September 2018 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    JulieS3103 wrote: »
    @mbaker566 Thanks so much for the good luck, I appreciate it and I wish I was able to run it! I was really looking forward to it but my doctors said no way. After like 6 weeks of no running it looks like I will be cleared to do some easy run/walking next week and I'm crossing my fingers the back/hip pain doesn't come back. Working on my core/hips/glutes in PT so things are starting to look better.

oh boo. and it looks like they have a pretty strict deference and transfer policy
    that sucks. i might go cheer some people on
    at least this year is better than last year. last year was unexpectedly extremely warm and humid

• MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    Options
    MobyCarp wrote: »
    So, why do non-runners buy running shoes?

Before I was a runner, I bought running shoes to walk in because they were more comfortable than what was marketed as walking shoes. I was totally clueless about the distinction between types of running shoe, and later learned that buying whatever model of Asics is cheapest wasn't a good strategy for me to buy shoes to run in.

As a fairly new runner, I once had identical models shoes for running (red) and walking (socially muted grey). Now, I have a different model for walking than for running, though I would consider a pair of Kinvaras for walking/social wear if I found them in a muted, non-garish color.

But the examples you gave are just plain weird. I kind of get the nurse who is looking for a magic bullet, but how can someone not realize that cleats are a bad idea for hard surfaces?

My old Ghosts make great walking shoes, but I agree that those examples are pretty out there. My husband bought his first pair of “running shoes” last fall when I started running again and mostly only walks in them. That was definitely a case of being overly optimistic about running but realizing the shoes are still really comfy.
  • kevaasen
    kevaasen Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    zdyb23456 wrote: »
    9/1 16.7 miles
    9/2 rest
    9/3 5 miles treadmill
    9/4 9.21 miles
    9/5 rest
    9/6 10 miles
    9/7 14 miles
    9/8 4miles
    9/9 rest
    9/10 9.41 miles
    9/11 8miles
    9/12 5miles
    9/13 4miles
    9/14 20MILES!!!!!! <- I did it all on the TREADMILL!!!

So what do you do when you have a long run scheduled and you are stuck inside due to a tropical storm warning? Well, you lament that you are stuck inside and resign yourself to skipping it cause who in their right mind would ever run 20 miles on a dreadmill??!!

Well, I figured I had nothing else to do. I also knew I wouldn't be able to run the entire thing straight so I decided to break it up into segments. I did 8 miles, then 6 miles, then 4, then 2. It took me 4 hours and 50 minutes total with breaks between where I would drink water and change into dry running clothes and also feed my kids lunch :smile: I had a pouch of Honey Stingers after 14 miles and they didn't bother my stomach so that's good to know for future long runs.

Here it is! I went by the treadmill mileage since my Garmin in "indoor" mode doesn't seem as accurate. It wasn't too far off though!

ETA not sure why the image is so large - sorry about that!

142t142vsxv5.jpg

3/18/2018 Shamrock half marathon
    3/24/2018 Don't Sit on Colon Cancer 5K
    5/28/2018 Run to Remember 5K

10/7/2018 Crawlin Crab half marathon
    10/13/2018 Joggin for Frogmen 5K
    11/18/2018 Norfolk Harbor half marathon
    12/2/2018 Busch Gardens Christmas Town Dash 8K

To complete 20 miles is hard enough physically and mentally. 20 miles on a dreadmill.....even more of a mental challenge to overcome. Just incredible! Very well done!
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    hesn92 wrote: »
    I guess fitbits aren't very accurate for measuring distance? I can run the same route multiple times and get different distances. I mean they're pretty close but not exactly the same. 1.88 vs 1.73 for example.

I don't know about the models that use GPS, but the older fitbits estimated distance by step count and stride length. That was really, really inaccurate.

• shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,396 Member
    Options
    Slightly off topic, I picked up my packet for Saturday's 5k yesterday, at a local running store, and while I was waiting in line I eavesdropped on the sales associates.

So, why do non-runners buy running shoes? There were two customers in particular who were confusing to me. One was a male nurse who had somehow gotten the idea that expensive running shoes would be more supportive, I guess? He was asking how many shifts the shoes would stand up to before the padding started to break down, and the sales guy was saying, "Um... about three to six months..." and he was saying that wasn't as good as his regular nurse shoes. Um... duh? They make work shoes of various types for a reason. Not to mention that shoes shaped like a rocker are meant for running, and are not comfortable for just standing about. The other customer was an older lady whose friend had told her that Brooks were "good shoes" so she bought some, and now she was complaining they made her feet hurt. She had track shoes with cleats. She was using them mainly to go shopping. The bewildered sales associate was saying, "So, these are really intended for speedwork..."

I understand the cache of wearing gear for a sport you don't do as a fashion statement, but that's not what was happening here. Both these people were just determined to buy unsuitable shoes, and then complaining that the shoes weren't suited to something outside their intended specialty. And if you read online reviews of running shoes, you will find that the majority of running shoe purchasers are like this. My Altra Timps for example have reviews like "these sneakers didn't hold up too well and after a day at work they made my feet hurt." Sneakers? Where? Timps are not even slightly similar to sneakers. They are bizarrely ugly zero drop trail shoes, so unless you work at a national park they probably aren't suited to your work environment. If you want sneakers, you can get excellent supportive ones without spending the money for specialty running shoes. So what gives?

