Worst advice you've seen on these boards

Options

Replies

• jvkh127
    jvkh127 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I wonder how many people we have on here that lift weights. I know that everyone that lifts weight have came to a weight that they couldn't lift A 3lb weight could seem easy to lift than a 5lb weight. A 5lb weight seemed easy to lift than a 10lb weight. There's a reason why true weight lifters couldn't just jump into lifting 25lb weights.

I lift weights and I am not going to lie to anyone and say that I had to work my way up the weights ladder. A true person will not lie.

I wonder if we have any personal trainers on here that can explain why people that lift weights have to work their way up the ladder.

Houston we have a problem!!

Yes, we do. My gut hurts. And my sides. From laughing my *kitten* off.

I have been massaging my cheeks because they hurt so much from laughing! I can at least thank everyone for making me smile tonight...Thanks all!!!
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    *shares popcorn with everyone*

Thanks! Want some cheesecake? It's staring at me...

What kind?

Actually, its one that has all different kinds in the package: white chocolate raspberry swirl, turtle, chocolate swirl, and plain. I plan on putting it right back in the freezer unless you guys help me eat it!

Give me some, I'm starting to turn into an emotional eater.
  • bry_all01
    bry_all01 Posts: 3,100 Member
    Options
    I know the answer. It's because the person who is supposed to be lifting the paper and the dumbell has Flintstone's Syndrome. They are very very sick and there is nothing science can yabba dabba do for them.

Best. Response. Ever.
  • bry_all01
    Options
    I wonder how many people we have on here that lift weights. I know that everyone that lifts weight have came to a weight that they couldn't lift A 3lb weight could seem easy to lift than a 5lb weight. A 5lb weight seemed easy to lift than a 10lb weight. There's a reason why true weight lifters couldn't just jump into lifting 25lb weights.

I lift weights and I am not going to lie to anyone and say that I had to work my way up the weights ladder. A true person will not lie.

I wonder if we have any personal trainers on here that can explain why people that lift weights have to work their way up the ladder.

Houston we have a problem!!

Yes, we do. My gut hurts. And my sides. From laughing my *kitten* off.

I have been massaging my cheeks because they hurt so much from laughing! I can at least thank everyone for making me smile tonight...Thanks all!!!

I have just one question for you............. "Jvkh127, why, you have such a small brain."
  • Flyntiggr
    Flyntiggr Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    :huh: Is anyone else completely speechless and baffled at this??

I sort of have a headache now and demand some kind of closure. I doubt we're going to get it though
    I'm hoping it has a happy ending.

BWAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!! :laugh:
  • nerdyandilikeit
    nerdyandilikeit Posts: 2,185 Member
    Options

What kind?

Actually, its one that has all different kinds in the package: white chocolate raspberry swirl, turtle, chocolate swirl, and plain. I plan on putting it right back in the freezer unless you guys help me eat it!

Take it! But leave me a plain piece. Weirdly, that's my fave.
  • bobbybdoe
    bobbybdoe Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    Take magic piss, eat 500 calories a day and not exercise.
  • frostiegurl
    frostiegurl Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    mzi.ldhfvzcq.170x170-75.jpg
  • llbird
    llbird Posts: 51
    Options
    For a while there I thought I had landed in the middle of a Monty Python Dead Parrot routine.
  • JNettie73
    JNettie73 Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    I give up.

good night.

i have to go to work in 4 hours... i work at a fitness center... should i start putting stacks of paper in the weight room instead of dumbbells??

wait.. will i be able to move them?

No. Actually, I think you may be better off with 10 lb bags of feathers and rice.
  • Jorra
    Options

What kind?

I'll take the turtle, but are nuts bad for me? They have so much fat!
  • bluevwgurl
    bluevwgurl Posts: 220 Member
    Options

i'll give this a stab...if i am in fact reading the question/information given correctly.

