WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR SEPTEMBER 2018

Options

Replies

• grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,707 Member
    Options
    Morning ladies~
    I was up at 4:45 this morning, so got up and made ambrosia ( did your mom or grandma make it) going to my cousins this afternoon so bringing that...my girlfriend said something last night that slapped me right upside the head.. so when there is something major going on and my SIL needs someone to watch her mom ,I have helped... stayed overnight etc.... when I was doing that and still married to Tom.. that is when he was out messing around on me.. but my friend Patty said that she loves me like a sister and that Jean(SIL) didn't lift a finger to help Don Williams(dad) without strings attached.. that was truer than true..
    the only reason I would help is because of my brother... other than my children He is all I have left for close family...
    Lisa~ youch that knee.. yikes... I have tripped over gates for the dog and landed on my knees, about 15 yrs ago...fell over one and did nerve damage under left one... so far so good...
    I am hoping Sean(DB) is feeling better and will be able to go down to our cousins today..
  • kymarai
    kymarai Posts: 3,607 Member
    Options
    Lesley- Welcome and stay in touch! There is so much support in this group. It is such a varied group. Older, younger, maintenance, needing to lose lots, needing to lose little, married, divorced, single. All of us are willing to offer advice, answer questions, and give (((hugs))). There is rarely someone not available in a short time since we are all over the world! Only you can do the work, but you are not alone! As someone said, You eat an elephant one bite at a time!

HeatherUK- Wonderful and easy to do advice. I have watched friends "diet" all the latest fads and pills. They don't work. Doing it by life changes with lots of support is the only way to live life and reach your goals. I was within 2 pounds of my goal when I quit paying attention and slipped back into old habits. The upside is I only gained back 18 pounds before I said enough, not over 30. My husband supports my efforts most of the time. Sometimes he isn't as understanding, like last night, when I really didn't want ice cream. It just didn't sound good. At those times when I don't get that support, I log on here. You ladies are awesome!!!!!

NYKaren- I understand the training and almost prefer it online, but yes it can be boring. I love your idea of doing activities at the same time. I have the same type of training I have to do every quarter. Great job!

Time to finish a few things up, get to Kohl's, and get on the road.

Have a successful day! The best YOU can do today!

<3
    Kylia
  • cookiecat90
    cookiecat90 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    HI everyone - thank you for the kind welcomes.
    Sorry I can't respond to everyone individually - but I love all the support and comaraderie.
    I'm just popping into the thread briefly but I'll make sure I check in more often :)
    Lesley, I'm in NSW - couple of hours from Canberra.
  • kymarai
    kymarai Posts: 3,607 Member
    Options
    Allie- I have even made Ambrosia. I love it, but my family doesn't. My grandmother and mom use to make it. You have such a full plate, still so connected. Watch those string and make the best decision for YOU!
    <3
  • KJLaMore
    KJLaMore Posts: 2,830 Member
    Options
    Good morning all! Happy Monday! Happy Labor Day to the rest of the U.S. ladies (I think we are the only ones who celebrate it on this day? or at all?) I woke up at 5:30 this morning, but didn't roll out of bed until 6. I laid in bed listening to my son, Colin work on rehanging my cupboard doors. This has been on HIS to- do list for a couple of weeks and I gave him today as the deadline. Needless to say, the cussing I heard at 5:30 this morning was pretty amusing. lol Not as easy as he thought it was going to be! Yesterday I got the wainscotting, trim, and hardware needed to turn my larger closet into a coat/backpack closet for the kiddos. Today I will be putting that together and doing the painting. I will be looking on our local marketplace and garage sale sites for a storage bench to put in there for the kids to sit on while they dress/undress. For now, I will just put my piano bench in there for them to sit on.
    Yesterday I mowed the lawn. I used the push mower (even though we have brother in law's rider) because I need the work out and had the time. Needless to say, it was a sunny hot day and I got over heated. THEN I ran over a little mousie! :( As much as I just wanted to leave the "parts" where they lay; I knew that the kids would find them and would most likely pick them up (they are that gross, sometimes). So, I went though my yard like I was on some kind of twisted easter egg hunt looking for mousie body parts! Blech! I threw him away, finished the lawn, went in the house and showered, ate some dinner and drank about 60 ounces of water through out the rest of the day, trying to stave off the headache that I could feel niggling on the edges of my brain. I watched a couple of episodes of House and fell asleep.
    NY Karen- Ugh! Mandatory trainings are a chore! You took your training the same way I take many of mine. Most of them are common sense to most people, so I listen and do other work, then take the quiz. Just like you. Hope you enjoy your day with hubby!
    Elizabeth- Pippin is adorable! What kind of dog is he? As an adult, I haven't had a dog; but many years ago I dog sat for one of my daycare families and I remember having to spray nearly EVERYTHING with that bitter apple spray because their dog (still a puppy) would chew EVERYTHING!
    Lisa- Oh my friend! I agree your knee looks better; but it still looks pretty painful! Take it easy! Now that it is vulnerable, it would be very easy to strain or injure it further! TAKE IT EASY!! Like Kylia said, time to supervise from the sidelines!
    Lesley- Welcome! Great advice from Heather! I started a few years back on mfp at 245 lbs. I have been up and down the scale. Your mindset is going to be your greatest asset or your biggest adversary. YOU CAN DO THIS! You are stronger than you think. Baby steps!

