WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR OCTOBER 2018

Options

Replies

• trucker743
    trucker743 Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    Rebecca, I really miss the health club. They had a great water aerobics pool and all the proper machines. Sadly, I had to drop it for the $$. It felt so good to have a steady routine there, and they supplied the shampoo, conditioner, bath gel and body lotion. Great single showers too, and sauna and steam room.

Lanette, I am ENFP. Outgoing, non-judgemental, curious as my cats. I’m the kid who drove parents, teachers and friends nuts wanting to know “Why?”!

Barbiecat, your bulbs will be great in the spring. All you need are a few iris and you’ll be set until early summer. Love your response to the printer post.

Lisa in AR - printers are minions of Bealzibub? DEFINITELY! With programmable thermostats right there in the running!

I don’t know what’s causing it, but I’m freezing all day long until evening, then I’m warm to too warm. Guess my blood hasn’t thickened up for winter yet! I certainly don’t have the weight loss to thank yet. May all your coverlets be fleecy and light!

- Sharon, AHMOC, near Seattle
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,197 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    Lisa - We don't have that kind of property tax. Is that something you pay yearly, or monthly?
    What we do have is the dreaded 'stamp duty' , which means we are actually handing over to the government a bit short of $50,000 for the pleasure of exchanging one roof for another. The houses are very little different in price and it is our only home. Poor DH has had to reach into deep savings. That was what he was doing yesterday at the bank. With the cost of the estate agents, the solicitors and the removal company it makes him about $70,000 poorer. Real money, not mortgage money. I am in favour of taxes in general and don't even mind death duties, but this one really annoys me. We are not making a profit, just changing roof. Grrrrrrrrrr!
    The stamp duty goes up in jumps according to the value of your house. There is none at the very low end. But we have only our pensions to live on and it is just a roof.
    If I were a property speculator I could understand it, or if it were a second home.
    We could have bought a cheaper home and used the difference to pay the duty, but, unfortunately, that is the price of houses in the area we liked. They are all about the same price and same size. We stretched for the one we liked after two fell through, but DH had his face set a bit tight when he went out of the door yesterday. :o
    We do have 'council tax' that you pay monthly to the local council for services, like trash collection, roads, street lighting, some education, social care etc. That is dependant on the value of your house.

So, DH is feeling 'cleaned out' , so I hope it's worth it. I was very surprised when he said he wasn't against moving down there. I thought I would never get him out of the countryside. I know he loves the sea, but a built up environment wouldn't be his first choice. We both feel we can't go on living so far from facilities for daily life, plus we need to 'do' more, rather than just staying in all the time. We both love to be at home, but it would be nice to go out to the theatre or a music venue. We feel a change is good for us as we get older. Plus, to be honest, we have lived here eight years and found no one we want to be friends with. My two yoga friends don't live nearby. DH's cricket friend drives down from south London. People are pleasant, but very insular and different from us politically and culturally. Not a bad thing, but not BF material. Hove will be more our 'tribe'. :D

Love Heather UK xxxxxxx
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    Heather You can't take it with you, might as well put it towards the next adventure. Grandkids, the shore, new outings, new friends, all good for your entire family. I do remember that moment when you realize all that money is leaving your account for good--deep breath. Soon you'll be breathing in that coastal air.

Our heating maintenance appointment got cancelled, cleaned up around the house for nothing! :s:p Off to work then exercise today. Yummy homemade yogurt with almonds for breakfast, butternut squash soup for lunch and hummus with cucumbers and red peppers for snack.....delightful fuel for the day.

Take care everyone <3 NYKAREN
  • LisaInAR
    LisaInAR Posts: 2,020 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    Warning - TMI and TL;DR for most people, especially if you're not interested in taxes:

Heather - Property tax is once a year, although many tax assessment offices will now take payments spread out over a certain amount of time. It pays for the same things as your council taxes, but adds one more layer, as it includes city and county services, such as roads and bridge maintenance, county sheriffs and deputies, city police, city hospitals, firefighters, public schools, etc.

"Stamp duty" sounds odd to American ears, almost like a penalty for buying a nice house. Here, you would pay capital gains tax if you sold your OWN house during the transaction for much, much more than its original purchase price. There are conditions, such as owning it and living in it for at least two years, but effectively, at least at our income level, you wouldn't pay capital gains tax unless you sold your house for $250,000 more than your basis, which is your total investment in the house, including purchase price and expenditures to make it usable or expand it. That goes up to $500,000 if you're married.

The amounts paid to the government during the purchase of a new house in the US usually amount only to the charge for officially recording the deed transfer, which is a small, standard fee, and possibly a pro-rated part of the property tax on the property you're buying, but the amount of that you pay is part of the agreement you make with the buyer. If it's being sold to recover taxes, the city/county effectively owns it, and part of the purchase price will be the taxes owed, no matter how large or small the amount.

You can also file a protest against the assessor's valuation of the property by gathering information on the valuation of similar properties. I got our property tax on the warehouse cut nearly in half, as it hadn't been re-assessed in more than ten years, and comparable properties were paying MUCH less than we were in property taxes. Most counties now have websites where all the information is available publically on who owns the property, including history of taxes paid, unpaid, market value, etc.

Please note, too, that most mortgage companies here add a certain amount to your mortgage payment monthly, which they hold in escrow over the year, and then THEY pay your property tax and home insurance out of that escrow amount each year. We've been able to avoid escrow on many previous purchases, as I'd prefer that the money be gaining interest for us, rather than the mortgage company. We gave into it here, as it levels out that amount over the year, so we don't end up with those two lump sum amounts hitting us all at once.

