December 2018 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• Tramboman
    Tramboman Posts: 2,482 Member
    Options
    @eleanorhawkins Have faith in yourself and your training. Once the gun sounds all those negative thoughts will disappear and you'll be fine.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    kgirlhart wrote: »
    @eleanorhawkins I think this is the best place for those rambling doubts. We understand them unlike our non-running friends and family.

Truth.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    MobyCarp wrote: »
    mbaker566 wrote: »
    i despise smart goals. idk why but i cringe whenever i hear them referenced. they make me irrationally angry.

I know exactly why SMART goals make me irrationally angry. Some consultant sold the idea to my employer, and we had to use SMART goals for the employee review process. For my entire career, the employee review process was full of dishonesty, doublespeak, and corporate BS. It never much related to the actual job. So when we had SMART goals for the review, they weren't really specific, they were marginally measurable, making them attainable meant sacrificing on other letters, if they came from the top they weren't realistic, and the only thing really timely about them was they had to match up to the review cycle timeline.

So even though I know rationally it's a reasonable way to structure goals, I can't look at it because of the memory of perversion by Corporate America (not to name a specific employer.)

yeah, that about covers it.
  • amirahdaboss
    amirahdaboss Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    I think I’m gonna keep my goal of 50 miles again for this month. I’m gonna aim for 55-60 miles, but the first half of December is gonna be finals and tons of stress so I guess I’ll have to see how it goes. The good news is my winter break lasts all the way until the end of January so I’m gonna run lots!
    I’m debating signing up for my first HM at the end of March. I want to take that leap and sign up but I’m scared i won’t be ready. The furthest I’ve ever run is 6.5 miles and I do find myself walking still when it gets tough. Do you think 16 weeks is manageable? My family thinks I’m nuts so they aren’t really any help
  • AmyOutOfControl
    AmyOutOfControl Posts: 1,425 Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    December goal miles = 150

I know I will get at least 150 miles in. So, my goal is 150?

Really, I just want to get my two 20 mile training runs for the Miami Marathon finished and stay injury free. I have a half on 12/15 but I will be running it for fun. I am paranoid that if I try to race it I will injure myself and not be able to run the marathon in January.

@eleanorhawkins you got this! I hope you have fun :)

Upcoming Races:
    12/15 = Stars at Night Half
    1/26/19 = Miami Tropical 5K
    1/27/19 = Miami Marathon
    3/10/19 = ZOOMA half
    5/4/19 = Wisconsin Marathon (mittens challenge part 1)
    5/5/19 = Kalamazoo Marathon (mittens challenge part 2)
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    Options
    @Avidkeo @Tramboman @kgirlhart and everyone else thanks for the encouragement! I have a feeling I'll be even worse next week, but luckily (for you all at least lol) I'm taking a couple of days' break in the countryside to hopefully catch up on some sleep and relax beforehand, and as I can't access the forum from my phone (long story, Spanish app sends me to Spanish forums) you won't have to put up with my rambling doubts ;-) Plan is to head out there Wednesday afternoon, come home on Saturday morning switch cases head for the city hit the race expo pick up pack look at the Xmas lights stay in hotel try to sleep run/walk all the miles eat all the doughnuts. Then maybe take a shower

@eleanorhawkins I don't use the app, I go to the webpage in my browser on my phone. It displays so much better and I don't keep having the done vs post reply mix up. Also can post pics from there lol. I hate the app for the forums.

That's my way of saying ramble away. I certainly did before mine bahaha