Well, better get off my kiester and get busy! Time marches on! love and hugs to all! ttfn xoxoxo KJ (Kelly)
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    Cream Soda <3

Pippin. <3

((Lisa))

Karen in Virginia
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,885 Member
    Options
    KJLaMore wrote: »
    Good morning all! Happy Monday! Happy Labor Day to the rest of the U.S. ladies (I think we are the only ones who celebrate it on this day? or at all?)

About Labour Day ...

"For most countries, Labour Day is synonymous with, or linked with, International Workers' Day, which occurs on 1 May. For other countries, Labour Day is celebrated on a different date, often one with special significance for the labour movement in that country."

And ...
    "In Canada and the United States, the holiday is celebrated on the first Monday of September and considered the unofficial end of summer, with summer vacations ending and students returning to school around then."

And ...
    "In Victoria and Tasmania, it is the second Monday in March (though the latter calls it Eight Hours Day)."

Read more here ... :)
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Labour_Day

Machka in Oz

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,552 Member
    Options
    Actually, was very pleasantly surprised this morning... Iced my knee all evening (on 15 minutes, off 15 minutes), kept it up during and after dinner, then propped my knees over pillows last night, took anti-inflammatories, and taped it with FlexTape before bed... The left one was taken about three hours after the fall--and the right one is this morning. Seriously. I would have bet last night when I went to bed that I wouldn't be able to set weight on it at ALL this morning, and it's honestly just a little bit ouchier than usual. Am incredibly fortunate. Could have been so much worse.

8epkdqkuo3je.jpg

Love y'all,
    Lisa

ouch
  • Machka9
    Options
    About seasons ... :)

Australia (or actually more specifically, roughly the southern 2/3 or so of Australia) celebrates the meteorological spring rather than the astronomical spring. I think the northern 1/3 or so is tropical enough that they have a different seasonal pattern, like rainy season, etc.

https://www.timeanddate.com/calendar/aboutseasons.html

The astronomical definition uses the dates of equinoxes and solstices to mark the beginning and end of the seasons ... places like Canada and the US follow astronomical seasons.

The meteorological seasons in the Southern Hemisphere are opposite to those in the Northern Hemisphere:

Spring starts September 1 and ends November 30;
    Summer starts December 1 and ends February 28 (February 29 in a Leap Year);
    Fall (autumn) starts March 1 and ends May 31; and
    Winter starts June 1 and ends August 31.

And ... the new school year down here starts in late January/early February. Different states have different start dates.

Machka in Oz
  • okiewoman510
    okiewoman510 Posts: 1,288 Member
    Options
    Good morning Ladies!

Lisa - Ouch! Glad it is better this morning and not worse. I did the same thing in my closet a couple of years ago. I normally use a step stool that is only one step up but was completely redoing the top shelf so I was using a two step ladder that day. I stepped off like I always did and of course it was too big of a step. I was able to catch myself on clothes and didn't go all the way down.

Barbie - Yeah for continued healing, even if it is a tiny bit at a time.

Kylia - Happy Vacation!!!

Not a lot planned today. We may actually do NOTHING all day. They are promising rain, my fingers are crossed.

Hubs charcoaled yesterday and I had him throw on a chicken boob. We are having it today for lunch with roasted chicken gravy over cauliflower rice with a side of broccoli. I am so excited. After two weeks of eating bland for my heartburn, I am beyond bored with food and ready for some exciting food to be mixed in!

Welcome to the newbies. Hugs to those that need them, congrats to those with victories.

Have a great day/evening Ladies,
    Okie in the TX Hill Country
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,054 Member
    Options
    I don't like cool whip so ambrosia salad is out for me. I feel the same way about jello too. When I go to buffets it is easy for me to skip those kind of salads.

Lisa looks painful. Glad it improved so much overnight. Healing thoughts.

:heart: Margaret
  • Machka9
    Options
    klanders30 wrote: »
    Yesterday I set out to complete a 2.5 hour mandatory training course via computer. It was onerous, with a boring speaker, had to constantly click to next slide, and take quizzes. My colleagues warned me how horrible it was gonna be, basically work place safety, harrassment, code of ethics training.

We have to do a heap of these sorts of things each year where I work. I've done several, and still have 2 more to go before the end of the year (I think ... I should probably check).

Some are better than others.

One recently went through the presentation so vaguely and briefly online, then asked detailed questions which we were expected to find in a large pdf document. Thank goodness for the search feature!

I usually do them on a Friday afternoon when I don't really want to start a project or get into a project.

Machka in Oz

• Machka9
    Options
    Actually, was very pleasantly surprised this morning... Iced my knee all evening (on 15 minutes, off 15 minutes), kept it up during and after dinner, then propped my knees over pillows last night, took anti-inflammatories, and taped it with FlexTape before bed... The left one was taken about three hours after the fall--and the right one is this morning. Seriously. I would have bet last night when I went to bed that I wouldn't be able to set weight on it at ALL this morning, and it's honestly just a little bit ouchier than usual. Am incredibly fortunate. Could have been so much worse.

