WOMEN AGES 50 + FOR JANUARY 2019

Options

Replies

• kymarai
    kymarai Posts: 3,606 Member
    Options
    Good morning from Ohio! Thank you all for your love, prayers and warm thoughts for Aubrey and Paige and Eric. They still have a long way to go, but this was a major step!

Pip- my prep for my colonoscopy was gentle. My husband's two years before was not! I remember no seeds, no red, no lettuce, onions, and other things that could get caught. I hope all is found well.

Viv UK- Cass with clutterbug suggests setting a timer for 5-15 minutes. Then just race the timer doing something. I find that now that I have decluttered my hidden places, I am much calmer and feel like I have more time. I say hidden as our house is almost always clutter free, but man could I hide stuff! Just couldn't find things- lol! Good luck with small steps today.

Janet- he is adorable!

Felicia- jelly fish stings suck! I hope you feel better today.

Cari- That was quite a workout! And now for a little while you have a cleaner path. I am amazed at how rude and inconsiderate people can be!

Michele in NC- I agree with Cari. Your exercise with videos is impressive and inspirational. Maybe if I just did it every day, it wouldn't be so stressing for me to figure out how to turn them on on our entertainment system! It always takes me a few blue words and 5 minutes to start a dvd!

Ladies, I didn't check auto correct last night. I could care less if the NFL is having problems, but MFP is what I meant. It is their app having issues and not all things affecting all people. I couldn't close out food last night, then this morning it had doubled my lunch. Rrrr. All straight now.

Hair color tonight. Then nothing on calendar until Monday morning! 60's on Tuesday, measurable snow on Saturday! I thought only in Ohio, but apparently Mother nature is confused for a lot of us!

Have a blessed day everyone!
    Make the best choice you can make at the time!

<3
    Kylia
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,198 Member
    Options
    Hi all!
    Kylia - so happy to see Aubrey making progress. <3<3<3<3

Janetr - Your great grandson looks so grown up already! What a joy! :D:p<3

The 'dinner party' went really well. I was much more relaxed than normal because it was just close family. I enjoyed going the extra mile to make it a special treat for them. They have such busy lives. Apparently the kids said they wanted to come too. :p
    The star of the show for me was the pickled ribbons of carrot and zucchini. I have never done them before, though I've seen it on tv. I nearly gassed us boiling up the pickling spices! ! Will do them again. The other thing I loved was the individual pots of dauphinoises. I cooked them in the afternoon, so I only had to heat them up to brown the tops.
    The Brownies were perfectly gooey and 'squidgy' , but sooooooooooooo filling! I felt quite stuffed by the end of the evening. It was my DDIL's choice, so I was happy to do it, but not something I would normally do. They took most of the leftover brownies home with them, but we have a few left. Luckily they keep for ages, or I could freeze them for future guests.
    I love laying a nice table. It gives me great pleasure. I like to get it done early so I can relax.

Viv - I am very lucky in that I have a utility room for washing and drying, with a pull up, old style, wooden dryer. In my old house I used my bathroom for drying. We mainly bought the house for the dining extension, which is a priority with me. I am a bit of a tidy freak, especially in the public areas. Private and utility areas, much less so. I like dumping space that is out of sight. When we thought of moving to a modern apartment I knew I couldn't be tidy enough. :noway:

Going for a run this afternoon to run off the brownies. :o:p

We agreed with my son to have the grandchildren on Sunday for two hours while he does his marathon training with his running club and my DDIL prepares her speech for an upcoming conference. Hope the weather is good enough to go out to the playground. We won't be able to do our normal exercising that day. We have also agreed to have the grandchildren overnight in February when they both do the Brighton half marathon together. We will all be out to cheer them on! They come past our road. :D DDIL is a very good runner with good times, but my son is not a natural. He is working really hard since he quit alcohol to train for a full marathon this coming April. He certainly looks a lot healthier!

