March 2019 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• NCK96
    NCK96 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    @amirahdaboss Whoa!! That looks awful! Hopefully you aren't super injured, but I'll bet you'll be super sore for the next week or so.
  • ContraryMaryMary
    ContraryMaryMary Posts: 1,665 Member
    Options
    Yikes @amirahda, that looks terrible. I’m glad you’re ok. And hope the back settles down quickly!!
  • zeesparrow
    zeesparrow Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    @amirahdaboss Whoa! I audibly remarked when I saw your pictures; that looks awful! I hope your back isn't seriously injured!
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    @amirahdaboss YUCK!!! Hopefully everyone is okay!
  • KatieJane83
    KatieJane83 Posts: 2,002 Member
    Options
    @amirahdaboss wow, glad you're mostly ok! Hope your back heals quickly!
  • Scott6255
    Scott6255 Posts: 2,445 Member
    Options
    @amirahdaboss woah, from the picture it is amazing that you weren't seriously hurt. Hope you heal quickly. And I would bet money that kid was on his phone :s 😠
    When will people learn?!
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 6,003 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    @amirahdaboss Sorry about your accident. I hope your back is okay and it isn't anything serious. Kudos for going to the ER to make sure.

@rheddmobile Sounds like a great set-up for your mom. I'd say it was a day well spent.

And, regarding squirrels, I usually think they are auditioning for a low budget horror movie.....running down the middle of the road when there are woods on both sides that would shield them from the car that is "chasing" them.
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,395 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    @amirahdaboss - I second what everyone else has said, wow! I am SO glad you were not seriously injured! Did the air bag deploy? That is my biggest fear actually because I am so short and have to have the seat so close to reach the pedals it puts me so close to the steering wheel. I think you will be pretty sore for a while but I hope your back is ok!

@rheddmobile - I didn't know that Apple had an iPhone that could do all of that. We got our elderly neighbor (also in her 80s) an alert thingy after a fall outside where she was injured and only found because a neighbor's dog kept barking. She just has to push a button and it notifies a central location who contacts us as well as the police. She has also an iPhone but doesn't carry it around with her and when asked about her alert she has no idea where she left it... If your mom is concerned though, hopefully she will keep her phone with her at all times. I may look into getting our friend those features on her phone as she is more likely to have it than an alert she put 'somewhere'.
    ETA - just reread your post and realized it is the Apple Watch phone combo so she doesn't likely have to do anything for the alert to work other than have the watch on and the phone somewhere nearby. Pretty cool!

Squirrels - we have a wall outside my home/office window and the squirrels run up and down it all day long. As do the cats and the hawks fly right over it... I am sure one of these days a hungry cat or hawk is going to snatch one of those squirrels right off the wall!
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    shanaber wrote: »
    @amirahdaboss - I second what everyone else has said, wow! I am SO glad you were not seriously injured! Did the air bag deploy? That is my biggest fear actually because I am so short and have to have the seat so close to reach the pedals it puts me so close to the steering wheel. I think you will be pretty sore for a while but I hope your back is ok!

@rheddmobile - I didn't know that Apple had an iPhone that could do all of that. We got our elderly neighbor (also in her 80s) an alert thingy after a fall outside where she was injured and only found because a neighbor's dog kept barking. She just has to push a button and it notifies a central location who contacts us as well as the police. She has also an iPhone but doesn't carry it around with her and when asked about her alert she has no idea where she left it... If your mom is concerned though, hopefully she will keep her phone with her at all times. I may look into getting our friend those features on her phone as she is more likely to have it than an alert she put 'somewhere'.
    ETA - just reread your post and realized it is the Apple Watch phone combo so she doesn't likely have to do anything for the alert to work other than have the watch on and the phone somewhere nearby. Pretty cool!

Squirrels - we have a wall outside my home/office window and the squirrels run up and down it all day long. As do the cats and the hawks fly right over it... I am sure one of these days a hungry cat or hawk is going to snatch one of those squirrels right off the wall!

Squirrels: not a fan, they like to leap over from the tree onto my bird feeder and tip it sideways, pour it onto the ground, then stuff it all in their pouches and hoard it. My yard doesn’t really allow for a feeder not within jumping reach of a tree - since a squirrel can jump quite some distance - and they can empty one in about half an hour.

@amirahdaboss hoping your back isn’t injured! That looks terrible, yikes.

Re: old people and the Apple Watch: the new series 4 has a fall detection algorithm, which according to consumer testing I’ve looked at, works pretty well as far as detecting actual falls and not just rapid movements. If a fall is detected, it waits fifteen seconds for the person to move, and if they don’t move it pops up a message saying, “You have fallen, are you okay?” If no answer it starts a countdown, which can be cancelled by a finger tap. If not cancelled it calls 911 and the person’s contact list. If the person needs to call 911 at any time, there’s a button on the side to hold. My mom took a class yesterday in how to use her watch and is still confused but she is going back for a second class. Which leaves two issues - she is concerned about not wearing it while the battery charges, and she is worried she will forget to mute it when she is at the symphony. We’re hoping this extends her ability to live safely in her current circumstances. We moved in with her for a while when my father was in his last illness, and will do it again if we have to, but it wasn’t ideal for anyone!
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 6,003 Member
    Options
    @polskagirl01 Glad everyone avoided a collision and you lived to see another day. Lots of scary close calls with this group lately. Everyone be extra careful out there!

@lporter229 That sounds like an awful experience. Glad you were able to at least get a dry sweatshirt. I'm really sorry, but I laughed at the goose poop on the top of your shoe...trying to imagine how that could happen and you not notice. ;)
  • polskagirl01
    polskagirl01 Posts: 2,010 Member
    Options
    @lporter229 ugggh, glad you finally got that hot shower! I hope your next run makes up for this one being yucky afterwards.
  • AmyOutOfControl
    AmyOutOfControl Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options
    I worked out with a friend today, and did a mile as a cardio warm up before strength training. Pretty sure this is gonna be my last run for the month.
    So I leave the gym and start driving home when some *kitten* teenager who isn’t paying attention rams into my car while I’m stopped at a red light. He hit me so hard I slammed into the car stopped in front of me and it ultimately resulted in a 4 car pileup. Luckily I escaped with minimal injuries, but my back is killing me so I doubt I will be working out for at least a few days. Heading to the ER to get the back checked out tomorrow morning. powdxu0b1l1w.jpeg
    myw1s8t9kqit.jpeg

March running
    3/6: 3.1 miles
    3/8: 3.1 miles
    3/10: 3.8 miles
    3/11: 1 mile
    3/12: 1 mile
    3/13: 1 mile
    3/14: 2.4 miles
    3/15: 1.2 miles
    3/17: 3.6 miles
    3/19: 1.3 miles
    3/20: 1.5 miles
    3/22: 2 miles
    3/23: 2 miles
    3/26: 2 miles
    3/27: 1 mile
    3/29: 1 mile
    Cumulative miles: 31 miles/I have no idea miles

@amirahdaboss Those pictures look bad!!! Was the teenager in car that crumpled like tinfoil? You mentioned they rammed you. Ugh, I hope your back feels better and everyone is okay. How scary!!!