8epkdqkuo3je.jpg

Love y'all,
    Lisa

So sorry ... looks awful!
  • ljdw99
    ljdw99 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    :)
  • 1948Peachy
    1948Peachy Posts: 1,511 Member
    Options
    (((Lisa)))

Pippin ~ Such a cute fur baby!

Question: Have any of you ever used CBD oil? There was a segment on the news about it and I have looked it up online. Seems to be some kind of miracle for many people with anxiety and sleep problems. Would like to know if it works.

We are staying in today! Over the week end there were massive numbers of people visiting Atlanta for various events. Next year, the Super Bowl will be here. They are already ramping up for it. It is best to stay off the roads at times like this.

Carol in Ga
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,707 Member
    Options
    morning again~
    today was a good day for DFIL ,he was cracking himself up .. and making us laugh in the process.
    SIL texting me ,saying why are your down there ,why are you feeding him, you know dementia and Alzhiemers is different, how does he recognize you with dementia.... I don't need to listen to her 20 questions or answer her..
    she trained as a CNA and says its there job to take care of them down there... yes I know that and they have there hands full. he does much better when one or both of us is there.. Gosh she is unnerving sometimes UGH...
    going to be a hot one today... told her I was leaving at noon and she checked the directions and said well it will only take 37 minutes... I mean really.. she argues with everything... ok ok enough of my yapping away...will check in when I get home
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Elizabeth in GA: What a cute puppy!!!!! I hope you have a long, happy time together. :star:

Barbie: I am glad that you are feeling a bit better.:star:

Lisa: Sorry about the fall and landing on your poor knee. RICE is a good strategy. I’m glad that things improved overnight! :flowerforyou:

Pip: “Cuddling with father”—Does this make Kirby Doggy Daddy? :wink:

Lesley: Welcome! :flowerforyou:

Machka: Happy Spring! :smiley:

I hope to go to yoga today. It seems like I’ve been away for ages and it does wonders for me.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon
  • Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,741 Member
    Options
    KJLaMore wrote: »
    Good morning all! Happy Monday! Happy Labor Day to the rest of the U.S. ladies (I think we are the only ones who celebrate it on this day? or at all?) b]

We are celebrating Labour Day here in Canada today too.

• auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options

Heather "Devil's spawn" Pls thank your DH for me, I needed to start my day with that laugh bursting out! Googling Torres Natureo, the Syrah sounds yummy but haven't found it stateside... yet!
    Jenny bech, you will learn that some of our most physically active gals are well into their 60s... and beyond :)
    Machka your DH's "third ride outside" seems like a miracle to me ;)
    Kylia I hear ya about older dogs and shampooing carpets. Kinda wanted to replace our wall to wall with vinyl plank but another old dog issue is that he struggles to rise/get purchase on anything but carpet.
    Elizabeth :love: :love: :love: Pippin! As you walk Pippin your legs will strengthen and cardio will improve. Hope he brings you both much joy!
    Barbie thanks for letting us know you're feeling a bit better. So glad you're pain is abating without those doggoned pain meds and their even worse side effects. We're with you.
    Lisa Amazed at your knee's recovery. The rigorous icing schedule really worked. Whew!
    Lesley in NSW heart goes out to you, know how devastating it is to say goodbye to beloved dog. ditto everything Heather said. You have come to the right place for encouragement, wisdom, caring. Heather's especially right about exercise and not trying to do everything at once, its overwhelming! My "slow medicine" Dr first had me log everything for 3 weeks without changing anything I ate but start taking an exercise class (for me it's Line Dancing and T'ai Chi). Then reduce total daily cals by 15-20%. After a month or two it was add at least a cup of raw vegs/day. Another month or two and it was reduce beer/wine to one a week. Now it's aim for 60 g protein/day. The weight loss is s l o o w (1lb per MONTH) but Dr. is pleased that the trend is down every visit. You will find a plan that works for you. We're with you!
    Allie Sheesh, what a nuisance! Can you imagine your SIL as an annoying but somehow lovable yappy dog, and let her constant nattering just roll off?

Oops too long here, now quick brush and dress, Joe is taking Tumble and me to the beach!

Lighter, lovelies!
    f8qt1s098sxm.gifBarbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD.
    60 g protein 2/2, vits 2/2, meditate 2/2, walk one more step 2/2, knee exercises 2/2, core 0/4, walk Tumble 0/4 times, SWSY 0/2, hang up or purge art 2!, AF 2/2,
  • Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,741 Member
    Options
    Lisa. That looks painful!

Heather - great advice for Lesley

Hello to all! I didn’t take notes and I know I should be.

I finished cleaning and organizing my craft room this morning. It’s now in a state I feel I will use it again. I have asked for a small tv for my birthday, I hope someone listens to me. I like the background noise while I’m crafting away!

I will be doing laundry at some point today, i am still using a laundromat unfortunately so I have to plan it. Can’t just throw in s load and keep going.

Have a great Monday all!
    Tracey enjoying an extra day off in Edmonton