WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR SEPTEMBER 2018

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,804 Member
    Katla49 wrote: »
    Machka: The snake in the toilet would scare at least a decade off of me. How could it get in there? :huh: I’m so glad it wasn’t your house! :bigsmile:

They come up the drain pipes. It doesn't happen frequently, but it can happen.

More frequently, you'll find snakes in long grass or out on the road sunning themselves. Just about every year, there are one or two found in the long grass next to our beach. And one reason to keep a property well groomed is to reduce the possibility that there will be a snake in your yard.

We have three types of snakes in Tasmania - copperhead (like the one in the toilet), tiger snakes, and white-lipped snakes. All are poisonous.

The tiger snakes are the biggest - they can get up to nearly 2 metres.

I don't think I've seen a live snake in Tasmania (a few flattened on the road), but we used to see them when we lived in Victoria. I came home one day to our "Love Shack" in the bush and a black snake slithered across the "driveway" and under the house. I wasn't too impressed.

Machka in Oz

• 1948Peachy
    1948Peachy Posts: 1,511 Member
    edited September 2018
    I took the test twice. First time yesterday it said I was a Defender and then this AM it says I am an Advocate. :D:s:# So what's to know. All I can say is that I have always liked "helping" but have always been told I was too "Quiet". I find myself easily talking to total strangers but then clamming up around people in a group. I do better one on one. Get my feelings hurt easily. And, am very aware of the moods of others.

As Lisa said, I am more prone to opening up here to you ladies but have always been very guarded about my private life otherwise.

Carol in GA
  • okiewoman510
    okiewoman510 Posts: 1,286 Member
    Good morning Ladies -

Not a lot going on here. I set out yesterday to get the pygmy yard mowed before the predicted rain starts. We were supposed to have a big storm move over around 5 yesterday evening. I got the small yard mowed and the rain hadn't started so I just kept going. Got the balance of the front yard mowed, still no rain. Mowed the front part of the side yard, no rain. Mowed the back part of the side yard, still no rain. Mowed the back pasture to finish it off and no rain. I did get sprinkled on a couple of times, but it was like 12 raindrops so I kept going to see if it would get heavier and it didn't either time, it stopped. The neighbors were probably cracking up because I had on a dress. Since I just planned to do the small yard (that takes like 45 minutes) I just left on my casual dress, added a hat and jumped on the mower. Hubs will be surprised and delighted (and possibly a little annoyed) when he gets home tonight. He has had me on IR for the last couple of weeks so he has done the mowing, of course, he was also home for two weeks so that helped. With all the rain, all of the lot is green again, which is very uncommon for September. Normally the pasture (the un-irragated) part of the lot is dead by now. It is amazing how fast some rain will green it back up. With the greening up comes the johnson grass that has spriggly tall bits that drive me crazy. I can't stand to see those sprightly bits swaying in the wind.

To those in the path of the storm, stay safe! To those with victories, Woo Hoo! To those in need, hugs.

Okie in the TX Hill Country
  • Machka9
    edited September 2018
    1948Peachy wrote: »
    Tracey ~ Happy Birthday to you and your grandson!

Lanette ~ I was looking up INFP because I didn't know what it was and found this site. I took the personality test and was surprised at the results. https://www.16personalities.com/infp-personality I think you would find it very interesting.

Hoping all who visit here are having a blessed day!

Carol in GA

LOGISTICIAN (ISTJ-A)

85% introverted!

I'm actually surprised it is as low as that but I did answer a few questions with what I know I need to do to get things done more than what I'd like to do. For example, at uni, I'm in a group. So I know there are "social" things I need to do to get a good mark.

Also, this situation with my husband has pushed me WAY out of my comfort zone. For example, I've actually had to use the phone. <<shudder>> I hate using the phone. Yet, there I am now talking, and occasionally yelling, into the phone. That's just not me, but it is what has to be done.

I had a laugh at this:

Insight of the Day

"Logisticians are the least likely personality type to enjoy being approached by shop assistants while browsing."

Yep! Stay away from me! If I need help, I'll find you. Many times, I've turned around and walked out of a shop when I see one of them coming at me. And I've been a shop assistant!

Machka in Oz
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,318 Member
    Good morning all you Introverts - and Extroverts, we'll let you in. <3

I took the test provided by Carol's link and I was overwhelmingly INTJ. When done thru the actual MBTI testing materials, I'm pretty evenly divided on the E and I, just a hair into the Extrovert - this was 30 years ago with a retest 20 years ago. I could be quite comfortable in a room full of other similar types, but having to deal with a variety of types in a social setting - I'd escape as soon as possible. Other types are so unpredictable!

Plus, being a middle child, I tended to be a "ham" in order to get attention I suppose. If I could pull out of my shell and be a jokester, it gave me a place in the world since I didn't have oldest kid or youngest kid status.