More than you wanted to know? :) I find it fascinating, the differences between the two countries.

Lisa in AR.
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,688 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    morning my lovelies~
    I slept fair.. not great..but ok,,,
    I am assisting today and then will work on tomorrows work...Claudia only has a week left to work...I would be nervous but as China doesn't recognize same sex marriage her visa will only let her stay 3 months at a time...so she will be coming back and forth to the states for 3 yrs.. I will be praying that her and Katie will be able to weather that storm..
    Heather so exciting to hear of your moving adventures... cant wait to see pictures of your new place..
    I have always dreamed of living near the sea or any body of water for that matter.. hopefully God grants me that someday.. but if not , I will be ok too..I am learning to live a different way .. as they say in the 12 step programs im letting go and letting God.
    believe me i am not bible thumper by any means ,just want to live in grace and do as I have been taking care of who I need to take care of and not speak ill of people..
    what a blessing it is to have so many friends in all of you, across this country and all over the world..
    This week I have come home to 3 fur babies that love me, I take care of them and they take care of me..
    going to take them out for a walk in a few minutes and then go feed my DFIL and then work 10-5 today..
    Lisa~ I know your still getting used to you new home.. feels kinda funny doesn't it? so happy for you and Corey , you so deserve it. with all the places you have moved and all the things you have done to settle in one place and just go ahhhhhh , must just be wonderful....
    looking forward to helping out at the nursing home friday afternoon... that should be alot of fun..
    Tom and Elena going to dinner with his aunt and uncle this afternoon.. I know it will sorta be hard for both of them maybe a little weird as this will be the first time Elena will meet part of his family.. hope it goes smoothly... Bill and Arlene are great people... Arlene I remember when I was down there and she and I were in the golf cart and she was taking me i dont know to bingo or something and she well you know this is Gods waiting room.... I almost fell out of the cart I was laughing so hard.. but it's the truth...so I use it too where I am,over 55 condos.. he he he..
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,046 Member
    Options
    :heart:
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,688 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    well DFIL was awake and ate a good amount on his own and then I fed him the rest... he is a hoot sometimes... let Tom know how he was doing and sent him a picture of him eating,,,
    I know he feels comfortable as he knows his dad and the dogs are taken care of and he can relax and enjoy himself down in Florida..,
    I will hold the fort down here..
    well I am off to work in a few enjoy the day xoxox
  • cityjaneLondon
    edited October 2018
    Options
    Busy day.
    This morning I went to my wonderful yoga group for the last ever time. :'( It's the thing I will miss most, especially the game old gals still doing downward dog at over 82. :o:o I love my teacher, who creates a very warm and laid back atmosphere.
    We went to the pub afterwards for coffee and I said a sad goodbye. I really hope my special friend I met there will come and see me, but she's not very adventurous on her own.

Then this afternoon we started worrying about the parking for the move. Here it's fine as we have space, but there is just a normal street with cars both sides. I couldn't get much sense out of the council and our sellers are on holiday!! Eventually we rang our removals, the estate agents down there, plus their removal company, and found out that their company have applied for a parking suspension for three bays and, hopefully, we should be able to use their space when they have left. Here's hoping no one else sneaks in in the meantime! We have two lorries! A eight and a half meter one and a six and a half meter one. :o:o:o:o:o Not easy in an average suburban street.
    So we have done as much as we can.

Then we went for a walk together round the lanes. Needed it! DH said 'I still haven't got used to you walking so fast! ' :D

Love Heather UK xxxxxxx
  • okiewoman510
    okiewoman510 Posts: 1,286 Member
    Options
    Rye - We will miss you. Drop us a line to let us know you are OK when you can. Hugs!!

Okie
  • cityjaneLondon
    Options
    Oh Rye! So sorry! <3<3<3<3<3<3

Lots of love, Heather UK xxxxxxx
  • auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,483 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    Barbie all those bulbs, glad you're feeling better. "...malfunction proportional to the desperation of the operator..." so very very true!
    pip Gilroy! Have an artichoke or two for me :)
    Rye thoughts and prayers are with you, please don't go far and come back soon.
    Lisa Aaahhh!
    Heather in the US we have an advertisement whose punch line is priceless. In your situation it would go something like "Decision to move=months of frustration and $70,000. Being part of the grands' every day life=Priceless!
    Evie did you feel those earthquakes? Hope no damage/harm.

Yesterday had to do 45 mins of Leslie Sansome to meet minimum step goal.
    TODAY I will get down on the floor and exercise those knees, roast that chicken, tend the garden, drop off cider at a friends, pay the outrageous price Freddy asks for a box of Borax and do a load of laundry before line dancing. UP and at 'em!

Lighter, lovelies!
    f8qt1s098sxm.gifBarbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD.
    60 g protein 17/22, rx/vits 13.5/22, meditate 10/22, walk one more step 19/22, knee exercises 10/22, core 3/12, walk Tumble 2/12 times, SWSY 0/6, hang up or purge art 0/0, AF 14/22.
  • coastalgosgal
    coastalgosgal Posts: 2,900 Member
    Options
    So, I purchased a bottle of 14 day herbal cleanse. But then it was a buy one, get one bottle free, so I have a bottle upstairs ( take 2 pills at night), and a bottle in the kitchen,( take first thing before you eat). Presently waiting for last nights pills to "kick in". I had pizza last night, which I do not eat that often. Tmi? Well that's life.😋

Today, going to drink more water, eat really simply. Well try to eat more simply...
    Its cold here on the island! Getting down into the low 40's at night.
    💗Rebecca