The Sober Squad- Alcohol Free Living

Options

Replies

• lorrainequiche59
    lorrainequiche59 Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    @JenT304 I just clicked on your signs & they enlarged. Julie posted a (Ted Talk?) video a few pages back that discusses women's drinking & how advertisers have recognized the large percentage of women they can target &
    the result has been a significant increase in women drinkers...IN fact the male population has stayed fairly constant with a bit of a decrease, so it seems that women are actually out-drinking men. Obviously your signs show that no one is spared, even "girls." Advertisers are unscrupulous, cause their bottom line is $$$$$$$ & lots of it, they spend billions to make many more billions and they do not care who they target!

I remember an article about marketing to children & the term "prostitots" was used in reference to clothing marketed to children. It had a pic of a "child's" (under 12 year old category) pair of low-waist jogging pants & across the butt was printed "Juicy" in sparkles...What the heck is THAT!! Pedophile bait???? It is disgusting when the lines become blurred to the point of sending mixed messages that could very well end in victimizing children. The only control we have is to not finance it!!
  • jhilkene
    jhilkene Posts: 104 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    @mainelylisa I like that version better!
    @JenT304
    Cigarettes used to be glamorized also, until we realized how dangerous they are.
    Can you imagine if the sign had "cigarette" in its place? Alcohol can cause devastating health conditions leading to death, and with DWIs added in, it seems just as dangerous to me. :/
  • Kiki9871
    Kiki9871 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    joha5603 wrote: »
    py16kh60qsb1.png
    @Kiki9871 .... I found that I needed reminders now and again and coincidentally I found this one in my makeup bag today...

Great idea! I just put on two bracelets that my hubby gave me when each of my sons were born. I want them to be a physical reminder of why I am choosing to not drink. I’m hoping when I look at them I will find the strength. I’m thinking some sticky notes will help also!
  • NormInv
    NormInv Posts: 3,285 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
  • islandbeez
    islandbeez Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    @NormInv She has a movie called One Little Pill about Naltrexone. I've seen it recommended so often on other stop drinking boards and read more than a few personal accounts about how it has saved a person's life. Thanks for sharing this, I hadn't watched anything on it yet.
  • mainelylisa
    mainelylisa Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    @NormInv Yes, she also has a book--Babylon Confidential. I actually sought out a psychiatrist about a year ago after googling doctors and Naltrexone. What I found out was that it's a miracle-ish pill--but only if you have the right body chemistry. Which I obviously, did not (However, I took pills, and there is an injectable--so perhaps would have made a difference).

More evidence that different strokes work for different folks. It's all about finding that stroke. Hopefully not the kind which alcohol contributes to.
  • kcn2bluesky
    kcn2bluesky Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Hi, Everyone!
    Just posting a quick update at almost 10 months AF. I've finally run a marathon, something that I've wanted to do for years!
    Karen

Hi Karen! You ran the Humboldt Redwoods marathon??!! That's awesome! When I was born we lived in Humboldt Redwoods, in Bull Creek, where my dad was a ranger. I live in Redding now. I'm so jealous! I've always wanted to run a marathon but fear has held me back... 3 miles is my go-to length and even that is a butt-kicker.

Hi @joha5603 !
    It was the Humboldt Redwoods marathon that I ran! Such a beautiful area! During the first half of the race, I really enjoyed the scenery...the redwoods are absolutely magnificent! During the last few miles of the race, I just wanted to stop running, so it didn't matter how pretty the trees were lol

I never wanted to run again by the end of the race. The next day as I drove back home, I was contemplating a 10k. And the day after that I started planning my next marathon! :lol:
  • lorrainequiche59
    lorrainequiche59 Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    @Norminv I had seen this video a while back. It's good that there is a "last resort" option for people if they are at the point the speaker was at in her life. As with any medication there are side effects, but obviously a person would need to weigh that out. I wonder why this isn't more widely known. Perhaps my ex could benefit from this drug. He just got his 3rd DUI. Thanks for sharing that.
  • jhilkene
    jhilkene Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Happy Halloween!
    Stay safe everyone..
    And watch out for the kids!
    :trollface:
  • ElC_76
    ElC_76 Posts: 3,054 Member
    Options
    Going into this Halloween like... so sober! ...and so stoked that I'll remember it! Now, dear goddesses, please let this evening be over (guests out the door, children in bed) no later than 9 PM. :)
    Yes Its going to hard for me, we are having a crowd in. I wonder if that blocker is good for sugar too.
    jhilkene wrote: »
    Happy Halloween!
    Stay safe everyone..
    And watch out for the kids!
    :trollface:

JenT304 wrote: »
    Happy Halloween everyone! Have a spooky fun day/evening! >:)

Same to ya! =P
  • joha5603
    joha5603 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    alerica1 wrote: »
    I would like to join in. My last drink was October 25. I’m excited to see the changes in my body and mind

Welcome, @alerica1 ! This is a great group... some newbies (like me), and some with a lifetime of sobriety and/or a long time of taking a good, hard look at their relationship with alcohol. I've found it to be a very safe space and I hope you do too.
  • ElC_76
    ElC_76 Posts: 3,054 Member
    Options
    fishgutzy wrote: »
    I count myself to be lucky.
    I learned before my 22nd birthday that alcohol is not my friend.
    My last drink was a Bud Long neck at the bowling alley bar on Hollomam AFB, NM on November 15th 1982. My life started the next day and made possible every good thing that has happened since then.
    I used to believe I couldn't have fun without drinking. Now I know I can't have a life if I drink. Also makes going out for dinner a lit less expensive.

Thanku for sharing your experience with us. However I am struggling with that idea, not having fun without alcohol. Also seeing others drinking and enjoying themselves is a trigger for me.
  • RubyRed427
    RubyRed427 Posts: 4,174 Member
    Options
    @ElC_76 I understand totally how you feel. Our habits are ingrained. Like my therapist said, I’ve spend years and even decades with my “best friend’ alcohol- she’s been with me during funerals, weddings, holidays, weekends, dinners, evenings, vacations......

So, just continue to remind yourself all the positives you get from cutting back. Calories saved (even though you are doing awesome with your weight loss!), no headaches or hangovers, good role models for our kids, gaining strength in facing problems head on without the fog of alcohol.

You’re doing better than you think! Xo