We do tend to hang with our types, by the way. So maybe that's why many of us are drawn to this group, especially in the Introverted sector. We can pick and choose when we have time to participate and like Carol mentioned, how much we wish to share. We are pretty much kindred spirits. My DH is an INTJ and was a college instructor. Carol, Barbie, and several more of you Introverts in this group have/or had teaching careers . Lesson plans anyone? LOL!

Some of my favorite jobs included developing policies and procedures, planning - administrative support to Engineers who were likely INTJ's as well.

I also hate talking on the phone! Email has been a savior for us introverts.

New topic: The latest AARP magazine has an article about the new rules of nutrition for those of us approaching and into our 70's. Eat more protein is the advice - I have read this elsewhere. The article advocates eating 25 - 30 grams of protein at every meal. It says eating over 30 grams/meal is unwise as the body converts the excess it to fat and it can't utilize more than 30 grams at a time. There's no mention of impact of higher protein on the kidneys - I suspect eating more plant proteins such as beans, quinoa, etc. is better than eating more animal protein at every meal.

We need more protein to retain muscle mass in our later years. So I upped my protein macros to 90 grams a few days ago. I normally have a hard time even getting 50 so if I can eat at least 70 I'll be happy. In my case, eating lots more protein is a good way to control my appetite.

Heather
    - I can't wait to check out the "Trust me I'm a Doctor" by Mosley! Thank you for sharing that. Movement is always good - we don't have to gear up and go to the gym. I was surprised at the beneficial effect a simple 15 minute walk after supper has on my fasting blood sugar the next morning.

Have a good Friday everyone!

Lanette
    Cool SW WA State

• Machka9
    The typhoon is within 12 hours of landfall in the Philippines. It's not looking good so I'm hoping they're ready and that it won't be a repeat of a few years ago.

https://edition.cnn.com/2018/09/14/asia/typhoon-mangkhut-philippines-intl/index.html

"The Philippines is evacuating thousands of people, deploying soldiers and positioning emergency provisions as Super Typhoon Mangkhut threatens more than four million people in the north of the country.

Mangkhut -- stronger than Hurricane Florence, which is currently lashing the US East Coast -- is expected to make landfall on the Philippines island of Luzon island early on Saturday. Current wind speeds are up to 285 kilometers per hour (180 mph).

The massive storm, the equivalent of a Category 5 hurricane, has prompted alerts across east and southeast Asia. A second storm, Typhoon Barijat, has also hit the region."

Machka in Oz
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Karen in VA: I haven’t caught the weather news yet today, but we all have MFP friends in the Carolinas. I’m thinking particularly of Michele. I hope she is safe. :flowerforyou:

Barbara: I’m trying to picture where you live. Are you north or south of Coos Bay? :huh:

Barbie: Enjoy your new jeans. It has been a while since I bought any jeans, too. I have quite a few in my closet & rotate between them. New ones are something to think about. :wink:

Michele: I am so glad you’ve posted today. I’ve been hoping you are safe in the storm. :flowerforyou:

Penny: Congrats on your excellent oxygen uptake scores! WTG!!! :bigsmile:

Heather: It is good to hear that you are still able to visit your friend with cancer. She has been a real fighter all this time. :star:

Judi: Welcome to a great group! :flowerforyou:

I just completed the Braxton Riggs 16 personalities & got ISFP-A, Adventurer. It seems like a reasonable outcome for me. It said that I’m 43% extraverted and 57% introverted, also a reasonable description.

I have been away from home and away from yoga too long. I'm enjoying home & hope to get to yoga today.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,499 Member
    9zapxzrhhl6s.jpeg
    Pic from 9 yrs ago at the MS ride
  • 1948Peachy
    1948Peachy Posts: 1,511 Member
    Tis the season of pumpkins again! Am I the only one who just has absolutely no desire for pumpkin anything?

Carol in GA
  • okiewoman510
    okiewoman510 Posts: 1,286 Member
    Carol - I love pumpkin. Scones, bread, muffins, pop tarts ! Yum! I am contenting myself with pumpkin pie yogurt.

Okie.
  • Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,722 Member
    1948Peachy wrote: »
    Tis the season of pumpkins again! Am I the only one who just has absolutely no desire for pumpkin anything?

Carol in GA

I am right there with you! I like them as jack-o-lanterns only!
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,676 Member
    Took the test I'm the E lol Entertainer ..back from the Big E
    Over 11,000 steps.....I'm in bed with jammies on....
  • nataliew12
    nataliew12 Posts: 32 Member
    Hi just joined here and nice to meet others in the same age range. :D

What goals and resolutions do you have for September? My goals is to lose and feel better! More energy.
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Carol I only enjoy a slice of pumpkin pie on t-day. Don't know why there is such a fuss over pumpkinspice everything!

Looking forward to a peaceful weekend after a hectic week (wait I only worked 3 day this week?? :s:s )

NYKAREN