press post.
    FYI.... We are safe here from the fires. It's just the smoke that's getting us now. The fire closest to us is now considered "contained". Gotta love the euphemism. Asthma is really kicking my butt. I'm spending all my time indoors, in air conditioning if possible. We can't open our windows at night. This morning I opened one window, faced a fan at it, and turned it on high. I got the temperature down to 75°. Yay! Then closed the window and went to work.
    So basically we're fine, just annoyed with all of this.

JFT Tues
    1. Water
    2. Work
    3. Set up for Wed
    4. Brush and floss
    5. Bed by 10:30

@bcTRAI ... I'm thankful to hear you're safe from the fires...but can't help but feel compassion for those who aren't... And, asthma... OMGOODNESS!
    Hugs🌹
  • maryrobinson40
    Options
    @jeschepp ... Thank you. Hugs🌹🌹
  • clicketykeys
    clicketykeys Posts: 6,568 Member
    Options
    Checking in from Tuesday
    1. AM basic run: 16 laps; aim for <35 minutes. Feed cats. Shower. Morning meds. Tea! Log 1 item.
    2. Eval SJ SHP and return. Input 3rd block back work and print progress reports. Review semester plan. Cross-reference assessments and standards; which standards are over- or under-assessed? What is my purpose for each unit? Print 5PE articles. Make coffee. Today: Begin with reading, review prepositional phrases, model how I curate articles.
    3. Work on seminar proposal. Write blog post. Put extra photocopies in folders and back in filing cabinet.
    4. Update class websites. Have K use key to mark grammar work. Input SHP grades. Get chili from office kitchen.
    5. Help with softball after school (4:30). Mark 4th block work. Discussion post 1 and quiz. Check bank hours. Tweet blog post.
    6. Prep Wed lunch - salad! Chop celery. Meds. In bed by 8:45; devices off by 9:00; alarm set for 4:50.

JFT Wednesday
    1. AM basic run: 16 laps; aim for <35 minutes. Feed cats. Shower. Morning meds. Tea! Log 1 item.
    2. Input 4th block back work and print progress reports. Review semester plan. Cross-reference assessments and standards; which standards are over- or under-assessed? What is my purpose for each unit? Print 5PE articles. Make coffee.
    3. Work on seminar proposal. Put extra photocopies in folders and back in filing cabinet.
    4. Update class websites. Evaluate Reflections 7-9. Have K use key to mark grammar work. Draft Week 5.
    5. Strength class immediately after school. Tweet blog post. Quiz. Discussion responses. Draft Week 1 essay.
    6. Prep Thu lunch - leftovers? Chop celery. Meds. In bed by 8:45; devices off by 9:00; alarm set for 4:50.

Scale goals
    End of 2017: 174.6
    February 2018: 173.6
    March 2018: 179.6
    July 2018: 189.6
    Today: 189.6

Upcoming to-do:
    1. Check blogroll and follow bloggers on Twitter.
    2. Write next blog post. Comment on 3 posts each week -Tu Th Sun?
    3. Keep track of medical stuffs. Dentist? Appt w D 10/22 9:20; McC 10/22 10:15. Also Feb 7 9:30 w Ac Int. Sub already set up.
    4. Grade summer essays. Organize and grade narratives. Update parent group lists with NAMES. Note reply emails.
    5. Check on conference; create seminar proposal.
    6. Return mascara to Walmart with receipt. Go to used bookstore; take bags-of-bags and look for Beauty (McKinley), Design for How People Learn (Julie Dirksen), and The Prince (tr. Tim Parks).
    7. Put jewelry away. Yikes! Reinforce patches on old pants.
    8. Go to Mac store and see if they can retrieve the files off the iMac.
    9. Go to bank FRIDAY to set up loan to pay for masters classes.
  • mytime6630
    mytime6630 Posts: 4,205 Member
    Options
    JFT, Tues
    1. no gym since we have people working on our driveway, but try and go in evening ... or a long walk :) OMG --- I was on my feet today from 11am until 6pm power washing our house! So exhausted!
    2. log all food :) Going to do this now
    3. concentrate on water. 2 glasses with each meal, water each time I use the restroom :) Even though I was outside a lot, I drank a lot of water
    4. keep calories under 1400 :)
    5. august challenge . close kitchen :)

JFt, Wed
    1. mow grass
    2. drink water
    3. mindful eating
    4. go to quilt guild meeting -- so no eating when I get home