I lift weights. i started at 5 lb weights and they worked a-okay in the beginning. my muscles got stronger and the 5 lb weights no longer posed a challenge to my now stronger muscles. so i moved to 8 lb weights. same thing happened after a little while. it was not overnight, but after awhile, again, i moved to 10 lb weights. a little while later, here i am ready to move to 12 lb weights.

you didnt move up the weights ladder? does that mean you are not making progress?
    heres the answer to your last question, (no, i am not a personal trainer) weight lifters move up the "ladder" because they get stronger and the heavier weights pose more of a challenge to their muscles. thats the dumbed down version.
  • jvkh127
    Options
    [/quote]

I have just one question for you............. "Jvkh127, why, you have such a small brain."
    [/quote]

I don't know. Must be from not lifting all those heavier bags of rice I was just sticking to the feathers all this time....go figure!
  • nerdyandilikeit
    nerdyandilikeit Posts: 2,185 Member
    Options
    For a while there I thought I had landed in the middle of a Monty Python Dead Parrot routine.

This may be better...almost!
  • AZackery
    AZackery Posts: 2,035 Member
    Options
    Holy Moly!

Well usually because you start with the weight you can lift, and then move up as you gain more strength. Three pounds is lighter than five, five is lighter than 10, etc. And the sky is blue. What the heck does this have to do with your very wrong assertion that 10 pounds of fat is heavier than 10 pounds of mucsle? 10 pounds is STILL 10 pounds.

Flyntiggr, if a person can pick up a 10lb pack of copying paper, then they should be able to pick up a 10lb dumbbell, right? After all 10lbs = 10lbs.

Some people that can pick up a 10lb pack of copying paper, can't pick up a 10lb dumbbell. To them the dumbbell is heavy.

I know a lot of people on here are trying to make it seem as if I am stupid and they have to live with their opinion. But, I know that two things can weigh the same and one be heavier. Just like two people can weigh the same and one look smaller.

I have been lifting copying paper for years. It was nothing for me, but I had to work my way up to 10lb weights.
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Options
    *munches popcorn*

can you please pass the bowl>? I'll share my wine....

Speaking of the bowl...
    *spark* :laugh:

*holds hand out, waiting*
    [/quote]
  • frostiegurl
    frostiegurl Posts: 708 Member
    Options

What kind?

I'll take the turtle, but are nuts bad for me? They have so much fat!

But fat isn't as heavy as muscle so it doesn't count. I think.

I'm so very confused.
  • bry_all01
    Options

i'll give this a stab...if i am in fact reading the question/information given correctly.

I lift weights. i started at 5 lb weights and they worked a-okay in the beginning. my muscles got stronger and the 5 lb weights no longer posed a challenge to my now stronger muscles. so i moved to 8 lb weights. same thing happened after a little while. it was not overnight, but after awhile, again, i moved to 10 lb weights. a little while later, here i am ready to move to 12 lb weights.

you didnt move up the weights ladder? does that mean you are not making progress?
    heres the answer to your last question, (no, i am not a personal trainer) weight lifters move up the "ladder" because they get stronger and the heavier weights pose more of a challenge to their muscles. thats the dumbed down version.

See, your response makes sense, BUT her original question did not. She asked how it was that a person who can pick up a 10 pound ream of copy paper could not also pick up a 10 pound dumbell.....So, her own response did not match her own question.
  • Jorra
    Options
    Holy Moly!

Well usually because you start with the weight you can lift, and then move up as you gain more strength. Three pounds is lighter than five, five is lighter than 10, etc. And the sky is blue. What the heck does this have to do with your very wrong assertion that 10 pounds of fat is heavier than 10 pounds of mucsle? 10 pounds is STILL 10 pounds.

Flyntiggr, if a person can pick up a 10lb pack of copying paper, then they should be able to pick up a 10lb dumbbell, right? After all 10lbs = 10lbs.

Some people that can pick up a 10lb pack of copying paper, can't pick up a 10lb dumbbell. To them the dumbbell is heavy.

I know a lot of people on here are trying to make it seem as if I am stupid and they have to live with their opinion. But, I know that two things can weigh the same and one be heavier. Just like two people can weigh the same and one look smaller.

I have been lifting copying paper for years. It was nothing for me, but I had to work my way up to 10lb weights.

Like I asked earlier, were you doing reps with these reams? You FELT the dumbbell was heavier because you THOUGHT it should be heavy. Your mind is messing with you, and with the rest of us. If you're so adamant in your opinion, let's give this thing closure and agree to disagree. Please, for the love of god.
  • jvkh127
    Options
    Holy Moly!

Okay so serious question here. Were you lifting the paper with two hands and then lifting the 10 lb weight with one hand? No seriously were you? Just asking.....

*going to her happy place*