JUST FOR TODAY -- One Day at a Time .... Daily commitment thread for 2019

Replies

• mytime6630
    mytime6630 Posts: 4,186 Member
    toaljasa wrote: »

Another lesson on free motion quilting
    Messy in the Middle lesson

Peace and joy!

Oh ... you will love free motion quilting!! So happy to see another quilter! I've been free motion quilting now almost a year... it took me a long time to learn it ... lots of practice! Thank you so much again for the "lesson". I actually saved this to read everyday ... so encouraging. So thank you so much!
  • mytime6630
    Bex953172 wrote: »
    🏆APPRECIATION AWARD🏆

for @toaljasa

You have been so inspiring this year and an absolute cheerleader! Literally from Jan first weve had long posts like the one above full of motivational, insightful and meaningful content which you have clearly spent your time on just for us!
    Youve even kept us all on track with our WOTY, and even made that quote using ALL our words (that was pretty amazing)

But youve really gone above and beyond for us all so heres a big thank you from me and everyone else!

I SO AGREE!@!!!!!! We are so fortunate to have you a part of this group!!!
  • toaljasa
    toaljasa Posts: 955 Member
    mytime6630 wrote: »

Peace and joy!

Oh ... you will love free motion quilting!! So happy to see another quilter! I've been free motion quilting now almost a year... it took me a long time to learn it ... lots of practice! Thank you so much again for the "lesson". I actually saved this to read everyday ... so encouraging. So thank you so much!

Are you familiar with machine quilting tutorials with Jeanne on FB? If not, She has lots of tutorials under FILES. If you are already FMQ then look at the feather your nest. She's also doing a row by row project. She's an outstanding teacher.
  • PackerFanInGB
    PackerFanInGB Posts: 3,327 Member
    🏆APPRECIATION AWARD🏆

for @toaljasa

You have been so inspiring this year and an absolute cheerleader! Literally from Jan first weve had long posts like the one above full of motivational, insightful and meaningful content which you have clearly spent your time on just for us!
    Youve even kept us all on track with our WOTY, and even made that quote using ALL our words (that was pretty amazing)

But youve really gone above and beyond for us all so heres a big thank you from me and everyone else!

THIS!!!! I can’t word it better than this! We love you and appreciate you @toaljasa!!! ❤️

• mytime6630
    edited March 2019

Peace and joy!

Are you familiar with machine quilting tutorials with Jeanne on FB? If not, She has lots of tutorials under FILES. If you are already FMQ then look at the feather your nest. She's also doing a row by row project. She's an outstanding teacher.

Yes -- I love her tutorials!! Here is a picture of the quilt I am working on now ... just sewing on the binding. I mostly do just stippling and loops .... I did one quilt where I used a stencil. But I love it. To some, they hate it, but I just cannot afford to send them to a longarmer, and I'm one where I kinda want to do everything myself. Very therapeutic! (don't look too closely .... remember, I am still learning FM!!)

cv7j5q94l46e.jpg
  • mytime6630
    JFT, Tue
    1. log all food :) I may not always log my food here, since I am also using the WW website, but I am going to try just so I can keep track of calorie count. So if I have a happy face on logging my food ... it means, either here, or on the WW site, I did log.
    2. drink plenty of water ... jan challenge 8+ c :) I think I am learning to drink more water ... especially in the evenings! Downfall is ... I am up 3-4x through the ite!
    3. mindful eating :) And only ONE nite time snack ... and it was a orange!
    4. eat slowly :)
    5. feb challenge -- 1 snack. Tonite I have to make sure and follow this!!! :) And only ONE nite time snack ... and it was a orange!
    6. do not give up... :)

JFT, Wed
    1. log all food
    2. jan challenge = 8+ water
    3. feb challenge - only 1 nite time snack
    4. mar challenge -- outside walking minimum of 15 minutes. Tomorrow will be warmer, so hoping the ice is off the sidewalks
    5. mindful eating
    6. eat slowly
    7. do not give up
  • Faebert
    Faebert Posts: 1,588 Member
    Ugh the fun continues here as my daughters tag-team on sickness bugs! Started yesterday well with them both heading to school after a Shrove Tuesday pancake breakfast. I headed off to work hopeful that I wouldn’t be called about the little one who had been ill the night before. I wasn’t- but I was called to pick up my older daughter who was poorly again! I’m so tired and stressed out from having to sort this out while managing a full-time job which doesn’t really have flexibility (you can’t just leave a class of 30 kids at short notice!!)

But all this tiredness and stress has led to me falling into poor food decisions. I’m making the start of Lent today as an opportunity to re-focus on my nutrition. I am committing to 40 days with no added sugar at all, and aiming to eat so that I can properly fuel my life and my exercise, not exercising to atone for my eating, if that makes any sense?! WOTY - balance!!