August Challenge: Plan just ONE evening snack, then close the kitchen
    1: Evening snack was a hard boiled egg, kitchen closed at 9pm :)
    2: Planned on a HB egg, but had 1/4c. raisin bran and some milk. It is now 9:15 pm - so a little later, but only because I wanted to color my hair first! :)
    3: Was out late, and had a glass of wine at 10:00 -- hubby wanted popcorn, so I had a very small amount, but still ,that was at 10:30!!! >:):/ But ....... I still did not eat too much, just that the klondike bar was way more calories than I thought. Lesson ... look up calories FIRST!
    4 .. no evening snack, and did great all day :)
    5... Worrying about my daughter; emotional eating:) >:):/
    6 ... emotional eating >:):/:/
    7. ... emotional eating >:):/:/
    8. Just got home tonite ... so kitchen is closed :)
    9. got into chocolate covered almonds >:)
    10. Fiber one bar, and kitchen closed at 9 pm :)
    11. Had a fiber one bar, and REALLY want another one ... or popcorn ... or something! but, drinking my water, and no going into the kitchen :)
    12. I ate FOUR brownies ! . >:)
    13.. One fiber one brownie... kitchen closed :)
    14. One fiber one brownie .... kitchen closed :)
    15. ?? I was sure I posted this ... and can't find it. Senior moment .... I cant remember!
    16. ??I was sure I posted this ... and can't find it. Senior moment .... I cant remember!
    17. ? I was sure I posted this ... and can't find it. Senior moment .... I cant remember!
    18. ?? >:)
    19. popcorn, 9:30 :)
    20. NO snack :)
    21. ONE ice cream bar = 170 cal. Kitchen closed :)
  • jeschepp
    Options
    Balance still went well today, but it is a process!

For today:
    15 minutes exercise ✅
    Track food and exercise ✅
    5 good groups :(
    Water challenge-80 oz. ✅
    Post here for accountability ✅

For tomorrow:
    15 minutes exercise
    Track food and exercise
    5 good groups
    Water challenge-80 oz.
    Post here for accountability
  • Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,740 Member
    Options
    mytime6630 wrote: »
    JFT, Tues
    1. no gym since we have people working on our driveway, but try and go in evening ... or a long walk :) OMG --- I was on my feet today from 11am until 6pm power washing our house! So exhausted!
    2. log all food :) Going to do this now
    3. concentrate on water. 2 glasses with each meal, water each time I use the restroom :) Even though I was outside a lot, I drank a lot of water
    4. keep calories under 1400 :)
    5. august challenge . close kitchen :)

JFt, Wed
    1. mow grass
    2. drink water
    3. mindful eating
    4. go to quilt guild meeting -- so no eating when I get home

August Challenge: Plan just ONE evening snack, then close the kitchen
    1: Evening snack was a hard boiled egg, kitchen closed at 9pm :)
    2: Planned on a HB egg, but had 1/4c. raisin bran and some milk. It is now 9:15 pm - so a little later, but only because I wanted to color my hair first! :)
    3: Was out late, and had a glass of wine at 10:00 -- hubby wanted popcorn, so I had a very small amount, but still ,that was at 10:30!!! >:):/ But ....... I still did not eat too much, just that the klondike bar was way more calories than I thought. Lesson ... look up calories FIRST!
    4 .. no evening snack, and did great all day :)
    5... Worrying about my daughter; emotional eating:) >:):/
    6 ... emotional eating >:):/:/
    7. ... emotional eating >:):/:/
    8. Just got home tonite ... so kitchen is closed :)
    9. got into chocolate covered almonds >:)
    10. Fiber one bar, and kitchen closed at 9 pm :)
    11. Had a fiber one bar, and REALLY want another one ... or popcorn ... or something! but, drinking my water, and no going into the kitchen :)
    12. I ate FOUR brownies ! . >:)
    13.. One fiber one brownie... kitchen closed :)
    14. One fiber one brownie .... kitchen closed :)
    15. ?? I was sure I posted this ... and can't find it. Senior moment .... I cant remember!
    16. ??I was sure I posted this ... and can't find it. Senior moment .... I cant remember!
    17. ? I was sure I posted this ... and can't find it. Senior moment .... I cant remember!
    18. ?? >:)
    19. popcorn, 9:30 :)
    20. NO snack :)
    21. ONE ice cream bar = 170 cal. Kitchen closed :)

I think power washing a house for 7 hours makes up for all the exercise required for a day plus some!
  • mytime6630
    Options
    @maryrobinson40;c-42500317"] Having seen and been with 2 of my brothers when they were with hospice it was so hard. Please take good care of yourself. You are right ... your brother would want you to be healthy and happy. Just know that we are all thinking of you, and praying. <3

