WOMEN AGES 50 + FOR NOVEMBER 2018

Options

Replies

• OregonMother
    OregonMother Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options

DH lost in the election. He decided to run for one of our house position in our state. I did not say much about this because I too try to keep politics out of this site.

Margaret -- I'm sorry for your husband's loss. Without getting too political, how was the experience running, from your perspective?

Felicia
    Willamette Valley, Oregon
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    Machka: I wonder what tipped the apple cart over here on MFP. I’m glad I can record my food and find my friends. Right now that is the most important part of it all for me. :star:

Janet: What a wonderful birthday card from Callie. WOW!!! Happy Birthday! :heart:

KJ: Oregon is a vote by mail state & we turned in our ballots last week. They’ll count them all after polls close. There seems to be lots of crackpots running for office this year. :ohwell: There are also some very good people. :flowerforyou:

Lisa: I love this quotation, “Only love can be divided endlessly and still not diminish." It is a gift and you may see me post it now and then. Thank you! :heart:

Heather: You sound all cozied in at your new place, even though you likely still have things to do to get settled in. I love hot soup on a dark & rainy evening. :bigsmile: (We also have too much stuff.) :ohwell:

Yesterday DH & I went clothes shopping for me and for him. I got two new pairs of jeans and two new tops. He got a new pair of pants. We were lucky to find things we liked at sale prices. :star: We also bought a pair of drapery pullers for the RV. It will make closing the front curtains at night and opening them in the morning much easier. Yay! Regarding the election, I was able to find the city, county & state races on the internet last night and all of my candidates & ballot measures were successful. I’m happy with the outcome.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

Today I am grateful for this site, and also for election results that I like.
  • efricke1
    efricke1 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Whew, finally caught up.
    Re: voting. The big one in GA was the governor's race. Very contentious becasue one of the candidates is also Secretary of State and supervises elections...conflict of interest??!!! His opponent, who would be the first African American governor in GA hasn't conceded yet and I tend to agree with her.

Love the daily gratitude:
    Smell: The ocean
    Technology: Skype
    Color: British racing green or light pink (big range there!)
    Food: All of them :) Breads/pastries/desserts
    Sound: Silence
    Nature: I love the desert
    Memory: Meeting my husband

Short Bio for the newbies: I'm 54, married (for 3.5 years-so, newlyweds) and have lived in Decatur, GA for 22+ years. University administrator for 21 years. We have 2 cats and a 4.5 month old corgi puppyy41nrwdoqnxe.jpg PIc is of him at 10 weeks and 18 weeks. Handsome fella holding him is my DH. My weight inched up as I aged. Many attempts at losing weight/getting fit failed. The only thing that has worked is MFP. I swore I would never count calories and it turns out that was key :smiley: I work out with a personal trainer two times a week and get to the gym at least 3 other times a week. WHile I'd still like to lose another 10 pounds, I'm being practical and will work on maintaining during the holidays.

ElizabethGA
  • mjschmitzmojo
    mjschmitzmojo Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Happy Wednesday - Got in a great 4 mile interval workout last night before dark. Felt awesome, logged all of my calories for the day and stayed within my boundaries.
    Cleaned out the closet looking for clothes to wear to work, loaded 4 garbage bags of clothes to big, no more size 16 or 14. Staying at 10 or 12 and I am glad I saved clothes, it is like having a whole new wardrobe pulling out the clothes I haven't worn for a few years.
    Stuck at my 37lb loss the last 2 weeks. 3 more lbs to hit my goal, but would like to maybe lose 10 more after that.

Welcome to the newbies Tanya, Paige, and Cheryl (as for the fitbit I have the Ionic and I love it, my sons gave it to me for my birthday since my other one stopped working after 3 years) Great place for words of encouragement.

Barb - Good luck with the remodeling will look awesome when it's completed, it the process of getting there that is nerve racking. Hope your hubby feels better.

Elizabeth - your Corgi is adorable

Margaret - sorry your hubby lost

Heather - hope your hubby gets better, I am sure the rainy weather doesn't help much. Give him lost of TLC!!

zg1ch2z9nrc3.png

Thank you everyone for sharing your stories it is awesome knowing others are in the same situation struggling with weight gains. Going to try to get another 4 miles in tonight after work.

