Options

Replies

• suzu_2
    suzu_2 Posts: 311 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    brennerjlb wrote: »
    Happy Wednesday! Good morning!
    Got up for a very chilly walk this am. 17 degrees it said. But I was stubborn and continued on. The dog didn't seem to care
  • suzu_2
    Options
    You go Lynn!! I have got to get my activity back in gear. Been glued to my desk chair at work more than usual, but that is just an excuse - I'm not getting out on the trails and to the gym like I was. I have a Fitbit, but I've never done the friending thing. We can give it a try if you want?? Maybe that would help us both be accountable.
  • nygr8guy
    nygr8guy Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I need some motivation. I got on the scale this morning, and it wasn't pretty. I need to get back on track, and I need a place to start. Whatever I am doing is not working. I need some accountability. I am 61 yo, work full time, and find it difficult to fit in exercise. By the time I get home at 7PM I am exhausted. I eat dinner, then I'm asleep by 8:30 to do it all over again at 5AM. I think the only way the pounds are going to come off is if I get off my butt and walk or go to the gym. I also have to get my eating back on track and not be tempted with desserts after my evening meal. How can I fit it all in?
    Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.
  • brennerjlb
    brennerjlb Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    Hello all!
    Snowflake - thanks for the input. Very exciting spring coming up!
    Sara and Megan - you have put me in the mood for a manicure!
    Suzu 2 - thanks. I will find time to google how to find each other on fitbit and then put it out here. Maybe we can get a fitbit group together!
    runa - Drs! I get being late due to emergency. but did they keep you updated and tell you why so late and what it going on? I find the lack of that appalling. My son sees an allergist, he has walked through the front door of the clinic we see him at 15 minutes late right in front of us! Holding his newly purchased coffee in his hand. RUDE! But...after all that did he give you any fixes? tests?
    Nygr8guy - welcome! My suggestion - retire :wink: Do you have times you can take 10 minutes walks at work. It might seem you do not, but can you make time?
    Lana - hope you are behaving in Vegas :wink:
    Happy Thursday to all! Lurking from work
  • Twiley510
    Twiley510 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    nygr8guy wrote: »
    I also have to get my eating back on track and not be tempted with desserts after my evening meal. How can I fit it all in? Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Your hours look like you may have a bit of a commute. Are you eating mindfully or just grabbing a pastry or a breakfast sandwich on the way to work?

Meal prep on weekends for your breakfast and lunch. Use a crockpot so your dinner is ready when you get home.

Use a food scale and measuring cups and spoons. Control your portions and track your food. Every bite. You may find you are eating more than you thought. If I use a cough drop, I log it (Halls Strawberry are 5 calories each, btw.)

Make sure your nutrition is balanced for your needs. Have you had bloodwork done to be sure your hormone and vitamin levels are where they should be? A doctor's visit may be in order to begin.

If you are tempted by dessert after your evening meal, get up and go for a walk instead, or dance around the living room, or play tennis on the Wii (is that still a thing?).

Once you meal prep for your lunch, you may find it doesn't take as long to eat the smaller portion and since it's already ready to eat, you might have time for a walk. Even 10 minutes would be better than nothing. Make sure you are up moving every hour. Do you have a break when you head for the coffee pot and then stand there talking to someone? Avoid the coffee and do some chair squats or lunges.

Little changes make a difference.

Good luck on your process! Check back and let us know how you are doing.
  • Tilliesmommy1
    Tilliesmommy1 Posts: 5,333 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    nygr8guy - good morning and welcome! There are some good ideas - you dont have to do all at once, so pick one of two that seems "easiest" for you to incorporate. My idea - do you have access to stairs at work? Unless you have bad knees- once a day take one floor. Post directly above did an awesome job B) - do you take breaks?? If not start taking one a day and walk the 10-15 minutes.

Lynn I had to laugh - like retiring is that easy......

Stop by and let us know how you are doing.
  • marsellilove
    marsellilove Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I decided to just not weigh my self very often a while ago and instead focus on nutrition and non scale victories... but here we go.

So my pants are like almost falling off me, so I checked on the scale at work and its gone up... :rage: I know it could mean anything and nothing at all but wowee that's annoying.

CURRENT WEIGHT 200
    GOAL 180
  • LanaCabana537
    LanaCabana537 Posts: 3,848 Member
    Options

Waving to all ~~

Very busy today.

Lana
  • Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,741 Member
    Options
    RunaMarti wrote: »
    Hi all!

Had a doctor appointment yesterday. 2:30 check in for 3 o’clock appointment. I think doc arrived in exam room sometime around 4. By then, I had crawled onto exam table and almost fell asleep. Been feeling as if I am going to pass out any second for 3 days at least. Constant severe headaches and just tired of being sick and tired. Stomach problems have been extra bad for almost 5 weeks now. Back went out real bad just before Tday and comes and goes depending on what I have to do. I just want maybe a day... just one day... where I feel fine all day.

Calories have been out of control this month. Forcing myself to get out and do a lot of stuff... and then too tired to prepare anything. So I feel I deserve to grab something quick. As if I am rewarding myself for getting out. Some extra special self sabotage. 🥴

I took a muscle relaxer and went to bed... woke up thinking I had really gotten some sleep for a good while and turned to look at clock to see it had only been 70 min. Don’t seem to sleep more than 2-3 hours at a time. Insomnia has been back with a vengeance for a bit, too.

