how to not hate exercise?

12345679»

Replies

• laurenq1991
    laurenq1991 Posts: 384 Member
    edited February 2019
    My sympathy for your parental situation, seriously. Mine were just straight up physically abusive, and the damage pops up years later when you least expect it. The thing is, it's not your parents whose lives are getting screwed up now, it's yours, and it's on you to deal with it, because no one else is going to.

Oh there was tons of physical abuse from my mom too. My dad just let it happen and eventually abandoned us. She only stopped after CPS investigated her. Which she blamed us for.

I am dealing with it. I have actually been making progress every year. MFP people may not think it's fast enough for their standards. But they also don't know how bad things were five years ago, or even two years ago.

• Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,454 Member
    savithny wrote: »
    What I noticed about your "I hate" list is that a lot of it is just plain negative, and its not all about exercise.
    You don't like other people's music.
    You don't like other drivers.
    You don't like dogs.
    You don't like changing your clothes.
    You don't like sweat.

I believe that I have legitimate reasons for not liking these things.

I don't think anyone likes having to listen to music they hate blasted at top volume with no way to escape it, especially when they are already doing something they're not a fan of. I love many kinds of music but generally not most pop music which is usually what is played. I don't know why businesses feel this need to force music on people. What's wrong with silence and letting people choose if they want to listen to something, and what to listen to?

I hate the *kitten* pop music played at my gym.

Here is a solution to one of your issues, noise cancelling headphones $22.99:

https://www.amazon.com/Bluetooth-Headphones-Earphones-Sweatproof-Cancelling/dp/B07N53L99D/ref=sr_1_14?ie=UTF8&qid=1550806374&sr=8-14&keywords=noise+cancelling+headphones+sport
  • Silentpadna
    Silentpadna Posts: 1,306 Member
    OP, outside of exercise, what are things that you like and why do you like them? What gives you passion?

Is there anything you doubted early on, but changed your mind on over time and are now passionate about?

Yep. These are leading questions.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    edited February 2019
    I empathise with so much of your posts, OP, especially the delayed sleep phase disorder. I agree that general sleeplessness is probably making your goals seem more insurmountable. I find exercise mitigates my sleeping issues to an extent.

Some thoughts:

1) it doesn't have to be full-pelt, sweat dripping down your face levels of activity to qualify as exercise and improve your health.

2) any possibility your energy levels could be due to nutritional deficiencies? Have you already been able to discount that?

3) Perhaps the kinds of activity you've tried so far just aren't right for you. To use running as an example, some people are more comfortable running short distances very fast, and other people like to go a bit more slowly for a lot longer. Neither is superior to the other.

4) Arrange your hatreds in priority order and separate them into an Absolutely No Way list and a Can Possibly Begrudgingly Endure list. Then set up a new list called, What I Want My Form of Exercise To Have. If that doesn't give you ideas on what to try, posting your lists on MFP will get you overwhelmed with suggestions!

Thanks for all the suggestions. The sleep problems definitely mess up my whole life. I can't have any routine because of it, since I never know when I will sleep or get up or how many hours I will sleep. My whole life would be different if I didn't have insomnia. Last night I couldn't sleep until 7 am. I got up at noon, the original goal was 9:30 but I knew I would be too tired to get anything done with under three hours sleep. I was also too tired to work out today since I had more important things to preserve my energy for, like work and cooking. It messes up my concentration and cognitive functioning too.

I thought "vigorous exercise" is what the expert recommendations call for. That's why I want to do exercise besides walking.

http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/HealthyLiving/PhysicalActivity/FitnessBasics/American-Heart-Association-Recommendations-for-Physical-Activityin-Adults_UCM_307976_Article.jsp#.XHAw5OhKiUk
    AHA Recommendation

For Overall Cardiovascular Health:

At least 30 minutes of moderate-intensity aerobic activity at least 5 days per week for a total of 150

OR
    At least 25 minutes of vigorous aerobic activity at least 3 days per week for a total of 75 minutes; or a combination of moderate- and vigorous-intensity aerobic activity

AND
    Moderate- to high-intensity muscle-strengthening activity at least 2 days per week for additional health benefits.

For Lowering Blood Pressure and Cholesterol
    An average 40 minutes of moderate- to vigorous-intensity aerobic activity 3 or 4 times per week

This includes things like climbing stairs or playing sports. Aerobic exercises benefit your heart, and include walking, jogging, swimming or biking. Strength and stretching exercises are best for overall stamina and flexibility.

The simplest, positive change you can make to effectively improve your heart health is to start walking. It's enjoyable, free, easy, social and great exercise. A walking program is flexible and boasts high success rates because people can stick with it. It's easy for walking to become a regular and satisfying part of life.

From the experts...

