October 2018 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    @AprilRN10 - glad you received good news on the blood clot

@shanaber - any update on Hobbes?

@PastorVincent - are you crazy? (why am I even asking this ;) ) Seriously - that was really dangerous. Glad you made it home OK. Ice cream - is there really a time when it's not OK? Food of champions.

@BruinsGal_91 - Wow - "area public safety agencies" - makes me wonder if the course hadn't been pre-approved?

Does anyone run in Altra's? I was chatting with someone before Wineglass about them and she really sang their praises. I've had Brooks GTS for years - occasionally try something else but always come back to the GTS. I might get a pair of Altras and put them in a rotation. But if you've tried the Altras, I'd love to hear what you think.

June goal - 44/44
    July goal - 52/52
    August goal - 55/57 miles
    Sept goal - 72/60 miles
    Oct goal - 60 miles

Sept. 30 - Wineglass Half Marathon; Corning, NY
    October 7 - Viking Dash Half Marathon; Toledo, OH

Zion Half in February is already sold out! So is Grandma's in June. Sheesh. I'm going to try to find someone willing to transfer their bib to me. The Zion has a system to "legally" do that. Haven't found out if Grandma's does.

I love my Altra Timps! They are weird to get used to and I'm not fast in them on roads, but my knees love them, and I can tell that I run better in them mechanically. I tend to heel strike and not push off to the rear as much as I should, and the Timps have me running off the balls of my feet. If you get a chance to try them on I recommend it, because they are quite different from Brooks. My husband didn't like them. I wear mine on trails and Brooks Adrenaline on roads.
  • joannedrummond5
    joannedrummond5 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    October 1 - Holidays
    October 2 - Holidays
    October 3 - Holidays
    October 4 - Holidays
    October 5 - Holidays
    October 6 - Holidays
    October 7 - Holidays
    October 8 - 5 km run in Destin, Florida
    October 9 - Traveling home
    October 10 - Traveling home

Total distance run 5km - goal 140 km.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    Does anyone run in Altra's? I was chatting with someone before Wineglass about them and she really sang their praises. I've had Brooks GTS for years - occasionally try something else but always come back to the GTS. I might get a pair of Altras and put them in a rotation. But if you've tried the Altras, I'd love to hear what you think.
    I love my Altra Timps! They are weird to get used to and I'm not fast in them on roads, but my knees love them, and I can tell that I run better in them mechanically. I tend to heel strike and not push off to the rear as much as I should, and the Timps have me running off the balls of my feet. If you get a chance to try them on I recommend it, because they are quite different from Brooks. My husband didn't like them. I wear mine on trails and Brooks Adrenaline on roads.
    [/quote]

My trail shoes are Altra's they are great! I do not even need a wide in them, just 1/2 size up because they are are, as they put it, "foot shaped" :lol:
  • RespectTheKitty
    RespectTheKitty Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options
    @sarahthes Snow?!?!?! SNOW!!!!?!? It's currently 82 degrees F here.

Although, it is supposed to get down into the 40s by the weekend. Gotta love October in Chicago.
  • RunRachelleRun
    RunRachelleRun Posts: 1,854 Member
    Options
    @biketheworld I was all about Altras until I tried Hokas. They are my new favourites. Very similar but the Altras slipped in the heel. I always found the Altras’ laces short as I had to do the runners’ lacing to prevent the slipping.

Like @PastorVincent I don’t have to buy wide, but I wear a half size smaller in both brands. My toes are much happier in them as they have room to spread out.

I have two pairs of Altras (one trail and road) and three pairs of Hokas (one trail and two road). The trails both have good waterproofing, but the Altras have better grip. Though the Altra trails also have a slight lip at the bottom of the heel, which I have found awkward when descending on mountains (hiking) or driving (it bends and can feel as if your foot is caught); I do not know its purpose.
  • biketheworld
    biketheworld Posts: 2,242 Member
    Options
    Guys, I haven’t been able to run for the last three(today makes 4!) days and I’m super cranky. Who would’ve thought I’d actually miss/enjoy running? I’m in classes from morning until night today, so I won’t be able to squeeze in a run until tomorrow :(
    Any tips for becoming a morning runner? I try all the time but I always end up shutting my alarm off and going back to sleep

I am a morning runner - simply because there's no way I'd be able to do that after working all day. And so - knowing that's the only chance I'll get is pretty good motivation in itself. You say you're super cranky (boy do I understand that!) so remind yourself when the alarm goes how much better you're going to feel if you get up and run. It also helps to go to bed at night determined and ready to get up - no "I'll see how I feel." Also - I go to bed early (10ish) so that I've had enough sleep when the alarm goes at 6. Full disclosure - I don't have to be to work until 9 and it's only a 30 minute drive - no traffic. That all helps.
  • Tramboman
    Tramboman Posts: 2,482 Member
    Options
    Another 7k easy run today after a rest day yesterday. 44.5k toward my 120k challenge goal so far. And PastorVincent, every runner here is an inspiration.