I have friends who buy comfortable running shoes for wearing to work/walking and not to run in. They love how comfortable they are but I think it would be very dependent on the brand/model. I have to admit I ordered a pair of Adidas (on sale) to try running in because I had never tried Adidas before. I like them so much for walking (super comfortable) I have never used them other than minimally for running. So I get the nurse asking about running shoes, they may actually be more comfortable than 'nurse shoes' and possibly cheaper. Note my daughter bought Danskos for work and they were more than any of my running shoes have been.

That said I think it is up to the sales people to explain to the non-runners what might be optimal for their intended use. No sales person should ever sell anyone, let alone an older non-running person, a pair of track cleats unless the intended use is to run sprints on a track. Their job is to guide the customer to the proper shoe and fit.
  • katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    Options
    Good grief @zdyb23456 you are dedicated to slug out 20 miles on the treadmill. Way to perservere!
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    Options
    MobyCarp wrote: »
    kevaasen wrote: »
    zdyb23456 wrote: »
    9/1 16.7 miles
    9/2 rest
    9/3 5 miles treadmill
    9/4 9.21 miles
    9/5 rest
    9/6 10 miles
    9/7 14 miles
    9/8 4miles
    9/9 rest
    9/10 9.41 miles
    9/11 8miles
    9/12 5miles
    9/13 4miles
    9/14 20MILES!!!!!! <- I did it all on the TREADMILL!!!

So what do you do when you have a long run scheduled and you are stuck inside due to a tropical storm warning? Well, you lament that you are stuck inside and resign yourself to skipping it cause who in their right mind would ever run 20 miles on a dreadmill??!!

Well, I figured I had nothing else to do. I also knew I wouldn't be able to run the entire thing straight so I decided to break it up into segments. I did 8 miles, then 6 miles, then 4, then 2. It took me 4 hours and 50 minutes total with breaks between where I would drink water and change into dry running clothes and also feed my kids lunch :smile: I had a pouch of Honey Stingers after 14 miles and they didn't bother my stomach so that's good to know for future long runs.

Here it is! I went by the treadmill mileage since my Garmin in "indoor" mode doesn't seem as accurate. It wasn't too far off though!

ETA not sure why the image is so large - sorry about that!

142t142vsxv5.jpg

3/18/2018 Shamrock half marathon
    3/24/2018 Don't Sit on Colon Cancer 5K
    5/28/2018 Run to Remember 5K

10/7/2018 Crawlin Crab half marathon
    10/13/2018 Joggin for Frogmen 5K
    11/18/2018 Norfolk Harbor half marathon
    12/2/2018 Busch Gardens Christmas Town Dash 8K

To complete 20 miles is hard enough physically and mentally. 20 miles on a dreadmill.....even more of a mental challenge to overcome. Just incredible! Very well done!

I could not run 20 miles on the dreadmill. We don't get tropical storms where I live, but we do get winter storms. There was a Saturday in 2016 when the weather was so severe that all the group runs were canceled and GRTC even had to call off the Freezeroo race that day because it was so cold. I was scheduled to run 22 miles, and didn't think I could handle more than 10 to 13 outside.

So I ran my 22 miles as 177 laps of a 200m indoor track. Later, someone suggested I could have run it on a treadmill. I just stared at him; that never occurred to me.

Holy buckets, that’s a lot of laps! I’m pretty sure I’d prefer it to a treadmill, but still!
    @zdyb23456 :-o good gawd, you are incredible! I was wondering before I got to the segments bit how you'd done it, my treadmill switches itself off after 100 minutes as I found out one very dreary day back when I hadn't progressed from walking to running and Burger King had happened.
    @MegaMooseEsq my husband did exactly the same, made me go with him to buy 'proper running shoes' a few months ago and has so far used them for running I think 4 times. Can I get him to believe that he needs to try C25k or something rather than just pushing his overweight and unfit body to run as long as he can bear then spending days in pain? Of course not **sigh** it's like asking for directions when lost, apparently not the sort of thing a 'real man' does.

I think I finally convinced my husband to give up on running. He hates it and I’d rather he put his energy towards finding something he at least moderately likes. He does love those shoes, though.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    1---7.01 intervals
    2---5.04 intervals
    3---9.03 intervals
    5---3.67 run
    8---7.52 intervals
    9---6.27 run
    11---4.59 run
    12-13 so busy at work, painting, shoveling gravel, sweeping, etc
    14---8.20 bike

Running. 43.6/60
    Cycling 8.20

Upcoming Races
    October 14th Spirit of Survival Lawton OK. Quarter Marathon
    November 3rd Dinosaur Valley Endurance Run. Half. Glen Rose TX
    January 4 BIRR Ultra relay. 50k. Hawaii. For @KeepRunningFatboy
    March 31, 2019 A2A Undecided distance. Ardmore OK
    April 28, 2019 OKC Memorial Marathon (half)