Volume Eaters Thread

Replies

• psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    edited March 2019
    Another topic... I have been having a severe craving for durum Donners. I have almost honed in on a yogurt dill sauce, will use a flat out wrap, The spices for the meat np. What I am having trouble with is the meat. I have a cabella's 1 hp grinder and grind my own chicken breast. I am looking for a way to bind it without using bread crumbs and eggs. Any suggestions?
  • geiznekcm
    geiznekcm Posts: 1,357 Member
    edited March 2019
    crazyravr wrote: »
    geiznekcm wrote: »
    crazyravr wrote: »
    My favorite lately has been pumpkin pie pudding.

I mix whole box of sugar free jello (I like butterscotch, cheesecake, pistachio, or white chocolate) with 2c water, add cinnamon + tons of truvia/stevia, add 1c pumpkin and mix until creamy. It is like having a whole pumpkin pie or pumpkin cheesecake to yourself. (without the crust) And <200 calories per 3 cup bowl. The texture is like a thick pudding/soft serve ice cream.

I have 3 bowls every night lately so 9 cups of goodness, LOL.

Hmmmmm might have to try this for sure. Do you know if this will refrigerate well or did you not have a chance to find out? :)

Yes, it does! I eat it right away or make it in the morning and have at night. Gets even thicker when you keep it in the fridge for awhile! :smile: Sometimes I add even more water to thin it out then.

Thank you so much for sharing this.
    I just tried this a few minutes ago (but allow me to preface my experiment with admitting that I am an absolute goofball. But you made this concoction seem simple enough for even the most incredible culinary goof to be incapable of messing it up. Apparently, I am an out-of-this-world type of goof):
    I used 2 cups of tap water, one packet of sugar-free cheesecake Jell-O, TONS of cinnamon and stevia, and one cup of organic pumpkin puree. I used an electric hand mixer on low speed to blend it all together. However, it didn't gel nor thicken. It turned out very liquidy.
    I am so sorry to pester you with my silly questions and mistakes. If you don't mind me asking, can you think of any reason why or how I made this "flop"? What was the consistency of your creation? What did you use to blend the ingredients? Did you blend at a certain speed?
    I am still curious about the effect of the refrigeration process, so I stored my liquid in a container. I will report any findings tomorrow. Again, thank you so much. I don't mean to bother!!

What I would do is add a gelatin packet to the mix and it will become like pana cotta. Or if you just want it thick, xantham gum, about 1/4tsp.

Thank you so much for the suggestion!! You always know what to do in the kitchen. Thank you for being generous and sharing your experiments. (:

Okay; so, not that it matters and it really isn't any help to anyone, but I wanted to follow up on my recent trial. I want to stick to my word and let you know what happened to my "Jell-O pumpkin soup" after one night in the refrigerator:

Yeup. I mastered the "Jell-O soup." I do not recommend it. Haha (: Although my efforts failed, the concoction sure did smell grand in its disposal down the sink!!
    I plan to try this again after considering your responses. I'll let you know how it goes, if you're interested. (: Thank you All, again. Happy Spring, Everyone!! xx
  • purplefizzy
    purplefizzy Posts: 594 Member
    psychod787 wrote: »
    Another topic... I have been having a severe craving for durum Donners. I have almost honed in on a yogurt dill sauce, will use a flat out wrap, The spices for the meat np. What I am having trouble with is the meat. I have a cabella's 1 hp grinder and grind my own chicken breast. I am looking for a way to bind it without using bread crumbs and eggs. Any suggestions?

Add a teaspoon or so of psyllium husk. Mix well, let sit. It will gel and add fiber!

Alternatively, mix a bit of flax or chia with water. When gelatinous, stir in.
  • icemom011
    icemom011 Posts: 999 Member

Add a teaspoon or so of psyllium husk. Mix well, let sit. It will gel and add fiber!

Alternatively, mix a bit of flax or chia with water. When gelatinous, stir in.

I believe you should use ground flax, not whole seeds. It's used in vegan cooking/ baking as an egg substitute, so it should definitely work.
  • geiznekcm
    geiznekcm Posts: 1,357 Member
    PAPYRUS3 wrote: »
    f2x9324lc9vl.jpg

Mocha Ice 'Cream' w/frozen Greek yogurt hearts on top....yum

Wow!! Are you willing to share your recipe and method?
    Please pardon me if you have previously.. I must have missed it!!
    HAPPY Spring (:
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    f2x9324lc9vl.jpg

WOW this looks awesome!
  • PAPYRUS3
    PAPYRUS3 Posts: 13,259 Member
    f2x9324lc9vl.jpg

WOW this looks awesome!

