Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Is verbal harassment common at the gym? And do women or men catch more of it?

Replies

• midlomel1971
    midlomel1971 Posts: 1,283 Member
    edited February 2019
    I have observed that a lot of women in the gym carry themselves like they are expecting to be harassed. There is very little eye contact, no smiling, and an effort not to cross paths or be in the close vicinity of others (using a treadmill that is as far away as possible from the nearest male, for example). I'm sure there is a history of deflecting unwanted attention there.

This is totally me. Not that anyone would hit on me at the gym because I'm 47 and I generally look pretty awful when I work out, but I still find myself not making eye contact with anyone, getting lost in my headphones and using equipment far away from people. Today at the gym a guy got onto the treadmill right next to me. And I got totally annoyed because then I felt really self-conscious. There are about 30 treadmills at my gym and most of them were empty and I was at the far end, so I thought it was odd. But on the other hand, some people I guess have a favorite treadmill?
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    SabAteNine wrote: »
    So.. I'm only going to a public gym for the last two months, because the thought had been a little bit terrifying for a long time. But then I started going to a local one, near me. There's all sorts of people there. Not many female lifters, so the freeweights are mostly male kingdom. Most girls that do squats, do'em on the Smith...

But guys - so far, there has NEVER been any sign of harassment, not directed to me, not to others, male or female. People are so laid back, it's fantastic. And after my first deadlift I actually stroke up conversations. Like, friendly conversations. Me. I mean..

The poster above talks about lack of eye contact - that's daily on the street. Headphones, RBF and gaze ahead. I've had that for many years, even though probably my last taxi driver catcall was ages ago. In here I actually feel comfortable for eye contact and smiling. Oh and I do the nod and everything. It's become my happy place.

That's my experience, too. Well, not the part about only going to a gym (not quite sure what the "public" gym distinction means to you -- to me it would mean a Y or county/city rec center, but I'm sense you might outside your home?) in the last few months -- I've been going to all kinds of gyms for close to 40 years. But I think I described them up-thread (or maybe in a similar thread) as pretty much the safest place I have experienced to be a woman and not have men expecting that I'm there to smile for them or talk to them or bend over for them, etc.

But I know that my experience isn't every woman's experience. There are women who've had bad experiences in gyms. Apparently there are women who have gotten through life and never experienced cat calls, unwanted touching, being called a b***h because you don't want to have a conversation with a stranger on the street who thinks you should feel complimented by the fact that they think your body looks good. We all have different experiences.

That would be me. Probably because I look like a 12yr old boy. Sometimes it's really hard to relate to people's stories of harassment because of that, but I'm not naive enough to think that it doesn't happen. And it saddens me that some women don't feel safe in a gym environment.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    SabAteNine wrote: »
    So.. I'm only going to a public gym for the last two months, because the thought had been a little bit terrifying for a long time. But then I started going to a local one, near me. There's all sorts of people there. Not many female lifters, so the freeweights are mostly male kingdom. Most girls that do squats, do'em on the Smith...

But guys - so far, there has NEVER been any sign of harassment, not directed to me, not to others, male or female. People are so laid back, it's fantastic. And after my first deadlift I actually stroke up conversations. Like, friendly conversations. Me. I mean..

The poster above talks about lack of eye contact - that's daily on the street. Headphones, RBF and gaze ahead. I've had that for many years, even though probably my last taxi driver catcall was ages ago. In here I actually feel comfortable for eye contact and smiling. Oh and I do the nod and everything. It's become my happy place.

That's my experience, too. Well, not the part about only going to a gym (not quite sure what the "public" gym distinction means to you -- to me it would mean a Y or county/city rec center, but I'm sense you might outside your home?) in the last few months -- I've been going to all kinds of gyms for close to 40 years. But I think I described them up-thread (or maybe in a similar thread) as pretty much the safest place I have experienced to be a woman and not have men expecting that I'm there to smile for them or talk to them or bend over for them, etc.