Tuesday goals recap:
    - morning workout ✅
    - Make pancake mix in case girls well enough for it! ✅ yay! Both well and both ate them up with lots of gratitude. Mummy points scored.
    - Call parents for childcare help if needed ❎ not needed until it was too late to ask!
    - Home at lunchtime for car (to go to hot yoga tonight if kids ok, to see little one if she’s at home) ✅ and ran it so extra steps/exercise 😊
    - Ask to leave this evening’s meeting early if L at home ✅ except it was the other daughter who needed to go home early! 😔
    - Hot yoga after work if kids ok❎ staying home with my babies, listening to them cough and splutter 😪 namaste!
    - Water!❎ well, not enough
    - No tiredness or stress eating - stay focussed! ❎
    - Early night (please let it be uninterrupted by more sickness!)❎

Wednesday goals
    - morning workout
    - Early to work for planning time handover and school staff choir - print topic work on arrival!
    - Planning time - check workshop guys received payment.
    - Water
    - morning and afternoon snack only
    - No added sugar
    - Cancel piano teacher if girls still sick
    - Homework with kids
    - Bed by 9

Happy hump day everyone! X
  • Faebert
    Faebert Posts: 1,588 Member
    🏆APPRECIATION AWARD🏆

for @toaljasa

THIS!!!! I can’t word it better than this! We love you and appreciate you @toaljasa!!! ❤️

Also completely agree on this appreciation award! So much insight with the support from @toaljasa

The ‘messy middle’ is true on so many levels! X
  • toaljasa
    toaljasa Posts: 955 Member

Oh! That's wonderful. Beautiful job. Yes, the thought of paying so much to have someone quilt it is UGH. And, like you, I like the idea of doing it myself. Thanks for sharing...very encouraging, as I am just learning to do Jeane's back to basics tutorials. But I am hopeful, thanks to her teaching.
  • Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,723 Member

Peace and joy!

Yes -- I love her tutorials!! Here is a picture of the quilt I am working on now ... just sewing on the binding. I mostly do just stippling and loops .... I did one quilt where I used a stencil. But I love it. To some, they hate it, but I just cannot afford to send them to a longarmer, and I'm one where I kinda want to do everything myself. Very therapeutic! (don't look too closely .... remember, I am still learning FM!!)

cv7j5q94l46e.jpg

Beautiful quilt, I love the colours.
  • Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,723 Member
    @Faebert - I truly hope your girls get better. You need a break!
  • mytime6630
    Faebert wrote: »

But all this tiredness and stress has led to me falling into poor food decisions. I’m making the start of Lent today as an opportunity to re-focus on my nutrition. I am committing to 40 days with no added sugar at all, and aiming to eat so that I can properly fuel my life and my exercise, not exercising to atone for my eating, if that makes any sense?! WOTY - balance!!

X

I hope your girls start to feel better soon, and you get a break. It is so hard trying to work, and yet tend to everyone's needs. I am the same way with food, when I am tired and super stressed, I make poor decisions. Lent is a good time for a fresh commitment.
    I hope tomorrow is a better day for you. <3 Hugs.
  • bookmeister86
    bookmeister86 Posts: 1,165 Member
    edited March 2019
    Mixed day yesterday. It was quite a productive one - I did everything I planned to do - but I also had a snack attack at work and ate about 800 calories of mini cakes. So I was well into the red.

I managed to stop though. I had actually texted my boyfriend about going to get a burger, but pulled it back and decided to have some wine with dinner at home. So I had extra unplanned wine, but that was way better calorie-wise than a burger! So, whilst I'm not happy about the snack attack, at least I stopped it getting completely out of control.

I'm not quite sure what led to the snack attack. I had quite a frustrating day, full of meetings that weren't very productive and which were annoying in other ways. I'm also working on some fairly big problems at the moment which are quite challenging and I'm not managing to make much progress on them as I'm not getting much help (and I'm always in sodding meetings!). I think this overall led to feelings of frustration which left me vulnerable when I remembered the cakes were there.

For the future: I'm going to try to avoid having days that are jam packed with meetings, which leave me drained. It's difficult to do as there is a big meeting culture in my company and your diary can get clogged up really easily. But I'm going to schedule in a few regular blocked out slots on the days I have lots of meetings on (Tue/Wed) to give myself a bit of space.