I'm going to make soup with the left over veggies today. Maybe with bacon and lentils. I have sushi for lunch that I didn't use yesterday. DH will have a ham sandwich.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxx
  • auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Suzanne consistency is a struggle for me too.
    Barbie would you refresh my memory on the quotes about what we do every day and the choice reason we fail?
    Yvonne, I can squander hours playing dictionary detective. Thanks for my day! I have yet to find a tolerable AF wine, alas haven't found Heather's Torreo Natural here. The ones I've tried are just plain yucky. AF beer on the other hand is just fine... Kaliber, Clausthaler, even O'Douls.
    Kylia I'm tearing up at the pic of the first time Paige got to hold Aubrey. Thank you for sharing.

Just a flyby, too sleepy for more.

Lighter, lovelies!
    f8qt1s098sxm.gifBarbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD.
    walk one more step 9/31, 60 g protein 8/31, rx/vits 8/31, meditate 9/31, knee exercises 9/31, SWSY UP 3/9, SWSY LOW 3/9, core 3/9, play with Tumble 3/31, hang up or purge art 0/4 AF 6/31.
    01/09=LT: 30 mins the-real-skinny-on-fat-Y MT: Scooter Groom-Y ST: call Jim and Sandy-N
    Word for 2019: "GOOD" good attitude, good food, good times, good choices, good enough, feel good, GOOD!
  • Lagopus
    Lagopus Posts: 1,016 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    I don't know if anybody will be interested, but our local paper Svalbardposten has arranged a live link so those who wish can keep an eye on the approaching storm. The wind is from the east, so their office (and most of town) is protected by a mountain.

Many of the activities in town have been cancelled today. The school and day care centers are closed, as are the library, gym, and youth club. The Governor is requesting that people stay at home. Anyone who MUST go outdoors is implored to watch out for flying objects and keep clear of the roads so the snowplow crews can keep them open for emergency vehicles. About 100 people have been evacuated and won't be allowed back to their homes until after it is all over.

Here's the link: https://svalbardposten.no/nyheter/se-stormen-direkte/19.10604
    Please keep in mind that it will be DARK. The image is live, but there's not much happening right now. I've seen a couple cars and a pedestrian go by. You can hear the wind on the video. I usually jog along this road. Not today.

Golly gee, I wish I was there!
    /Penny, only in spirit at the t07190.gif
  • KJLaMore
    KJLaMore Posts: 2,828 Member
    Options
    Good morning! Happy Thursday! I am so glad this week is going by so quickly! lol Saturday will be my first day off since the 1st of January. It can't come soon enough.
    Well, my doctor's appointment was interesting, to say the least. Dr. O (my ob/gyn) came into the room and we talked about the ultrasound, she then did a quick exam to collect some tissue samples. I have a tilted cervix which makes sample collecting a bit tricky. Any way, she tried a couple of different speculums and collection tools, but had no luck getting to the cervix tissue. While examining, she said "Whoa! That's a lot of blood!" lol NOT something you want to hear a doctor say. She wants to do a D&C to remove the endometrial lining and biopsy that, she will also be able to get cervical samples and check the cysts that were detected from the ultrasound. So, I am now waiting for her surgery team to call and schedule that. They did tell me that they are scheduled into late February/March, so I have a couple of months to stew about all of this. Tim was waiting for me at the door when I got back home and was anxious to hear the outcome. Now he is anxious about the surgery and outcome of that. The good thing about being married to a worrier, is that it forces me to take the "calmer" road. He is more than a little exhausting with his worrying.
    I think, after I get my shopping done on Saturday, I am just going to do nothing. I will even have the boys get take out, so that I don't even have to cook.
    Heather- Your table looks beautiful! Those blues are gorgeous! And your menu?!? Tres chic! I knew exactly what squidgy meant, as that is how I like my brownies (add that extra egg). :o
    Rori- So sorry to hear about our hand! Sending prayers and healing thoughts your way! Grab them with the good hand! <3
    Janet- Baby Matthew is adorable! I think Bear's head is bigger than he is! lol <3
    Kylia- Awww! Aubrey with her mama! I am so glad she is doing better! A healthy cry is a good sign! <3
    Vicki- I am right there with you, sister, in those working trenches! Long hours are my life right now. But we do what we have to do to get bills paid! Power on, lady! Remember to steal those moments alone to meditate and send good thoughts to your self and put an arm out to catch the ones I am sending to you! B)
    Felicia- Ahhhh, the jellyfish! That happened to me once while I lived down there. I remember being amazed that it didn't really hurt. I guess some jellies have less toxin in their sting. Yep, can't let that get you down! Get back out there and enjoy the rest of your vacation!
    Yvonne- Oh yeah! Word nerd here!

