January 2019 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• msarobix
    msarobix Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    @Elise4270

Here is a question?

I see everyone planning their races for 2019, but am I the only one that doesn't get in to the hype of Races??

When I ran before I only did ONE race, and I ran almost every day, 5-12 miles a day, but I was never really into the races. I guess you could say, I am a fair weather runner, and I didn't want to commit to a race when I didn't know what the weather was going to be like. During the nice weather I will run outside if the conditions are right when I decide to do my run, but if not I am on the treadmill.

Also, I guess I am more of a solitary runner and I compete against myself. I joined the local running group before also, and ran with them once a week, but that too wasn't a big motivator for me. I think because it didn't always fit into my schedule and I felt like I was forced to run outside of my normal time just so that I could run with the group.

Do these things make me one of the oddities of runners?
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    tita0427 wrote: »
    Does anyone use the Garmin Connect app?
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    I'd guess that most folks here who use a Garmin use the Garmin Connect app, but I don't know if anyone "connects" with each other on that app. There is a Strava group for the members of this thread which you're welcome to join.

Yeah, as he said, I use the app with my Garmin 935, but it just feeds out to MFP, Strava, Apple Health, and RunKeepr. :) It is very rare I log on to the connect website. I am probably pretty typical for this thread judging by the activity in the Strava group (Which I am only lightly active in, I try, but really this thread + the FB group is enough to fill my spare time heh)
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,489 Member
    Options
    @msarobix I don't think that's all that unusual. Different strokes for different folks, and all that. I'm mostly a solitary runner, but from time to time I'll join an informal group run. I joined a running group once, but it was kind of awkward for me, and like you, I didn't like to force a run into my schedule.

I enjoy races because it's one of the few times that I'll actually push myself to the limit to see what I can do. Otherwise it's usually a slow, easy pace for me. When I do race, it's always against myself, not against the field. I'll never win a race and I don't care about that, I just try to do the best I can. Having a race on calendar also helps motivate me to be consistent in my training. For trail races, there's the added attraction that around this area, trail runners are a very close, friendly group and it just makes me happy to be around them. This year I'll be volunteering at more trail races than I run in.

As far as the weather, I'd say I'm more of an oddity than you are. I love running in cold, wet, snowy, rainy weather. The worse the weather, the more I want to be out running in it. I've only run on a treadmill twice in my life, other than in a doctor's office or running store. Treadmills scare the crap out of me!
  • martaindale
    martaindale Posts: 2,056 Member
    Options
    @msarobix I have only done a few races, but I really love them! I am mostly a solitary runner other than the rare occasion I can get my daughter out with me. I don't train with a group or anything like that. But I love the atmosphere of race day! I like to find a fun theme or interesting location. It's a unique experience and as @7lenny7 said, I tend to really see what I can do during races. I am signing up for several this year to keep me on track for my first half marathon later in the year and to help keep me motivated.
  • tecat810
    tecat810 Posts: 4,465 Member
    Options
    tita0427 wrote: »
    I would like to try this Challenge...a little intimidating to set my measley goal of 25 miles in January when people on here are running over a hundred....but, oh well....gotta start somewhere.

I recently started running again after quite a while of doing absolutely nothing. I am currently doing interval runs to get into better running condition and I am doing much better. I can run longer distances and at a slightly better time. I would like to be able to run a 5k without stopping, but I think I need a little more time. I don’t think that will be a January goal. 😁

Does anyone use the Garmin Connect app?

I do! Would love to connect! Same username as mfp.
  • tecat810
    tecat810 Posts: 4,465 Member
    Options
    @7lenny7 yes, we are neighbors! No fat tire for me. Just like the road biking when the weather is better!
  • debrakgoogins
    debrakgoogins Posts: 2,034 Member
    Options
    What are the benefits of using the Strava application?
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    What are the benefits of using the Strava application?

None, unless you are into the social aspect of it. Otherwise, it is a fairly mediocre activity tracking program.