WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR APRIL 2019

Options

Replies

• GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,635 Member
    Options
    the expenses for food vary so much! It's super interesting to see the differences of on food/gasoline(petrol)...

I try to stay around $50 per month on food at the grocery - little meat, lots of home grown items; and although we have different stores than Michelle has I also do lots of discount shopping. And when someone gives me a garden overflow I do what I can to store it. so like right now my morning fruit is applesauce I made and canned last fall. With the skins and just cinnamon and nutmeg - no sugar. I eat out usually just one meal a month, and eat 2 lunches a week at the camp I am the gardener at.. (meals are free there)

It's a challenge to be on a budget!

smiles Kim
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,932 Member
    Options
    Lists

I've got a list a kilometre long for my personal stuff (that's the 50+ item list I mentioned earlier), but work has been so busy lately and I've been taking on so many new things there, that I've decided to create a list for that too!! That one is shaping up to be another 50+ item list, but hopefully over a 3-month period. And I did do one item on that list today already!!

In the next hour, I've got to make a call to get going on one of the items on my personal list and resubmit some data which is an item on my work list ... and then I'll be heading out the door to get my root canal finished (personal list item). Better get busy!

Machka in Oz
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,842 Member
    Options
    B)
  • auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,500 Member
    Options
    Machka thanks for the link. Loved the US five and dimes, their lunch counters, wooden floors and penny candies. Was sad to read the Australian chain had no historical link to F.W. Woolworth Company, the signs and pictures sure looked the same! Like Beth, I thought food and gas were high in our small coastal community. WOW!
    Betsy so glad to hear your eye pressure stable at 6 months. Gives me hope for Joe.
    Barbie love your "just smiled and took credit" ;)
    Allie, ditto Margaret's excellent advice and Felicia's concerns. Kim's right, job search is now job # 1, imho.
    Kay great deal on those curtains!
    Penny, remind me what and how many students you teach?
    Tracey hope you can get some relief from that rib pain. Hard to present your best workface when you're hurting.
    Katla, ah yes "Walk eeees!" Loved Barbara Woodhouse. Also loved seeing river otters back in Boise. :) Haven't seen any here yet.
    Rori hope the massage has you feeling better soon! I go every month, couldn't wait eight weeks, much less since November, my body would stiffen up and refuse to dance!
    Vicki 12-14 hour workday? :noway:
    Heather what a blessing you are to your friend, to be someone she can talk to about her funeral wishes.
    Laura in LA happy TOPS anniversary!
    Kim your food budget is amazing!

Welcome Ginnytez, let us know what you'd like to be called and your general locale.

Leash arm left over from Saturday's struggle brought me to the chiropractor today. She really worked me over. Time for an aspirin and bed. Hope the therapeutic masseuse tomorrow has some mercy.

Lighter, lovelies!
    f8qt1s098sxm.gifBarbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD
    walk one more step 3/30, 60 g protein 3/30, rx/vits 3/30, meditate 2/30, knee exercises 2/30, SWSY 0/30, play with Tumble 3/30, hang up or purge art 0/4 AF 2/30.
    Word for 2019: "GOOD" good attitude, good food, good times, good choices, good enough, feel good, GOOD!
    04/04 LT: SWSY-N MT: walk Tumble-Y ST: listen to Ray-Y
  • wizzywig
    wizzywig Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    :)
  • Machka9
    Options
    Root canal ... finished!! It took 3 appointments, but it's done. Next week, I get a different tooth fixed and filled, and my husband also has a dental appointment.

Between the dental appointments and the new glasses ... it's been an expensive couple weeks!