Thanks - easy to make - just time to blend and blend and blend and a few hours to freeze:
    Equipment:

You NEED to have a powerful blender - like a Vitamix (I have a Ninja 'Professional' blender)

1/8 cup of cold strong coffee into blender
    1 tsp of vanilla/caramel extract and sweetener of choice ( I use Stevia)
    *I’ve been now using stevia along with some Salted Chocolate/Espresso Jordan Skinny Syrup too!
    2 TBSP. of dark cocoa powder (or more if you like)
    Add 1/2 tray of ice - blender to break up. Add remaining ice cubes blend again.
    Add another 1/2 tray of ice - blend. Sometimes more.
    Add 1 tsp. of Xanthum gum (keeps it less icy and really thickens it up.

Put in freezer for a few hours and then it's 'ready' - or just eat the fluff straight away (much more like ice cream though if you freeze it) Add whatever to make it yummy - berries, etc.,

Not bad for around 25-30 calories!
    *the Greek Yogurt Hearts are just plain yogurt frozen into little silicon molds.
  • PAPYRUS3
    just_Tomek wrote: »
    f2x9324lc9vl.jpg

WOW this looks awesome!

Thanks - easy to make - just time to blend and blend and blend and a few hours to freeze:
    Equipment:

You NEED to have a powerful blender - like a Vitamix (I have a Ninja 'Professional' blender)

*I’ve been now using stevia along with some Salted Chocolate/Espresso Jordan Skinny Syrup too!

Put in freezer for a few hours and then it's 'ready' - or just eat the fluff straight away (much more like ice cream though if you freeze it) Add whatever to make it yummy - berries, etc.,

*the Greek Yogurt Hearts are just plain yogurt frozen into little silicon molds.

You are placing what is essentially water into a freezer for few hours and that does not freeze solid? Protein fluff will freeze solid, I have no idea why this would not? And this really is protein fluff minus the protein :)

I guess that depends on your freezer...An hour is enough too. Just enough to have it still spoonable to eat and of course not solid ice (which yes, if left in freezer will do).
  • purplefizzy
    edited March 2019
    f2x9324lc9vl.jpg

WOW this looks awesome!

Equipment:

You are placing what is essentially water into a freezer for few hours and that does not freeze solid? Protein fluff will freeze solid, I have no idea why this would not? And this really is protein fluff minus the protein :)

I guess that depends on your freezer...An hour is enough too. Just enough to have it still spoonable to eat and of course not solid ice (which yes, if left in freezer will do).

I’m going thru a ‘granita’ phase, and have been adding about 1T of brandy to them... seems to help keep from freezing solid. Gonna try an espresso one based on your recipe inspo. Thanks!

(Edited for clarity.)
  • Querian
    Querian Posts: 419 Member
    I am also a volume eater. This morning for breakfast I made 2 potatoes cubed and cooked in the air fryer. I consider myself mostly vegetarian and eat a lot of veggies and fruits and cook with no oil or low oil to make room for more volume. I focus on burning more calories (goal is 3k/day) and I eat around 2k/day to allow a large deficit while still feeling full.
  • PAPYRUS3
    f2x9324lc9vl.jpg

WOW this looks awesome!

Equipment:

I’m going thru a ‘granita’ phase, and have been adding about 1T of brandy to them... seems to help keep from freezing solid. Gonna try an espresso one based on your recipe inspo. Thanks!

(Edited for clarity.)

What a coincidence! Just this morning I was thinking that adding some vodka would also prevent it from freezing but then I didn't want to 'booze it up' while having my treat. I'm glad that only 1 tbsp. did the trick. Question though...how much do you make (using the 1 tbsp. of brandy)? Thanks
  • purplefizzy
    f2x9324lc9vl.jpg

WOW this looks awesome!

Equipment:

(Edited for clarity.)

What a coincidence! Just this morning I was thinking that adding some vodka would also prevent it from freezing but then I didn't want to 'booze it up' while having my treat. I'm glad that only 1 tbsp. did the trick. Question though...how much do you make (using the 1 tbsp. of brandy)? Thanks

About 3.5c - the first one started as a blended iced coffee, with collagen and a bit of MCT and monksweet.
    I had a few sips and decided I was over caffeinated.. so added about 1T brandy, stashed it in the freezer and periodically fork stirred it.
    It froze but much less firmly, and light defrost+stir brought back the granita texture I was after.

Gonna try a dark choc faux-sorbet next. Probably will make the mix, freeze in ice cube trays, then food process, eat some and experiment with re-freezing some.

Always game for some trial n error.

