Why did you come to the conclusion to lose weight?

Replies

• MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    I think when I broke through my all time high on the scale, that was a warning sign for me. I had always plateaued around 225 (which was still plenty overweight), but I seemed never to break through it. But then a steady diet of food delivery along with no exercise broke through it. Once I was about 10 pounds over that, I realized that if I didn't change my habits, there was no theoretical "max weight" I could weigh, and I would keep gaining.
  • 1pandabear
    1pandabear Posts: 336 Member
    My motivation built up from several things. Other than general self-loathing for my unshapely obesity, my nearly dangerous high blood pressure, my nearly pre-diabetic A1C test result, and my inability to fit in my newish "fat clothes" - the final spur was debilitating depression. I need the inspiration of a better body image; also as you know plenty of research has shown that exercise has the effect of somewhat lifting depression.
    I'd like to add that while the larger models now in fashion are beautiful and well proportioned, unfortunately my fat distribution is not at all appealing or feminine (but if I needed it, would be a great birth control method! haha.)
  • HDBKLM
    HDBKLM Posts: 466 Member
    bump
  • yamijim
    yamijim Posts: 1 Member
    edited December 2018
    Sick of having to keep buying new clothes and not fitting into my favorite stuff.

Oh and I thought I was just sub 200, hit the scale (DREAD) and was over 210.
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,325 Member
    mnbell2013 wrote: »
    I am 24 years old. I was in an unhealthy relationship for 3.5 years combined (we split up in August 2016, I moved home, we reconnected in March 2017). During those 7 months apart, I'd begun to work on myself by losing much of the weight I'd gained over the course of our relationship. When we decided to get back together, I instantly abandoned my healthy living habits out of convenience' sake, and because many of our disagreements ended with me going to pick up dinner as a way to comfort us and smooth things over. Within 4 months of moving back in with him, I'd gained back all the weight I'd lost during our time apart and then some, going from 168lbs to 203 (I'm 5'5"). In the year that followed, I continued to gain, topping out at 227.8lbs on August 18th, 2018. I'd known for years that I needed to lose the extra weight, but the past year really drove this home for me. I was out of shape, sweaty, busting out of most of my clothes, and depressed. Between the struggles of my relationship and trying to adjust to a new job, I was miserable. My journey restarted on 8/18 and I have lost nearly 23lbs since then. This morning I weighed in at 205lbs and plan to get back down to 145.

About a month into this process, in mid-September, my boyfriend and I broke up amicably and I again returned home. It was obvious throughout the entire relationship that we were incompatible, but we both forced ourselves to stick with it out of comfort and fear of being alone. After moving out, I ramped up my weight loss efforts by taking up running (thanks to the movie "From Fat to Finish Line" for the initial inspiration!). I also sought help for the obsessive-compulsive disorder I've lived with since my mid-teens, which became worse following the stress of my breakup. I'm looking forward to my college graduation in April (associate's degree) and would like to purchase a house in the next couple years while I continue my education.

Despite the gloominess I've felt about the end of my relationship and being single again, I also feel an incredible sense of freedom. Though he was my best friend, my ex was very controlling at times. For instance, I put off joining the gym for years because he didn't agree with my choice to join, saying that I should put the time into housework or doing physical tasks around the house to get active instead. I always felt on edge and could never truly open up to him, as it seemed like he'd take a negative attitude toward anything I said. Plus, I love affection and always wished he felt the same, which he did not. To this day I tell myself that yes, while I lost a friend, I did not truly lose a boyfriend because our relationship lacked intimacy and love. While I try not to blame him for my weight gain during our time together (I know I'm the only one who can control what I eat), I do feel I caved more often than I should have due to arguments, stress, and overall dissatisfaction, using food as a comfort. My biggest challenge will be maintaining my healthy habits in future relationships, especially since I would like to have children down the road.

So I guess my answer to the original question would be...I began losing weight to get my life back. I lost 70lbs during my senior year of high school and kept it off for a couple years before this whole situation began, and I feel like my leaner, active self was the "true" me. I want to return to this.

wow. congratulations. this is an amazing thing you have done - keep up the great work and give yourself a pat on the back for your bravery.

• Adui13
    Adui13 Posts: 48 Member
    yamijim wrote: »
    Sick of having to keep buying new clothes and not fitting into my favorite stuff.

Oh and I thought I was just sub 200, hit the scale (DREAD) and was over 210.

