September 2018 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    @MegaMooseEsq I am definitely a sweater and Vegas in November could still be warmish. I am thinking more sticks that I can wear army neck or something. I dunno. Might be annoying for more than a few miles. 😂
  • RunsOnEspresso
    Options
    While at the bdacks game the other night one of the players wife told us about a virtual 5k that helps single parents with a child that has cancer. It looks like an AZ charity but I thought I'd share the link here. It's only $29 and you get both a tshirt and medal. I was planning to sign up.

https://www.thesingletonsaz.org/your-way-virtual-5-k-registration/
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    Options
    @MegaMooseEsq I am definitely a sweater and Vegas in November could still be warmish. I am thinking more sticks that I can wear army neck or something. I dunno. Might be annoying for more than a few miles. 😂

They gave out those twisty stick/necklaces at the night race but I found them much too annoying to run in. That's why the paint seemed like a good alternative.
  • RunsOnEspresso
    Options
    @elise4270 I had to laugh at the Fitzgerald racing weight. Off to look at this calculator and get a good chuckle!
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    @elise4270 I had to laugh at the Fitzgerald racing weight. Off to look at this calculator and get a good chuckle!

If i weighed that, I'd have to shop in the little boys section for pants. I already have no booty!
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options

Jeeze says I need to drop over 30 pounds... yeah, not happening! :lol:
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    garygse wrote: »
    @Elise4270 Shorter would honestly seem counter-intuitive (to me), given that height usually means longer legs...but then again, Eliud Kipchoge is 5'7" and look at that guy fly!

Desi Linden is 5'1" and a whopping 97lbs.
    Deena Kastor is 5'4" and 105.

Just a quick Google search yeilds.

Top 10 Men For 2005
    1) Jaoud Gharib (MOROCCO) 5'9.25"/146 lbs.
    2) Martin Lel (Kenya) 5'7.25" /119 lbs.
    3) Haile Gebrselassie (Ethiopia) 5'4.5" / 117 lbs.
    4) Jimmy Muindi (Kenya) 5'7.25" / 137 lbs
    5) Felix Limo (Kenya) 5'8.5" / 128 lbs
    6) Philip Manyim (Kenya) 5'8.75" / 141 lbs.
    7) Jackson Koech (Kenya) 5'8" / 121 lbs
    8) Hendrick Ramaala (South Africa) 5'6" / 132 lbs
    9) Paul Tergat (Kenya) 6'0" / 134 lbs
    10) Christopher Isegwe (Tanzania) 5'6" / 123 lbs

I think the take away, Is more their weight. They are lean lean lean. Em! Jerky lean!

Here's a for "fun" link to find your elite weight. Let me just say, if you thought your Fitzgerald Racing Weight was beyond reached well out of high school.... Yikes! (Well now i just have to go fix a bacon pancake.. oink).

https://runbundle.com/tools/stillman-weight-calculator

*Not endorsing unrealistic weight goals* We are runners, not elite athletes.

ETA Gary IDK whose correct but i did find this on kipchoge. I swore he was taller. Wikipedia says 5'6"..

Full name: Eliud Kipchoge
    Height: 5-5.5 (167 cm)
    Weight: 126 lbs (57 kg)
    Born: November 5, 1984 (Age 33.309, YY.DDD) in Kapsisiywa, Nandi, Kenya
    Sport: Athletics

That chart forgot to include a category for elite fat runners. :smiley:

It makes sense to me that there'd be a point where height becomes more of a mechanical disadvantage for running than an advantage. But of course, there are always exceptions! Related, has anyone figured out what they've been putting in the water in Kenya?