Replies

• KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,412 Member
    Karen the Twins' Grandma Cute boys!

Karen in Virginia
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 17,165 Member
    edited February 2019
    :) Very weird weather here. This morning the dogs and I had great walks but my walking friend called to say that there was too much black ice and she would stay home. Yes, the roads were slippery but my Yaktrax kept me stable and comfortable. This afternoon it is much warmer and the snow is slippery, the road are mostly not icy which is bad for walking with Yaktrax but there are some thick icy patches, too, so I'm unsure about what to wear and where to walk. Fortunately, the dogs didn't want to walk much. There will be melting here for weeks to rid us of all the huge piles of snow and temps are scheduled to drop down below freezing overnight tomorrow. As usual, one has to take life one day at a time.

<3Heather, sorry to hear about your scary experience

:)Karen, cute babies and even cuter t shirts
  • okiewoman510
    okiewoman510 Posts: 1,310 Member
    Glad you are OK Heather!

Okie
  • teklawa1
    teklawa1 Posts: 678 Member
    Finally got the driveway shoveled but it is too icy to walk. I think your Yaktrax sound wonderful Barbie. Hope the snow melts but I think I will watch for a pair to keep handy for this weather. I miss my long walks. Off to shovel snow off the edges of the roof so an ice dam doesn't form... I am tired of this snow!

Betsy in NW Washington
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 10,036 Member
    Heather close call...thank goodness for your DH...I'm happily tucked in watching Grease.with the pupster
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 17,161 Member
    Lll
  • KetoneKaren
    edited February 2019
    drkatiebug wrote: »
    I’m pulling inside my shell because I have too much to do and don’t want to do any of it. I thought I was done with my taxes, but the federal one keeps being rejected and they want take the state one as long as the federal is rejected. I am at a loss to fix it. It is a simple return. I used H&R Block but it is saying one of the forms has an error. I thought I had found the mistake, unchecked one box and checked a different one, but that didn’t work. I’ve cried (didn’t help), cussed (only made me feel guilty) and eaten the rest of the Valentine candy (really not helpful and felt even more guilty, but I’m still under my calories for the day. Thank goodness there were only 5 mini pieces!) we owe them $1500. One would think they would want my return! I will get this figured out, but not today because I am done!

Dr Katie - It irritates me so much that the IRS won't tell you what item is in error. I've been through that before and it is maddening. One time it was over a $25 discrepancy in taxable income (of course they didn't tell me that, I had to figure it out by looking line by line at my return and compare it to their calculations). I finally wrote a letter and said I couldn't figure out why the discrepancy existed and that I would gladly pay the tax on the larger amount, which they accepted, but it took weeks and weeks. Another time they asked me for more information on an itemized amount...that was too small to deduct! I had filled in the itemized area - maybe business/professional expenses or something - but it wasn't enough to count. They asked me to provide more information. I wrote back and said no, I would not provide more information, but would forfeit the deduction. Which didn't exist. Because it didn't exceed the 2% (or whatever) of my income. And they accepted my letter saying I would forfeit the nonexisting deduction. But again, it took weeks and weeks. OMG. They love to reject returns. My utmost sympathies.

Karen in Virginia

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 17,161 Member
    stats for the day:

spin class- 1hdr, 124aw, 78ar, 139ahr, 158mhr, 15.8mi= 599c
    floor exercises- 4.40min, 4sets of 25ea, crunches and pelvic lifts, 107mhr= 39c
    other- shovel snow, pick up poop- 33.12min= 200c

total cal 827
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,491 Member
    Back from the races. Boy, did I get my steps in. Walked around the track, then to the mall, then back to the car, back to the mall, around the mall, back to the track, back to the car. I did go shopping. The Sears in the mall is going out of business. I’m surprised that one is and not the one in Hickory. Anyway, got a $55 pocketbook, a pair of Levi jeans, another pocketbook, and a pair of shoes…each for $16. Then I got another pair of shoes but if they don’t go with the pants I have, I can return them to any Payless in NC. Surprise! Today they only charged $20 to park, it used to be $40. Tomorrow it’ll be $40 but we’ve decided to try this lot where you park for free and they shuttle you to the racetrack.

