December 2018 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• LadySaton
    LadySaton Posts: 500 Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    Ok. So now I have a question for the group.

Tablets. What, why and how much do you love them? What do you use it for? TM? School? Everything? Love? Hate?

DH offered to get me a Fire and unlock it where i can put Google play on it. Thinks it can be used just like any other tablet out there. I disagree. Its 50$, others are 500$+. And to me, its because there is an obvious reason- you get what you pay for.

So after some digging I think I want a pixlebook or something like it. He says no way, not with the Hawaii trip.

ETA

Accidentally posted that early. I have a Fire and an iPad. I never use the Fire anymore because I am heavily invested in the Apple environment and prefer iOS, but it wasn’t a bad tablet for entertainment uses.

I use my iPad for entertainment (games, movies, reading, podcasts, writing and creating art - not music, I use my apple watch for music). We use it frequently for my kids’ schoolwork - a lot of apps are convenient as addons to the curriculum we use. I love the huge app catalog.

If you like the Apple environment, an iPad is fabulous, but if you are new to iOS you won’t have a lot you are bringing with you, data wise, so it matters less. I don’t use my iPad for business purposes but I have some friends who use their iPad Pros that way.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    Absolutely love my iPad Pro so much I've felt like kissing it when I pick it up. :smiley:

I can use all my MS Office or Google Drive apps on it for running spreadsheets, and writing.

I use it with my Apple Pencil (stylus) for drawing. It's got me drawing every day (I use the app Procreate) and I'm so thankful to it for that.

All my iPhone apps sync to it. The great part is I have iCloud Photo Sharing turned on, and the photos I take on my runs/walks look fantastic in large resolution on my iPad! I also have lots of different apps for photo editing I can do more detailed work on the iPad.

Last year we went on holiday and I had spending money for that. I saved most of my spending money, plus my son contributed, and my other half also helped and together we got me the iPad Pro and Pencil for my birthday. :heart:
  • msarobix
    msarobix Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    @Elise4270

Yep, I am not sure I could live without any of my devices. I also have a Kindle Voyager for reading. All my devices have a specific purpose. LOL!

It sounds like if you can get the Kindle Fire unlocked that might be your best bet. I did a quick search on the Amazon website for Kindle Fire Apps and Peloton doesn't seem to be available. However, if you know of a way to unlock the Kindle for Google Play it is available there along with a bunch of other apps. Ones I have downloaded, but not yet tried out.

With Christmas in two days maybe your husband has already had this in mind and you will have a tablet soon. If not get him to order in on Christmas and you have have it by the end of the week. LOL!
  • Teerai
    Teerai Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Hey is anyone else getting a bug popup when they log into their food page?
    It knows your service provider and says you have a reward.

Then it trys to auto download to a page that has lasvegasrewards in the address.
    I have closed out and erased the cache before it does but it acts like a virus trap.
    Not on homepage or community but within a minute when trying to log food or exercise.

I don’t get it anywhere else on my browser so it’s probably UA marketing that did not do due diligence!
    And is related to some ad that autoloads on those pages.

MFP Moderators IT NEEDS TO BE FIXED!
    CAN everyone document if they get it and if so flag this. Thanks.
  • katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    Options
    Scott6255 wrote: »
    Great job on the 20 mile run @amymoreorless! Sweet dreams.

Thanks @Scott6255 and @martaindale ! :)

I officially just had the BEST (coma like) NAP EVER! One more long run until....

tmk3bjm1mki9.jpeg

Great job on your 20-mile run. Yay to being almost done training! Love those naps when you are so very tired and just zonk right out. Excited for you and your upcoming marathon.
  • martaindale
    martaindale Posts: 2,067 Member
    Options
    This is the second week I have added in an easy 1.5 mile loop on Sunday and I'm liking it. Since I do my long run on Friday, my Monday run has been hard historically because my legs are kind of stiff. Last week the Sunday run felt stiff, but it made my Monday so much better. I'm hoping for the same this week.
    It's also such a quick run that it's easy to fit it into my day. I do meal prep on Sunday, so I can usually get out in the afternoon after I'm done cooking. Usually by then I am ready to leave the house for a few minutes. And since most of the HM plans call for at least 4 days of running, it's probably good if I can figure out how to work that in. So far, so good.

