Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Is verbal harassment common at the gym? And do women or men catch more of it?

Options

Replies

• AliNouveau
    AliNouveau Posts: 36,287 Member
    Options
    smolmaus wrote: »
    I think there are certainly some people who simply want to deflect and dismiss, but sometimes it can be the way the experience is presented. If I say to my husband (or any other male in my life) 'I'm getting harassed by a guy on the street, at the gym, at work, etc.,' I'm likely going to get a sympathetic response and/or an offer to help. But if I start the scenario with 'men are jerks and pigs and your gender is awful!', they may feel defensive and point out that they are not like that. And I can't fault them for that reaction.

I'm not saying that some people still won't be completely dismissive, regardless of how it's presented.

But you're saying two completely different things there? "A guy" is singling out an individual and "your gender is awful" is explicitly including him. You're not wrong that of course the way you say things is important but I don't think that's the right example.

One of my own: "Men said gross things to me all the time when I worked retail." Men did. Not all men did. I didn't say all men did, but that statement might still get "Not all men are like that" instead of a "that's disgusting, I'm sorry that happened".
    urloved33 wrote: »

I believe in personal responsibility.

in high school my kids had a male friend who like to wear cat ears to school...and then complained about the attention he got for wearing cat ears to school

while we all would liked to wear whatever wherever whenever and just BE accepted supported and loved...that is not reality.

so much for the clothes part of this.

and as for the 80 yr old man - ick...I don't know why you continue to talk to him if he is so creepy.

If you say you would like things to be this way, why are you blaming her for wearing what she likes and not this gross old creep for stopping her? You're putting the onus to change on the wrong party here.
    AliNouveau wrote: »

I'm wearing leggings to do a sport. maybe this guy passes comments to women in the grocery store who bends over to get stuff while wearing leggings. ewww.

I avoid him but when he's on the sheet of ice beside me and all that separates us is a line drawn on the ice it's a bit hard to avoid him. I use my kind burly skip as a buffer as much as I can but if I'm holding the broom to call a shot it's hard to walk away when the perv advances.

Never in my life got more disgusting comments as when I worked in grocery. Company issue black trousers and a multi-coloured stripe button down that looked like a circus tent. It's never about what you're wearing.

He's doing it because he can, he gets off on it, and probably even more so that it makes you uncomfortable. I'm really sorry you can't relax and have fun because of this piece of work. Hey, if he's that old he might croak soon!

haha love the bolded. and if I remember correctly the butt comments where when I was wearing my curling pants which are Lululemon pants so they have the magical Lululemon properties of making all butts look amazing but I digress.
  • PapillonNoire
    PapillonNoire Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    smolmaus wrote: »
    I think there are certainly some people who simply want to deflect and dismiss, but sometimes it can be the way the experience is presented. If I say to my husband (or any other male in my life) 'I'm getting harassed by a guy on the street, at the gym, at work, etc.,' I'm likely going to get a sympathetic response and/or an offer to help. But if I start the scenario with 'men are jerks and pigs and your gender is awful!', they may feel defensive and point out that they are not like that. And I can't fault them for that reaction.

I'm not saying that some people still won't be completely dismissive, regardless of how it's presented.

But you're saying two completely different things there? "A guy" is singling out an individual and "your gender is awful" is explicitly including him. You're not wrong that of course the way you say things is important but I don't think that's the right example.

One of my own: "Men said gross things to me all the time when I worked retail." Men did. Not all men did. I didn't say all men did, but that statement might still get "Not all men are like that" instead of a "that's disgusting, I'm sorry that happened".

Yes, I was presenting two very different statements to illustrate how important presentation/communication can be. They were meant to polarizing; there is obviously a whole spectrum of how it could be presented, and thus a whole spectrum of responses.

In your example, some of the responses might be inferring something you didn't actually say (i.e. they heard "all men" even if you didn't say it). In that case, I would want to know why they made that inference. Was it just that they weren't listening? Were they actively trying to be dismissive? Had someone recently spouted off something similar to my first example (all men are jerks!), and they are already feeling defensive going in? Did I not communicate my experience clearly? I don't find it helpful to assume people have the worst of intentions. IME, many disagreements and offenses are actually just miscommunications.
  • Dansfightforlife
    Dansfightforlife Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I have never experienced that at the gym, neither as an employee nor a patron. But I tend to keep to myself when working out, and I am a big-ish guy, so that could have something to do with it.
This discussion has been closed.