Mary – welcome. We all use different strategies to lose weight. What works for one person doesn’t necessarily work for another.

Karen in VA – so sorry about Bailey. At least you can kind-of prepare yourself. But no matter how much you are prepared, it still hurts when it finally happens. (((HUGS)))

Pip – get better fast

You know what? I kept walking ahead of Vince and he had to stop as we were leaving the racetrack because his leg hurt. He commented that he’d walked more today than he has in the last 3 months, or so he thought. To me, while he was sitting, I was standing.

Okie – I haven’t been able to weigh myself since we’ve been down here since we don’t have a scale.

I took most of my food with me (there’s no way I was going to pay their prices)! For dinner we went to Denny’s and I had the veggie casserole. Their menu says it has something like 420 calories. And was it filling! Mushrooms, potatoes, green pepper, onion, egg whites, spinach…it was quite good. If we go there tomorrow for dinner, that’s what I’ll get again. The worst part was that it was HOT

Tracey – it’ll be a while before I get to the dwarfs and Donald. The place in NC is pouring me these Peanuts characters. Right now I’m working on the hats for these gnomes since I needed to wait until I got the paint (they discontinued carrying it since it’s more expensive then the plain paints), I’m also working on a bugs bunny. Good for you letting your daughter do the staining.

Barbara – I always say that in the summertime, I keep Coppertone in business. I love going in my pool. Vince says “do you know what you’re going to the filters with all that goop?” I just answer “well, I’d rather buy new filters than go thru skin cancer”.

Karen – what adorable shirts for twins! BTW – where are you from? Just to keep you straight from the other Karens on here

Heather – I’m so grateful to your husband

I’m thinking that Maria is paying for the baby shower. I commented that it was all the way in PA, I would have thought Denise would have had it in DE. Then again, Maria’s mother lives in PA so she probably wanted it close to the mother. I’ve asked Denise where she was getting the cake. When I told her that I messaged Maria twice and she’s never gotten back to me, Denise told me that she would ask. If Denise made the arrangement (like she let on that she did), she would have known where the cake was coming from. Denise told me “I’ll ask her”. Wish she had consulted with me. Vince said that since it’s in PA, maybe we should get a hotel near there, there’s no sense driving to DE and then to PA. But, of course, we don’t matter. I still would like the cake to say “beer bottles to baby bottles”

Michele who is going Daytona tomorrow
  • mypointhome
    mypointhome Posts: 12 Member
    edited February 2019
    Mary here! Thanks all for the warm welcome

LisalnAR - Thank you for all the advice. The heads up is a good reminder. In the past when I have done "diets" I did well in the beginning and then the scale would not move for anything; I eventually gave up. This time, I am hoping it will be different with the fact that over the past year, I have revamped my food and really focused on quality food, unprocessed etc. So now I am working on portion control and nutrients.

I also retired and have been trying to devote my energy to educating myself about nutrition. Hopefully this won't be like the "diet" scene where I plateau for a long period of time. Recently, after I lost a few pounds, I plateaued for about 4 days with no weight loss, I even gained a 1 lb. I changed up my percentages of fat, carbs and proteins and the scale started to move again. MFP has been so helpful and a real eye opener that food and weight loss IS a science.

I have been tired for sometime but since the change in macro's etc it seems more prevalent. I'm trying to work on a more consistent bedtime and wake up time to keep me in a bit of a routine.

teklawa1 - I will look into Dr. Mosley's IF and see what info I can learn to help me on my journey. I've been reading
    FOOD; What the heck should I eat, AND Eat Fat, Get Thin, by Dr. Mark Hyman, and The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Living.

