WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MARCH 2019

Options

Replies

• KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    Sharon

I can answer the Saxenda question for you. Saxenda is an injectable weight loss medicine that has FDA approval for treatment of people who have a weight-related medical condition like diabetes or hypertension. Saxenda has a hormone-like action that regulates appetite.

Oddly enough, Saxenda isn't approved for treatment of diabetes, even though it is the same as Victoza, a medicine used to treat diabetes & reduce risk of heart disease in diabetics. The doses differ to some extent, but otherwise they are the same.

Karen in Virginia
  • noegrand123
    noegrand123 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Hi all!

Just wanted to comment on the genetic testing. My aunt, who is a genealogist, invited my Dad and me to join her and her oldest son in submitting samples to 23 and Me. It is fascinating BUT overwhelming the results/information you receive.

I have stopped reading my ongoing results....you could read for hours every day. Any way, my kids LOVED IT! They printed my results, and have enjoyed researching the .02% in my code that named various countries from all over the world! They used them in school projects etc.

The medical results, were very thorough but didn’t contain any new info. My aunt having been a genealogist her entire professional life, knew every cause of death in our tree, every allergy etc.

I can’t find on this thread, how this topic started but if it was looking for clues to medical issues it might be worth it!!! Just thought I’d throw that out! Holly in Missouri
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,948 Member
    Options
    :)Betsy, I deal with stress by walking and my dogs love it, too.

:)Lanette, This is only the second time in over two years that Bessie has thrown up and the other time was outdoors. This time she she missed a washable blanket by a few inches and threw up on the carpet. Our carpet is old and a sufficiently neutral color that stains can be cleaned enough to for all to be OK.

:) My dance class was great fun today. Several people got there extra early so we started dancing the pre-class open dancing early so I danced from 9:15 to 11:35 with a 15 minute break. I taught a new dance that was well received. Yes, I was tired when I got home. Between dog walking in the morning, dance class, and riding the exercise bike after lunch, I wasn't too thrilled when the dogs wanted to go out again in the middle of the afternoon. Now I'm enjoying the opportunity to just sit at the computer.

<3 Barbie in NW WA

• drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,943 Member
    Options
    auntiebk wrote: »

Sorry, I forget who, but someone recently had a laser procedure to relieve pressure in the eye? Joe will have such next Thursday as the drops have not worked on his glaucoma. Was wondering, does it hurt? He's resisting having me drive him there and back, but I'm insisting... ;)

Lighter, lovelies!
    f8qt1s098sxm.gifBarbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD
    walk one more step 5/31, 60 g protein 7/31, rx/vits 7/31, meditate 6/31, knee exercises 6/31, SWSY 1/8, play with Tumble 6/31, hang up or purge art 0/4 AF 7/31.
    Word for 2019: "GOOD" good attitude, good food, good times, good choices, good enough, feel good, GOOD!
    03/06 LT: SWSY-N MT: get slow leaking tire repaired-Y ST: Call loan co-ordinator for email forms-Y
    03/07 LT: SWSY dadgummit!-Y!!! MT: propane site review-Y, ST: Call County about needed mobile home forms for loan (title release and???)-Y

I was not the one talking about it, but my husband has had this done a couple of times to relieve the pressure. He describes it as “uncomfortable”. I think he thought it was more uncomfortable the first time he had it done than the second. He still has to use drops three times a day, too, but the combo together with consistent monitoring keeps his glaucoma under control.

It’s not a bad idea for you to drive him, but I don’t think it’s absolutely necessary. I drove Dave the first time, and he drove himself the second.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,951 Member
    Options
    Well, except for how ethnically boring I am, I am satisfied. I think it probably is accurate. My only complaint is that my adopted niece did it through 23 and me, and she ended up with a trace of Iberian Peninsula and European Jew (She is 50% asian --her dad is vietnamese -- so it was pretty easy to see which parts came from my sister.) But I didn't have any of that. I was surprised because my dad's family has "dark ones," (my dad was one -- black hair, olive skin, brown eyes), and his father told everyone that his family descended from Spain, but that is neither in my DNA nor in the tree work I've done.