If you want to start engaging in exercise that is of higher intensity, I would suggest introducing it slowly. Fitness is something that is built over time and not something you can rush. But walking is just fine and is considered moderate exercise.
  • Chelle8070
    Chelle8070 Posts: 163 Member
    I eat differently day to day depending on what time I'm going to work out - and I try and have a protein bar or a banana or something semi dense but not overly filling 30-60 minutes before I work out... otherwise I can FEEL my weakness mid workout.

800-1000 calories feels like a lot for a first meal, but I'm no professional. I think I stick in the 250-300 range for breakfast.

And I like what Cheryldumais said and your response to her too - try your best to NOT compare yourself with others. You're only in competition with yourself. We're all wired differently <3
  • timeforwork
    timeforwork Posts: 114 Member
    Hi, lots of comments on here that are helpful and lots that are just critical. My view is the best thing you can do is firstly stop thinking of it as exersize with a view to get fit, instead make an aim to try as many different activities that challenge your body as possible and do as many as poss 2-3 times each, make a list of them and score them on a 1-5 scale on how much you enjoyed them, 1-5 on how you found them physically both at the time and afterwards. This allows you to look back and hopefully find something you feel you can get on with. Secondary you said financially you are well enough off, now this could mean anything from ou can feed yourself daily to you can buy a second home, new car and a boat tomorrow if you wanted. ( I'm uk so although you mentioned money figures I can't relate too well to them) but you need to stop thinking of yourself as unworthy of having that money spent on you weather it is for health care or an activity you enjoy so if you for example try and love rock climbing but it costs X to get there ( no car) and X for the session so what? If you enjoy it and it improves your mood and body and you can afford it then do it, you are important and your ( excess) money should be spent on things you enjoy. Obviously if you are trying to save money or you have less than I think you post surge sets then you would need to factor it in more but please don't write something you enjoy or need of just because it's not free and you don't feel worthy enough to spend money on it. Also I know you have said your not overweight but that doesn't mean your diet it right for you, you sound an active person so just double check you are getting enough from your food and you may find by adjusting macros you can gain a little more energy. With regard to sleep/ energy my only way I can relate is although I love my bed and can fall asleep any chance I get I work 12 - 14 hour nights 6 days a week and then care for my 2 children during the day and I'm always tired but it my choice if I'm a grumpy tired or I fake happiness and energy. It's hard but after 10 years of this I'm physically and mentally tired but I'm also now able to smile and be genuinely happy and go about my day with enough energy to get through, it's not the same as after I've had a good sleep but don't underestimate the power of positive thoughts and faking it if needed, it won't change the underlining problems and isn't easy to do but well worth it . as an example you hate getting sweaty but if you do a hard 15 min workout at home then jump straight in the shower and then clean clothes eventually your thought process on sweat will adjust as you are only uncomfatable for a short time followed by something you ( presuamalbly ) find pleasant. Eventually your tolerance to sweat will increase to where you can either be sweating for slightly longer or you can get sweaty but are OK to wait for a few mins for your shower. What ever you choose good luck x
  • JenniferAndres
    JenniferAndres Posts: 28 Member
    For me, I have found, that remembering that it’s not a race, it’s not a competition, and I can go at my own pace- helps tremendously.
  • Nneekers
    Nneekers Posts: 1 Member
    I hate exercise also. The only thing I slightly enjoy is dancing , but only if no one is home and I can play music that really moves me!
  • zeldon919
    zeldon919 Posts: 118 Member
    OP I know you said you aren’t checking this anymore, but none the less.
    I also hate exercise (less, and for different reasons), and am hoping to work on that, how I found this thread.

First off, some of the negative comments are absolutely inappropriate and you (no one) deserves that.

A few thoughts/suggestions:
    *Because you’ve had some negative experiences with therapy, maybe a support group could be beneficial alternative. It’s not 1-1, the people there have similar issues so won’t judge, and it can only be helpful. And they have them for tons of issues.
    *there are GPs that are experienced with mental health issues. Try to find one to talk to about medication and/or lifestyle changes that could help with the insomnia and mental health issues, instead of conventional therapy.
    *if you find the exercise bike boring, find a show you like and only allow yourself to watch it while on the bike. It’s motivating and it cuts the monotony. I do that on my phone when I go to the gym (rare occasions, but I’m working on it)
    *you indicate that you can be motivated by stressful situations. Sign up for a race and prepare for that. Pay for it. Tell everyone you know you’re doing a 10k (or whatever is realistic for you). That way you’re forced to prepare for it and complete it.
    *you don’t like sweating, and you want to tone. I recommend yoga. Some of the fitest and most toned people I know do it largely through yoga. It doesn’t seem like much, buttoga is a scale, lots of types and they all have more challenging poses or variations. Pilates too.
    *you listed a few things you like/are willing to do, but none often. Maybe you should do the same thing 3x a week. Go for a run one day, use the bike another, add in a yoga video, a toning session with home weights, maybe a trip to the pool or a hike with friends when it gets nice. Maybe the key for you is having a couple of things you do regularly but not frequently.