Barbiecat - You sound super active! I am impressed. I have been so inactive for so many years, and had some surgery a few years ago, that literally had me on my bottom with feet in the air for 3 months. I lost so much muscle mass and strength it was unbelievable. I am now exercising only about 3 hours a week but plan to continue increasing that. The last few weeks, I joined a water aerobics class 3 days a week and it has been great to get back in the water. I am then trying to add lap swimming after the class. The first week, I could barely swim 2 laps without stopping. I've worked my way up to 12 laps in continuous motion, (no stopping) then resting and back floating with a little meditation and practice of breathing. Then back at a few more laps at a sprint before finishing off. Each week I hope to build my exercise routine. I began with a trainer in the weight room this week and will try some machines 2x weekly for only 20 minutes to start. I have to watch out for chronic pain from overuse.
    *********************************************************************************************************************

Somewhere, I read about small habits and that just making a few little changes can have such a great impact. So this past week I committed to
    *eat only at the table
    *drink 80 oz of water a day
    *Dig out the FitBit and walk
    *Track ALL food before it goes in your mouth! (except when out to eat :o(

WHAT SMALL HABIT HAVE YOU ADOPTED TO HELP YOU IN YOUR JOURNEY?

Mary
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,700 Member
    Hi Gals,

I am rarely on facebook, but got on to message someone I have no other way to contact and found this

You are holding a cup of coffee when someone comes along and bumps into you ...or shakes your arm... making you spill your coffee everywhere.
    Why did you spill the coffee?
    "Well because someone bumped into me, of course!"
    🚫Wrong answer.
    You spilled the coffee because there was coffee in your cup.
    Had there been tea in the cup, you would have spilled tea.
    💥Whatever is inside the cup, is what will spill out.💥
    Therefore, when life comes along and shakes you (which WILL happen), whatever is inside you will come out. It's easy to fake it, until you get rattled.
    🤔So we have to ask ourselves... “what's in my cup?"
    When life gets tough, what spills over?
    💖Joy, gratefulness, peace and humility?
    😳Or anger, bitterness, harsh words and reactions?
    You choose! 💯
    What you tune into, you turn into.
    What will you pour into your cup in 2019?

It just spoke to me.

Machka – so glad to hear that you found the right Dr. and it seems slow and easy will be the key to healing! And even if you can’t do those stretches 100% you can always gain a little bit, and every little bit is good! In my last yoga class and she was just like you a long distance cyclist and had very tight hamstrings, but by the end of a couple of years was doing some of those stretches and was touching her ankles (from just above her knee) in toe touches…Slow and gentle.

Kelly – sounds like “tough love” and you were clear with both the parent and DH and your requests were not at all unreasonable. Hang in there.

Allie – If the security cameras are for “big brother” as well as true security – they will catch Mary wandering around…

Kylie – sending good thoughts to Aubrey and her family

Karen in Virginia – ((((((((((((hugs))))))))))))))00

Mary – welcome!

Heather – Give DH a hug from us! Always look both ways! Who knows what nut case could be driving the wrong way!
    Kim from N. California
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    :)
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Kylia Continued prayers and thoughts going your way. :heart:

Okie: Love the photo of you and your friend. It sounds like the drama tournament would be fun. :smiley:

Tracey in Edmonton: I come from a long line of advice givers. I don’t like getting unrequested advice, and I find myself dishing it out more than I’d care to admit. I’m working on keeping my advice to myself unless it is asked for. It is a work in progress that needs LOADS of improvement. :embarassed:

Margaret: I applaud your attitude about being financially fit. It is an excellent concept. We work at it, but DH is the main person who does the work. I’m lucky to have him. :star:

Allie: Alfie is a cutie! :smiley:

Karen: I love the twin’s shirts—buy one, get one free. Cute babies! Twin grandsons are such a blessing. You are a lucky woman. :heart:

(((Heather))) That was a close call. I’m glad your DH saved you from what could have been a disaster. :heart:

Barbie: I am amazed by your continued snowy situation. I hope you will stay safe. If it gets so bad your yaktrax can’t handle the conditions, the dogs can veg at home and you can ride your bike and watch TV. We’ve been spared nearly all of the snow and ice. We just had a little snow and it is gone. :flowerforyou:

Cheryl in Northern IL: Congratulations! 2.6 pounds lost in 17 days is good progress. “Soon to be 60, fit and having fun” is an excellent and encouraging motto! :star:

(((Dr Katie))): Oh my. You clearly have too much going on just now. Sorry about the tax tangle. You’ll get it all turned in, I’m sure, but (((hugs))) in the meantime.

Posbey: Welcome!