THAT was prety much me. Oh Im 5'5 and should weigh about 150.. When I went over 210 I decided enough was enough I wantto do the things I used to do but cant now..
  • lillyy23
    lillyy23 Posts: 136 Member
    urloved33 wrote: »
    mnbell2013 wrote: »
    I am 24 years old. I was in an unhealthy relationship for 3.5 years combined (we split up in August 2016, I moved home, we reconnected in March 2017). During those 7 months apart, I'd begun to work on myself by losing much of the weight I'd gained over the course of our relationship. When we decided to get back together, I instantly abandoned my healthy living habits out of convenience' sake, and because many of our disagreements ended with me going to pick up dinner as a way to comfort us and smooth things over. Within 4 months of moving back in with him, I'd gained back all the weight I'd lost during our time apart and then some, going from 168lbs to 203 (I'm 5'5"). In the year that followed, I continued to gain, topping out at 227.8lbs on August 18th, 2018. I'd known for years that I needed to lose the extra weight, but the past year really drove this home for me. I was out of shape, sweaty, busting out of most of my clothes, and depressed. Between the struggles of my relationship and trying to adjust to a new job, I was miserable. My journey restarted on 8/18 and I have lost nearly 23lbs since then. This morning I weighed in at 205lbs and plan to get back down to 145.

About a month into this process, in mid-September, my boyfriend and I broke up amicably and I again returned home. It was obvious throughout the entire relationship that we were incompatible, but we both forced ourselves to stick with it out of comfort and fear of being alone. After moving out, I ramped up my weight loss efforts by taking up running (thanks to the movie "From Fat to Finish Line" for the initial inspiration!). I also sought help for the obsessive-compulsive disorder I've lived with since my mid-teens, which became worse following the stress of my breakup. I'm looking forward to my college graduation in April (associate's degree) and would like to purchase a house in the next couple years while I continue my education.

Despite the gloominess I've felt about the end of my relationship and being single again, I also feel an incredible sense of freedom. Though he was my best friend, my ex was very controlling at times. For instance, I put off joining the gym for years because he didn't agree with my choice to join, saying that I should put the time into housework or doing physical tasks around the house to get active instead. I always felt on edge and could never truly open up to him, as it seemed like he'd take a negative attitude toward anything I said. Plus, I love affection and always wished he felt the same, which he did not. To this day I tell myself that yes, while I lost a friend, I did not truly lose a boyfriend because our relationship lacked intimacy and love. While I try not to blame him for my weight gain during our time together (I know I'm the only one who can control what I eat), I do feel I caved more often than I should have due to arguments, stress, and overall dissatisfaction, using food as a comfort. My biggest challenge will be maintaining my healthy habits in future relationships, especially since I would like to have children down the road.

So I guess my answer to the original question would be...I began losing weight to get my life back. I lost 70lbs during my senior year of high school and kept it off for a couple years before this whole situation began, and I feel like my leaner, active self was the "true" me. I want to return to this.

wow. congratulations. this is an amazing thing you have done - keep up the great work and give yourself a pat on the back for your bravery.

oh my goodness i agree i kind of want to cry because I understand how she feels.I felt like I also could never get to a healthy weight because of my relationships too. Now I finally can be happy I found someone who supports my weight loss goals. It is truely hard for someone to understand -- like being on a calorie deficit sometimes feels like forever. And they want us to be a little more flexible, or like "its enough" but we havent reached goal yet.
  • hclay25
    hclay25 Posts: 32 Member
    I just got out of a break up and needed to focus on myself. I am almost 10 pounds down from last month so I’m at a good start. I’m hoping to lose 60 pounds.
  • I started to notice I was gaining weight after I had gotten below my prepregnancy weight. I didn't want to look pregnant or bigger than what I already was. I also had a relative ask me if I was having another baby. I didn't ask him why but I just knew. I've also noticed how my husband & I have been eating lately. I don't like watching him do that to his body & I'm sure he probably feels the same way.
  • Amortentiax
    Amortentiax Posts: 27 Member
    My newest AHA moment was when I started getting horrible back pain. Also, how hard it is for me to reach some things while at work.
  • ttugurl
    ttugurl Posts: 23 Member
    I have been a yoyoer since college in 2002, when I weighed 220. I thought that was huge, so I lost it with the gym and stayed under 200, which was my safe number. Lost even more down to 160s, prior to my wedding. Now I'm 257ish and can't believe I have to lose about 100lbs. I'm a size 24 and can't believe I have to get into a 26 or beyond. Then my upper body started numbing here and there. My work clothes is pretty bad. I have lost 17lb by myself, gained it then with weight watchers lost it again, now I am back at 258.
  • lillyy23
    hclay25 wrote: »
    I just got out of a break up and needed to focus on myself. I am almost 10 pounds down from last month so I’m at a good start. I’m hoping to lose 60 pounds.

haha thats great kinda happened to me i had lost 10 lbs when i broke up with my ex and its like i kinda knew things werent working out and especially he started acting different when i told him i was on a weight loss journey . but i met someone who totally supports me and you will too!
  • lillyy23
    I started to notice I was gaining weight after I had gotten below my prepregnancy weight. I didn't want to look pregnant or bigger than what I already was. I also had a relative ask me if I was having another baby. I didn't ask him why but I just knew. I've also noticed how my husband & I have been eating lately. I don't like watching him do that to his body & I'm sure he probably feels the same way.

That is so rude. I got that comment before... like "are you pregnant" and im like...no? LOL >.<