My dad, theoretically, is 50% german, so I should have been 25% (or close), but I don't come anywhere near that. Perhaps my German ancestors from Russia were not, strictly speaking, German? Even though they identified as German, spoke German, and my great grandmother never did learn English, even after emigrating to this country in about 1908.

My mother and uncle have dark hair and my uncle has dark eyes and darker skin so you'd think there would be Spanish in our line, but as it happens I've discovered that Welsh people often have the dark hair etc. They've also got the highest percentage of people with red hair. I know that my grandfather was born in Liverpool, which isn't far from Wales, so I suspect that there's Welsh in my family.

As for mainland Europe, there was a whole lot of migration. My father is half Serbian, but the Serbians started out somewhere up in Russia and travelled down to where they are now because they were evicted from places along the way. I think I read once that they've ended up about 1000 miles from where they started.

For that reason, I question these DNA tests that tell you you're from a certain country in Europe. There was so much movement in Europe over the centuries ... how would they know?

Machka in Oz

• Machka9
    Options
    KJLaMore wrote: »
    Ugh. Tim's mom passed away early this morning. :( Will post this weekend when I have a moment. Sending love to you all. KJ

So sorry!
  • Machka9
    Options
    lhscapil wrote: »
    Machka[/b] - hope your rowing machine arrives soon. Bet you do miss your runs! Are you still going to physical therapy? I can't believe first day of spring is in just a couple weeks and your weather will start to cool off just as we are heating up.

megblair1 wrote: »
    Matchka: why are you not running? Do you have an injury? And happy birthday!

I'm hoping to see my physiotherapist next week and find out where we go from here.

Yes, I did have an injury ... I did something to my back and right hip, caused by the running. It wasn't too bad going into the half marathon, but the last 3 km of that were really difficult and painful.

So I can cycle or walk slowly.

I'm hoping the rowing machine will be OK.

M in Oz

• OregonMother
    OregonMother Posts: 1,572 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »

For that reason, I question these DNA tests that tell you you're from a certain country in Europe. There was so much movement in Europe over the centuries ... how would they know?

Machka in Oz

Exactly. It wasn't even "Germany" when my Russian ancestors lived there.

Felicia
    Willamette Valley, Oregon
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,847 Member
    Options
    Hi all: Snow yesterday and DD went in late to work. Today the sun is shining. I got my hair cut and groceries bought. Have not done DNA test but genealogists in the family have traced my mom's family to England and my dad's family to Ireland so guess I am pretty boring too.

Machka - Have a great birthday weekend!

Kelly - Sorry for your loss. Peace to all.

Katla - Hope your DH comes around on the trip. Maybe a short trip or two beforehand would ease his worries.

Rori - Hope you are well out of the avalanche areas.

Carol - Sending good thoughts on the knee surgery. I have done both knees and it was well worth it.

Everyone take care, Sue in WA
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,364 Member
    Options
    Did Kathy Smith’s step workout DVD. The plan for tomorrow is to do a ProForm Get Strong DVD. This is a new one for me.

Went to the dentist this morning. I have a crown and there was some decay there. So he took the crown off, cleaned the decay, put a temporary crown on and I go back in a few weeks for the permanent crown. Then had an EEG. Hopefully, I can get off the phenobarbital. I’m on such a very low dose that I really don’t think it’s doing any good. Folded the “diaper”/napkins for the bags for Denise’s shower. Now to find a cookie (oatmeal chocolate?) that will look like poop that I can place in these “diaper”/napkins. While we were in FL I walked along Canaveral Seashore and picked some shells. Today I put them in the baby bottles for Denise’s cake. I have some left over and I’ll probably put them out by the pool. I’m thinking that the “diaper”/napkins that’ll have poop-looking cookies in them should probably be put in a plastic bag. Hello dollar store!