Mary: Welcome to a great group. It looks like you are off to a promising start. We have another Mary as well. could you add a last initial? :star:

I went out to the stable this afternoon and worked with Arrow for an hour or so. I lunged him on a long line and did not ride. He was a handful, but not naughty. I’ve been away from the stable for almost a month due to low energy on my part. I haven’t caught anything that can be named, but I have not had spare energy for much of anything. Today was a bit better. I’m hoping tomorrow is even better than today.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon
  • KetoneKaren
    Heather I got chills reading the account of your near miss. So glad your husband was alert & loud. :)

Karen in Virginia
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,519 Member
    klanders30 wrote: »
    Well we walked 7 miles yesterday and is our tradition to wander without purpose our first night somewhere new to us. Last night in Florence we ate really terrific pizza (I had a small order) and was not in the least tempted by gelato—am saving that for our last night. Today we visit David, (THE David) and Uffizi museums and will try to take a few pics. We leave Florence Wednesday for where?—- we haven’t decided yet!!! We fly home Saturday morning.

Stay safe and strong ladies. NYKAREN

Sounds wonderful!

And we do that too when we go to a new place ... go for a long walk to explore. :)

M in Oz

• Machka9
    Sunday -- Cycling: meandering around a local town on a beautiful early evening, and acquiring an unexpected QOM!

Distance: 15.44km
    Elevation: 112m
    Moving Time: 1:02:40
    Elapsed Time: 1:11:38
    Speed: Avg: 14.8km/h | Max: 27.0km/h

Machka in Oz
  • Machka9
    Review ... (Distances include cycling + walking + a bit of running)
    Mar-15 … 489.8 km (304.3 miles) = 38 hours 4 min
    Apr-15 … 491.94 km (305.6 miles) = 43 hours 6 min
    May-15 … 361.81 km (224.8 miles) = 35 hours 50 min
    Jun-15 … 569.53 km (353.9 miles) = 41 hours 53 min
    Jul-15 … 230.7 km (143.35 miles) = 32 hours 45 min
    Aug-15 … 211.3 km (131.3 miles) = 28 hours 8 min
    Sep-15 … 306.7 km (190.6 miles) = 35 hour 2 min
    Oct-15 … 441.82 km (274.5 miles) = 47 hours 43 min
    Nov-15 … 660.21 km (410.23 miles) = 60 hours 41 min
    Dec-15 … 499.91 km (282.8 miles) = 54 hours 56 min
    Jan-16 … 864.79 km (537.35 miles) = 65 hours 36 min
    Feb-16 … 470.53 km (292.4 miles) = 40 hours 39 min
    Mar-16 … 917.73 km (570.2 miles) = 66 hours 13 min
    Apr-16 … 417.83 km (259.6 miles) = 40 hours 23 min
    May-16 … 267.09 km (165.9 miles) = 36 hours 10 min
    Jun-16 … 552.1 km (343 miles) = 54 hours 48 min
    Jul-16 … 709 km (440.5 miles) = 60 hours 41 minutes
    Aug-16 … 775.9 km (482.1 miles) = 54 hours 52 minutes
    Sep-16 … 371.3 km (230.7 miles) = 32 hours 20 min
    Oct-16 … 649 km (403.3 miles) = 49 hours 46 min
    Nov-16 … 403 km (250.4 miles) = 52 hours 16 min
    Dec-16 … 511.05 km (317.55 miles) = 52 hours 2 min
    Jan-17 … 741.9 km (461.0 miles) = 70 hours 3 min
    Feb-17 … 600.5 km (373.1 miles) = 57 hours 30 min
    Mar-17 … 1113.2 km (691.7 miles) = 78 hours 25 min
    Apr-17 … 1181.9 km (734.4 miles) = 76 hours 45 min
    May-17 … 426.6 km (265.1 miles) = 39 hours 21 min
    Jun-17 … 575.7 km (357.7 miles) = 41 hours 53 min
    Jul-17 … 714 km (443.7 miles) = 52 hours 23 min
    Aug-17 … 475.8 km (295.6 miles) = 38 hours 41 min
    Sep-17 … 455.5 km (283 miles) = 41 hours 25 min
    Oct-17 … 647.1 km (402.1 miles) = 57 hours 19 min
    Nov-17 … 427.0 km (265.3 miles) = 50 hours 4 min
    Dec-17 … 553.5 km (343.9 miles) = 52 hours 12 min
    Jan-18 … 590.2 km (366.7 miles) = 57 hours 49 min
    Feb-18 … 826.9 km (513.8 miles) = 57 hours 35 min
    Mar-18 … 582.01 km (361.6 miles) = 50 hours 11 min
    Apr-18 … 176.23 km (109.5 miles) = 29 hours 47 min
    May -18 … 167.6 km (104.1 miles) = 29 hours 08 min
    June-18 … 349.9 km (217.4 miles) = 36 hours 58 minutes
    July-18 ... 324.2 km (201.5 miles) = 24 hours 26 minutes
    Aug-18 ... 210.1 km (130.6 miles) = 25 hours 59 minutes
    Sep-18 ... 261.7 km (162.6 miles) = 25 hours 11 minutes
    Oct-18 ... 230.8 km (143.4 miles) = 30 hours 15 minutes
    Nov-18 ... 216.8 km (134.7 miles) = 30 hours 3 minutes
    Dec-18 ... 285.2 km (177.2 miles) = 37 hours 49 minutes
    Jan-19 ... 241.6 km (150.1 miles) = 27 hours 2 minutes

