Water: 3 cups
    Organ practice: two hours
    Exercise: walking --10"
    Keeping it simple.
  • mytime6630
    mytime6630 Posts: 4,215 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    So NOW I know what "Biscuits" were!! Here I thought you guys were just talking about what we call "biscuits" -- which to me are just bread! Now, cookies are another thing I can't stop eating once I start!

@cory17 -- so sorry your union is on strike ...I hope they can come to an agreement soon for you. Plus to have bills to pay that are due. Hugs <3

@maryrobinson40 -- what we all do without you!! LOVE your positive, loving vibes!

@AJB1014: Great NSV taking a walk when you were not feeling good!

@linda1461mfp - Welcome! And if you have lost 30 pounds already ... you already know how its done!! You will do great ... and everyone here will help you! This is the best group of motivators!

@Sofia_Alegria - I don't suffer that much from depression, except mostly around the winter months and holidays. But throughout the year ... I find walking the best thing to do to lift my spirits, and exercising. Everyone told me that ... but when my father passed away... it was the only thing I could do to keep from crying all the time ... I would walk and walk. And I always came back with a peacefulness. To this day, whenever I am really down ... a walk does wonders! Thats why for me its always hard when it snows or is so cold outside! But you also reminded me to start doing this again. But you are smart ... take it easy, start out slow! You will love it!

@PackerFanInGB -- seeing lots of smiley faces! Great job!

@cschmitz110515 - your days are always so good with staying on track ... you are my inspiration! But at least your snacking was only Veggie Crisps -- it could have been much worse!

So many posts and so hard to respond to everyone ... but you guys are awesome! It is what keeps me going each day ... good or bad! One bad day does not have to turn into one bad week. Its a fresh start!

• mytime6630
    mytime6630 Posts: 4,215 Member
    Options
    asclepsia wrote: »
    Dearmytime6630: Buying a keyboard--yahoo! I just read an article saying how learning a musical instrument does so much for your brain---so go for it---learn to play it. Another advantage is stress relief--I play the organ, and you can just lose yourself in the music. (better than snacking in your free time).

OH --- I LOVE organ music! This thing supposedly has a button to make it sound like a organ. I know it will really not sound like a real organ ... but I am so excited. But ... I can't even read music!!! Hubby also bought some thing that goes on the keyboard to help me read music. BUt I so agree... I always envy people that can sit down and play beautiful music!
  • newdaydawning79
    newdaydawning79 Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    @linda1461mfp welcome!!!!
  • newdaydawning79
    Options
    @cory17 oh man, you're having a week. Hang in there!! <3
  • newdaydawning79
    edited January 2019
    Options
    JFT 1-18-19

Get the garbage out. :)
    Log all my food - stay in the green today! :)
    Drink 96oz at least of water. :)
    Stand and stretch every* hour at work. :)
    Find a healthy lunch for the day. :)
    Get a good sleep in since it's the weekend! *pending - LOL*

Today wasn't too bad! I have to admit I'm pretty pleased with myself.

JFT 1-19-19

Laundry to prep for next week
    Make a grocery list
    Log all my food - stay in the green
    Drink 96oz of water
    Take some time to read/relax
  • Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    asclepsia wrote: »
    Dearmytime6630: Buying a keyboard--yahoo! I just read an article saying how learning a musical instrument does so much for your brain---so go for it---learn to play it. Another advantage is stress relief--I play the organ, and you can just lose yourself in the music. (better than snacking in your free time).

My Grandmother bought an organ at the ripe old age of 72 and received 10 free lessons with her purchase. She continued lessons for 5 years or so, sometimes twice a week. I think it was one of her greatest pleasures. You know next to her wonderful only Granddaughter. Her mind was sharp as tack until she passed just shy of her 95th birthday.
  • toaljasa
    toaljasa Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    @mytime6630 Well done, Joan! Love love love the smilies!

I never did weight watchers but I know it has worked for many folks. And many are like you, they glean from what they learned that remains beneficial.
    Peace and joy!
  • Bex953172
    Bex953172 Posts: 4,083 Member
    Options
    oh my God I dont think I can handle this biscuit/cookie conversation.

so, when I've been saying biscuits, you all think jm eating savoury ones?!
    the savoury ones are called CRACKERS! cant believe you think I was dunking that in my tea LOL
    crackers are like cheese "biscuits" or multigrain or salt and pepper etc.

biscuits are like, rich tea, digestives, custard creams, bourbons, nice, ginger biscuits, etc etc

and over here a cookie is just 1 type of biscuit, they can be crumbly or soft. most popular is chocolate chip cookie!
  • appletospare
    appletospare Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Bex953172 wrote: »
    Sat in the car for travelling, but didn’t snack. Ate half of my pizza at a restaurant and drank lots of water. Good start of the holiday. Hope there will be healthier dinner options for vegetarians the rest of my holiday.

