December 2018 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    RoseAddow wrote: »
    I just started a new running challenge! Today was a short walk at a moderate pace. Starting my treadmill tomorrow and I’m stoked! I miss running like I used to haha. Anyone have suggestions on what incline I should use that’s good for a beginner but also not too easy? I’m thinking 2% but I could be wrong. Also please feel free to add me I just started on here today and could use an extra friend or two! 😁

So with the dreadmill here I highly suggest you et a fan that moves back and for. Set it up around your head level and point it at or across your face. This will help you breathe and make sure you are not standing in a cloud of bad air (not a problem when you run outside).

For now, since it sounds like you are starting at 0 leave the incline at 0% or 1% for now. Build slowly. Spend a few weeks experimenting with speeds, inclines, distances, and the like till you have an objective idea of where you really are. Then build from there.

IMO, YMMV, and all that. :)
  • Beka3695
    Beka3695 Posts: 4,126 Member
    Options
    12/1 4.37 Saguaro 7k
    12/2 8 Hot Chocolate 15k

Total 12.37 out of 100

I had a race scheduled this morning but I didn't go. I didn't sleep well but got up and started getting ready. I was about halfway through my oatmeal I started crying. I couldn't stop and was still crying when I should have been leaving. So needless to say I did not make it to the race. (For those not in the facebook group, I lost my dad about a month and a half ago very suddenly and unexpected. I didn't share here because it was extremely painful for me. It's still very hard)

I decided to go for my run this afternoon. My new training plan had 8-10 miles with 3x100m strides. I took it pretty easy for most of it. I ran two miles, walked .25, repeat until the strides at the end. I wasn't up for much more but I wanted to at least get the minimum of my scheduled miles.

So sorry it hit you hard today! Grief is a strange thing - hits you when you least expect it.

Prayers coming your way!!
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 5,969 Member
    Options

I had a race scheduled this morning but I didn't go. I didn't sleep well but got up and started getting ready. I was about halfway through my oatmeal I started crying. I couldn't stop and was still crying when I should have been leaving. So needless to say I did not make it to the race. (For those not in the facebook group, I lost my dad about a month and a half ago very suddenly and unexpected. I didn't share here because it was extremely painful for me. It's still very hard).

So sorry for your loss. Grief is not predictable and does pop up when you least expect it. Hugs and prayers.
  • AmyOutOfControl
    AmyOutOfControl Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »
    Carman’s Women’s Half Marathon 2018.

In my 4th Half Marathon event in 5 weeks today, I did my official HM PB!! 2:08:08.

After the previous Sunday’s beast of a HM (700m elevation), my legs were wrecked for 3 days, so I did an experiment and didn’t run for the whole week to give them proper rest. Success!!!

3whsze5q4zzi.jpeg

4uqryfcsk02i.jpeg

Love doing this event that's all women, in aid of breast cancer. Did the HM in 2016 which stood as my PB, until today.

@Orphia Congrats on the HM PB!
  • Beka3695
    Beka3695 Posts: 4,126 Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    MobyCarp wrote: »
    Group question: Is anyone doing the Run the Year challenge? (courtesy of @amymoreorless ).

I am doing Run the Year on a team with my RB. We are splitting 1008 evenly.
    I finished HUG A RUNNER with 38 miles over a 10 day period.

I am currently not on FB, but if the group is useful/helpful I will get back on.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    1---2.01
    2---2.0 TM

4/45 miles

Upcoming races
    January 5 BIRR Ultra relay. 50k. Hawaii. For @KeepRunningFatboy
    March 31, 2019 A2A Undecided distance. Ardmore OK
    April 28, 2019 OKC Memorial Marathon (half)

@MobyCarp It was kind of a 2019 goals question. But I wanted to know what everyone wants from 2019 and running. It's exciting knowing a year from now that we will be stronger physically and mentally. I also wanted to encourage folks to hang around for the year.

I won't be doing the Run the Year. I tried once and failed miserably. So. Maybe 2020. :wink:
  • Teerai
    Teerai Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    MobyCarp wrote: »
    Monthly question number 2
    Next year when you pop in here claiming your December 2019 mileage, what accomplishments will you have made?

That sounds suspiciously like, what are your 2019 goals? I haven't finalized those yet, but the top one will be to avoid injury. I haven't done well with that goal recently, though I've done good damage control in 2018.

Funny how we can see the same thing and think so differently.
    I thought this was asking what our 2018 accomplishments were.

• noblsheep
    noblsheep Posts: 584 Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    Air quality has been funky lately, and it doesn't look like it's getting any better for December. Plus *kitten* has hit the fan at work - people have been quitting left and right, and we are a small department so that's a lot of slack to pull. But meh, excuses. Going for 60km this month, with hopefully more lifting.

1201-6.2k total-6.2k, goal-60k

An hour on the dreadmill. Nuff said.

Monthly question 1: inspirations
    Y'all. What everybody else said.

Monthly question 2: 2019 goals
    Run more consistently. Averaging out at 25km a week would be nice. Oh and I'd really like to do a 50k trail race.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    Monthly question number 2
    Next year when you pop in here claiming your December 2019 mileage, what accomplishments will you have made?

I hesitate to set a "goal" perse. I would like to make a year without surgery or waiting surgery to fix my broke a-self. I'm up to two miles without pain or niggles. This could be the year!

And dont forget
    Group question #3: Is anyone doing the Run the Year challenge? (courtesy of @amymoreorless )
    If anyone wants to do it, but cant do it alone, i know there is a team option. I'm willing to join. I ran 340 miles so far this year, so I'd need a lot of help or a lotta team. :wink: