Artificial Sweetners-Gum and Diet Pop

Options
1234568»

Replies

• stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    TR0berts wrote: »

Also, I bet this study was done with 1 serving. Try drinking 10 cups of tea with caffeine in them - I'm pretty sure you'll have a diuretic response and end up dehydrated.

I dont think you understand what a diuretic is or how dehydration works. If you drank tea with caffeine in a desert would you die ?

Never said drinking tea would kill you. I understand you could live off of it even if that was your only source of water.

My main point is that for someone trying to get a lot of water (1 gallon/day like I do), it's difficult to do it without actually drinking a ton of pure water. That's just my personal take. If others can get that much water by drinking other liquids/or even foods, more power to them.

Then it is hydrating.

If you drank 1 gallon of tea your body would absorb 1 gallon of water. personal takes and opinions have nothing to do with it.

This depends on how much caffeine is in your tea. In moderate doses, there is no evidence of dehydration from caffeine, I'll give you that point. Some studies show that over 500mg of caffeine do have a dehydrating affect. Let me define what I mean by dehydrating. Basically, if you drank 1 gallon of tea, you wouldn't absorb 1 gallon of water. 1 gallon of tea = 16 cups, which could easily put you over the 500mg caffeine threshold depending on the type of tea.

To my understanding, 500 mg of caffeine is outside of the generally accepted safe range for adults. It seems like you're trying to use "edge cases" of extreme caffeine consumption to make your case. That's more than 10 cans of soda. Other than extreme caffeine consumption where the amount of caffeine itself would be causing a problem for many people, it doesn't seem to be an issue so I'm unclear why you're bringing it up in a thread that is focusing on normal consumption of diet soda.

Not sure if you followed along with the whole thread. Somebody stated that drinking 1 gallon (16 cups) of tea is equivalent to drinking 1 gallon of water each day. My main point is that I think it's fine to drink tea, soda, diet soda, juices, beer, wine, whatever you want. I find it difficult to get to my goal of absorbing 1 gallon of water a day without the majority of my intake coming from actual water. To be clear, I drink coffee, tea, beer, etc. but mostly I drink water due to it having 0 calories and no potential side effects of drinking too much of it as opposed to most other drinks (whether the side effects are because of too much sugar, calories, caffeine, etc.)

I followed along the whole thread. I'm not sure why your personal goal of "absorbing" 1 gallon of water is relevant to the conversation at all.

Because OP mentioned that Stevia causes her to urinate frequently, so dehydration may be something of concern for her.

I'm saying my personal goal since we're discussing the topic of staying hydrated. It's like if we were talking about protein intake and I said my goal is 1g/lb of body weight. Not sure what the problem is here.

I believe OP's concern was about frequent and urgent urination -- that's a different issue than staying hydrated. Did I miss where she shared her concern was dehydration and not specifically the frequent and urgent urination?

Dehydration is a common side effect of frequent urination. Decided to go above and beyond and provide advice on this as well. Kind of like extra credit.

Except you don't get extra credit when your answer(s) is/are wrong.

And you keep talking about excess urination, but then say to drink water. Which, as you acknowledged previously, makes you urinate more.

It's ok to admit you don't know something. It's often the first step in learning.

Not claiming to be an expert on the topic. OP said stevia gives her excess urination. I don't know anything about whether or not stevia causes excess urination, but that's what she claims. Drinking water instead of anything with stevia might help her issue.

Obviously, anything you drink will cause you to urinate, but drinking water instead of beverages with stevia may mitigate some of the excess urination for OP and allow her to stay hydrated.

Usually if a substance causes excess or sudden urination, the effect is physiological not hydraulic, meaning that drinking more water will make the problem worse.

Also meaning that the effect impacts the integrity of the various sphincters and not necessarily the quantity of water voided.
  • cthakkar1985
    cthakkar1985 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    TR0berts wrote: »

Also, I bet this study was done with 1 serving. Try drinking 10 cups of tea with caffeine in them - I'm pretty sure you'll have a diuretic response and end up dehydrated.