Well done! they're things that alot of people can find difficult! you sound so in controll of your eating!

Thanks! This is more an exception than a rule for me, but I hope I can make it more of a habit. :)
  • ZizzyBumble
    ZizzyBumble Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    Saturday 19 January

January water challenge - I really must try harder on this one!
    Log food and drink
    Plan and cook meal to have with neighbours that will keep me close to the green. The pudding will be the challenge as I'm not much of a pudding fan.
    Remember the calories in alcohol!
  • frenchfancy2014
    frenchfancy2014 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    JFT 1-18-19

Get the garbage out. :)
    Log all my food - stay in the green today! :)
    Drink 96oz at least of water. :)
    Stand and stretch every* hour at work. :)
    Find a healthy lunch for the day. :)
    Get a good sleep in since it's the weekend! *pending - LOL*

Today wasn't too bad! I have to admit I'm pretty pleased with myself.

JFT 1-19-19

Laundry to prep for next week
    Make a grocery list
    Log all my food - stay in the green
    Drink 96oz of water
    Take some time to read/relax

So you should be. Well done you - proud of you xxx
  • frenchfancy2014
    frenchfancy2014 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm from the UK, I actually joined myfitnesspal a few years ago but never got around to using it. However, between poor health and being over weight I really must get myself into the frame of things and start as I mean to go on. So this is the first thing I've ever written on here and I love the idea of daily challenges it seems so much easier to acheive. I started my calorie counting and weight loss journey on Wednesday the 16th January 2019 weighing 215 lbs. The most I weighed was 238lbs so gradually over the last year I've lost around 30lbs but yo yo dieting. So with a new determination and hopefully some help from new friends I would like to be part of this daily challenge. I am pleased to say since Wednesday I have met my challenges by sticking to my calorie and carb count. I am disabled with a lung and heart desease as well as insulin dependent diabetes so until I manage to lose quite a bit more weight I struggle to excercise. But I will log on tomorrow with my daily challenge and hopefully someone will be kind enough to befriend me so we can support each other Thanks all

Welcome and look how far you’ve come already! 30 lbs is awesome as our US cousins would say. You keep plugging away. Even cleaning and vacuuming uses calories so you don’t need to be doing high intensity stuff - we just need to not be stood down 24 hours a day🤗 keep smiling and logging
  • Bex953172
    Bex953172 Posts: 4,083 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm from the UK, I actually joined myfitnesspal a few years ago but never got around to using it. However, between poor health and being over weight I really must get myself into the frame of things and start as I mean to go on. So this is the first thing I've ever written on here and I love the idea of daily challenges it seems so much easier to acheive. I started my calorie counting and weight loss journey on Wednesday the 16th January 2019 weighing 215 lbs. The most I weighed was 238lbs so gradually over the last year I've lost around 30lbs but yo yo dieting. So with a new determination and hopefully some help from new friends I would like to be part of this daily challenge. I am pleased to say since Wednesday I have met my challenges by sticking to my calorie and carb count. I am disabled with a lung and heart desease as well as insulin dependent diabetes so until I manage to lose quite a bit more weight I struggle to excercise. But I will log on tomorrow with my daily challenge and hopefully someone will be kind enough to befriend me so we can support each other Thanks all

Hey where about in the UK do you live? I live in Cheshire!
    losing 30lbs is great! but sticking to this will be better than yoyo-ing! I think it's great sticking to your calorie goal, I always eat over and have to exercise them off (not that I'm doing that atm LOL) so with your own personal challenges meaning you struggle to exercise I think its brilliant you're sticking to the hardest part! keep it up and keep going and if you have a bad day come here and vent!
  • Faebert
    Faebert Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options
    Morning all. Have had a lazy start to the day but finally got myself going at 9:30 and have now done my workout. Heading off for lots of errands now and hoping to stay on track. Weekends so difficult - especially with the munchkins wanting treats and snacks all the time!

Friday recap
    morning workout ✅
    - Put away all the dishes, glasses etc that I washed last night ✅
    - Leave early to go to training session ✅ had to run but I just made it
    - Phone at 1pm for GP appt for daughter ✅ yes but appt scuppered hot yoga⬇️
    - Confirm play date arrangements✅
    - Hot yoga if it doesn’t clash with GP appt❎
    - Early night ❎ fell asleep fully dressed after I put the kids to bed then woke up half an hour later and snacked! 😬

Saturday goals
    - morning workout ✅
    - 2ltr water at least
    - Uniform shop
    - Pick up delivery at post office
    - Grocery shop
    - Lunch out with kids
    - Laundry
    - Homework
    - Early night

Happy weekend everyone x
  • Faebert
    Faebert Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options
    @linda1461mfp - welcome! I’m in London. There are a few of us from the UK on here.

@Bex953172 haha re dunking biscuits! I realised biscuits meant something else in the US when I read about people having them with gravy. I think they are like a sort of savoury scone but I might be wrong!

So yep - UK biscuits are crunchy, thin, sweet cookies. Digestive biscuits are the US equivalent of graham crackers. I think shortbread is the same thing on both sides of the pond!

And now I want biscuits/cookies!! Argh!
  • clicketykeys
    clicketykeys Posts: 6,568 Member
    Options
    Checking in from Friday
    1. Therapy exercises. Feed cats. Meds. Tea! Log 1 item. Post JFT by 7 AM.
    2. Before school: Update class websites. Enter late work. Email JM about PF 3rd? Print rubrics and checklists for essays. Sign for door. Email attendance about lab day. Turn in recognition cards.
    3. Class 1-2: Collect HW and PRs. Write extended scene. Print and proofread; print and proofread Laws essay and summer project. HW: Get a challenge book.
    4. Planning: Pre - Duo. A - FINISH ALL PLANS AND PRINT. B - Grade work at duty. C - Blog post. Visit B. Enter grades. Check essay requirements and get sources; update reference list.
    5. Class 4: Touch on WLGs. Collect HW and PRs. Return work; set up binders. Review POV. Basics of prepositions. Provide checklist. Type alternate-POV story.
    6. Review assessments. What is my purpose for each unit? What should the controlling ideas be in a study of world literature? Review world lit options. Drink more water. No, more. Keep the pitcher in the fridge full. You're not actually hungry. Make some tea. Drink more water!
    7. Zumba after school. Read NJC. Update Goodreads. Check recipes; update grocery list. NEED TO GET MEDS. Portion chicken.
    8. Therapy exercises. Meds. Floss, rinse, brush teeth. Thrift store Saturday? Call parents.

JFT Saturday
    1. Therapy exercises. Feed cats. Meds. Tea! Log 1 item.
    2. Leave for Y by 8:30. Strength class. Treadmill. Zumba. Duo. GET MEDS.
    3. Contact B. Check in with parents. Portion chicken.
    4. WRITE ESSAY. Update Goodreads. Wash car. Take recycling. Visit parents? Enter grades.
    5. Groceries? Thrift store! Take donations! Lang8 journal entry. Blog post.
    6. Therapy exercises. Meds. Floss, rinse, brush teeth. In bed by 9:45; devices off by 10:00. PARENT CALLS TUESDAY.

Scale goals
    End of 2017: 174.6
    End of 2018: 189.2
    Today: 188.0

Ongoing plans/ideas behind the cut
    1. Go to Mac store and see if they can retrieve the files off the iMac. Look for an "ugly Christmas sweater" and a long-haired doll at thrift stores. Practice French braiding.
    2. Create vocabulary lists for each unit that come from the texts used: Animal Farm, Julius Caesar, Wes Moore, I Am Malala. Find a way to incorporate changing words from one part of speech to another. Students need to know how to review multiple sources and synthesize information in order to draw a conclusion. Regular: needs practice with quoting & paraphrasing sources, identifying claims that would need support, use of last names for reference, and capitalization practice (common/proper nouns, titles). Honors: practice subject/object pronouns (my friend and I / my friend and me).
    3. Connect standards to assignments and include them in titles and in gradebook and lessons.
    4. Develop writing mini-unit. Review scholarly research on 5PE. (I think I can have this as an intro to the research unit so that they also get exposure to how quotes are integrated and cited.) Parallel structure; use of emotional language, specific detail. Use "Write About a Pebble" lesson from Atwell. Use the UDHR and the Declaration of Independence to study paraphrasing; use that to front-load Machiavelli and how to deal with challenging texts.
    5. Write next blog post. Comment on 3 posts each week -Tu Th Sun? Barn order: stapler, pencil sharpener
    6. Keep track of medical stuffs. Dentist? Also Feb 7 9:30 w Ac Int. Sub already set up. Apr 22 McC. Need sub. Call to set up checkups with Dass (October). GET MAGAZINES FOR COLLAGES FROM DOCTORS.
    7. Take recycling to center. Wash car.
    8. Do research on characteristics: curiosity, persistence, resilience, creativity, responsibility, optimism, courage, integrity, authenticity, leadership, self-awareness, humility, compassion - others? Can poetry unit be condensed?
    9. Go to used bookstore and look for Design for How People Learn (Julie Dirksen), On Writing (Stephen King), Dying for a Paycheck (Robin Hardman), The Prince (tr. Tim Parks, Russell Price, Harvey Mansfield, or Robert Adams). Check on alternate translations for The Prince.