Jo - Windy City Chgo
  • reneinitaly7
    reneinitaly7 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Cheryl in Florida - I too, at least as far back as I can remember have been in some sort of weight loss/ gain mode, .. I did weight watchers for like forever. I too am 62, and I am just beginning to wean my way away from WW . I did well with them when I was younger, but at this point I would really like to get away from Good/Bad foods, and learn how to balance. One day at a t time :smile:
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,669 Member
    Options
    Yyyuuyy
  • coastalgosgal
    coastalgosgal Posts: 2,900 Member
    Options
    Gratitude:
    Smell: I can not smell these days, strange. I can smell coffee though.💗
    Technology: I do not own a cell phone, and I still love answering our 1957 black rotary phone!
    Color: lime green, or a coastal blue green.
    Food: Mexican food
    Sound: my son's laughter, (Its a heehaw kind of snorting).
    Nature: a quiet sunny beach, and a rainy blustery day!
    Memory: I have to ponder this one!
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,775 Member
    Options
    Memory ... I am very grateful that I have so many beautiful memories ... while some are very sad, even traumatic, they are balanced by many filled with laughter and love. This time of the year, I'm always thinking about my paternal grandmother. She was a wonderful cook and she always tasked me with helping her stuff the Thanksgiving turkey. It's been 25 years since she passed, but I can hear her voice as plain as day as we prepared "poor old Tom Turkey."

Beth near Buffalo where it is very windy and the weathermen are predicting snow...

• barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,969 Member
    Options
    KJLaMore wrote: »
    Barbie- I love the simplicity of your life! I know you meditate regularly; do you think the simplicity is due to the meditation or were you always a "less is more" type of person? <3

:) Most of my life has been an odd combination of "pack rat" and "less is more". I was raised by parents who grew up during the depression and taught me "use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without" so I kept and reused many things and had difficulty letting things go. My father taught me that "the way to save money was to not spend it". Little by little I have found ways to do well with less but not to an extreme. I didn't start meditating in earnest until I read "10% Happier" a few years ago. I learned more about how my life would be better with less by listening to podcasts from "The Minimalists". Daily gratitude practices have contributed to my feeling of well being with what I have and that what I have is enough.

<3 Barbie
  • paigern82
    paigern82 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Elizabeth - I am in GA as well - in Dawsonville! And teach at UNG! Small world - and your corgi is ADORABLE!

Thank you all for the welcomes
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,404 Member
    Options
    B)
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,783 Member
    Options
    Paige- I am a 58 yr old orphan and this is a year of firsts for my brother and I ,our dad died in January so this will be a hard holiday season..
    But I will remember all the wonderful memories that we made over the years....
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,317 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    Good grief! 200+ posts. I will skim over them, lol!

Gratitude diary:
    5) Sound - the sound of hubby snoring in the middle of the night. Very reassuring
    6) In Nature - walking along the coastline which is just a mile from my home.
    7) Memory - nursing my 11 day old granddaughter at 6 am on her first Christmas morning.
  • drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    paigern82 wrote: »
    Elizabeth - I am in GA as well - in Dawsonville! And teach at UNG! Small world - and your corgi is ADORABLE!

Thank you all for the welcomes

Retired now, but have taught at UGA and Piedmont, Athens Campus. I live in Jefferson. Peach Carol is also a retired teacher from Georgia.

Will our hot mess of an election ever be over? I just hope that whatever the outcome, the winner remembers how close the election was and governs for the best of all of us.

• exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,380 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    Did Denise Austin’s Boot Camp DVD. The plan for tomorrow is to do Jari Love’s Ripped and Chiseled DVD.

Vince was playing with the laser pointer with Clyde and out from behind the couch comes Shadow! We have no idea how she got there. You could see she was somewhat conflicted. She wanted to be in the living room yet that meant that she would have to be with the other cats. Everyone watched everyone else. Hopefully, she’ll eventually get to the point where she tolerates our cats.

Steve left. I know that he’d like for us to stay at his house, but there’s really no reason now for us to go up that far. Denise is in DE at the very southern tip of the state.

Barbie – good to hear that you’re back on the bike!

Denise called yesterday. She went for a genetic testing and there isn’t a problem. I don’t remember ever going for genetic testing…but then again medicine has changed. She got a picture of her sonogram. The MD THINKS that it’s a girl. But I told her that even if the doctor says it’s a girl, you can never be 100% sure until you deliver. Vince didn’t know it, but at times they do make a mistake.

Lisa – I’m sorry about your mother. How old were you?

Jo – great getting rid of those clothes. Feels good, huh?

Paige – while we were at ceramics tonight, we were listening to TSO’s Christmas songs. I’m so sorry about your parents

Cindy – welcome! Great loss, by coming here you’ll keep it up

Michele in NC