And next time I feel the urge to have a snack attack, I'm going to make myself a cup of tea and look at cat pictures instead. :smile:

Yesterday's commitments:

- Log everything I eat :smile:
    - Stick to food plan :'(
    - Be in the green :'(
    - 3+ bottles water :'(
    - No alcohol :'(
    - Knee-strengthening exercises :'(

- No eating whilst standing :/
    - Savour every bite :/
    - Monitor fullness after each meal :/
    - Differentiate between hunger, desire and craving :/
    - Give myself credit! :/

- 45+ minute lunch break :smile:
    - Meditate :smile:
    - Catch up on emails :smile:
    - 2+ of French book, article, podcast :smile:
    - Leave work by 6pm :smile:
    - Washing up!!! :smile:
    - Quality time / relationship discussion with boyfriend :smile:
    - Gratitude journal :smile:
    - Lights off by 11 :smile:

Today's commitments:

- Log everything I eat
    - Stick to food plan
    - Be in the green
    - 3+ bottles water
    - No alcohol

- No eating whilst standing
    - Savour every bite
    - Monitor fullness after each meal
    - Differentiate between hunger, desire and craving
    - Give myself credit!

- 30+ minute lunch break
    - Meditate
    - 2+ of French book, article, podcast
    - Leave work at 5.15pm
    - Pack running stuff
    - Gratitude journal
    - Lights off by 11

Weekly calorie balance: about 1000 in the red

Words for 2019: Mindful Moderation

How I practised Mindful Moderation yesterday: (copied from @toaljasa - thanks!)
    I moderated myself by not eating a burger. Quite a small win really, but on some days small wins are big ones.
  • ZizzyBumble
    ZizzyBumble Posts: 1,679 Member
    Wednesday 6 March

Log accurately
    Stay in the green
    5 fruit and veg
    Fitbit excercise goals
    January challenge
    February challenge
    March challenge :) Quick mile before work. I appreciated the spring flowers but not the long worms adorning the footpath!
  • cthrasher90
    cthrasher90 Posts: 2 Member
    So I was in the middle of filling out a form to get my fingerprints done for a job I'm applying for at a school and my laptop died... And of course my charger isn't working. So I had to go and order a new one. Thank God for Amazon Prime. It'll be here on Thursday. Makes me sad though. If I want to work on the next scene for my WIP I'll have to do it the old fashion way. With pen and paper. Problem is... I'm sitting in a laundromat currently. I had planned on doing it while I was sitting here. So much for that idea. Ugh! I even looked at a notebook sitting on the table before I left and thought 'Nah. I've got my laptop.' So much for that.

Le sigh.

Maybe, next time you could use the notes or memo pad on your phone. You can even use the microphone to help you out. Punctuate by saying "period", "comma", "question mark", etc. That's how I write my papers now. Just a suggestion...
  • cthrasher90
    cthrasher90 Posts: 2 Member
    This is so inspiring! An active community of people to motivate one another. <3<3<3
  • Claire5520
    Claire5520 Posts: 113 Member
    Gatecrashing - just for today..
    Logging everything but not aiming for any particular calorie goal
    Eating mindfully and well
    Have a large glass of water as soon as I get to work, rather than a cup of tea + morning + pm snacks all by 09:30
    Focus on work
    Recognise and acknowledge stress and don't seek food in response.
    It all sounds so easy!!
  • littleblackskirt
    littleblackskirt Posts: 940 Member

JFT 5th March

Moisturize YES
    Start logging again LOGGED UNTIL ABOUT 5PM, THEN WENT OFF THE RAILS
    Eat some vegetables! NOPE
    Do back exercises ONLY A FEW STRETCHES
    Visit parents YES
    The boring stuff - wash dishes, wash clothes, clean bathroom, clear the paperwork! YES, EVEN DID THE IRONING
    Food shopping YES

I didn't walk yesterday, it rained all day. (I know that's an excuse, when I was really keen I walked whatever the weather). By the time I went shopping in the evening the supermarket car park was flooded.
    I also had to rest my back as I've aggravated it (by myself doh!) I'm reading a very good book by an American author about healing your back. I decided to try a movement which might help the pain, and I made it worse! Hopefully it will calm down in a few days. Not the fault of the book, I'm still interested in doing some of the other exercises.

Had another phone call from son D, which made me feel very down. He sounds so defeated (and still no money). I know this won't last forever, it's just frustrating to keep trying to encourage him but know it's down to him to take action. Sorry, I know I go on about this, and some of you have much bigger worries about your children. I let it affect my eating and I know I shouldn't.

My idea of eating lower carb has just made me want to eat more. I've been like @Snowflake1968, roaming the kitchen looking for something to eat, and eating more because I didn't have what I really wanted :) So I think I'll go back to calorie counting and reduce carbs just a little as it helps cut the calories.

Still pouring with rain, so will be mostly another indoor day today.

JFT 6th March

Moisturize
    Log everything
    Visit parents
    Find stuff to do in the house, maybe clear out some shelves
    March challenge - walk