@mytime6630 - One of the items on my eventually-to-do list (not included here because it's quite a ways in the distance) is playing piano again. We have one. I'm sitting not ten feet away from it. It's just that I have too much other stuff that takes priority right now. :( One day...

@Bex953172 - Wait, BISCUITS can be crumbly or soft? Or did you mean cookies?

And to any non-Yanks, the biscuit that comes with gravy is unique to the American South. They are somewhat related to scones, but they are significantly lighter, softer, and fluffier, and it's because the wheat that makes the type of flour used in in biscuits only grows in that region, and neither the wheat nor the flour ships well. They aren't really savory or sweet, kind of the way a basic bread recipe isn't, because when you start adding flavorings or mix-ins, you lose some of the fluff.

Nice mini-whoosh last night. Need to stay on track so that it continues trending downward.

Time to skedoodle! Today looks like it's going to be a full day - and it's already wet and gloppy. Ugh. I'm so ready for spring :P
  • linda1461mfp
    linda1461mfp Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Well I said I wasn't technically minded its only day 2 and I can't find the just for today post for daily challenges that I was on yesterday. HELP!!!
    My challenge for to day is to stay within my calories and so far according to my meal plan I'm on track yeah! I 've kept myself busy sorting food cupboards out and throwing things away. My aim is to be organised with food, meals and shopping etc so its easier to stick to plan. Its early days but at least the motivation is still there.
  • Snowflake1968
    Options
    Well I said I wasn't technically minded its only day 2 and I can't find the just for today post for daily challenges that I was on yesterday. HELP!!!
    My challenge for to day is to stay within my calories and so far according to my meal plan I'm on track yeah! I 've kept myself busy sorting food cupboards out and throwing things away. My aim is to be organised with food, meals and shopping etc so its easier to stick to plan. Its early days but at least the motivation is still there.

You found the group, if you scroll back a page or two you’ll find your post. To find it regularly if you click the grey star at the top right on the page you will have it show up in your notifications.
  • Snowflake1968
    Options
    Sofia_Algeria - I 100% agree that exercise helps depression. You are doing wonderful.

Clicketykeys - I remember teachers walking around checking on us. As a youngster I never thought about the teacher just that I hated her looking over my shoulder. I also had a teacher that never stood up from his desk, forgot his glasses when he was hungover and would put movies on. Looking back I learned and appreciate more the teachers that walked around. I now know they cared more.

Zizzybumble - I rarely eat out with friends or anyone so I have been known not to log it too.

Linda1461mfp - I wrote for the first time in this group at the end of March last year. I have only missed a couple days since and missed it when I did. I give so much credit to my loss so far to these ladies and the accountability this enforces. Welcome!

Toaljasa- your advice to @namelesshere is spot on. I aim to lose everyday but Sunday when I try to maintain. On Sunday’s, I make a big breakfast and a family dinner. I tried for a long time to lose on Sunday’s too, but I always failed and then felt bad. So I just try to maintain that day.
    We rarely have alcohol or any functions so weekends are very similar to our days of the week.

AJB1014 - I don’t envy you having to deal with wood piles. I love the heat wood stoves give off but I don’t ever want to deal with one again. I grew up in a cold, cold house with only wood heat. I woke every morning to smoke because my Mom couldn’t start a fire. I think my Brother was probably 9 or 10 when he took over the task most days.

Maryrobinson40 - I love the post with the picture. “Make the rest of my life, the best of my life”. Love it!!! Hope you’re feeling better.

Cory17 - that is a sucky day. Hope today is better for you.

Bex953172 - I’ve always thought all “biscuits” were cookies that you were dunking. I thought what we call biscuits is like your scone. I worked with a British lady for a while so learned some of the terminology. All this talk of biscuits though has made me want to make some.... not cookies, there are still too many of those in the freezer.

Faebert- I had to smile at your munchkins and snacks dilemma. When our Grands come to visit I have the same problem. They are on the way here now. Lauryn texted me and told me they were having first breakfast and then will be leaving. I know the first words out of the Grands Mouths will be “I’m hungry”. They have second breakfast at our house. Once breakfast is over today it is French Toast and bacon, Michaela will push her chair back and ask for a treat. She will snack all day until supper and then expect a dessert. Jonah isn’t quite as bad as she is. She insists on sharing all the treats too, literally tries to put them in your mouth....