Dec run miles: 26.85
    Dec goal miles: 30

2019 Races:

Piney Woods Trailfest 5k - 2/2/2019 registered
    Rodeo Run 10k - 2/23/2019 registered
    Run Houston! Minute Maid Park 10k - 3/23/2019 registered
    Brazos Bend 50 10k - 4/6/2019 registered
    Galveston Island Wine Festival Champagne Fun Run 5k - 4/27/2019
    Women's Quarter Marathon - 5/2019
    El Chupacabra de Houston 10k (night trail run) - 8/2019
    TWRC Run WIld Run Free 5k - 9/2019
    10 for Texas 10 Miler - 10/2019 registration opens Jan 2019
    Wine and Dine half marathon - 11/3/2019

Also doing the team challenge for Run the Year 2019.
  • martaindale
    martaindale Posts: 2,067 Member
    Options
    @Elise4270 I also have an iPad that is my only personal computer. I used to have a laptop, but I just stopped using it since I could do everything I needed to on the iPad. I do have an Android phone though and have no plans to go full Apple. But, the iPad is just a great tablet.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    Teerai wrote: »
    Hey is anyone else getting a bug popup when they log into their food page?
    It knows your service provider and says you have a reward.

Then it trys to auto download to a page that has lasvegasrewards in the address.
    I have closed out and erased the cache before it does but it acts like a virus trap.
    Not on homepage or community but within a minute when trying to log food or exercise.

I don’t get it anywhere else on my browser so it’s probably UA marketing that did not do due diligence!
    And is related to some ad that autoloads on those pages.

MFP Moderators IT NEEDS TO BE FIXED!
    CAN everyone document if they get it and if so flag this. Thanks.

@Teerai I did a search in MFP Help but there were no help requests logged that mentioned the term "lasvegasrewards".

You can email the MFP Help Department here:

https://myfitnesspal.desk.com/customer/portal/emails/new?
  • AmyOutOfControl
    AmyOutOfControl Posts: 1,425 Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    Ok. So now I have a question for the group.

Tablets. What, why and how much do you love them? What do you use it for? TM? School? Everything? Love? Hate?

DH offered to get me a Fire and unlock it where i can put Google play on it. Thinks it can be used just like any other tablet out there. I disagree. Its 50$, others are 500$+. And to me, its because there is an obvious reason- you get what you pay for.

So after some digging I think I want a pixlebook or something like it. He says no way, not with the Hawaii trip.

@Elise4270 What are you planning on using the tablet for? I used to have a Kindle Fire and liked it. I have an older iPad that I use now (it was a free hand me down). I have family members that work for Apple so I get all their “old” (and perfectly awesome) devices.

There are a few personal things I can’t do with a tablet. Our City’s utility department has a crappy website that only works on a Windows desktop machine. I also can’t update my TomTom running watch on the tablet. I just use my office desktop for these things so it’s not an issue for me.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »
    I'm another one who uses Duolingo on my iPad. I'm studying Greek. 91 day streak at the moment.

I'm learning Greek so I can be prepared, because I *might* be doing the Athens Authentic Marathon (where it all began) in 2020 or 2021.

I've been studying German for about a year and a half. I'm to the point i really need someone to talk too (besided my cats or dh that says "what?"). I did audio CDs mostly but the last year have been using duo. Maybe I can get Siri to talk to me in deutsch?
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    @Elise4270 - Another vote for iPad here. I the 2018 9.7" model with the First gen Apple Pencil. I use it all the time. I use it to take notes (using the pencil - it can translate handwriting to typed charters, shapes into charts and so one) I have my notes for teaching classes on it. And I even use it when preaching to control the slides on the screens. I do all of my book reading on it. All of it. Track my food in MFP on it and so on.

The only thing I do not with it is a track running. I have a Garmin 935 for that which sync with Garmin and etc via my phone.