December 2018 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• Mari33a
    Mari33a Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    @garygse @AlphaHowls WOW U can blow me over with a feather. That’s some miles! Bow to @MobyCarp too!
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    Options
    Today I got to run 3.61 miles, my first run since Monday and maybe my last run of the year? We’ll see what tomorrow brings. It was really hard getting out the door but I was glad I did it by the end. There was a lot of ice so I stepped lightly and didn’t take any turns without coming to a near-complete stop first.

I’ve been bouncing around a lot on my goals for the next few weeks, but I think that what I said in my last post holds true - I need to make running something I get to do when the weather agrees, but not my primary workout. So starting tomorrow I’m going to start one of Fitness Blender’s four-week workout programs and see how that does me for a little structure. It’s a strength-focused program but plenty of cardio in there too and each workout gives you the option to stop after 30 minutes or add another 20 minute session on, so I figure that will be good incentive to just Do It Already.

And just to keep things interesting, on Thursday I have an introductory workout at a lifting gym nearby, so maybe I’ll be reevaluating my January goals once again. Always be flexible, right?

Unrelated to fitness, my boss asked if I could come in tomorrow to meet a new person they’re bringing in to help me finish the project I’ve been on for ages now. I found out today that my boss is actually planning on being there at the first part of the meeting, which will be the second time I’ve met her since she hired me last April. So that’s a thing? My job is weird. Glad I washed my hair today!

@msarobix: I’m keeping a paper journal - I’m usually a very digital person, but I’ve found that the physical notes are very helpful in keeping me organized and on-top of my to-do lists.

December Total: 54.37 miles
  • zeesparrow
    zeesparrow Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    garygse wrote: »
    @Elise4270 It's the Steam sale, so I bought Hitman 2...I like it because there's quite a few different ways to approach the same objective. I did also just finish The Room 3 (if you like puzzle games)...I played The Room and The Room 2 on my Android phone, so this was the first time I played this game on the PC, and I enjoyed it. We also have a PS4, but it's in constant use by one of my three boys playing anything from Fortnite to Gang Beasts to God of War.

I love my bread maker; the banana nut chocolate chip loaf is super easy...just chuck everything in the pan, press a button, and walk away. Come back 1½ hours later to a home full of the aroma of freshly baked bread and a moist hot loaf with gooey chocolate bits inside. :love: :heart:

Puzzle games? Sign me up! I bought The Room on Steam and played it for an hour and a half last night. Think I will just buy the other two right now. Thanks for mentioning them!
  • martaindale
    martaindale Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    Tramboman wrote: »
    @martaindale We still have one runner waiting to be included on the Five for Nineteen RTY team.

Done! Thanks for the heads up.
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    I used to see people out running when it was cold or rainy and think they were crazy. Well, today I became one of those crazy people! It has been raining for 2 days. I had about an hour window today where the chance of rain was at its lowest and it wasn’t dark yet. So I put my rain jacket on and some light layers and went out for my quick Sunday loop. Of course it started raining. Not hard, but just enough for me to think, “Well I’m a crazy runner now.” It was actually kind of fun. I am glad I made it out before dark because several people in my neighborhood don’t feel the need to pressure wash their sidewalks. A few drops of rain and it is soooo slippery! Trying to navigate that in the dark would have been brutal.

I find, and many others in this thread say the same, that it is much easier to STAY OUT running if it starts raining while you are out there then it is to START running in the rain. It is all head games of course, but such is life! :smiley:

Absolutely. I LOVE running IN the rain, it makes me laugh and feel alive. If, however it is raining more than a drizzle before I go out, I roll over and go back to bed.
  • Tramboman
    Tramboman Posts: 2,482 Member
    Options
    Tramboman wrote: »
    @martaindale We still have one runner waiting to be included on the Five for Nineteen RTY team.

Done! Thanks for the heads up.

You're welcome!!!!
  • rusgolden
    rusgolden Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    Thanks @Orphia ! I tweeked one we use for tracking miles. I'm not sure i like it yet, ill probably have a closer look at Pat's.. @rusgolden put some calculations in it and im studying this new =IF function. Maybe Rus could come over for a spreadsheet tutorial :wink:

My calves are so tight and sore today. I'm changing up my form, more "natural/neutral" to absorb the impact more efficiently. So i need to be patient. (To those that are newish, I've had 2 hip surgeries and getting back has been a challenge. Everything is weak and doesn't want to play nice).

I'm really glad i didnt run 2 miles yesterday. Making a plan is a bit challenging. I'm reasy for a plan, but i still need to be patient. I miss the days of every run is 5-6 miles...

Thanks for all the support and advice! Keep it coming if you have any!

Sorry I missed these earlier in the month... let me know if you need me to assist any further with these. I see that @Elise4270 that you are the only one on the 2019 spreadsheet so far.
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    Options
    girlinahat wrote: »
    I used to see people out running when it was cold or rainy and think they were crazy. Well, today I became one of those crazy people! It has been raining for 2 days. I had about an hour window today where the chance of rain was at its lowest and it wasn’t dark yet. So I put my rain jacket on and some light layers and went out for my quick Sunday loop. Of course it started raining. Not hard, but just enough for me to think, “Well I’m a crazy runner now.” It was actually kind of fun. I am glad I made it out before dark because several people in my neighborhood don’t feel the need to pressure wash their sidewalks. A few drops of rain and it is soooo slippery! Trying to navigate that in the dark would have been brutal.