As an aside, I’m not a person who drinks alcohol. I used to even avoid vanilla. But enough years abstaining and my relationship has shifted. I’ll now use a tiny bit to cook with when it improves results, but not enough to affect a ‘boozy’ taste or headspace.
  • PAPYRUS3
    f2x9324lc9vl.jpg

WOW this looks awesome!

Equipment:

(Edited for clarity.)

About 3.5c - the first one started as a blended iced coffee, with collagen and a bit of MCT and monksweet.
    I had a few sips and decided I was over caffeinated.. so added about 1T brandy, stashed it in the freezer and periodically fork stirred it.
    It froze but much less firmly, and light defrost+stir brought back the granita texture I was after.

Gonna try a dark choc faux-sorbet next. Probably will make the mix, freeze in ice cube trays, then food process, eat some and experiment with re-freezing some.

Always game for some trial n error.

As an aside, I’m not a person who drinks alcohol. I used to even avoid vanilla. But enough years abstaining and my relationship has shifted. I’ll now use a tiny bit to cook with when it improves results, but not enough to affect a ‘boozy’ taste or headspace.

Thanks for your thoughts! I too like to experiment with stuff now that I've had change in my relationship towards food. It's a newish world...sometimes I get it right and sometimes I've pushed too much...
  • purplefizzy
    edited March 2019
    roli8fjtnbzn.jpeg

Bowl of Italian Meringue (made with Allulose) with PB2 and some coffee-brandy-grantita stuff drizzled over.

Experimenting with Allulose (another ‘natural’ sugar sub, sadly made from corn but acts very much like sugar with minimal kcals) and SF meringues in general. French usually, this one is Italian and I’ll try Swiss tomorrow if I feel ambitious enough to use hand mixer (can’t do that one in kitchen aid, needs a water bath.)

Remains to be seen how my stomach does with Allulose. The old-school sugar alcohols used to feel like KNIVES in my stomach, but xylitol and the like treat me well, so we’ll see.

Allulose melts into a syrup under heat, gets thick. Apparently it’s Keto (I’m not, At ALL- I just love playing with new ingredients.)

ETA:
    250ish cals, 26g protein.
    Time cost: freaking huge. Kirkland egg whites, at room temp and with both lemon and CoT, take FOREVER to whip.
  • tmpecus78
    tmpecus78 Posts: 1,206 Member
    roli8fjtnbzn.jpeg

Bowl of Italian Meringue (made with Allulose) with PB2 and some coffee-brandy-grantita stuff drizzled over.

Experimenting with Allulose (another ‘natural’ sugar sub, sadly made from corn but acts very much like sugar with minimal kcals) and SF meringues in general. French usually, this one is Italian and I’ll try Swiss tomorrow if I feel ambitious enough to use hand mixer (can’t do that one in kitchen aid, needs a water bath.)

Remains to be seen how my stomach does with Allulose. The old-school sugar alcohols used to feel like KNIVES in my stomach, but xylitol and the like treat me well, so we’ll see.

Allulose melts into a syrup under heat, gets thick. Apparently it’s Keto (I’m not, At ALL- I just love playing with new ingredients.)

ETA:
    250ish cals, 26g protein.
    Time cost: freaking huge. Kirkland egg whites, at room temp and with both lemon and CoT, take FOREVER to whip.

That looks amazing. Being keto, I love allulose. Tastes so much like real sugar.
  • tmpecus78
    tmpecus78 Posts: 1,206 Member
    One of my favs is casein protein sludge.

• 2 scoops chocolate casein protein
    • 3 egg whites
    • Some heavy whipping cream
    • 2 tbs peanut butter
    • Ice cold water

I use a hand mixer and slowly add water until it makes a nice thick sludge. I then throw it in the freezer for 10-15 minutes or so. Then top with a variety of treats depend on what my left over marcos are for the day. Top with a serving or two of your favorite cereal, mini marshmellows, chocolate syrup and whipped cream. :#
  • redcase
    redcase Posts: 69 Member
    Because sometimes 2L of Pho with crazy good flavour and nutrients is all you body needs. Also, I am proud to say that other that putting it all together, it's all store bought.

Yum - is it a vegetarian-friendly recipe? I know you dabble, lol

• psychod787
    redcase wrote: »
    Because sometimes 2L of Pho with crazy good flavour and nutrients is all you body needs. Also, I am proud to say that other that putting it all together, it's all store bought.

Yeap. To be honest, there is no meat in there at all :)

Why the identity issue Godfather?
  • psychod787
    redcase wrote: »

Yeap. To be honest, there is no meat in there at all :)

Why the identity issue Godfather?

What you mean?

Your name changed.