@Bex953172- that is the sweetest story about little Samson .... and he know how very much he was loved by you. I so understand all about the God thing. When I lost a sister and a brother within 6 months of each other, and then another brother 3 years later, and then another brother from suicide ... I was that way. Life can be so very hard. Little did I know then that life could get even more difficult, as I watch our daughter suffer, and can't understand how a God could let this happen. SO I think we all go through times when we become angry, but the important thing is that we eventually find peace with what has happened, and know that we need some kind of inner strength to make it through. I am glad you have that peace. You are such a loving, caring mother, and now you know little Samson is looking down at you. Hugs <3
  • mytime6630
    Options
    Hi all

So unfortunately it’s not good news for my sister. She has a carcinoma in the duct. Luckily it is not invasive but it’s high grade which means they believe it could become so. She has opted to go for a double mastectomy with reconstruction and it is all likely to happen quite fast - within the next month or so. Not that it is a a priority at the moment but they’ve also said they will send her for genetic testing as it’s highly likely given our family history that it is a genetically linked cancer - so implications for me.

X

I am so so sorry to read this. But it is good that she caught it before it became invasive. There are so many cancer survivors, and I know your sister will be one of them. But I also know how scary all of this is, especially when you know you carry those same genes. My doctor wants to do genetic testing on me because of all the cancer in my family, but I have not yet. I guess I just don't want to know. It is a very personal decision, and I know you will make the best one for you. Please know you are in my thoughts and prayers, as is your sister.
  • mytime6630
    Options
    bcTRAI wrote: »
    FYI.... We are safe here from the fires. It's just the smoke that's getting us now. The fire closest to us is now considered "contained". Gotta love the euphemism. Asthma is really kicking my butt. I'm spending all my time indoors, in air conditioning if possible. We can't open our windows at night. This morning I opened one window, faced a fan at it, and turned it on high. I got the temperature down to 75°. Yay! Then closed the window and went to work.

I am so glad that you are safe from the fires. It is so scarry watching this on the news ... I just can't imagine the helpless feeling. And having asthma is not fun either . Take good care of yourself!
  • Faebert
    Faebert Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options
    Morning everyone. Thank you all for your kind words. My sister is ok - she said she somehow knew it was going to be bad news so was mentally prepared. But we have a difficult path ahead.

Trying to work out the logistics of helping her with her children/the school run/ managing her daughter’s care and meds etc when she is in hospital and recovering. A lot of it will fall on my mother’s shoulders as she lives very close and is retired so able to help. But this is also a bit of a worry for me as she is 72 years old and a cancer survivor (twice!) herself too who currently has an injury due to bone density problems. I want to try and make sure she doesn’t take on too much. The difficulty is I work full time in a not very flexible job (teacher) and have the girls to think about too. I’m just going to have to get over there evenings and weekends as much as possible and maybe ask school about using planning time to help for a couple of weeks too.

Food wise yesterday was a bit of a disaster. But I’m at peace with that! Today I feel very conscious that I need to be in good health, to help my sister but also looking ahead to my own future as I’m fairly convinced now that I should opt for the preventative surgery myself. That means that I absolutely must work on getting more balanced in maintenance. No more extremes - over exercising or restricting or bingeing. Just health rather than numbers driven.

Tuesday goals recap
    - morning workout ✅
    - Leave early to take kids to my parents ✅
    - Hospital at 12 ✅
    - If all is ok, the girls may sleep over at my parents so I can see the bf. But that will depend entirely on how my sis is doing. ❎ He was really supportive when I spoke to him. I may not see him much but he is def there when I need him.

Wednesday goals
    - morning workout
    - April to August challenges - focus on water and emotional eating
    - School shoe shopping for the girls
    - Online grocery shop?
    - Email a couple of colleagues with heads up re sister
    - Sort out weekend plans for girls with their dad/his parents
    - Early night
  • maryrobinson40
    Options
    I've been having a difficult time logging in...
    I'm going to have to uninstall and reinstall this app...I'll have to search for you all if I get this up and running again...
    Just try to remember that you are totally loved by me. I respect and appreciate each one of you dear ladies and my heart is with you always.💜💜💜💜💜💜💜
    Had to confess all of those truths before I uninstall.... Well, here goes🙏😍🌹
  • bookmeister86
    bookmeister86 Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options
    Yesterday was a surprisingly good day! Turns out not drinking alcohol is pretty good for my goals.. and what's amazing is how many extra calories you have when you don't drink!!! Mind blown...

