WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR DECEMBER 2018

eqmnmiao7axa.pngtonbv8kp8h0c.jpg63ywluw96epb.jpg

:) A new month has always been a good time for me to make a new start of habits, behaviours, and attitudes. I hope you will join me on this journey to health and fitness.

:) I have enjoyed the companionship of Women Ages 50+ for a long time and my life is better because of that.

:) If you made any goals of resolutions for November, how did you do?

:) If you have goals or resolutions for December, please share them with us.

:) Be sure to bookmark this page so you can find it again.

:) If you sign your post with a name or nickname and a location, we can get to know each other better.

1031910m5uhc2jyfc.gif Barbie from beautiful NW Washington

My word for 2018 is "tenacity".

Resolutions for November (with end of the month comments)
*finish planting bulbs (finished and I resisted the impulse to buy more)
*never give up on scanning project ( continuing slowly but consistently)
*make new line dance music CD (finished and being used to teach new dances)

Resolutions for December
*continue with the never ending scanning project
*knit five or more snowflake hats to be donated
*finish writing my list of "19 for 2019"
*choose a word for 2019

Replies

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,435 Member
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,311 Member
    You know, that appetizer was gone in no time at all! Most of the desserts (if not all of them) were store bought. How sad! I only had the cheesecake since I don't get it very much. But I was so surprised that my appetizer went as quickly as it did. Funny thing is...it's really not difficult at all to make

Michele in NC
  • suebdew
    suebdew Posts: 1,330 Member
    Michele - the appetizer looks wonderful. You are very creative.
    Played golf today but got tired after 15 holes. Came home and napped for an hour.
    Thanks Barbie for the new month.
    SueBDew in TX
  • cariwaldick
    cariwaldick Posts: 189 Member
    Barbie—Thanks for starting the new thread. I'm not much for resolutions, but goals are good. My goal is to get under 200 lbs by the end of the year. I'm so close now, it should happen as long as I don't fall off the wagon. I want to add exercise, but with the way my back has been aching, I'm not sure I'll be able to do it. I've been walking more, even if it's just pushing a cart around the grocery store. I also want to clean up my sewing room, and clear the table so I can get back to sewing and/or quilting. I've got a couple bags of food from the pantry I've been meaning to drop off at a food pantry. And I still need to schedule my colonoscopy. That should all be doable.

Bonnie—I can empathize with being a couch potato. I'm not usually on the couch, but I am a fixture in my chair in front of my computer. I just started riding my old bicycle recently, and I wobble a lot. I'm not as sure as I used to be, and I feel stiff. My hands go numb from gripping the handlebars, and I have to shake the circulation back in every few minutes. Clean eating sounds like a good plan. I'm trying to do more of that, but my go-to foods tend to be processed: light yogurt, diet bread, and low-cal snack bars. I try to limit the empty carbs, but the convenience is hard to beat.

Michelle—I often carry my crocheting projects around with me. I work on them anytime I have to wait—like at the Dr. office, church, or choir practice. The loom pieces tend to curl on the ends, so a border would help them lie flat. I wish I had somewhere to send hats, since I love making those on the loom. Texas doesn't have much knit hat weather.

I made a chocolate eclair dessert for the party tomorrow. I've decided to dip strawberries in chocolate as well, since five of us are going. I wish the hostess had asked for something else—chocolate is so hard for me to resist. I already logged a tenth of a piece, since I licked the bowl and spoon. I've got an idea for the strawberries to keep them from looking messy as they dry. I'm going to use my ornament hooks to skewer them by the stem, dip them in chocolate, and hang them on a dowel to dry.

I'm going to miss the gratitude calendar. Maybe there's something else we could do for December.

Cari in N. Texas
  • linder4866
    linder4866 Posts: 11,047 Member
    <3<3
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    I have been busy and missed chatting for a few days but I log every bite every day. I’m amazed at how much that I missed here! I did okay with my goals last month. My weight did go up and down a bit due to stress eating. :embarassed:

I am looking forward to another visit from my niece and her son a week from tomorrow. They’ll be here to watch the annual Christmas Ships parade. I hope the boaters have good weather for it and we can enjoy their wonderful lighted boats. These are pleasure craft, not sea going ships.

Happy December! These are my resolutions every month. They work for me:

December 2018 Resolutions

1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week. Work on strength and stamina.
    3. Have fun every day.
    4. Drink at least 3 glasses of water a day.
    5. Monitor sleep. Average 7 or more hours nightly.
    6. Avoid alcohol.

