WOMEN AGES 50 + FOR NOVEMBER 2018

Options

Replies

• paigern82
    paigern82 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Grandmallie - so sorry for your loss! It is hard. I just try to allow myself to grieve when the emotions hit me - you are right to concentrate on the sweet memories.

Thanks Michele! Jo!

Sharon - it was. I recently found an article my dad wrote - with mom's help - about that day - it is funny (he says his service rifle got killed) and terrifying at the same time. I had no idea that this article was written and found it quite by accident. I could hear his voice in the story.

Elizabeth - I feel a research study in your question!! Sorry - just in the midst of being the adviser for 5 student projects!! lol

Carol - I teach in the Family Nurse Practitioner Program - just started in August.

So...I'm setting my goal each month - 5 lbs. As of today - on the 8th of the month - I have met 82% of my goal!! Trick will be to maintain for the entire month and then loss another 5 lbs in December.

Favorite author: Carl Haisson - he has Florida down pat - lived there all my life until just recently - he makes me laugh!! As a child - I started early - Loved the Cherry Ames serious about a nurse...which I knew I wanted to be since I was 2 years old! Then, I moved onto the James Michener novels - loved them

Wishing everyone great success

Night
    Paige
  • aricphillips
    aricphillips Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    dan this ryles
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    Lanette: It sounds like you’re making great strides in getting warm and cozy. Nice! :smiley:

Heather: I hope the burglars are at home watching TV today and your home is not disturbed. :star:

Carol in GA & Lisa: In elementary school I fell in love with a series of books called Ginny & Geneva, by Catherine Wooley. I see they’re still available on amazon. I have good memories of enjoying & reading those books in grade school. I also loved Little Women and have a very old edition in my bookcase. It was given to my Auntie Irene by her Aunt Vera and Uncle Chester for Christmas, 1908, one hundred and ten years ago. My mom wasn’t born yet. Auntie Irene gave it to me because I loved to read. I consider it a family treasure. :heart: It was originally published in 1868 according to Siri. I couldn't find a publication date inside the book.

The townhouse across the sidewalk from us is being worked on by the carpenters that installed our new windows. They found lots of dry rot under the neighbor’s siding and have a major job underway to get the house fully repaired. We were lucky and had no dry rot to deal with other than some decay that was isolated to the inside of one of the windows we had replaced. We had work done several years ago, and that work evidently was a huge help for our home’s structural integrity now. Yay!!!

Katla, who is counting her blessings.
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,667 Member
    Options
    m9l9ble6xmgb.jpeg
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,650 Member
    Options
    :)
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,667 Member
    Options
    stats for the day:

bike ride hm 2 gym- 7.19min, 12.9amph, 1.5mi= 98c
    0 RUNNER- 50min, 128ahr, 150mhr, 9.40min mi, lvl8, 15h, 130c, 15l, 5.23mi= 401c
    core work- 3.01min, 2sts of 15 ea, situps, leg exten.= 21c
    ride gym 2 dome- 5.32min, 16.3amph, 1.4mi= 67c
    ride puy 2 sumn station- 14.09min, 12.9amph, 3mi= 160c
    jog sta 2 wk- 4.44min, 9.24min mi, .5mi= 71c
    jog wk 2 sumn sta- 4.10min, 9.10min mi, .4mi= 66c
    bike ride dome 2 hm- 18.54min 8.2amph, 2.5mi= 201c

total cal 1085
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,380 Member
    Options
    Did Jari Love’s Ripped and Chiseled DVD. The plan for tomorrow is to take the water class.

Supposed to volunteer at the Green Room today. Tonight I’d like to go to the local (cheap) movie theater to see “First Man”.

Trucker – isn’t the saying “life’s always greener over the septic tank”? Wonder why that song has you putting lime down?

Sarah – you reminded me of when my kids were little and played soccer. You’d see the ball go down the field and then this mass of children would follow the ball. I’m so sorry you had such a difficult childhood

Sharon – the reason your husband came in second reminded me of how my father didn’t like my husband when we were dating. What was wrong with him? Well, for one thing he wasn’t Polish, plus he had long hair, and sin of all sins he wasn’t Catholic. My grandmother just kept saying to my father “leave him alone, he has good manners”. We’ve been married 40 years!

Marilyn – (((HUGS)))

Margaret – sending good thoughts your way

Barbie – how thoughtful of Jake to invite your neighbors to Thanksgiving.

Volunteered at the Green Room then went to Dollar General. They have these Hot Wheels or Matchbox cars on sale BOGO so I got some for Toys for Tots

Went to see the movie “First Man”. I didn’t expect it to end when it did. The movie was OK, I was just surprised to see that in FL in July, his wife was wearing long sleeves. You saw leaves but didn’t see any palm trees, this is FL!