Yesterday's commitments:

- Log everything I eat including whatever I choose for dinner (log it on train home) :smile:
    - Stick to food plan :smile:
    - Make a sensible choice at dinner - one course only, within calorie limits :smile: I actually ordered two courses because the first was TINY, I was unimpressed. But I ordered lemon sorbet for dessert which is pretty light and overall I think I was within the calories I'd allowed
    - Eat slowly and mindfully :neutral: To some extent, though got distracted by conversation which prevented this a bit
    - 4 bottles water :smile:
    - Run to work :smile:
    - 45 minute lunch break :smile:
    - Meditate :smile:
    - Duolingo :smile:
    - Leave work by 6.30pm :smiley: Actually left by 5pm - all my colleagues wanted to go pub to b&tch about the new CEO (who visited yesterday and seems like an idiot). It was lovely :D
    - Train home by 10.15 LATEST :smile:

Today's commitments:

- Log everything I eat
    - Stick to food plan
    - Eat slowly and mindfully
    - Be in the green
    - 4 bottles water
    - Do exercise DVD

- 30 minute lunch break (not counting DVD)
    - Meditate
    - Duolingo & French book
    - Finish work at 7.30pm LATEST
    - Plan outfit (including nail polish) for wedding at weekend
    - Work out travel plan for Friday
    - Lights out by 10.45
  • bookmeister86
    Options
    Bex953172 wrote: »
    Monday
    - 8 glasses of water❎
    - Be in the green❎
    - Exercise❎
    - Tidy the mess as soon as I've made it✔️
    - Go to library❎

Challenges
    Apr: Water❎
    May: 15min Outside❎
    Jun: Mindful Eating❎
    Jul: Pre-logging❎
    Aug: Close Kitchen 9pm.❎

Let's just say I had a Gollum moment LOL @slittlemeister

Lol... I like this phrase, maybe it'll catch on...

I have learned that for me, not drinking makes good Sarah stronger and naughty Sarah quieter. What do you think does that for you?
  • bookmeister86
    Options
    mytime6630 wrote: »

I think stories like those are what makes me want to stop weekday drinking. I think my drinking is in control at the moment. But I know lots of people think that and then it gets out of control, and I don't want that to happen to me!

My biggest hobby is reading, but that's actually quite difficult to do on my commute home when I'm already a bit wound up, as it's hard to focus attention on something when your mind is going all over the place.

I'm starting to think that hobbies or activities which occupy your hands/ body are probably best, in that they give you something to do/focus on while your mind is active, without requiring you to concentrate THAT hard.

I'm really not a crafty person, but I do like drawing. And also like:

- Listening to music
    - Playing music
    - Writing
    - Cooking, when I have enough energy...

Wondering if I can incorporate some of these into my commute/early evening in some way... Will give this some thought!

Wine is my hubbys biggest downfall. We both eat so healthy all day... and then he probably has 3-4 glasses of wine every nite. He listens to music every nite, and somehow, a glass of wine goes perfect with sitting and listening to music. He knows he should not have this much, but he is having a hard time with finding a substuite. I tend to eat ... that is my drink of choice!
    Do you like to knit or do something that you can do even when you are tired? I sew on my machine, but I really want to learn to knit.. you know .. something to do when I am too tired to set at a machine.
    I would love to know how to write .... something like this would keep your mind and your hands busy!

I have never particularly liked knitting :smile: I attempted to make a scarf for my teddy when I was a child but whilst I quite enjoyed doing lots of rows, I was too lazy to learn how to finish it... Poor Teddy had to continue with a cold neck!

I haven't actually written for a very long time. I used to want to write a book and kept on coming up with ideas and starting them, but somehow never managed to finish them... Sometimes I wonder if I actually like writing or if I just like the idea of having written something! Might be worth experimenting with this though.

I think music is probably a good shout for me. It used to be such a big part of my life (I was in orchestras for several years) and now I hardly do it at all. I think I am going to:
    - Actually get round to putting my favourite music on my phone to listen to on my commute
    - Potentially buy an electronic piano. I have been thinking about doing this for a while, but put it off because I thought it was a faff given we might move and they are not easy to move. But maybe I should just do it - I think it would bring me a lot of joy

I literally LOL at your poor teddy's cold neck. I am like you I never learned how to finish something I started in knitting. As a matter of fact I thought last winter I would try again and have this little scarf all ready to be finished off and yet it sits, collecting dust.

I learned a valuable lesson one time about putting things off. A friend had bought me a candle that had a little charm or trinket in it that would reveal itself as the candle burned down. The candle itself was very pretty, so I never wanted to burn it. I kept saving it for the "perfect time", well we had a house fire and my candle got destroyed without me ever seeing what the treasure was.