But I know that my experience isn't every woman's experience. There are women who've had bad experiences in gyms. Apparently there are women who have gotten through life and never experienced cat calls, unwanted touching, being called a b***h because you don't want to have a conversation with a stranger on the street who thinks you should feel complimented by the fact that they think your body looks good. We all have different experiences.

ditto. The gym (it's a big corporate chain gym) is quite possibly the one place I do some sort of exercise activity where I don't think I've ever had to deal with idiotic male B***kitten*. No catcalls. No fake smiling/laughing to not upset/escalate some d*psh*t who thinks I owe him my attention. (although yeah-I am still wearing ear buds and making 0 eye contact except for a few select people).
  • JaxxieKat
    JaxxieKat Posts: 427 Member
    I have observed that a lot of women in the gym carry themselves like they are expecting to be harassed. There is very little eye contact, no smiling, and an effort not to cross paths or be in the close vicinity of others (using a treadmill that is as far away as possible from the nearest male, for example). I'm sure there is a history of deflecting unwanted attention there.

That's how I am at the gym. It only took one time catching a creeper filming me doing squats on his phone and rubbing his junk through his shorts (I reported it immediately, and was told the guy was "socially awkward, but had been going there for years without incident". After that I started going at a different time and made my demeanor as unapproachable as possible. Lots of RBF.
  • InsertFunnyUsernameHere
    InsertFunnyUsernameHere Posts: 271 Member
    edited February 2019

This is totally me. Not that anyone would hit on me at the gym because I'm 47 and I generally look pretty awful when I work out, but I still find myself not making eye contact with anyone, getting lost in my headphones and using equipment far away from people. Today at the gym a guy got onto the treadmill right next to me. And I got totally annoyed because then I felt really self-conscious. There are about 30 treadmills at my gym and most of them were empty and I was at the far end, so I thought it was odd. But on the other hand, some people I guess have a favorite treadmill?

He was probably hoping to make small talk with you. Not everyone is an introvert. Some people are social butterflies and just like to meet new people no matter where they are.
  • The__Viking_Batman
    The__Viking_Batman Posts: 43 Member
    Not so much now but I'd often get women groping my arms on a night out a few times at the gym, if I did that I would be arrested 😂
  • maggibailey
    maggibailey Posts: 289 Member
    I mentioned on here that I have never been harassed at the gym. But last week I caught some very serious attitude from an older woman. I accidentally got on a machine she had apparently claimed with her eyes so she yelled at me, and I politely said, “my bad” and moved. She has been mad at me ever since! Today we crossed paths in a 4 foot hallway and she refused to share the space ( more than enough for two people) squared up and smacked me with her shoulder while i pressed against the wall. Then she did the same thing with my husband but kicked him in the ankle. I’m pretty easy going so i just waited till she was passed and laughed it off. But I wondered if she is always abrasive or just afraid of being hassled it she acts less hard at the gym.
  • Silkysausage
    Silkysausage Posts: 502 Member
    h7463 wrote: »
    Today actually, some guy comes over and starts hanging in the squat rack I was using. He ignored me when I calmly asked him to use the other free bar. He jumped down, went back up.

If I was a 250lb guy he wouldn't have dared do that but as an older 43 year old woman he had the right to do as he liked.

I reported him and he said that I gave him an obnoxious attitude. It made me cry for an hour on and off, squatting with tears.

I am not invisible 💪

One of these days, this guy might run into someone's dumbbell side lateral raises... Hugs!

😏
  • lin_be
    lin_be Posts: 393 Member
    Okay so this isn’t really harassment but I’m curious....does anybody else have a really hard time dealing with people who have headphones in and sing out loud to whatever song they’re listening to? Like the gym I go to is so small, it’s impossible for me not to get totally distracted by this guy who sings just the chorus to whatever song is in his earbuds.
  • Erik8484
    Erik8484 Posts: 458 Member
    lin_be wrote: »
    Okay so this isn’t really harassment but I’m curious....does anybody else have a really hard time dealing with people who have headphones in and sing out loud to whatever song they’re listening to? Like the gym I go to is so small, it’s impossible for me not to get totally distracted by this guy who sings just the chorus to whatever song is in his earbuds.

No I train with my own headphones in.
This discussion has been closed.