M in Oz

• grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,727 Member
    Options
    morning ladies~ I am up and staggering.. having my tea and will watch Joyce... then hop in the shower and get ready for work, have to go walk the boys and be back here for the contractor.. they didn't come back last night as promised and will be here for 8 am today so will go over early and walk them. have to work at 10 and Chris will be here at 8 am.. and then that will be done.. would not hire him again as he has his hand in to many pots..
  • ginnytez
    ginnytez Posts: 1,338 Member
    Options
    Morning all: having a cup of coffee before starting the day. I have turned into an early riser the last couple of years. Going to do do some stretches and a shorter time on treadmill this am before work. Planning on a shorter work day today since I need to use some vacation time. Going to a butcher shop about 20 minutes away to get some meat for the month (they have the no antibiotics, etc,).

I am growing fond of the new routine (or old one I am getting back into). Doing some sort of work out in morning has me getting to work at 8, and since I work until 5 that gives me my 8. I spend 30 minutes of lunch walking around building. The two activity times are giving me more energy.

Hope everyone has a good day.

@auntiebk - Ginny is good and I am from Ohio.
  • Machka9
    Options
    I have absolutely no idea how much I spend on food and groceries for the month. :* I just know it is a LOT. :o It comes out of the joint account, so as long as we are not in the red I just carry on buying what we like, when we like. I try not to be super extravagant and we rarely have left overs or waste food (I make a great veg curry from the bits at the bottom of the fridge), but I do like good food.

We also like good food. For example, I could buy Woolworth's bread for $1.50 a loaf but ... it's just not worth it. We usually pay about $3.90 for a much better quality bread.

I don't keep really detailed track of expenses, but definitely have a pretty good idea. I've got a spreadsheet going. :)

M in Oz
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,727 Member
    Options
    Happy Belated Lisa~ dont worry girlfriend im gonna hit that number end of June and I will go into it gracefully~ I haven't felt this good in years and will live every day to its fullest~
  • KJLaMore
    KJLaMore Posts: 2,830 Member
    Options
    Only have a quick minute. Chiming in on groceries. I am well aware of how good we have it here in the states as compared to other areas in the world when it comes to variety/cost of our groceries. I spend (on average) $125-$150/week on groceries. I would say 10-15% of that is meat, about 25% is produce, 10-15% is dairy/cheeses, about 25% is cleaning supplies and toiletries. The rest tends to be miscellaneous items (baking aisle, condiments, special ingredients). I have tried to go lower than that, but with three adults and seven little ones and 21 meals in a week (plus snacks), I think I do pretty well. We eat out once or twice a month and it is usually someplace that we have a gift card or coupon for (or someplace inexpensive). You will also never hear me complain about the cost of gasoline/petrol. Right now the cost of gas in Michigan is about $2.50/gallon. Locals always complain when it rises; but I remember a few years back, taking my girl scouts to Savannah and gas was over $4/gallon! I also know that other countries pay even more than that for their petrol. I don't travel much, so it really doesn't bother me.
    Heather- So happy your visit with your friend went well; and it speaks very well of her trust in you to open up and talk about her funeral arrangements. Not an easy thing to talk about. Sending hugs! <3
    Pip- Going toe to toe with Kirby? Or just playing footsie? ;)
    Ginger and Lisa- Good to see you again!

ttfn xoxoxo KJ (Kelly)
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    Dollars spent on groceries is a sore spot for me. My partner buys too much food and much of it goes to waste. Discussions about it are to no avail. So I just try to let it go, because she is unable or unwilling to stop overbuying food. This is one of our few bones of contention, fortunately.

Michele, what is the Green Room?

Karen in Virginia
  • prisoner2food
    prisoner2food Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Still plugging along trying to get some energy back after a bout of pneumonia.
    Goals for April
    Walk more
    Log food at least 3 days a week
    Lose 5 pounds.

Karen in BC
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,941 Member
    Options
    :) There is a group of men and women in the front two rows in my line dance class who are over 80 (one will turn 91 next month). They all help me feel young.

:) We spend a lot of money on good food and almost nothing on clothing, accessories, and gifts.

<3 Barbie in NW WA
  • 1948Peachy
    1948Peachy Posts: 1,511 Member
    Options
    :)