Goal: Get some exercise in February.

PT thought I had a fractured right hip (stress fracture). MRI says ligament damage + torn cartilage.

Friday, 1 February 2019 ... 0.9 km hobbling
    Saturday, 2 February 2019 ... 0.0 rest day!
    Sunday, 3 February 2019 ... 0.0 rest day!
    Monday, 4 February 2019 ... 1.3 km slow walking
    Tuesday, 5 February 2019 ... 0.80 km slow walking
    Wednesday, 6 February 2019 ... 1.3 km slow walking
    Thursday, 7 February 2019 ... 0.8 km slow walking

Friday, 8 February 2019 ... 5.7 km slow walking with breaks
    Saturday, 9 February 2019 ... 3.9 km slow walking with breaks + 20 km cycling
    Sunday, 10 February 2019 ... 4 km slow walking with breaks + 21 km cycling
    Monday, 11 February 2019 ... 1.5 km slow walking with breaks
    Tuesday, 12 February 2019 ... 2 km walking + 4 flights of 20 stairs

Wednesday, 13 February 2019 ... 3 km walking + 2 flights of 20 stairs
    Thursday, 14 February 2019 ... 2.5 km walking + 4 flights of 20 stairs
    Friday, 15 February 2019 ... 2.6 km walking + 6 flights of 20 stairs
    Saturday, 16 February 2019 ... 5 km walking + 15.19 km cycling
    Sunday, 17 February 2019 ... 15.44 km cycling

2019 Monthly February
    Walking Distance (km): 35.3
    Walking Time (min): 441.3
    Cycling Distance (km): 71.6
    Cycling Time (min): 226.2
    Stairs Climbed Number: 16.0
    Stairs Climbed Time (min): 12.8

Totals
    Total Distance (km): 106.9
    Total Distance (miles): 66.4
    Total Time (min): 680.3
    Total Time (hr): 11:20:15
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,907 Member
    edited February 2019
    Machka9 wrote: »

I put it in my blog here on MFP, so you might be able to read it there ...

https://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Machka9/view/how-to-recover-from-10-types-of-demotivation-965811

Machka in Oz

Thank you so much for this article. Heaps of food for thought.
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 10,036 Member
    I am up and dressed and having my tea.. going to feed DFIL this morning.. this week he hasn't really eaten at all in the mornings Tom went down at lunch and fed him... we shall see how he does, I don't know if this is another ramp down with his dementia but we will keep doing what we are doing...
    the painter dropped off his supplies yesterday and will stop down to work tomorrow and get the fob to get in, maybe I will just get my sons and leave it with him.. while he paints..that way he just has to stop and get the fob
    I will do some more cleaning and packing up so he has a clean slate..
    Like I said I am just going to postpone my colonoscopy until April when weather is better and my brother will be around to take me.. i am giving them enough notice