WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR DECEMBER 2018

Options

Replies

• 1948Peachy
    1948Peachy Posts: 1,511 Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    NY Karen ~ Your daughter must be a very talented young woman and I am so glad she got the internship she was seeking.

DrKatie ~ Glad your mom was able to come home and good thoughts for continued healing. Sorry about the deer and hope your brother can repair the bumper. I live in a very busy neighborhood and someone hit a deer in front of my house this AM. I think they do not have anywhere to go around here because they cleared the land behind us to build 60 new homes. This land used to be a horse farm and many trees.

Allie ~ Sorry you are feeling poorly but glad that you have such a busy social life. Hope your job is secured.

Heather ~ Your son is very good looking. I am glad that y'all are having a nice visit.

Amazon ~ For the first time, an item I ordered did not arrive and Amazon said they could not give me a refund. I would have to contact the seller. If I don't get a refund, I will probably curtail a lot of my shopping there.

WELCOME TO ALL THE NEW POSTERS!

Carol in GA

• margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,052 Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    Reading the Calorie Myth by Jonathan Bailor as inspiration to stay on my low sugar, low refined carbs, high fiber, low processed diet. I now am able to look at cookies, ice cream, donuts, pizza, fruit juice, soda, and cake and not be tempted to have any. Last week end I tried some pie that in the past I would have enjoyed and really did not care for it much.

I do believe this diet helped me get through the last very stressful months. A loved on in the hospital for a month, recarpet a third of our home with all the moving, boxing, and putting things back, a trip to where I grew up (mixed stress on that one), and helping son find a house and all that goes along with that. We were more involved than I would have liked to be.

I am ready to sit and do a jig saw puzzle. I had an aunt that after a stressful time that was her way of coping.

Staying on the diet helped me stay calmer and I am actually a couple pounds down from where I started five months ago when the intense stress began.

When others offer me my sweets I just say I am trying to eliminate sugar from my diet. Everyone had been respectful of my wishes. Some have even commented on my weight loss. I do not expect others to follow my diet. DH still eats his cookies, snacks, and ice cream. That is his choice.

:heart: Margaret

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,548 Member
    Options
    1948Peachy wrote: »
    NY Karen ~ Your daughter must be a very talented young woman and I am so glad she got the internship she was seeking.

DrKatie ~ Glad your mom was able to come home and good thoughts for continued healing. Sorry about the deer and hope your brother can repair the bumper. I live in a very busy neighborhood and someone hit a deer in front of my house this AM. I think they do not have anywhere to go around here because they cleared the land behind us to build 60 new homes. This land used to be a horse farm and many trees.

Allie ~ Sorry you are feeling poorly but glad that you have such a busy social life. Hope your job is secured.

Heather ~ Your son is very good looking. I am glad that y'all are having a nice visit.

Amazon ~ For the first time, an item I ordered did not arrive and Amazon said they could not give me a refund. I would have to contact the seller. If I don't get a refund, I will probably curtail a lot of my shopping there.

WELCOME TO ALL THE NEW POSTERS!

Carol in GA

As a former employee of amazon, the rep told u right. If u made a purchase from a third party seller and they didn’t deliver, u would need to get your refund and contact the seller direct. Moral of the story, make sure u pay attention who u r buying from on the website
  • PressingPatience
    PressingPatience Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    pipcd34 wrote: »
    1948Peachy wrote: »

DrKatie ~

As a former employee of amazon, the rep told u right. If u made a purchase from a third party seller and they didn’t deliver, u would need to get your refund and contact the seller direct. Moral of the story, make sure u pay attention who u r buying from on the website

As someone who used to sell things through Amazon as a third party seller, I second this. You can't blame Amazon, the company, for someone else's mistake. We mostly sold books and movies and made it very clear in the description of the product that they were second hand and not in mint condition but we still got some complaints. *shrug* What can you do? Everything is in the terms of service, which very few people read.

• prisoner2food
    prisoner2food Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • OregonMother
    OregonMother Posts: 1,566 Member
    Options
    Today is my birthday! It's really not a big deal, but my boys remembered and are going to take me out for pho tonight. At least that's what they said last night. I won't be disappointed if they forget. I'm not sure who reminded them it was my birthday. I don't think they've ever remembered on their own before, but when I asked my 12 year old who reminded them, he was insulted. "You're our mother. We remembered on our own." Sure. Right. :lol: My husband is in Florida this week, so we will celebrate this weekend.

Last day of finals today. Tomorrow is the university Christmas breakfast party, then next week should be nice and quiet. I need a break from faculty and students. Love them. But love when they're gone, as well.

Much love to everyone. Welcome to the newbies.

Felicia
    Willamette Valley, Oregon, where it is actually a little sunny :sunglasses:
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,846 Member
    Options
    Stopping by to say hi! Went to doc yesterday and was told to go on Keto diet with 16/8 daily fast (16 hours no food). This is purported to correct metabolism, insulin, cholesterol, inflammation, and GERD issues. Starting today so will see how far I can go. I did Atkuns in the past and this is similar except for the fasting. Hardest part for me is keeping carbs under 20-% each day. Did it before so can do it again!