Barbie – knowing you, you’ll be back to teaching in no time at all.

Cari – I keep a Word document open, write down my responses, and then cut & paste the whole thing. You can use the recipe app here to figure out the calories. How long have you been in TX?

Michele in NC
  • cariwaldick
    cariwaldick Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I printed out the gratitude calendar--then lost it. I just printed another one.
    1. Smell: Heating elements. My dryer, fireplace, and furnace give off an odor. It's not exactly pleasant, but it's a reminder that I'm spoiled, and with cold weather we can have heat at the touch of a button.
    2. Technology: My computer is my connection to the rest of the world. facebook connects me to family and friends, and all the wonders of the web are at my fingertips.
    3. Color: The white, yellow, apricot, and pink of my Peace roses. They're still blooming, and each one seems to be a different color combination.
    4. Food: I can't name just one. I love all those go-to foods that work on my diet. I especially love my Dannon light Greek yogurt. Roasted butternut and acorn squash easily beats out chips and candy, and soy milk is replacing my milk addiction.
    5. Sound: Music. I love so many kinds of music. I'm hard of hearing, and I don't ever want to lose that.
    6. Nature: I love the renewal of the seasons. The cycle of growth, harvest, and near-dead is a rhythm of life.
    7. Memory: Yesterday I had choir practice at church. I met a new member, and she mentioned that her last choir director was a "taskmaster." I knew what she meant, because my last church had a director who was a perfectionist. I miss that. I love working hard to perfect a piece, and feeling confident when we present it. I just haven't felt that here. They're more relaxed and laid-back, and do simpler music.
    8. Book: I've always been a reader, and books took me so many places. I could name dozens of books. I loved The Shack by William Young. I love the Xanth series by Piers Anthony. Up until A Spell for Chameleon, I never knew fantasy existed. I was a poor kid in Ohio, and getting my reading fix meant wandering the library, and shopping at yard sales. Until then, I'd read mostly Harlequin romances and school books. Shortly after I discovered Stephen King, and fell in love with everything he wrote. (Not so much the movies.) Lately I've been writing, and haven't had as much time to read. I've written four novels I hope to publish someday.
  • DanaReel180
    DanaReel180 Posts: 463 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    We had a nice fire tonight in the fireplace and the rain was hitting the skylights, so it was a pleasant evening with my DH!

I went to lunch with a woman from our Sunday school class.
    I had grilled cheese sandwich and a delicious mug of pumpkin soup. It was really good!
    She seemed like she needs a friend and someone to talk to. Her husband of 35 years has dementia and in a wheelchair. They came from Tampa and don’t know many people and have been in Hot Springs as long as us. I was surprised to hear of her story of not having a family except her husband. She is half Korean and she was put in an orphanage in Korea when born but her father, US military, found her and brought her home.

My daughter in Panama City had help getting fencing panels back up so she can get her dogs home. She’s back in a condo at the beach on the 15th floor. The air in the house is not good and we’re making her sick. The kids’ school is opened now. The grandkids are happy about that!
    The hurricane wiped out everything. All the trees are gone. The historical old mansions along St Andrews Bay are still there, but the old oaks with the Spanish moss are not. The pines are snapped off like toothpicks. Eventually the yards will be replanted and trees replaced and the people will still be there!

Memories My grandparents, my parents are now gone. I think of them a lot.
    I think about growing up in San Diego and swimming at the beach. The big waves pounding me in the sand and turning me around like a washing machine! I would hold my breath and see the sunlight and just hope I would make it back up to catch a breath!!
    I was always swimming as a kid and I still love to swim!

Favorite Book as a child I liked Heidi, Black Beauty, but I like studying the Bible the most.

Have a great Friday!!
    Dana In Arkansas

My DH walking thru the cornflakes while Dolly is watching.
    3h8y89fzim0h.jpeg
  • SarahKratos
    SarahKratos Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Michele- thanks. You must have also had great fun watching soccer :) I can picture that!

My favorite book was one we had to read at school. That was then, This is now. It was made into a movie. Young men in bad home situations and choices that forever changed their adult lives.

I'm exercising daily. I started swinging a Kettle bell. Anyone here have advice on that? My calories are usually under my daily 1230 and exercise. I saved my calories all day because we went to a Hamburger cookout.

:) Sarah
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    <3
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,107 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    Machka9 wrote: »
    My sister-in-law posted this and I thought it was good ...

lkzkyg4kxd5w.png

So ...