The moral of the story is: Don't put off what makes you happy. Life goes by so fast and you need to do what you can to have the simple pleasures whenever possible. As you get older the days and evenings of playing your piano will mean more to you than the one day frustration of having to move it down the road.

That's a good moral. Ok, I'll buy a piano :smile:

Worst comes to worst, if I actually can't get it out of my flat again (which is unlikely), I can take out some anger by chopping it into lots of tiny pieces...

(I did that with a bed when my ex-flatmate went AWOL when we were moving out and I had to get rid of all of her stuff. It was amazingly therapeutic!)
  • bookmeister86
    Options
    Morning everyone. Thank you all for your kind words. My sister is ok - she said she somehow knew it was going to be bad news so was mentally prepared. But we have a difficult path ahead.

Trying to work out the logistics of helping her with her children/the school run/ managing her daughter’s care and meds etc when she is in hospital and recovering. A lot of it will fall on my mother’s shoulders as she lives very close and is retired so able to help. But this is also a bit of a worry for me as she is 72 years old and a cancer survivor (twice!) herself too who currently has an injury due to bone density problems. I want to try and make sure she doesn’t take on too much. The difficulty is I work full time in a not very flexible job (teacher) and have the girls to think about too. I’m just going to have to get over there evenings and weekends as much as possible and maybe ask school about using planning time to help for a couple of weeks too.

Food wise yesterday was a bit of a disaster. But I’m at peace with that! Today I feel very conscious that I need to be in good health, to help my sister but also looking ahead to my own future as I’m fairly convinced now that I should opt for the preventative surgery myself. That means that I absolutely must work on getting more balanced in maintenance. No more extremes - over exercising or restricting or bingeing. Just health rather than numbers driven.

Tuesday goals recap
    - morning workout ✅
    - Leave early to take kids to my parents ✅
    - Hospital at 12 ✅
    - If all is ok, the girls may sleep over at my parents so I can see the bf. But that will depend entirely on how my sis is doing. ❎ He was really supportive when I spoke to him. I may not see him much but he is def there when I need him.

Wednesday goals
    - morning workout
    - April to August challenges - focus on water and emotional eating
    - School shoe shopping for the girls
    - Online grocery shop?
    - Email a couple of colleagues with heads up re sister
    - Sort out weekend plans for girls with their dad/his parents
    - Early night

I'm really sorry to hear about your sister, it must be so upsetting and scary to go through this. As others have said, whilst it's terrible news, at least it has been caught when it's not invasive. I am crossing all of my fingers and toes (well actually, not my toes - I don't think that's possible) that everything goes ok.

It sounds like managing things may be challenging. Are there others that you can ask to help you - friends maybe? Your boyfriend? Or can any of your nice colleagues help you out with the odd thing? I often fall into the trap of assuming that nobody can do my work as I'm the one who knows all about it, but there is often the odd thing that others can pick up and people are often surprisingly willing to help.

I think you are right to not focus on goals right now, definitely take it easy and focus on taking care of yourself and your family. But also agree that it's important to look after your health. I have been thinking quite a lot lately about how we (humans) tend to take health for granted when we have it. Try to eat good things, do some exercise and get plenty of sleep without pushing yourself too hard :smile:

Thinking of you throughout all this x
  • nickssweetheart
    nickssweetheart Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    Today...was a day. I overslept and was late for my doctor appointment, treated myself to lunch out (just soup and salad at Olive Garden, no big calorie spend right? except I went wild on breadsticks...) then was too full, didn't accomplish all the crap I had to get done today and fell asleep while cooking dinner and am lucky I didn't set the house on fire.

@Faebert, I am once again impressed by your grace and strength.
  • Bex953172
    Bex953172 Posts: 4,073 Member
    Options
    Bex953172 wrote: »
    Monday
    - 8 glasses of water❎
    - Be in the green❎
    - Exercise❎
    - Tidy the mess as soon as I've made it✔️
    - Go to library❎

Challenges
    Apr: Water❎
    May: 15min Outside❎
    Jun: Mindful Eating❎
    Jul: Pre-logging❎
    Aug: Close Kitchen 9pm.❎

Let's just say I had a Gollum moment LOL @slittlemeister

Lol... I like this phrase, maybe it'll catch on...

I have learned that for me, not drinking makes good Sarah stronger and naughty Sarah quieter. What do you think does that for you?

Not having kids? Hahahah
    I dunno I think my partner is a bad influence, he always offers but it's down to me to say no!
    We've been getting on even better than ever so I love it when we share treats lol the scale however does not!