I dont think you understand what a diuretic is or how dehydration works. If you drank tea with caffeine in a desert would you die ?

Never said drinking tea would kill you. I understand you could live off of it even if that was your only source of water.

My main point is that for someone trying to get a lot of water (1 gallon/day like I do), it's difficult to do it without actually drinking a ton of pure water. That's just my personal take. If others can get that much water by drinking other liquids/or even foods, more power to them.

Then it is hydrating.

If you drank 1 gallon of tea your body would absorb 1 gallon of water. personal takes and opinions have nothing to do with it.

This depends on how much caffeine is in your tea. In moderate doses, there is no evidence of dehydration from caffeine, I'll give you that point. Some studies show that over 500mg of caffeine do have a dehydrating affect. Let me define what I mean by dehydrating. Basically, if you drank 1 gallon of tea, you wouldn't absorb 1 gallon of water. 1 gallon of tea = 16 cups, which could easily put you over the 500mg caffeine threshold depending on the type of tea.

To my understanding, 500 mg of caffeine is outside of the generally accepted safe range for adults. It seems like you're trying to use "edge cases" of extreme caffeine consumption to make your case. That's more than 10 cans of soda. Other than extreme caffeine consumption where the amount of caffeine itself would be causing a problem for many people, it doesn't seem to be an issue so I'm unclear why you're bringing it up in a thread that is focusing on normal consumption of diet soda.

Not sure if you followed along with the whole thread. Somebody stated that drinking 1 gallon (16 cups) of tea is equivalent to drinking 1 gallon of water each day. My main point is that I think it's fine to drink tea, soda, diet soda, juices, beer, wine, whatever you want. I find it difficult to get to my goal of absorbing 1 gallon of water a day without the majority of my intake coming from actual water. To be clear, I drink coffee, tea, beer, etc. but mostly I drink water due to it having 0 calories and no potential side effects of drinking too much of it as opposed to most other drinks (whether the side effects are because of too much sugar, calories, caffeine, etc.)

I followed along the whole thread. I'm not sure why your personal goal of "absorbing" 1 gallon of water is relevant to the conversation at all.

Because OP mentioned that Stevia causes her to urinate frequently, so dehydration may be something of concern for her.

I'm saying my personal goal since we're discussing the topic of staying hydrated. It's like if we were talking about protein intake and I said my goal is 1g/lb of body weight. Not sure what the problem is here.

I believe OP's concern was about frequent and urgent urination -- that's a different issue than staying hydrated. Did I miss where she shared her concern was dehydration and not specifically the frequent and urgent urination?

Dehydration is a common side effect of frequent urination. Decided to go above and beyond and provide advice on this as well. Kind of like extra credit.

Except you don't get extra credit when your answer(s) is/are wrong.

And you keep talking about excess urination, but then say to drink water. Which, as you acknowledged previously, makes you urinate more.

It's ok to admit you don't know something. It's often the first step in learning.

Not claiming to be an expert on the topic. OP said stevia gives her excess urination. I don't know anything about whether or not stevia causes excess urination, but that's what she claims. Drinking water instead of anything with stevia might help her issue.

Obviously, anything you drink will cause you to urinate, but drinking water instead of beverages with stevia may mitigate some of the excess urination for OP and allow her to stay hydrated.

Usually if a substance causes excess or sudden urination, the effect is physiological not hydraulic, meaning that drinking more water will make the problem worse.

Also meaning that the effect impacts the integrity of the various sphincters and not necessarily the quantity of water voided.