Looking at all that... I guess I could have done worse food wise. So I should forgive myself and remind myself today is a new day 🤩

Runa 🌷

Did the doctor have a diagnosis of what might be wrong?
  • gettingmeback2013
    gettingmeback2013 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the welcome! Today was a good day. Last week's (which was week 1 for me) focus was getting my butt up in the mornings to exercise, no matter what it was. Once I got that down, this week's focus is logging and paying close attention to my portion sizes as well as my hunger cues. For example, I take a banana and a hardboiled egg to work with me for breakfast. I ate the banana this morning, but opted not to eat the egg unless I was still hungry. Turns out I wasn't hungry again until lunch! Guess I'll eat the egg tomorrow. LOL .

Thanks again, I look forward to getting to know everyone.

CW 228
    GW 135
    HW 236
  • Rocky_Runa
    Rocky_Runa Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Hi 👋

I literally wanted to leave in tears today. Was helping a nonprofit with a project for a section of a grant proposal. Trying to do some personal thing for myself and get myself to another appointment on time. Ugh 😑

Yesterday... no one gave me any updates while doc ran behind. They just kept making reminder calls to patients. Their desks were just outside the exam door and it seemed to echo in the hall. Doc told me appointments were just taking longer than expected when he came in and then rushed me through a bunch of questions. He wants to do a stomach thing to verify acid reflux. But I HAVE to have a driver that is not a cab. I have no family or friends in the area at all. So I will have to cancel unless they make an exception or can do at a different site. A couple folks work 5 min away from the location by my house. But doc wants procedure done on other side of town. No one is going to leave work, drive all the way by their house to go back by their job where I live to go home again and take time off work to help me.

Results from today’s imaging should be back by the time I see my PCP next week. I just feel awful and stressed. Either I am not eating anything or shoving food in my mouth without thought at all.

Not sleeping is not helping either. I just need a break.

I’ll try to take some time to catch up more on y’all soon.

Runa
  • nygr8guy
    nygr8guy Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    nygr8guy - good morning and welcome! There are some good ideas - you dont have to do all at once, so pick one of two that seems "easiest" for you to incorporate. My idea - do you have access to stairs at work? Unless you have bad knees- once a day take one floor. Post directly above did an awesome job B) - do you take breaks?? If not start taking one a day and walk the 10-15 minutes.

I walked up and down 4 flights of steps at least 4 times today at work!
  • Tilliesmommy1
    Tilliesmommy1 Posts: 5,333 Member
    Options
    FRIDAY

Good morning and TGIF!!

Having read all the tips posted for nygr8guy I am wondering if I will adopt any of them?? We know what works, so why do we not do them? For me it is taking stairs.....

Got box of fruit/veg and have kale/cauliflower/garlic and lemon for next powerbowl (posted link last week?).

Dog got me up early - brat. Hoping for a little more sleep this morning. Rain is done for awhile which is good the ground was getting mushy.

Lurking at work doing the TGIF dance in my head.

Wave to all who follow.
  • suzu_2
    Options
    Have pedicure the day before Valentines Day and decided to get red nail polish - a first for me. I am hoping there are many shades of red??

bbl

Can't go wrong with OPI Red!! Great classic red. Have a good pamper!
    suzu

• suzu_2
    Options
    Whatever I am doing is not working. I need some accountability. I am 61 yo, work full time, and find it difficult to fit in exercise. By the time I get home at 7PM I am exhausted. I eat dinner, then I'm asleep by 8:30 to do it all over again at 5AM. I think the only way the pounds are going to come off is if I get off my butt and walk or go to the gym. I also have to get my eating back on track and not be tempted with desserts after my evening meal. How can I fit it all in?
    Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

I feel ya! Have one of those "all consuming" careers as well, and carving out time to take care of yourself is not easy! Here are the strategies I use:
    • Take the stairs whenever possible. If you get a break or lunch take a couple of stair laps if you have that option.
    • Keep healthy food at work. Snacks - Apples, oranges, yogurt, low cal popcorn... Lunch - good frozen meal...Drink water!
    • Let those around you know what you are doing and WHY. After all, keeping you healthy and productive is in their best interest.
    • Negotiate time. (with yourself and your job) ex: 2 mornings a week I will get up 30 minutes early and treadmill/bike/walk. -or- 2 days a week I will get off on time and will go to the gym. -and- I will take "X amount" of time to take care of me on either Saturday or Sunday.
    GOOD LUCK!
  • Twiley510
    Twiley510 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I have a sunnyside up egg and add a little egg whites mostly every morning.
    Today, I challenged myself. I could never meet my steps goal of 8500 per day during the week. Today, I never used the elevator at work. I walked up and down 4 flights of steps. I also had my lunch, (chicken breast strips and veggies) and took the rest of my lunch break walking outside. Since I was only at the 6400 steps level on my way home, I decided to get off the train 1 stop before my normal stop and walked the rest. As of now I have 9334 steps! So...baby steps! :-)

Great job!!