Daffodils- I love daffodils for the simple reason that they remind me of the "flower cups" that Gene Wilder/Willy Wonka drank out of (and then ate) in the movie Willy Wonka and The Chocolate Factory. Remember that scene?! I still would love to have an edible daffodil cup and saucer.

Ah well, three year old Harrison is here and ready for breakfast. Gotta run! ttfn xoxoxo KJ (Kelly)
  • KJLaMore
    KJLaMore Posts: 2,828 Member
    Options
    Michele- You asked about scheduling appointments and my daycare. Yes! I have to schedule way in advance so that my daycare families have time to find alternative care. That is why rescheduling is such a hassle. I do try to be scheduled as close to the end of the work day as possible.
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,532 Member
    Options
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    Lagopus wrote: »
    I don't know if anybody will be interested, but our local paper Svalbardposten has arranged a live link so those who wish can keep an eye on the approaching storm. The wind is from the east, so their office (and most of town) is protected by a mountain.

Many of the activities in town have been cancelled today. The school and day care centers are closed, as are the library, gym, and youth club. The Governor is requesting that people stay at home. Anyone who MUST go outdoors is implored to watch out for flying objects and keep clear of the roads so the snowplow crews can keep them open for emergency vehicles. About 100 people have been evacuated and won't be allowed back to their homes until after it is all over.

Please keep in mind that it will be DARK. The image is live, but there's not much happening right now. I've seen a couple cars and a pedestrian go by. You can hear the wind on the video. I usually jog along this road. Not today.

Penny I pulled up the image & thought for sure it was static & then all of a sudden a car went by! LOL!

========

Machka I love that series of photos of you joining your husband near The Big Tree. For some reason it brought tears to my eyes.

Karen in Virginia
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,843 Member
    Options
    KJLaMore wrote: »
    Good morning! Happy Thursday! I am so glad this week is going by so quickly! lol Saturday will be my first day off since the 1st of January. It can't come soon enough.
    Well, my doctor's appointment was interesting, to say the least. Dr. O (my ob/gyn) came into the room and we talked about the ultrasound, she then did a quick exam to collect some tissue samples. I have a tilted cervix which makes sample collecting a bit tricky. Any way, she tried a couple of different speculums and collection tools, but had no luck getting to the cervix tissue. While examining, she said "Whoa! That's a lot of blood!" lol NOT something you want to hear a doctor say. She wants to do a D&C to remove the endometrial lining and biopsy that, she will also be able to get cervical samples and check the cysts that were detected from the ultrasound. So, I am now waiting for her surgery team to call and schedule that. They did tell me that they are scheduled into late February/March, so I have a couple of months to stew about all of this. Tim was waiting for me at the door when I got back home and was anxious to hear the outcome. Now he is anxious about the surgery and outcome of that. The good thing about being married to a worrier, is that it forces me to take the "calmer" road. He is more than a little exhausting with his worrying.

Sorry to hear this. I've been there ... twice. Polyps, precancer, biopsies, removals, D&Cs etc.

Both were rushed surgeries. First time, they squeezed me in to see a gynaecologic oncologist on December 23, 2014 ... and I was into surgery about 2 weeks later in early January 2015. The second time the ultrasound turned up several things in early May 2017, and the gynaecologic oncologist had me into surgery mid-May.

Fortunately, the surgeries are fairly simple these days and I was back to work a couple days later. I've been all clear since then and hoping that will continue.

So ... I hope that your surgery goes quickly, smoothly and very well ... and that you'll be all clear too.

