September 2018 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• missevil
    missevil Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    MobyCarp wrote: »
    Long story short, the concept of slowing way down for easy runs is good. Finding the actual pace you should slow down to is more of an art than a science.

Thank you for your answer. So this is definitely not something I have to consider yet while trying to build up a basic endurance/form. But good to know that there is something to it and I can keep it in mind for some point later in my career.

• missevil
    missevil Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    kevaasen wrote: »
    I'm a big fan of https://www.mcmillanrunning.com/ and their Running Calculator for determining various training pace ranges. Very simple to use. You enter in your goal time for an upcoming race, current fitness time/distance and then hit calculate. It provides a series of pace estimates for races and their is another link that provides training paces for runs based on easy, long, interval, tempo, etc so you can go more by pace (you can ignore HR info provided and just go by feel). As your running/fitness improves (or in my case since I have had an injury I have a fitness decline), you update the data to start making the next round of improvements.

Thanks for the link. It looks a bit confusing at the first glance but I'll check it out as soon as I have a bit time. I guess I'm way too new to actually think too much about speed and longer distances yet. I still need to get the basics done. I only was surprised by the article today and intrigued whether or not that is common knowledge or some niche guru with some odd ideas ;)

• workaholic_nurse
    workaholic_nurse Posts: 727 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options

@zdyb23456 I plan my regular long run route to pass a gas station with a walk-in beer cooler. Not for the beer - lol. For the amazing experience of stepping in a frozen walk-in beer cooler when you have been running a million miles in the billion degree heat.

Mine would be for both :D:D:D>:)
  • FancyPantsFran
    FancyPantsFran Posts: 3,687 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options

exercise.png

• FancyPantsFran
    FancyPantsFran Posts: 3,687 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    goal 20

today total 4.55

• joannedrummond5
    joannedrummond5 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    September 1 - rest day
    September 2 - 13 km Club Run
    September 3 - 23 km run
    September 4 - 23 km run
    September 5 - rest day
    September 6 - 10 km Hill Repeats
    September 7 - 14 km run
    September 8 -
    September 9 -
    September 10 -
    September 11 -
    September 12 -
    September 13 - Rest Day
    September 14 - Rest Day
    September 15 - Rest Day
    September 16 -City To Bay Half
    Marathon
    September 17 - Holidays

83 km / goal 140 km.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    @Elise4270 Sorry. I can relate a little. I was excommunicated once I left the "religion" at 17; I am effectively an orphan. I have had to learn everything the hard way. It's weird how some parents don't want their children to better them. Glad you found a way to go all on your own!

My son will be the first person in my family to graduate from university (knock on wood; he's starting his fourth year). My parents had grade-eight educations. I imagine their religion didn't like education because it was ignorance that kept people around.

I had a friend I always had to help with math, and she often talked about university. I didn't understand how she would possibly be "selected." It's funny to look back at now. My life would have been quite different if only we'd had Google!

Absolutely. If we'd only have known!