RV Rita
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,340 Member
    Options
    kevrit wrote: »
    Stopping by to say hi! Went to doc yesterday and was told to go on Keto diet with 16/8 daily fast (16 hours no food). This is purported to correct metabolism, insulin, cholesterol, inflammation, and GERD issues. Starting today so will see how far I can go. I did Atkuns in the past and this is similar except for the fasting. Hardest part for me is keeping carbs under 20-% each day. Did it before so can do it again!

RV Rita

Rita - you have a very well-read doctor! The fasting mimicking and low-carb for health reasons seems pretty new to most physicians. You can do it! There's lots of info out there supporting this type of eating.

Love seeing your snow and it appears to be sticking around. Your "adopted" son looks like a nice fellow and not like the little green men I expect to see at Roswell, lol.

Lanette
    Chilly SW WA State
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Margaret: I’m so glad your diet has done such good things for your health. WTG!!! DH was put on a FODMAP diet by his physician and it has been a huge help in improving his quality of life. He had terrible diarrhea. He has eliminated gluten, including anything with wheat in it. it has served him well. I still eat regular bread and things made with wheat. We have discovered that we can make very satisfying cakes simply by using gluten free baking flour from Bob’s Red Mill instead of wheat flour. The cakes taste fabulous and have a good texture. We don’t make cakes very often. Gluten free is NOT calorie free. :noway: I wish you best luck with your new food regime. :heart:

Felicia: HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! It is sunny here, too. The Multnomah Channel of the Willamette River enters the Columbia just a few hundred yards downstream from us. :wink:

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,548 Member
    Options
    Today is my birthday! It's really not a big deal, but my boys remembered and are going to take me out for pho tonight. At least that's what they said last night. I won't be disappointed if they forget. I'm not sure who reminded them it was my birthday. I don't think they've ever remembered on their own before, but when I asked my 12 year old who reminded them, he was insulted. "You're our mother. We remembered on our own." Sure. Right. :lol: My husband is in Florida this week, so we will celebrate this weekend.

Last day of finals today. Tomorrow is the university Christmas breakfast party, then next week should be nice and quiet. I need a break from faculty and students. Love them. But love when they're gone, as well.

Much love to everyone. Welcome to the newbies.

Felicia
    Willamette Valley, Oregon, where it is actually a little sunny :sunglasses:

Happyyyyy bdayyyyyyyy!!!!!!!!!!!
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,824 Member
    Options
    <3
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,212 Member
    Options
    Hi all. <3
    Love Heather UK XXXXXX
  • okiewoman510
    okiewoman510 Posts: 1,288 Member
    Options
    Happy Birthday Felicia!!

Okie
  • evie1958
    evie1958 Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    Happy Birthday Felicia!

Evelyn, Vancouver Island
  • stltrimom1015
    stltrimom1015 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I have a pair of diamond earrings hidden in a safe place in my room.... somewhere.... my kids tease me that I can hide my own Easter eggs...

Karen in BC
    Sorry - I know this is probably not funny to you but this made me laugh - something I desperately needed today so thank you for that :) .

I'm dealing with lots of weird cravings this week. The last couple of days it's been french fries, soda (which I rarely drink so I'm not sure where that one is coming from), and then today, great big banana chocolate chip muffins that I used to get at the local grocery store. So far, I haven't given in to any of them. I'm finally starting to lose a little weight and don't want it to come back.

DD put the Christmas tree up the other day while DH and I were at work. Right now it only has simple ball ornaments on it (silver, gold, red and white). This weekend I'll get out the rest of the ornaments. We used to buy each of the kids their own ornament every year when they were growing up so they'd have something with memories to put on their trees as they got out on their own. I think DS took his last year for his own tree, but DD's are still with us since she's still with us :) . I'll try to finish the rest of the decorations this weekend too. We don't put up a lot, but I like to have at least some festive things around the house.

Janet in eastern MO
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
    Today is my birthday! It's really not a big deal, but my boys remembered and are going to take me out for pho tonight
    Felicia

Happy Birthday, have a super terrific day!!
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
    NY Karen - We definitely have such amazing women in our group, cuz we sure have some amazing offspring. So terrific and excited for your daughter. What an experience for her <3

Janetr OKC
  • 1948Peachy
    1948Peachy Posts: 1,511 Member
    Options
    Pip ~ Thanks for your advice about Amazon. I had ordered two shirts from Beall's Dept store. One came and the other seems to have disappeared into thin air. I went back to Amazon after what you said and read the buyer's reviews. There were many, many who said they had not received their order or that it took forever. Makes me sad because I have been ordering from Beall's quite a bit over the past few years but first time from Amazon.

Rita ~ Cute photos.

Felicia ~ Happy Birthday!

Carol in GA