Machka in Oz

• Lagopus
    Lagopus Posts: 1,016 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options

Penny I pulled up the image & thought for sure it was static & then all of a sudden a car went by! LOL!
    Yeah, Karen, it doesn't look like much except when the wind finds some remaining loose snow to blow around. It isn't quite the same all-round experience as when you can feel your house shaking in the wind.

I found a short video from the dog yard, which is NOT protected by the mountain. The dogs need attention regardless, and they think nothing of the weather. :laugh:
    https://www.nrk.no/troms/slik-takler-svalbardianerne-uvaeret-1.14374450

/Penny
  • Rozbee1
    Rozbee1 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    @Machka9 what a lovely woman you are. So pretty.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,843 Member
    Options
    Rozbee1 wrote: »
    @Machka9 what a lovely woman you are. So pretty.

Thank you very much! :)
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,749 Member
    Options
    Hello Ladies!

Finally had the labs my doctor has been pestering me to complete. I wanted numbers to work with when I analyze the effects of the 19:5 eating plan I'm undertaking. Everything looked very good except for my LDL in the lipid panel. Which is strange because overall cholesterol high normal, HDL is midrange normal and triglycerides are midrange normal. I'm going to work on lowering that LDL if I can. Those of you on Vitamin D might remember that I took very high levels for a long period of time 10,000iu per day. In May, that amount of Vitamin D put me slightly over high normal so my doctor reduced me to 5,000iu per day and I am back in the midrange amount.

The 19:5 eating plan is very doable. Weight has stalled at the moment but that is expected in the first few weeks. It is not necessary to count calories but I can't help myself. I know I'm still within my MFP allowances so I'm just going to hang in there and see what happens.

Penny ... like the others, I love learning about your part of the world!

Kylia... so glad to hear that Aubrey is making progress!

Kelly... I've had GYN issues as well in my life. Praying all will be well.

Beth near Buffalo
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    <3:)
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,047 Member
    Options
    Penny stay safe!
  • Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,732 Member
    Options
    Machka - it a wonder you get any time to do anything trying to juggle it all. I admire you for sticking to your exercise and personal health goals. I feel I would not be doing the same. Project Manager might not hurt.

Kylia - beautiful picture of Paige and Aubrey

Margaret - your great grandson is adorable.

Penny - I used to love storm days where you were only expected to hunker down. It was like the world stood still. I have not had a true storm day since we moved to Edmonton. They still get them regularly in my hometown though.

Kelly - my husband worries about me and my health but never about much else that I know of. He keeps pretty much everything to himself. We have had arguments because I don’t feel he worries enough. I found out when our youngest was 9 and started having panic attacks that worrying can actually be an inherited trait. My Grandfather was a world class worrier. I have it, but have learned ways to control it.

Hope everything is well with you when you get your surgery and results.

I made a T-shirt for my husband yesterday to try out another technique with my Cricut. It turned out well and was really easy to do. I am practicing with simple things before I start designing more detailed items. Today I am going to make coffee mugs for my daughter and her fiancé. Also get a card made for my husband’s birthday tomorrow.

Tracey in Edmonton
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    I found a short video from the dog yard, which is NOT protected by the mountain. The dogs need attention regardless, and they think nothing of the weather. :laugh:
    https://www.nrk.no/troms/slik-takler-svalbardianerne-uvaeret-1.14374450

/Penny

Penny OMG
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,693 Member
    Options
    I say the same thing KetoneKaren~ that is blowing a gale and then some...
    afternoon ladies, been up since 5 and trucking along basically since then... I sort of feel a bit tired ,but have to go back up to Kittys at 3 or so as the OT is coming to see her and she wants me there..then will go back later to get her ready for bed..
    I dont know if its the Ketogenic Diet I am doing or what but I feel very cold alot of time, granted I have my thermostat on 62 but still..
    Penny ~ just fascinating all that up north.. so love that you keep us all abreast of the comings and goings up there..
    I am sitting catching up with you all and having some peppermint tea..