Nov 1 - my roses. :)
    Nov 2 - social media and staying connected with family and friends.
    Nov 3 - blue. The blue of the mouth of the river/bay/start of the ocean out my window. The blue of the sky. My new blue sleeping top that was nice and comfy last night.
    Nov 4 - food ... cheese. I ate a lot of grilled cheese sandwiches when my husband was in hospital. They were my comfort food. Also cheese has calcium which I think I need. Unfortunately, cheese does tend to be a bit high in calories so I shouldn't eat too much of it. But anything cheese-y is comforting. :)
    Nov 5 - sound. I like listening to the waves and the birds, but I think the sound I'm most grateful for today is my husband's voice. Just the fact that we can talk to each other again. :)
    Nov 6 - "What in nature are you grateful for?" ... That's hard to narrow down to one thing. Oxford dictionary describes nature as "the phenomena of the physical world collectively, including plants, animals, the landscape, and other features and products of the earth". I am grateful for all of it. I find that getting out into any sort of nature helps to relieve stress.

Nov 7 - "What memory are you grateful for?" ... Another one with so many choices!!! Recently, I've been grateful for two memories. 1) June 2017 ... my husband and I had a wonderful visit to Canada and did several things to make great memories ... hiking, cycling, visiting my family. I clung onto those memories during the months he was in hospital. 2) When I was 9 years old, my family moved away from where my grandmother lived. One of of the last days there, my grandmother took me to her window and showed me a full moon outside. She told me that on every full moon, we could both look at it and know that even though we were far apart, we were both looking at the same moon. That's a memory which has stuck with me all these years, and every time I see a full moon, I think of my grandmother. She's 97 years old ... but not doing so well ... so I've been thinking of her a lot. And I've also been very glad that my husband and I were able to see her when we visited Canada in June 2017.
    Nov 8 - "What book are you most grateful for?" That's easy ... The Bible. :)

I've enjoyed reading all your memories. :)

Love the discussion about books! :)

Nov 9 - "What place are you most grateful for?" This is not an easy one for me because I don't have the sense of "home" that many people have. I've moved too much for that.

So ... I've had to give this one some thought.

What place?

Well ...

I'm grateful for our current house. It's comfortable enough. It's not very big so it's fairly easy to manage. And it has a great garden which my husband has been able to work in since returning home from his accident. It is also close to a couple beaches, which is nice. :)

Machka in Oz

• auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,512 Member
    Options
    The Y and Z swapped places on my iphone. Was driving me nutz. Finally googled it. I'd hit the keyboard language icon by mistake. Easy fix, silly me!

7: memories of the every-other-year road trips from California to St. Louis and Kansas City to visit relatives. Mama and Papa routed us through a different national park or wonder each time. Grand canyon, Yellowstone, Royal Gorge... yet some of my fondest memories are of the most uncomfortable times. Back in before A/C Papa miscalculated and we ended up, going through the desert mid-day. The dog and I thought we were going to die, but were saved by a thunderstorm just outside Flagstaff at sunset.
    8: To Build a Land by Sally Watson then Exodus by Leon Uris. As an even younger child also loved Champion Dog Prince Tom. As an adult I re-read the Susan Conant and Charlotte MacLeod mysteries when I'm feeling low.

Sharon and Lanette, we are at about 600ft elevation too. Got a couple of dustings our first winter. So long as I never have to walk on ice again, I'm content!
    Lisa Brava for your decision not to put of surgery any more, even for all staff meetings. Brava!
    Margaret fingers X'd.
    Karen in VA love Michener's The Source, thanks for the reminder. Time to re-read.
    Barbie you've found so much positive even in the midst of chaos. Inspiring!
    NYKaren I didn't find the Narnia series until I was a page in the Children's Library, but OH the magic of pushing through coats in a wardrobe and coming out into the forest!!! Likewise MacDonald's Princess and the Goblin, Princess and Curdie
    Lanette could you send a link for the stovetop fan? Just discovered Jan Karon this year and blazed through the entire series. Good stuff.
    Tracey I used to sleep with my clothes in the sleeping bag at Campfire Girls camp because it was sooo chilly in the morning. One of my favorite Yosemite trip memories was the time the snow knocked out power to the cabin. When we woke up there was ice on the insides of the windows. My BFF's mom opened up her suitcase and said "now what ELSE can we put on?" She was very comic and we warmed up by laughing.
    Lisa Robert Heinlein juveniles! Ah the golden age (13 yrs) of Science Fiction! RAH is a lifelong fave.

Did second SWSY this am (yay me!) Line dance class cancelled tonight as nearly half couldn't come. Had to do two Leslie Sansomes to just make minimum steps and now I'm pooped!

Lighter, lovelies!
    f8qt1s098sxm.gifBarbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD.
    walk one more step 8/8, 60 g protein 6/8, rx/vits 8/8, meditate 7/8, knee exercises 8/8, play with Tumble 5/8, core 3/8, SWSY UP 3/8, SWSY LOW 2/8, hang up or purge art 0/4 AF 6/8.