Hmm...do you think drinking the same amount of fluid as before, but removing the substance (stevia in this case) that seems to be causing the problem improve the situation? So instead of drinking 8 glasses of water with stevia, just drink 8 glasses of water.
  • dmz1983
    dmz1983 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Sorry I didn't weigh in sooner when this conversation went off the rails. I don't worry about dehydration. I specifically have noticed issues with Stevia and frequent/urgent urination as well as low blood pressure symptoms. Personal experience/observation. I'm not a scientist and I'm not trying to make scientific points. I know there are a lot of really researched based people on here that weight in and also just common people like myself that maybe have noticed something similar. After paying more attention to my situation, I can add that using the Stevia liquid drops causes a more drastic effect for me in terms of frequent and urgent urination. So much so, that I won't use them If I'm leaving the house for a walk or can't use the rest room for a while. Stevia in itself (packets too) causes more bouts of this for me. I have symptoms that resemble how I feel when my blood pressure is too low. I struggle with very low blood pressure-hereditary. I don't know for certain if it IS dropping my BP because i don't have a way of measuring it at home. Lately, I will have aspartame or splenda starting in the afternoon through the evening and I am not waking up during the night to urinate. When I consume Stevia-like a stevia soda or stevia drops in a liquid-I will be up 3+ times.
  • Poisonedpawn78
    Poisonedpawn78 Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    amy19355 wrote: »
    I have come to believe( thru reading and from personal experience) that sugar is an addictive substance, and , that sugar substitutes only confuse the body into thinking the sweet taste came with the energy of real sugar. Because there is no nutrient value in artificial sweeteners, the body keeps demanding more in response to the body’s natural connection between the taste of sweet and the carb boost.
    The proof from my own experience was the measurable increase in how much more artificial
    Sweetener I added to my diet , six months after I started using it in the first place. From two packets of sweetener to as many as four or five, all in an effort to “get the sugar fix”. (That wasn’t ever going to happen).

Good luck to us all!

lol
  • LiLee2018
    LiLee2018 Posts: 1,389 Member
    Options
    I use artificial sweeteners and drink diet dr pepper every day. Doesn't seem to be holding me back and it helps to keep this healthier way of eating more sustainable. I don't feel so deprived.
  • ata1anta
    ata1anta Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I'm a stevia fan. Tried to grow it, but it can be a little finicky in this area (and I'm not so good with plants). I use dried stevia leaves in my iced tea. I like sweet leaf and stevia in the raw brands, though I don't find it bitter like many people do. Whatever the brand is they just started carrying at WaWa I don't like that, THAT one is bitter (I think it's something they use in the mix because I don't taste it with straight stevia).

I've not had issues with Aspartame, Sucralose, Fructose, Glucose, or any other sweetener, natural or otherwise.
  • oat_bran
    oat_bran Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    So nobody else besides OP has issues with frequent urination due to artificial sweeteners? For years I've struggled with frequent urination, and especially at night it's an issue (I wake up 2-4 times to pee at night), but doctors says I'm fine. So I was just attributing it to drinking a lot in general and thinking it's just a particularity of my body.

But now that OP have mentioned frequent urination can be caused by artificial sweeteners, I wonder if that could be the cause in my case as well? I don't drink diet soda, but use a lot of sucralose to sweeten things like porridge etc. and water flavoring syrups I use have acesulfam-k in it. I use stevia and sugar alcahols as well but much less frequently. Also many of the protein bars, protein powders and low-cal foods I eat are sweetened artificially.

I don't remember reading anything before about the connection between frequent urination and artificial sweeteners, but from what I understand it's actually hard to check by elimination since it "wears the bladder over time". I imagine that after years of artificial sweeteners use My bladder is not in good state (if the artificial sweeteners indeed cause the increase in the frequency of urination).

• BruceHedtke
    BruceHedtke Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    k8lyn8306 wrote: »
    Artificial sweeteners have no impact on your weight gain/loss, but that doesn’t mean they are not important. They can harm your body internally bc they are chemicals you are putting into your body. Your 70 year old self will thank you for cutting them out.

You do realize that every single thing that exists in the universe is made up of chemicals, right? Even if you drink nothing but water, you're drinking chemicals. All to wash down the chemicals you just ate.