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon

You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream.
    C. S. Lewis
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,127 Member
    I often wear the elasticated arch supports I buy from Amazon around the house, though recently I haven't needed to wear them all the time. They have been life savers. I have slip on velvet pumps as slippers. I wear orthotics or arch supports in my outdoor shoes, apart from my running trainers, which are New Balance and have good arch support. I have pronation, but have been doing arch support exercises, which seems to have helped. I just do them on the couch while I'm watching TV, along with pelvic floor. I still do face exercises while I am on my machines!
    Today I have some replacement trainers arriving as it's 11 months since I started running. I'm getting the same ones and relegating the old ones to walking shoes. (You are not meant to wear your running shoes for general wear) I will have to mark the old ones in some way so I can tell which is which! New running socks arriving Monday. My old ones have holes in them.

It's becoming common in the UK to remove your shoes when you enter a house, though not universal as it is in Scandinavia. Most of my friends automatically do. I have some hotel slippers somewhere in my boxes to offer people, though many are happy in socks. I often take my slippers to houses. I think it's a great habit, but sometimes it means I can't wear a particular outfit, like a mid length skirt, because it only looks right with the right length boots. On occasion I find this frustrating, though I usually wear trousers (pants). What is the norm in the US? ??
    I think I will buy myself some new velvet slippers for Christmas. :D And some more arch supports.

Lanette - I woke up at 4.15 this morning worrying about the catering etc for all the guests. I'm trying to make it easy on myself, but I haven't made my lists yet. DH's elder daughter, who is coming with her boyfriend next Sunday, last time we visited them, put on a huge roast dinner with all the trimmings, two different meats etc, plus two home baked pies. She was very stressed and worn out.!!!! I don't want to emulate that, but I do feel I ought to do good home cooking. The boyfriend is a traditional man in his eating. No veg. Nothing too fancy. He likes dessert. :laugh:
    My elder son will be happy with anything. :D Staying two nights. I hope to get him together with the grandkids etc, so that could be fish and chips.
    The kids and family I will have to give some thought to as we are out to see Father Christmas in the morning. There won't be time to cook, but the adults could have soup before the cold buffet. I think I might do a melted chocolate fruit dip for dessert, with lots of sprinkles. I will cover everything with plastic!!!
    DH's younger daughter, sister and boyfriend, the following day, is another challenge. He is veggie and doesn't like mushrooms. I think I might do two curries, one lamb and one veggie. The sister etc will be staying over, so another meal!
    It is now 6.30 am and I am still pondering.
    DON'T LET THE PERFECT BE THE ENEMY OF THE GOOD.

On top of all that we are still struggling with boxes. I must clear the guest room/my study at the top of the house so we have somewhere to put people. I will also have to vacate that/my bathroom while they are here.
    I have to remind myself how lucky I am to have so many people who want to see us and are prepared to travel long distances to do so. We are loved. That is the important thing.
    My word for 2018 was EMBRACE. Very appropriate. I will bear that in mind over the next few weeks. :D:D:D

Thank you Barbie for setting us off again.

Much love to all, Heather UK xxxxxxx

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,707 Member
    2018 Monthly -- November
    Walking Distance (km): 124.6
    Walking Time (min): 1334.8
    Cycling Distance (km): 92.2
    Cycling Time (min): 362.3
    Stairs Climbed Number: 108.0
    Stairs Climbed Time (min): 86.4
    Other Time: 20.0 (weightlifting)

Totals
    Total Distance (km): 216.8
    Total Distance (miles): 134.7
    Total Time (min): 1803.4
    Total Time (hr): 30:03:25

December ...

More exercise than in November.
    Finish my current uni course.
    Keep on top of stuff at work.
    Survive all the medical appointments (mostly my husband's) this month.

Machka in Oz
  • Machka9
    barbiecat wrote: »
    *finish writing my list of "19 for 2019"

What is a list of 19 for 2019?

I often wear the elasticated arch supports I buy from Amazon around the house, though recently I haven't needed to wear them all the time. They have been life savers. I have slip on velvet pumps as slippers. I wear orthotics or arch supports in my outdoor shoes, apart from my running trainers, which are New Balance and have good arch support. I have pronation, but have been doing arch support exercises, which seems to have helped. I just do them on the couch while I'm watching TV, along with pelvic floor. I still do face exercises while I am on my machines!
    Today I have some replacement trainers arriving as it's 11 months since I started running. I'm getting the same ones and relegating the old ones to walking shoes. (You are not meant to wear your running shoes for general wear) I will have to mark the old ones in some way so I can tell which is which! New running socks arriving Monday. My old ones have holes in them.

It's becoming common in the UK to remove your shoes when you enter a house, though not universal as it is in Scandinavia. Most of my friends automatically do. I have some hotel slippers somewhere in my boxes to offer people, though many are happy in socks. I often take my slippers to houses. I think it's a great habit, but sometimes it means I can't wear a particular outfit, like a mid length skirt, because it only looks right with the right length boots. On occasion I find this frustrating, though I usually wear trousers (pants). What is the norm in the US? ??
    I think I will buy myself some new velvet slippers for Christmas. :D And some more arch supports.

