The Sober Squad- Alcohol Free Living

Options

Replies

• joha5603
    joha5603 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Hi all. I had an interesting and gorgeous day! I hiked a local peak, over 1,700 ft in elevation gain in about 2.5 miles (and back down), and kinda kicked my hiking partner's butt! Not that it's a race, of course, but I was surprised that this new friend, a more experienced great hiker, had so much trouble. I think laying off the booze has given me strength and energy is unexpected ways. Also, at the top my friend heated up some of his special coffee and I had a sip... holy cow! It had Irish cream in it. Thankfully, it didn't effect me, but I certainly didn't have any more. Thankfully my drinking issue isn't like a severe chemical dependency like I've seen in other folks, but ... phew. I was glad to have spent a gorgeous day, one I got to have I think b/c I've kicked my booze-y habits, and I find it ironic that I had to confront it and at the peak of a mountain, no less!
  • ElC_76
    ElC_76 Posts: 3,054 Member
    Options
    fishgutzy wrote: »
    ElC_76 wrote: »

Thanku for sharing your experience with us. However I am struggling with that idea, not having fun without alcohol. Also seeing others drinking and enjoying themselves is a trigger for me.

It takes time for new habits to be comfortable and feel like one's natural state. There maybe moments when one must take it one minute at a time.
    "Friends" that have issues with alcohol may also try to sabotage because they don't don't want to deal with it.
    We can only control our own choices.

Swimming is a better drug than alcohol ever was for me. None of the nasty side effects. Ha!

Just one minute, one hour, one day at a time.

That's great!!,

personally I have had issues, so know all abt the consequences but have learnt its not the best for me.
    I have backed it off dramatically. Ive gone from having it everyday to still struggling with triggers. I have to do a lot of talking myself out and substituting it.
    I live with drinkers that, as u say, 'don't want to deal with it'. So Im really loving the support and ideas from these alcohol threads.

First hand advice is awesome, thanku again much appreciated !!.. :smiley:
  • ElC_76
    Options
    joha5603 wrote: »
    Hi all. I had an interesting and gorgeous day! I hiked a local peak, over 1,700 ft in elevation gain in about 2.5 miles (and back down), and kinda kicked my hiking partner's butt! Not that it's a race, of course, but I was surprised that this new friend, a more experienced great hiker, had so much trouble. I think laying off the booze has given me strength and energy is unexpected ways. Also, at the top my friend heated up some of his special coffee and I had a sip... holy cow! It had Irish cream in it. Thankfully, it didn't effect me, but I certainly didn't have any more. Thankfully my drinking issue isn't like a severe chemical dependency like I've seen in other folks, but ... phew. I was glad to have spent a gorgeous day, one I got to have I think b/c I've kicked my booze-y habits, and I find it ironic that I had to confront it and at the peak of a mountain, no less!

It's good to experience the extra strength from not having alcohol. I found that too.. I hope u are able to continue.. :wink:
  • ElC_76
    Options
    JenT304 wrote: »
    @EIC_76 I totally get it. I have felt the same way. For years. Like @RubyRed427 says, these habits are ingrained. You think, "how can I possibly have fun without it??" It helped me to envision alcohol as a bad boyfriend. Yes, he is fun and sexy for a while, but eventually the bad outweighs the good and you don't want to put up with him anymore.
    Maybe this video will help. I have also ordered the book, "The unexpected Joy of being Sober." It has a lot of positive feedback and I am looking forward to reading it. Good luck. We are here for you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zCvdq4RVZPk

Thanks Jen same/ same.. great to know I'm not the only one :blush:
  • salleewins
    salleewins Posts: 2,308 Member
    Options
    I love that video @RubyRed427. He cracks me up on something we know to be serious. It is hard to tell here, but I love to joke around a lot. I could see telling my story in a funny way someday. I have been asked to speak when I had just a few days sober and I passed. So my day is coming. I hate public speaking, but I can be good at it. I have been planning what to say for awhile. He does it well. Ha ha, lol.
  • lorrainequiche59
    lorrainequiche59 Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    @Thistimeisit Welcome!! I'm sorry for your loss <3

Here's to taking your life back <3 You CAN do this! @RubyRed427 made some great suggestions. I especially like when she suggests treating alcohol education like a college course. Absorb yourself in learning about alcohol's negative effect on our brains & bodies & the positive effects of detoxing & cleansing ourselves from the poisonous nature of alcohol. Once you have a couple of weeks of sobriety, you'll be feeling so much better & will continue to going forward.

@RubyRed427 Thank you for sharing Craig Ferguson's experience. I love how he shared that he doesn't have a drinking problem, he has a thinking problem!! He's one of my fave comics...I so love his raw honesty. And great sign! Yes, sobriety has a way of revealing our true friendships. What a blessing!

Hope everyone has a great week ahead!
  • RubyRed427
    RubyRed427 Posts: 4,174 Member
    Options
    @salleewins and @lorrainequiche59 Love hearing from you. Craig Ferguson is great! I also like how he said if you had kidney problems you would have to go to dialysis. If we have a drinking problem, we have to do something to help that.
    Yes, it is a thinking problem!

Wishing you both and all our new and old friends a strong, positive week. With this time change, today has been a long day. When you quit drinking, you have so much more time to do things in a typical day- love it!
  • salleewins
    salleewins Posts: 2,308 Member
    Options
    Hello all.... today I have decided I need to get my life in order and healthy. A very beautiful soul, who was roughly my age of 52 died unexpectedly of a blood clot. Someone I, and many, considered very giving, loving and just a wonderful person. I cannot make sense of it at times. I guess sometimes it takes tragedy to wake you up?? I have been very cruel to this body God has given me. I drink alcohol daily, eat unhealthy and do not "move". I weigh around 350 pounds (how I got there is beyond me). It has been years since I did things I enjoy, as simple as crotchet and craft. But today, I take my life back. I am not ready to die! I have children still in school. I have not been a very good role model to them, and that needs to change!! I joined MFP and strapped in a Fit Bit today. I'm just trying to find the support to help me through this. Thank you and God Bless.

I am very sorry about your loss. I am happy to hear about your resolve to change. With the way you sound, I believe you will make the changes that you need. p.s. I love crocheting and just bought some yarn today on sale to make a summer tank as I want to go sleeveless once these pounds are FINALLY off. Darn yarn was still pricey, but hey with what I spent on alcohol before, I should care less......It is a nice cotton blend. A pretty, purple-blue and white.
  • whitpauly
    whitpauly Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    Happy AF Monday all! <3
  • joha5603
    joha5603 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    @whitpauly ... happy AF Monday to you too! This day feels fabulous so far. :)
  • ElC_76
    Options
    mbaker566 wrote: »
    Morning all

for those of you on the 12 step path, youtube has lots of open speaker meetings and workshops. i follow the odomtology channel.
    i love it
    if you feel affected by someone elses drinking or if you want to know the other side of the coin they have shares from friend and family too.

i am mostly AF because i don't like not feeling like me. my husband drank, he said, because he didn't want to feel like himself. to feel like himself was unbearable. much of his recovery was working on him being ok with himself. my own journey was the same. that i was not defined by my relationship with others.

Wow, your overcoming what could be a powerful influence. Well done!!