The Sober Squad- Alcohol Free Living

Options

Replies

• SunnyDays930
    SunnyDays930 Posts: 1,486 Member
    Options
    @Ed_Zilla Craving sweets is VERY common when you stop drinking. A lot of us have had that issue. My weakness is peanut M & M's.
  • RubyRed427
    RubyRed427 Posts: 4,158 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    JenT304 wrote: »
    @Ed_Zilla Craving sweets is VERY common when you stop drinking. A lot of us have had that issue. My weakness is peanut M & M's.

I notice once I open the door to buying my fav sweets, I am doomed. I’m an all or nothing girl,.... LOL hence the drinking problem. :D
  • kcn2bluesky
    kcn2bluesky Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Ed_Zilla wrote: »
    While I was drinking, I rarely, if ever ate sweet things like cake, ice cream, candy, etc. I didn't want it and never cared for it. Now that I am AF, sweet things are truly AMAZING. I really have to watch it because, you know - ice cream.

I am not sure why I find sweets so delightful now. Has anyone else experienced this or a similar change in tastes when going AF?

I experienced this as well when I stopped drinking any alcohol in Jan 2018. For a few months after quitting alcohol I ate a dessert type item every day. I gained ~5 pounds over the course of the past year, but I'm still within a few pounds of my maintenance range, so I'm not worried at all and am working now on losing those 5 pounds.

I've read that craving sweet foods is very common after quitting drinking, so you definitely have lots of company! :smiley:
  • SallyLuvsFitness
    SallyLuvsFitness Posts: 13,724 Member
    Options
    RubyRed427 wrote: »
    JenT304 wrote: »

I notice once I open the door to buying my fav sweets, I am doomed. I’m an all or nothing girl,.... LOL hence the drinking problem. :D

Understand! 🙋‍♀️
  • RubyRed427
    Options
    :/
    We had pasta 🍝 last night with my husbands sauce. I have been doing great with no drinking! We planned on opening a special bottle of wine. I was in a great mood and my husbands mood turned for the worst (we are human) while we were drinking wine. My attitude turned (not blaming hubby) and went into screw it attitude (not like me). I went and hit the whiskey bottle, not a good decision and opened another bottle of wine, another really bad idea. Needless to say, we fought and I was a complete jerk.

Today, I feel like crap! There is a reason why I stopped drinking and AF for me! I am disappointed in myself; however, I will step up and move forward in a positive way! 🙋‍♀️💃👍👏

Being hungover 😵 no fun! And I didn’t workout today.... My own fault for being hungover... I am SO glad that I have been doing so well and not letting alcohol control me. Last night was a huge mistake!

That was a good lesson actually. Sometimes, we think “oh what could be the harm.. have a few drinks.. i can handle it.” And then it happens- you drink. And All the terrible reasons you quit come back to you. Then, you feel badly that you ruined your streak and you were feeling so good without alcohol. Many of us (and especially me) have been there. :/ Ouch having a hangover again is such a harsh reminder of how poisonous alcohol is to our bodies. It also reminds us how great we feel without it. So healthy, so calm....

But please, don’t fret about it too much. You have been doing so very well. Don’t let a slip up derail you. Get back on track. Forgive each other for the harsh words. I like that you said you will step up and move forward. That is the right attitude. One bad day doesn’t ruin all the positive days you’ve had. Sending you a big hug. I have been there. And with each slip up, we get stronger and stronger. <3
  • RubyRed427
    Options
    NormInv wrote: »
    Thankfully I do not have a sweet tooth but I do indulge in a treat maybe once a week. Halo ice cream is usually around 300 calories which is very doable

I also like frozen greek yogurt bars from Whole Paycheck

when i was drinking, i would avoid sugars and sweets until i was done drinking. sugar really dampened the buzz effect for me and so i did not indulge until i was done...

Ha! I assume Whole Paycheck is Whole Foods??? If it is, that is so clever and TRUE.
    Halo is great , but I cant have it in the house, because i will eat the whole pint. Like I said before moderation is not my strong point. :D
  • RubyRed427
    Options
    Drummer913 wrote: »
    Yep! Me too! Never craved sugar till I went AF! It's ok, sugar doesn't turn me into a nasty A-hole...but Alcohol does. I will gladly manage my sugar calories to be a better person.

Good one! True!
  • RubyRed427
    Options
    whitpauly wrote: »
    Count me in on the sugar :( but my alcohol site says that eating sugar actually increases cravings for alcohol, not too sure of the validity but I can't give up my sweets yet,have a great AF day all <3

I can see why that may be so. Sugar is sugar.... and it is highly addictive. I felt sooo good in November when I cut it out for 30 days.