Pet peeves

Options

Replies

• jasamjak67
    jasamjak67 Posts: 1,421 Member
    Options
    Saying good morning to a coworker and receiving a look and no response.
  • foxtrot1965
    foxtrot1965 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    jasamjak67 wrote: »
    Saying good morning to a coworker and receiving a look and no response.

super inconsiderate of people to do things like that, also a pet peeve of mine
  • jasamjak67
    Options
    entitlement relative to rank; I don't care if you are VP

I worked for an organization where the owner would NEVER say hello to anyone unless you say hello to him first. A total DB.

• CoffeeAndContour
    CoffeeAndContour Posts: 1,466 Member
    Options
    Parents that feel shaming their chikdren is an effective form of discipline.

It’s scary to me, how many parents feel it is an appropriate way to punish. You should have seen this Mother this morning at drop off, yelling at her son and name calling him through the car window because he closed the door a little hard. I think if I was anywhere that wasn’t in front of my sons school it would have turned ugly. Some people really just don’t deserve the kids they are blessed with.

Actually... Embarrassment can be a very affective parenting tool... If use properly

But I would agree, all that lady did was prove that she can't handle her kid...

I work with kids everyday who’s parents have that same mentality and I assure you it is not an effective form of discipline. The effects are often long lasting, sometimes devasting and a recipe for disaster when considering your child’s emotional health. It’s not my business how you parent your child or if you even use this as a tool for punishment but if so I suggest you read up on the subject matter. That’s all I will say here because I am very passionate about the subject at hand and it isn’t appropriate for here.
  • foxtrot1965
    foxtrot1965 Posts: 133 Member
    Options

I worked for an organization where the owner would NEVER say hello to anyone unless you say hello to him first. A total DB.

I work in IT, and will let nice people jump the queue. Execs better be having a serious issue if they are going to be rude and want quick service.
  • jasamjak67
    Options

I work in IT, and will let nice people jump the queue. Execs better be having a serious issue if they are going to be rude and want quick service.

I work in IT too...oh it is a wonderful feeling when someone arrogant and rude does not realize that something which usually takes me 15 minutes to solve - I deliver to them in 3 days!

• Tigg_er
    Tigg_er Posts: 22,001 Member
    Options

I work in IT too...oh it is a wonderful feeling when someone arrogant and rude does not realize that something which usually takes me 15 minutes to solve - I deliver to them in 3 days!

Ya never piss the guy off who is working on your car till after he's done ! Your bill will be a lot lower :)
  • jasamjak67
    Options
    Tigg_er wrote: »

Ya never piss the guy off who is working on your car till after he's done ! Your bill will be a lot lower :)

I just don't understand why some people believe they are above others. we all bleed red my friend!

• Tigg_er
    Options

I just don't understand why some people believe they are above others. we all bleed red my friend!

Yep and pants go on one leg at a time !!
  • Tigg_er
    Options

Yep and pants go on one leg at a time !!

Uhhhhhhh?....... Speak for yourself
    nwddmsw7u8i2.gif

Lol ,,,ya but it took three guys
  • CoffeeAndContour
    CoffeeAndContour Posts: 1,466 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options

It’s scary to me, how many parents feel it is an appropriate way to punish. You should have seen this Mother this morning at drop off, yelling at her son and name calling him through the car window because he closed the door a little hard. I think if I was anywhere that wasn’t in front of my sons school it would have turned ugly. Some people really just don’t deserve the kids they are blessed with.

maybe the lady was having a really bad day and lost it and felt bad like 2.5 seconds later bc i’ve yelled at my kid i would be really surprised if any parent hadn’t yelled and felt bad about it tbh

Sure, we’ve all yelled at our kids from time to time. That’s wasn't what made me think what I did. It was the names she was yelling at her son. I hope most parents aren’t calling their children a POS and a bastärd while yelling it out the window in front of their school because they closed the door a little hard. Then suddenly and calmly they turn their head back to their youngest and say “have a good day sweetie” like nothing even happened. I can’t think of any excuse that warrants treating children that way.
  • Mr_Healthy_Habits
    Mr_Healthy_Habits Posts: 12,588 Member
    Options

Actually... Embarrassment can be a very affective parenting tool... If use properly

I work with kids everyday who’s parents have that same mentality and I assure you it is not an effective form of discipline. The effects are often long lasting, sometimes devasting and a recipe for disaster when considering your child’s emotional health. It’s not my business how you parent your child or if you even use this as a tool for punishment but if so I suggest you read up on the subject matter. That’s all I will say here because I am very passionate about the subject at hand and it isn’t appropriate for here.