Vince is working on the taxes right now which translates into “leave him alone”

I am truly amazed at how many of you all just recently heard of fondant! But glad you did. Has anyone ever heard of Bavarian Cream icing? I’d honestly never heard of it as an icing. Is it the same stuff that’s inside donuts? If it is, I’m thinking that it’s not as sweet as buttercream and more airy. I don’t think very many people like the taste of fondant

KJ – (((HUGS))) I’m so very sorry for your loss

Yeaaaaa…we change the clocks this weekend. I always like when we push the clocks ahead. Now we’ll be on the same time as Jess.

Denise closed on her townhouse today. It’s interesting, Pete said that the dog is at the townhouse but the cat is still with his parents. Denise (and this I can understand) doesn’t want to bring her to the townhouse until after the furniture is delivered because she’s concerned that the cat might go out while the doors are open. The father probably wanted the dog out of the house asap.

Went to Food Lion to get potatoes that were on sale. While there I found the largest Tootsie Roll I have found. Most of them were pretty small. This isn’t that big but it’s the biggest I’ve been able to find. That will go in Pete’s “Daddy Diaper Kit”

Put a potato in the microwave for Vince to have for dinner. Now have a sweet potato in the microwave for me to have. Update: it didn’t seem to cook and I put it in for over 20 minutes

Meg – is there anywhere else for a dog to throw up?????

It’s so so easy to log your food on nutritionix, I’m amazed

Lynette and Barbie – I’ve heard that if you give the dog/cat a bit of pumpkin, then they don’t throw up as much

It’s been pretty cold here. When I went out, it was sleeting. I do NOT like this. I’m going to get my ghost legs back…waaaaa

Welcome everyone new!

Connie – come on in any time at all!

Michele in NC
  • ethree1eight
    ethree1eight Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    cmsavells wrote: »
    Hi!! I'm Connie in KY. I'm a 54 year old single mom of a 15 year old. I'm new to My Fitness Pal. I had a really bad doctor's visit in February, and I'm just trying to get my life on track. So I joined Planet Fitness and I walk on the treadmill there when the weather stinks (which is daily right now). I'm a type 2 diabetic and now have my daily blood glucose under control. I'm hoping my A1C is dropping too. Is it OK if I join in??

Connie

Hi Connie
    I'm Rhonda. Glad you're here. I go to Youfit gym. It's like your gym. Consider a bit of Strength training. At youfit there is an Express circuit that has Strength and cardio. At 55 i need to keep my Strength up. Have a great day
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,638 Member
    Options
    B)
  • noegrand123
    Options
    Hi everyone!

Rebecca love the china!

Welcome Connie!
  • noegrand123
    Options
    The second that I hit post reply.....

Holly in Missouri
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    <3
  • Machka9
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    lhscapil wrote: »
    Machka[/b] - hope your rowing machine arrives soon. Bet you do miss your runs! Are you still going to physical therapy? I can't believe first day of spring is in just a couple weeks and your weather will start to cool off just as we are heating up.

megblair1 wrote: »
    Matchka: why are you not running? Do you have an injury? And happy birthday!

I'm hoping to see my physiotherapist next week and find out where we go from here.

Yes, I did have an injury ... I did something to my back and right hip, caused by the running. It wasn't too bad going into the half marathon, but the last 3 km of that were really difficult and painful.

So I can cycle or walk slowly.

I'm hoping the rowing machine will be OK.

M in Oz

The injuries are: greater trochanteric pain syndrome in my right hip and right lumbar facet joint inflammation in my back.

Still in Phase 1 of this ... pain relief:
    https://physioworks.com.au/injuries-conditions-1/greater-trochanteric-pain-syndrome

This: right lumbar facet joint inflammation ... is more or less arthritis of the spine from wear and tear. It might not be from running. It might be from hauling a very heavy backpack for a year.

M in Oz