September 2018 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• MarylanderX
    MarylanderX Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Wonder how much I need to age up to negate the 30 pounds it wants me to lose? :lol:

The book says, in regards to body fat percentage, "Most endurance athletes, including beginners, are genetically capable of reaching at least the 80th percentile for their gender and age group." So, he has folks in the middle range of starting body fat percentage shooting for that 80th percentile. For a 40-49 year old male (which I am at the very tip top of, turning 50 in Feb) he would have me shoot for 16.3% body fat, which should be fairly easily doable for me (in fact my current goal would have me going lower than that so he is pretty conservative). He doesn't have you shooting for a specific body weight but, rather, for specific levels of body fat.

The book also doesn't try to squeeze you into a one size fits all thing. The basic premise is replace junk with better food and let your body find it's own 'racing weight'. How clean you eat has an impact on where you end up. He doesn't push everyone to go for 'elite' so he's not directing you to maximize how clean you eat.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    @PastorVincent - wow - that is a lot of flooding! I didn't realize Pittsburgh had received that much rain!

NPR reported that Sunday was the second rainiest day ever for the city. :)
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »

I'm really glad I'm 2 inches taller! Haha! Looking at that just makes me hungry. I'll stick to a Racing Weight goal :wink: er, just getting one foot in front of the other consistently!

that is much more reasonable and is my goal. another 12lbs.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    I want music.

I dont want to use my phone.
    I want satellite or like iheart radio
    I want something small. Wireless, not a must.
    I dont want an apple product, if i can avoid one.

Please help. What am I looking for?

The Garmin 635 can store mp3s (music, podcasts, etc) to play. But it is $450 on Amazon. I do not know of any that will play iHeart Radio/etc without a phone as those need internet service.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    Re: the Stillman calculator. My goal weight, 137, would put me at sprinter. I've been all the weights on that chart at one time or another and was not very healthy at long-distance weight - I used to faint if I skipped breakfast when I weighed 119 lbs, and got colds all the time. I was also visibly bony at that weight.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    @MegaMooseEsq I am definitely a sweater and Vegas in November could still be warmish. I am thinking more sticks that I can wear army neck or something. I dunno. Might be annoying for more than a few miles. 😂

They gave out those twisty stick/necklaces at the night race but I found them much too annoying to run in. That's why the paint seemed like a good alternative.

When I ran my night race back in December I braided three glow necklaces together and wore them on my head, because the bouncing on my chest when I wore them as necklaces was annoying. They didn't bounce on my head.
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    mbaker566 wrote: »

I'm really glad I'm 2 inches taller! Haha! Looking at that just makes me hungry. I'll stick to a Racing Weight goal :wink: er, just getting one foot in front of the other consistently!

that is much more reasonable and is my goal. another 12lbs.

I'm an inch shorter than you, @mbaker566 and right around the same weight at the moment. I'd like to lose another 20 pounds or so to get down to a "normal" BMI and then decide whether that's sustainable for me. Forget about this sub-115 lbs noise! That said, if I never lost another pound I think I'd be happy - I don't think I've ever looked this good even when I was at my lowest weight - thank you weight lifting!
    I want music.

The Garmin 635 can store mp3s (music, podcasts, etc) to play. But it is $450 on Amazon. I do not know of any that will play iHeart Radio/etc without a phone as those need internet service.

The limited music capacity surprised me when I was looking at Garmins the last couple of days. I genuinely like not running with a phone and still having access to a decent music library. I'm getting why you've said it's very individual.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    I want music.

I have a Garmin though.. so i wont be buying a new one.