I think we're talking about two different things here...

Example...

When I was young and got out of line, one of the threats I would commonly here was... I'm going to tell your grandfather...

For me, this was the absolute worst thing ever...
    I just couldn't bare his dissapointment, it was well, embarrassing for him to see me like that...

I'm not talking about publicly shaming your kid 😂... Of course I would never do that

But at the same time, you also can't be afraid to get ahold of them when they need it sometimes... People around or not...

Another ex... When you make a kid say sorry, it's the embarrassment that's really the teacher

• Tigg_er
    Options

I think we're talking about two different things here...

Example...

When I was young and got out of line, one of the threats I would commonly here was... I'm going to tell your grandfather...

For me, this was the absolute worst thing ever...
    I just couldn't bare his dissapointment, it was well, embarrassing for him to see me like that...

I'm not talking about publicly shaming your kid 😂... Of course I would never do that

But at the same time, you also can't be afraid to get ahold of them when they need it sometimes... People around or not...

Another ex... When you make a kid say sorry, it's the embarrassment that's really the teacher

+1
  • shaf238
    shaf238 Posts: 4,021 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    THIS.

People at my workplace will literally refer to you by your salary grading.
  • RhiAnLewis17
    RhiAnLewis17 Posts: 2,299 Member
    Options
    shaf238 wrote: »
    THIS.

NOT COOL
  • bojack5
    bojack5 Posts: 2,859 Member
    Options
    THIS.

NOT COOL

Unless you are in the military.....then your rank is also your paygrade and thats exactly what you get called by.
  • RhiAnLewis17
    edited February 2019
    Options
    bojack5 wrote: »
    THIS.

NOT COOL

Unless you are in the military.....then your rank is also your paygrade and thats exactly what you get called by.

Maybe, but if you're not it's just disrespectful.
    And, that's your rank. Not your salary. I feel like there's a difference. A rank can be a reminder of your achievements.
  • bojack5
    bojack5 Posts: 2,859 Member
    Options
    THIS.

NOT COOL

And, that's your rank. Not your salary. I feel like there's a difference. A rank can be a reminder of your achievements.

No, rank is also your paygrade and the vast majority of rank is earned through time served not on specific achievement. When you are a private you can be called as such and it is your paygrade of E1......enlisted one.....in the Marine corp which i served the next rank is PFC, private first class....E2....then Lance Corporal.....E3.....and so on. Its not disrespectful its what you have earned to that point and nobody has issue with it.

Now the military is different then the civilian world, but in say, the union construction trades. They have titles of mechanic to apprentice.....which is exactly their pay grade.

At first glance i thought i had an issue with people being called by their paygrade, but at second look i dont think its a big deal. I think context is important in how its done, and that would be my only issue.
  • RhiAnLewis17
    Options
    THIS.

NOT COOL

No, rank is also your paygrade and the vast majority of rank is earned through time served not on specific achievement. When you are a private you can be called as such and it is your paygrade of E1......enlisted one.....in the Marine corp which i served the next rank is PFC, private first class....E2....then Lance Corporal.....E3.....and so on. Its not disrespectful its what you have earned to that point and nobody has issue with it.

Now the military is different then the civilian world, but in say, the union construction trades. They have titles of mechanic to apprentice.....which is exactly their pay grade.

At first glance i thought i had an issue with people being called by their paygrade, but at second look i dont think its a big deal. I think context is important in how its done, and that would be my only issue.

I was referring to it being disrespectful in terms of the civilian population. When I see the word 'salary' I imagine that means referring to someone as a number.
    Maybe it's just me, but I consider length of time served to be an achievement.