I find, and many others in this thread say the same, that it is much easier to STAY OUT running if it starts raining while you are out there then it is to START running in the rain. It is all head games of course, but such is life! :smiley:

Absolutely. I LOVE running IN the rain, it makes me laugh and feel alive. If, however it is raining more than a drizzle before I go out, I roll over and go back to bed.

Yes, absolutely. The one thing I have found that makes it easier to get out the door when it is raining is a well-ventilated long-brimmed baseball cap. For whatever reason keeping my face (sort of mostly) dry really helps. I also wear glasses, so the hat helps with visibility.
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    I thought yesterday was going to be my last activity for the year but I see now that we're supposed to get snow this evening so I'll have to take Kody out for a walk around the pond before our NYE festivities. We're not doing anything exciting, just staying home. Our son and his girlfriend may or may not be joining us. DW and I will probably watch movies if they go out, play games if they join us.
  • rusgolden
    rusgolden Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    December Weekly Miles

GOAL: 100-125 miles
    12/01 - 09.01
    12/08 - 33.30
    12/15 - 28.45
    12/22 - 45.68
    12/29 - 37.89
    12/31 - 07.75
    TOTAL: 162.09 miles

@MobyCarp -- thank you so much for your running wisdom! Yes, you are correct the mileage above was weekly mileage Sun-Sat and that 1st week that also included part of Nov was ~ 28 miles. With the way the holidays fell and some other things, I ran 13 days without rest, but that is not the norm for me, so yes, was a pretty significant uptick in mileage the week ending 12/22. I am not planning any other shorter races at this time, but if I do add any, I will not be looking to PR them, so will be smart about the long term goal. Again, thank you for taking the time!

2018 RACES
    04/21/18 - 4:20:27 - Marathon (My 1st) - Garmin Marathon, Olathe KS
    06/02/18 - 1:10:12 - 7.7 mile - Hospital Hill - Kansas City MO
    08/18/18 - 23:04 - 5K (PR) - Gardner KS
    10/06/18 - (Rained Out) 5K - Jared Coones Memorial Pumkin Run - Olathe KS
    10/20/18 - 1:57:04 Half Marathon - Kansas City Marathon - KC MO
    11/22/18 - 27:59 - 5K - Turkey Trot - Overland Park KS (1st race with my son)

2019 RACES
    03/02/19 - Liberty Hospital Half Marathon - Liberty MO (Heartland 39.3 Series #1)
    04/13/19 - Rock the Parkway Half Marathon - Kansas City MO (Heartland 39.3 Series #2)
    05/11/19 - Running with the Cows Half Marathon - Bucyrus KS (Heartland 39.3 Series #3)
    06/01/19 - Hospital Hill Half Marathon - Kansas City MO
    ??/??/19 - Garmin OzRun Half Marathon - Virtual Run (Date conflicted with Heartland #2)
    MobyCarp wrote: »
    rusgolden wrote: »

For those of you who race frequently (speaking to you @MobyCarp ), do you have any tips for recovery and training between races? I think I have 5 weeks between the 1st & 2nd HM, 4 weeks between the 2nd & 3rd HM, and only 3 weeks between the 3rd & 4th HM. I would like to race them all hard, but would be okay easing up for the last one since it isn't part of the series and only 3 weeks between.

@rusgolden I'm taking the miles listed by date as weekly mileages, correct? And you think you'll beat 150 miles for December.

I see a big jump between week of 12/15 and week of 12/22. Week of 12/29 ought to be less than week of 12/22, for recovery. I haven't looked back at prior months, but it looks like you have a solid base of around 30 miles per week. If you are also getting a long run of at least 10 miles every week, you should be able to run a half marathon pretty much whenever you feel like it.

Now, as to how many half marathons and how closely spaced they are . . . I see on your 2019 race list that the four half marathons you mention are the only races you have planned for that time frame. Not having any shorter races that you'll run hard helps with recovery. For this schedule, I wouldn't even mess with training and taper after the first half. Just run 30 to 35 miles per week, including a long run of at least 10 miles, and you'll be fine for each subsequent half. If you feel good running 40 or 45 miles per week, that's fine; just don't push for more miles to the point that you beat yourself down.

I expect that by the time you get to the fourth half, you'll be fine running it hard. The other thing that could happen is that you could get too aggressive with training and be beat up by the time you run that fourth half. You'll know this is the case if you have aches that don't go away after a rest day.

DISCLAIMER: The above opinion is based on my reading of the specific goals and running history of @rusgolden and is *NOT* intended to be general advice applicable to everyone. Someone with less of a base of running distance and no prior experience of running half marathons or full marathons could really mess himself up trying to run that many half marathons hard, that close together.