In Australia, a lot of people wear flip flops or just go barefoot.

Machka in Oz

• reneinitaly7
    reneinitaly7 Posts: 15 Member
    Well, I am he, finally! In the last week or so, I have been lurking , but more so I have been tracking on MFP. I am very happy to be able to say that I made the switch from weight watchers and feel like the weight has been lifted from my shoulders.

My Dec goals are going to be easy as it is a month that we are super busy .
    💜 13000 steps daily
    💜 track daily
    💜 post and participate
  • Machka9
    Machka9 wrote: »
    2018 Monthly -- November
    Walking Distance (km): 124.6
    Walking Time (min): 1334.8
    Cycling Distance (km): 92.2
    Cycling Time (min): 362.3
    Stairs Climbed Number: 108.0
    Stairs Climbed Time (min): 86.4
    Other Time: 20.0 (weightlifting)

Totals
    Total Distance (km): 216.8
    Total Distance (miles): 134.7
    Total Time (min): 1803.4
    Total Time (hr): 30:03:25

December ...

More exercise than in November.
    Finish my current uni course.
    Keep on top of stuff at work.
    Survive all the medical appointments (mostly my husband's) this month.

Machka in Oz

Goal: More than November! In November I did 216.8 km (134.7 miles) = 30 hours 3 minutes

Past Decembers:
    Dec-15 … 499.91 km (282.8 miles) = 54 hours 56 min
    Dec-16 … 511.05 km (317.55 miles) = 52 hours 2 min
    Dec-17 … 553.5 km (343.9 miles) = 52 hours 12 min [/quote]

Saturday, 1 December 2018 ... 4 km run on the beach. Not so easy running on the beach, but I love the beach. :) Plus 8.4 km bicycle ride on road next to the beach. :)

2018 Monthly December
    Walking Distance (km): 4.0
    Walking Time (min): 30.0
    Cycling Distance (km): 8.5
    Cycling Time (min): 37.0
    Stairs Climbed Number: 0.0
    Stairs Climbed Time (min): 0.0

Totals
    Total Distance (km): 12.5
    Total Distance (miles): 7.8
    Total Time (min): 67.0
    Total Time (hr): 1:07:00

Machka in Oz
  • LisaInAR
    LisaInAR Posts: 2,020 Member
    Thank you, Barbie, for making sure we have this thread to go to each month! We're lucky to have you.

Heather, I asked my husband last night what was wrong with us, as while we were watching yet another home improvement show, yet another couple said, "We have to rip all this out, because we need to room to entertain." We don't entertain. Pretty much ever. So, I live vicariously through you. And, while I was not a "take your shoes off when you come in" person when we met, my husband the Alaskan was, so now we do that. Alaskan mud rooms are a thing, where there's a form of entryway where you can take off your boots and coats, etc., and it really does keep the house and rugs much cleaner. Since we don't entertain, we also don't go to other people's houses much either, so I have no idea if lots of other people do that.

Karen in VA, so sad for your grandson that he feels that way, and so happy he has you in his life!

My goals for December are - lose weight, get moving, enjoy the beginnings of the next chapter.

Time to start cleaning my work computer, making sure all my personal stuff is off of it, so I can ship it to the home office on Monday. Already copied all my things my fellow manager will need to the shared drive, which I can't access from my personal computer, so now it's just removing the rest and resetting it.

So, got a few things to finish this morning before I start the big cleanout.

Love y'all!
    Lisa in AR
  • spikeyhair
    spikeyhair Posts: 2,078 Member
    Thanks Barbie for Dec thread

Kate UK <3
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Happy December and thank you barbie for tearing the calendar page-goodbye November

My word for 2018 is S T R E T C H

November goals and how I did:

-before I pick up any food, stop and ask, am I hungry? is this a good choice?—I got mixed results here, at work I can really do this, at home not as great

-it is ok to say no to uncomfortable social situations and ok to say yes—I handled this really well this month

-maintain the habits that work, prepping food and exercise gear as a trigger for healthy behaviors—this is working well for me—woohoo

-journal every day and persiverate over the good in my life—this is working well for me—big woohooo

December goals:

-Reflect on the year and find a new word as a touch stone/inspiration

-breathe in the joy of the season and exhale the stress of the season
    As a music teacher this is imperative.

—continue using triggers that lead to healthy habits, food prep, gym bag packed etc

—journal every day

Happy Saturday everyone. NYKAREN
  • TubbyYO
    TubbyYO Posts: 51 Member
    Great thread!